Quantcast Netflix? - advise

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Netflix? - advise

I'm looking at getting Netflix (through Wii or XBox) and cutting the movie channels from the cable TV. At around $9 it seems like a good deal. Anyone have anything positive or negative to say about the service? Thanks.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've had it for almost a year, now, and we love it. We go for both the online and the single DVDs so that we can see the entire list of movies they have.

Be aware that they only have certain properties for limited periods of time (up to a year or two), and so they can disappear. They'll probably come back, but not for several years.

If you wish to find exactly that movie and get distressed when it's not there, this might not be the service for you. However, if you like to prowl through unknown back titles, foreign titles, old TV shows (Dragnet, Quantum Leap, etc.) as well as the biggie movies both recent and not, then it's the best!

We've never had movie channels, and when we would stay at motels that had them, they never showed me what I wanted to see at the time I wanted to see it, so I don't think you'll be missing anything.

Just my 11.4 cents at 1972 dollars.

Disneyland Anaheim JUL66
    Cocoa Beach Hilton SEP86
    [just passing through] OCT94
    Coronado Springs JAN03, DEC06
    Caribbean Beach FEB05
    Disney Magic DEC06
    Fort Wilderness AUG08, AUG09
    Port Orleans French Quarter AUG11
    ???????????????????? XXX14

Post Thanks / Like

We have it and it's great. At first, I had some trouble getting new releases. We'd have to wait a long time (mail, not streaming through Wii). I think that must have been just the area where we live though because other people told me they didn't have that issue. Now we get them pretty much right away. Through the mail it's quick too. Haven't tried the streaming yet.

One thing I don't like, and it's no big deal, but it's hard to find out what the newest DVD releases are. You click on new releases and it has a few buried in there with things that have been out for several months. Maybe I am looking in the wrong place. Now I search online first like say at Blockbuster to see what the latest releases are and what's coming, then I add them to my Netflix queue. Again no major issue but I almost feel like they don't want everyone knowing because it'd be too much demand. LOL just my theory though.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

My Mom has it. She gets two DVDs at a time at home plus streaming. (I just poach and steal her streaming on my laptop )

I love the streaming. You get tv shows and movies. If you want new releases though its not the best. It does take some time for new release movies to become streaming accessible.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    My Mom has it. She gets two DVDs at a time at home plus streaming. (I just poach and steal her streaming on my laptop )
    You may not be able to do this much longer, legally speaking! There was a bill introduced to Tennessee's legislature that would make password sharing a felony.

We have had Netflix on and off since 2005. I think it is well worth the money, just for the streaming alone.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

It is Great!

Post Thanks / Like

I have the streaming plus 1 DVD at a time. I stream wireless through my Wii. It was very easy to set up and easy to use.

We really like it. The DVD lets us get new releases and the streaming is always available. There are newer movies available through Starz and it is great for tv shows too.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    One thing I don't like, and it's no big deal, but it's hard to find out what the newest DVD releases are. You click on new releases and it has a few buried in there with things that have been out for several months.
    Here's what I do: click on the "New Arrivals" tab. The third category down is "Released by ____". You can indicate how far back you want to go, from 1 week to 12 months. The only films that pop up will be the ones released within that time frame.

I love Netflix. Right now we have the 3 DVD's at a time option, but I'm going to scale back to one, since we've been using the streaming option (when we can) more than the regular DVD's lately.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

We do the streaming only. I can watch it through my Ipad and also through our TV. It is well worth the money expecially with all the TV series they have on there! We love us some netflix

Post Thanks / Like

Did the exact thing about a year ago. Best decision I made in a while! Lots of content available for streaming, and we occasionally get a DVD
    Holiday Villas (2000 & 2001)
    Parc Corniche (2002 & 2007)
    Comfort Inn Lake Buena vista (2008)
    Port Orleans Riverside (2009 & 2010)
    Pop Century Resort (2011 & 2012)

Post Thanks / Like

Just a word of caution...

I'm a big fan of "streaming" or whatever you want to refer to getting movies/TV shows off the Internet as. Unfortunately, it's a four letter word to your Internet provider (which more often than not is also your TV provider). As you can imagine, this is quite the conflict of interest.

Many Internet Service Providers (ISPs) are implementing caps on their previously "unlimited" service. This cap is many times, not an issue for folks, UNTIL they start online distribution of media.

Two biggies are:

Comcast (and it pains me to use their real name) has a 250 gigabyte cap. If you go over the 250G once, you get a warning, however second time, you're shut off for 1 year. With Comcast, you're really gambling however, as theres seem to be other factors, like you node must be congested and you have to be the biggest users, but those are gambles as you just don't know those. You only get your bandwidth meter. COX I think is right there with Comcast, although I don't hear much about their caps. They may not be fully rolled out yet.

AT&T has a 150G cap on DSL, and 250G cap on U-Verse. After you hit that hard cap, expect to be billed $10 for each 50G you go over.

I'm routinely flirting with my cap on a monthly basis. Usually within about 4-5 gigs...

I dropped Dish about 7 months ago and have no traditional TV service in my house. Nobody misses it, but I like the $100 extra in my pocket each month.

So, it's nice, although new releases by design are not in the service, but it does take some management. You have two or three people pulling movies/tv shows regularly and you can really hit up against that cap easily.

Post Thanks / Like

I love Netflix, but full disclosure, I use it only for British period flicks I can't get elsewhere. I do the $4.95/month for one DVD at a time. Works for me.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow Melanie, you have a great rate! We pay $10 for 1 DVD and streaming.

We cancelled our cable service about a year ago, replaced it with Netflix and haven't looked back since! We've been so happy with it. The only downside I can think of is that now I'm watching more TV than I did before. We have Comcast and have never had any problems with the amount that we watch through the streaming service, never had any warnings, etc. There are tons of shows and movies available for instant view, and what isn't is available on DVD. It does sometimes take a bit longer to get the new releases, but for the value we're getting, we don't really care! The turnaround in the mail has been amazingly fast.

When we want to supplement, we pick things up from the library. Replacing cable with Netflix has been a huge value! Especially since we hardly ever watched TV when we had cable. It was basically 100 channels of nothing, or if there was something interesting it wasn't on at a convenient time for us. We were never people who would sit down and watch a show at a set time every week.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Here's what I do: click on the "New Arrivals" tab. The third category down is "Released by ____". You can indicate how far back you want to go, from 1 week to 12 months. The only films that pop up will be the ones released within that time frame.
    Thanks! See I knew there was some way to find it. I will try that tonight.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    Thanks! See I knew there was some way to find it. I will try that tonight.
    You're welcome. I knew my knowledge of Netflix would come in handy one day!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    Mel's price is for just one dvd at a time 2 dvd's a month and up to 2 hours of streaming per month but only on a PC or Mac and no Starz play.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    You may not be able to do this much longer, legally speaking! There was a bill introduced to Tennessee's legislature that would make password sharing a felony.

We have had Netflix on and off since 2005. I think it is well worth the money, just for the streaming alone.

What if you have wifi in your house ,does that mean we can't play net flix on all our computers or it will be stealing?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not hi tech..
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheVBs View Post
    I double-checked and I pay $5.34/month, and that includes streaming as well. Wonder why yours is so much more?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tiggerlovr9000 View Post
    What if you have wifi in your house ,does that mean we can't play net flix on all our computers or it will be stealing?? Sorry if this is a dumb question but I am not hi tech..
    I believe you're not supposed to stream to multiple devices at the same time with the same account. It might even be a technical limitation they control. I thought I read about them thinking of introducing a "family" plan that would allow this, but I really don't keep up with Netflix policies and procedures.

I currently have three TVs with home theater PCs connected to them. My media is stored on a central file server and any PC can watch anything within my library or from any of the 6 TV tuners I have available. According to them, I'd need three accounts to watch Netflix on all of my TVs, and that's just not going to happen. Maybe when they get their act together, I'll see about checking them out. For now, I don't have a need for their service.

Post Thanks / Like

Our plan includes 3 DVDs and streaming. We have 9 devices (not including PCs and laptotps) that can stream videos off Netflix. I've never had a problem with anyone accessing Netflix off more than one device at a time. It sounds like this could potentially change in the future. I hope not because this adds to the convenience of the service.

Netflix hasn't caused us to give up satellite, but if the need ever arose, I think we'd be OK.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: