Quantcast First time planner

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First time planner

This will be my 7th time vacationing at WDW, but my FIRST time going without my parents, which also means the FIRST time I am planning the trip all by myself!!!!! My boyfriend and I already have reservations for All-Star Music, ADRs, know all the magic hours, and have where we can eat for our special diets all planned out!!! This is also our first time flying! I booked the flight! I have a fairly early arrivaltime 10am and a fairly late departure time 5pm (we want to be in WDW as long as possible)!!!

Who else out there is a first time planner? What tips might anyone have for us first-time-planners!? Also, any airport travel tips? Thanks!!!!!!
    Next trip officially booked!!! Sept 13, 2011!!!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't over plan. When I first started going I would try to plan out my days too intricately and ended up feeling rushed. Now I just plan out what parks I will attend on specific days & my ADR's. Then I just go with the flow & everything is much more relaxing & enjoyable now.

One thing that I do that helps a lot is to put all my ADR's on the calendar on my blackberry. Then I set an alarm to remind me 30 mins before the ADR time. This way I don't get caught up in the magic, loose track of time, and end up late to the restaurant. I even put the confirmation number in the comments field just in case Disney lost it in the system.
    I also set alarm reminders for anything I want to remember to do at a park. For example, I never tried the carrot cake cookie from the writers stop in DHS & always forget when I'm there. So last year on the day I knew I would be there, I set a reminder.
    șoș Joe șoș
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I've not yet moved into electronic intineraries but I do create a simple table in Word to help me keep track of all the important things - flight times and number, reservation and Advanced dining numbers, park hours, and which park I plan to be in on which day.

I would agree about not overplanning. Keep your schedule loose enough that you can do spur of the moment things - stop to watch that performance, take a break.

Don't try to do it all. Do what's most important to you and fit in whatever else you can but don't stress about it or feel like you have to stay in the park until midnight if you're dragging by 10 p.m.

Familiarize yourself with TSA rules before you get to the airport so you know what's allowed and what isn't. Wear shoes that are easy to slip off and on (you'll have to take them off when going through security). If you're taking a laptop with you, be prepared to pull it out and have it go through security in a separate tray.

Sounds like you're well organized! I'm sure you'll have a wonderful trip!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

So exciting! Just enjoy - make dinner reservations - you can always cancel if your plans change. Half the fun is planning/dreaming.

I agree with other poster - I used to over plan and be stressed about seeing everything. I still do a lot of reading on Intercot, but now I just enjoy how things unfold! It's always works out better than my plans anyway.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Allstar Music TOO!

Congratulations on your FIRST adult trip! Here's to many many more...

We also will be staying at Allstar Music.

One of things we TRY TO DO is take an evening and enjoy a MOVIE BY THE CALYPSO POOL, maybe
    even a pizza but not sure if that's in your food diet plan? It's really cool setting in or beside the pool and watching a Disney Movie. They post what the MOVIE is by the pool deck during the day.

If your NOT going into a PARK on your arriving day and your NOT getting in TOO late, catch the bus to the MK, but DON'T go in. Then catch the monorail and do the MK loop around the RESORTS. If you time it, you can get off at the Poly, go out on the beach and catch the Electrical Water Padget followed by WISHES.
    This makes a great first night without using a ticket. All FREE.

Since we drive, I can't be too much help with the Airport except I know you catch the Magic Express from MCO (Orlando) to your resort.

Enjoy you Disney Vacation!
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Post Thanks / Like

As has been said, don't overplan. Build a rough itinerary but leave room for adjustments. The only times set in stone should be ADR's.

If you put the notes into a spreadsheet or document on computer, email it to yourself and print out extra copies. Then put in the reminders on your phone or blackberry or whatever. Have a backup of the plan somewhere.

Don't stress if plans change or if someone decides to veer offplan. You can come back to it later.

Most importantly, have fun and enjoy.

The only advice I give for flying is to wear comfortable clothing and slip on shoes - stuff that is easy to remove and put back on.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count