Quantcast How do you go about renting a wheelchair??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default How do you go about renting a wheelchair??

So our mother in law is going on our trip with us post appendectomy! She is going to take it very easy... but how does everyone go about renting a very lightweight wheelchair?? I would kind of like to get one before we even get to the airport.. so she doesn't have to walk around the airport... any info appreciated!
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

As many times as I've been to Cincinnati, I still don't know where to start looking for a wheelchair rental beyond the yellow pages. You might, however, go with Apple Scooter at WDW (or a similar service - I've only used Apple). Generally in the airports, they will provide wheelchairs or transportation to those who need it. So, you would only need something at WDW. The wheelchair and scooter rentals on property are beyond ridiculous, but we used Apple Scooter last time and had a great experience. They brought it right to our resort. It was waiting when we arrived and was very easy to move around and store in the room.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Not sure how long you're going for, but a quick check shows that a one-week wheelchair rental might run you about $70. As Chris says, the airlines will provide a wheelchair and a person who will accompany the person in the chair (and push... but that might be what I experienced because I was travelling a single mom these trips) ... note: call ahead to arrange for this for both legs of your flight ahead of time. If you're going to bring a chair with you, also notify the airlines about it.

Also, note: if you're using DME, you might have a problem with getting a chair to meet you at the bus on the way home (this was an unfortunate experience I had during a post-surgery trip and having to walk a long distance had negative consequences). Hopefully, this policy will have changed by now.

My suggestion is that you consider purchasing a chair, depending on the length of your trip. You can find them at a pharmacy, big box discounters or even Amazon (or try at Salvation Army). They're also available for rental at medical supply companies.

One last thing: there's a difference between a transport chair and regular chair. If your MIL is going to be sitting in it all day, a regular chair will be more comfortable for her.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Another idea would be to get a script from her dr for a wheelchair rental, or purchase. This might then be covered by her insurance. You will then have it through the airport and can gate check it for free, and have it for whatever else you might want it for.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Another rental company in Orlando is Buena Vista Scooters. Call one of the rental companies and explain what you need - they should be able to quote you a price and make the arrangements you need.
    Kathy șoș

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

I think my sis used Walker Wheelchair rentals when she couldn't take the walking because of her back problems. They bring it right to the hotel and pick it up there as well. And as others have said you can use one of the airport wheelchairs for free. Just let them know you'll need it at the gate and they'll bring it to you.
    șoșKathyșoș TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

My mom used walker wheelchair rentals twice because she has knee problems and there very friendly.They deliver the wheelchair to the hotel and pick it up for you.I think they also have scooter rentals too.
    4/1985,10/1997,6/2000,7/2002-off site 7/2003-AS Music
    7/2005,2/2006,8/2007-POR
    2/08-AS Movies
    7/08,2/09,8/09,3/10-Pop Century
    11/10,8/11,8/12,11/12, 3/13,8/13 AS Sports
    Next trip???
    "It all started with a mouse"

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: