Quantcast First Trip to DL - Day 1

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default First Trip to DL - Day 1

Who: Me, Matt (11), Molly (8)
    When: June 13 through 16
    Where: Best Western Anaheim Inn

This was our first trip ever to the Disneyland parks. We’ve been to WDW too many times to count, but never out to CA. Hubby couldn’t get time off from work so, once again, it was just me and the kids. I was able to keep the trip a secret from the kids until the day before. When I told them they were so excited! I’ve never done anything like that before and it was really so much fun! They could hardly believe we were really going.

We had to get up really, really, early on Monday morning because we had a 6am flight from Denver to Phoenix, and then a short flight to Orange County. We actually got out the door right at 3:30 as planned and had plenty of time to check our bags and get to our gate. Both flights were very smooth and without event.

We arrived in CA around 10:30 and waited at the airport about 30 minutes for the Disneyland Express to take us to our hotel. We were the 2nd to the last stop but were all checked in and on our way to the parks by 11:30. Having never been there before, I didn’t really know where I was going and ended up taking the really long way from our hotel and entering through Downtown Disney. Little did I know, if I made a right instead of a left when leaving our hotel, we were only ½ a block from the parks instead of walking what felt like close to a mile. Oh well, live and learn!

We started out at California Adventure. After getting the GAC pass for my son, we were on our way. The GAC was a life saver! We’ve never used one before and generally if a line is more than 20 minutes, we need to leave, it’s just too much for him to take. With this pass, we were able to wait away from too many people and, in general, the wait was never more than 10 minutes. We all benefitted from this – no melt downs, no me losing patience because he’s climbing on railings or playing with the chains, etc. Anyway, we were able to do all of what we wanted to do at CA, with the exception of Soarin, by about 3:30 or so. We really enjoyed everything we did there and especially loved the Little Mermaid and the rapids ride. So much fun. Matt did California Screamin and loved it – Molly wouldn’t try.

So, after we had our fill in CA, we walked across the courtyard to Disneyland. We were all so excited to finally be going to the “first” Disney park. Although it is smaller and feels more cramped in some areas compared to the Magic Kingdom, we all really enjoyed it. We all got a good laugh at the castle though. When we first got there, the afternoon parade was just finishing and we couldn’t see the castle from Main Street because the floats were completely blocking it. It is nice and seems much more “storybook” to me. We were starving at this point and ended up at the Plaza. I had the fried chicken and both kids ordered pasta. I have to say, the chicken was so yummy! Matt fell asleep just as Molly and I were finishing. I let him sleep for about 10 minutes and when he woke up, he was good to go. Our first stop was Star Tours! We had a great first ride and Matt, who is a HUGE Star Wars fan, was so happy to finally be riding the new ride. He then proclaimed that we had to ride it at least once each day of our trip, which we did!

We were able to do quite a lot at Disneyland, focusing mostly on Tomorrowland and were in Toowntown – which I loved! – when I hit the wall. I had been up since 2:30 that morning and just couldn’t do anything else. It was around 9:00 by that time. After the kids went into Chip and Dale’s treehouse, I proclaimed it was time to call it a night. After very little protesting, we walked the right way back to our hotel and were washed up and ready for bed in no time.
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you really packed a lot into your first day. I too love the chicken at the Plaza Inn. Can't wait to hear more.
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report.
    I am reading to get tips as we head to CA and Disneyland the last week of July.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like a happy first day. But, oh my goodness, I'm imagining your walk around the parks to enter through DTD! Good thing you discovered your mistake after just one trip.

Plaza Inn Chicken = my DH's favorite Disneyland meal. Glad you enjoyed it!
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Thanks for the Report!
    ºoº David, Lisa, Aaron and Allison
    98-PO
    00-CB & ASMo
    01-Swan
    02-CS
    03-POR
    04-POP
    05-PO / CR
    07-PO / CR
    08-ASMu
    09-AKL
    10-CR, CS & PP DL
    11-NB DLP & SSR
    12-BLT & BLT
    13-GC DL & BLT
    15-Aulani & BLT
    16-ASMu & GC DL
    17-BWI, THV, CSR, BLT
    18-BLT, OKW, OKW, CBR, GF & BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the report! Man I could use some Plaza Inn fried chicken myself!
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: