Quantcast Favorite Attraction(s) From the Past

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Favorite Attraction(s) From the Past

Hello, sorry if I am beating a dead horse. I am new on this discussion board, but have loved the site for years and have been visiting WDW for almost 40 years. I thought a good way to break the ice at my first ever WDW forum might be to mention my favorite attractions from the past and see what others might be. I really look forward to reading your answers.

There are so many attractions that I miss, but I would have to say that the ride I have missed the most is Skyway, and a close second would be World of Motion.

honorable mentions:
    If You Had Wings
    Horizons
    The Plaza Swan Boats

And a thumbs up if you remember the small steam train in Fort Wilderness Campground.
    72-78, 80, 83, 84, 87, 95 = Fort Wilderness
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    98, 02, 04 = Wilderness Lodge
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    Aug 20-27 2011 Caribbean Beach
    off property =
    71, 82, 85, 86, 88-90, 92, 94, 96, 99, 01, 2010

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

to Intercot!

I miss Horizons, World of Motion, Kitchen Kabaret, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, original version of JII, the previous narration (Jeremy Irons) of SSE (I liked the scenes as you were 'returning to Earth'), and also miss the previous narration of TTA.

Change is good, but I miss the 're-rideability' of some of the classic attractions. Some of the newer attractions are cool, but I'm just not that interested in experiencing them over and over again. I like attention to detail in some of the attractions - you usually see or hear something new on each experience.
    Disney is life......the rest is just details!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say Mr. Toad's Wild ride and Horizons.

Post Thanks / Like

Hands down it is Mr. Toad's Wild Ride for me....that was my favorite ride.
    "My name is Incrediboy"--Syndrome

Visited the "World" 26 times in my 41 years including 10 times the last 6 years!!!
    Next visit: Summer 2012

Post Thanks / Like

to INTERCOT!

Hmmm, well thinking back to Epcot of old, I'd definitely say World of Motion.

Wonder if anyone will say the Mickey Mouse Revue?

Post Thanks / Like

I have a movie of my wife and me walking through the international Gateway where we heard a cast member telling someone that "Yesterday was the final day for Mr. Toad's Wild Ride." We were so depressed that we didnt hit it again the previous day. We had no idea that it was being closed, and in fact wondered why there was such an unusually long line the previous day.

We did however find out just in time before the original Journey into Imagination shut down and was able to get a final journey on it.

I cant believe I forgot to mention the original Main Street Electrical Parade. I remember we use to watch it on the curb, way before the days of having to camp out on the curb hours before the parade came by. Although it has changed, I am so excited to have my daughters finally see the parade that matches the music they have been listening to for 9 years.
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    off property =

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    to INTERCOT!

Hmmm, well thinking back to Epcot of old, I'd definitely say World of Motion.

Wonder if anyone will say the Mickey Mouse Revue?
    First I thank you all for the warm welcomes. Next, yes, what a great show, although the explosion with Donald Duck use to scare me to death.
    Last edited by 1971; 07-06-2011 at 07:12 PM. Reason: word spelling
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    off property =

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1971 View Post
    First I thank you all for the warm welcomes. Next, yes, what a great show, although the explosion with Donald Duck use to scare me to death.
    LOL! I had never seen it in Florida, but saw it in Tokyo a few years back, as it moved there after closing here. Maybe if I'd seen it earlier in my life I'd have a better appreciation and some nostalgia attached, but boy is the technology crazy outdated. It was almost painful to watch. It's now closed there as well to make way for Philharmagic.

Post Thanks / Like

gotta vote for my faves...

1.Body Wars-Some people complained that it was too rough, but I say the human body isn't always pleasant.

2.World of Motion-It's not that Test Track isn't great. On the contrary, it's one of my faves. Still there's nothing better than a great dark ride with a good story.

3.El Rio Del Tiempo-I always liked this ride. It was a nice sitdown in a great pavilion, it told a decent story, had some really good animatronics, and was in my favorite park. Then for some reason they felt the need to dumb it down to below elementary school mindset and zap the culture and history out of it. Oh the humanity...

4.The OLD Backlot Tour-I was lucky enough to see this one in '95 and it was such a neat thing for a teenager to see. Fast forward to today and I'm not really sure why it's still there if half the attraction is gone. I say revamp or move on.

Geez, that sounded harsh lol. With all that said there is nothing better than WDW, and there is so little I would change about it. I just like to reminisce a little...
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

My memories of missing attractions are precious because of the people with whom I shared the attractions...including some of the ones going with me this week. Horizons was a great ride, but sharing it with our kids made it even better....
    If You Had Wings brings back special memories of our first trip, and the many rides DD#2 shared with her DGM...
    And World of Motion was a personal favorite..at the time, I ranked it with POTC as a favorite.
    I enjoyed the DL version of 20,000 Leagues more (perhaps because I was studying Oceanography at Post Grad School at the time), but the MK version was cool, too. Lines were too long, and often in the sun, and it wasn't a big hit with most of the family.
    Next Visit-June 2013

75,80,81,82,99,02,03,05 CR
    83,85 FW (Cabins)
    84 Poly
    96, 04, 06, 07, 08, 10, 11 SoG
    99 WL
    2000 (Christmas) DL (POR)

Post Thanks / Like

Sandman,

I do miss World of Motion. I loved how the ride spiraled outside, and I personally think it is sad to slowly see all the taste of 80s architecture and design disappear. For a good taste of that same design, I like the bathroom area in the Electric umbrella, it still has that same wall to wall and ceiling to floor carpeting that reminds me of my grandmother, rest her soul.

Yes, the technology for the Mickey Mouse Review is certainly outdated to today's standards but as a kid, I couldn't believe that I was able to see all the Disney characters like that together. I remember wanting to see it but holding my hands over my ears because it was too noisy for me. To think of all that has been housed there since its departure.

Talk about outdated technology, I remember thinking how comical the attraction Mission to Mars was. I couldn't believe how corny the attraction was and to think it remained there for close to 20 years. I actually have faint memories of when it was to the "moon."

What I think is interesting is how the basic layout of the Alien Encounter and now Stitch's Great Escape still can remind me of the Mission to Mars theater.
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    off property =

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wdwfansince75 View Post
    My memories of missing attractions are precious because of the people with whom I shared the attractions...including some of the ones going with me this week. Horizons was a great ride, but sharing it with our kids made it even better....
    If You Had Wings brings back special memories of our first trip, and the many rides DD#2 shared with her DGM...
    And World of Motion was a personal favorite..at the time, I ranked it with POTC as a favorite.
    I enjoyed the DL version of 20,000 Leagues more (perhaps because I was studying Oceanography at Post Grad School at the time), but the MK version was cool, too. Lines were too long, and often in the sun, and it wasn't a big hit with most of the family.
    You hit the nail on the head. I too miss these extinct attractions not so much because they were thrilling or amazing in anyway, but because they remind me of the people I rode them with. Earlier I mentioned about a hallway in the Electric Umbrella that reminded me of my grandmother, and that was because I can remember her often watching us in that hall while my mother was changing one of my younger siblings in that bathroom.
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    off property =

Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else miss the Penny Arcade or Magic Shop? I use to buy a magic trick every year. Later it moved to Fanatasyland from Main Street.
    79 = Contemporary Resort
    81 = Polynesian Resort
    93 = Port Orleans
    06, 08 = Pop Century
    off property =

Post Thanks / Like

Alien Encounter
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my...where to start? I liked the Skyway as long as I was in it and not under it! Liked 20,000 Leagues as long as I could get on 1st thing in the AM But my fave lost attraction is not really an attraction. I loved the old River Country. The new water parks are great! Love Summitt PLummett and SharK Reef. But there was just something more relaxing about the "old fashioned swimmming hole" atmosphere that I really enjoyed! Was sorry to see it go.
    1974 - Off Property
    1975 - Poly
    1980 - Golf Resort (Honeymoon)
    1881 - Golf Resort
    1982 - Poly
    1983 - Contemporary
    1989 - CBR (10th anniversay)
    1998 - CBR (DD 1st trip )
    2001 - CBR
    2003 - WL
    2004 - WL (25th anniversary)
    2005 - WL
    2006 - WL
    2010 - WL

Post Thanks / Like

Welcome and nice topic.

I didn't start going to WDW until many of the classic attractions mentioned earlier (World of Motion, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, etc.) were already replaced.

However, the attraction I miss most is Alien Encounter. I remember being blown away the first time I rode it.

Another ride I miss is Cranium Command. My DD8 would love that ride on this upcoming trip.

On another note: I miss Donald's Breakfast Restaurasaurus at AK.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TinkRocks View Post
    to Intercot!

I miss Horizons, World of Motion, Kitchen Kabaret, Mr. Toad's Wild Ride, original version of JII, the previous narration (Jeremy Irons) of SSE (I liked the scenes as you were 'returning to Earth'), and also miss the previous narration of TTA.

Change is good, but I miss the 're-rideability' of some of the classic attractions. Some of the newer attractions are cool, but I'm just not that interested in experiencing them over and over again. I like attention to detail in some of the attractions - you usually see or hear something new on each experience.
    DITTO plus the Swan boats, 2000 leagues under, skyway
    Mmmmmmmmm Egg roll cart!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I only started going to the parks in 2003 but here are my couple....

1. The ride in Mexico Epcot-can't remember the name but I am not a fan of the replacement

2. Alien Encounter-although I don't seem to hate Stitch as much as some on here, I admit that Alien Encounter was somewhat better.

3. Toontown-I will miss this quite a bit

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I miss seeing Future Corps in Epcot. Being a Drum Corps fan (hence the name), there was something appealing about playing in a drum corps that got paid, instead of having to pay!
    DVC Owner: BCV in 2002 & AKV in 2008
    18 visits home between 2000 and 2014
    Next up:
    AKV in September 2014
    BCV in December 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 1971 View Post
    And a thumbs up if you remember the small steam train in Fort Wilderness Campground.
    1971 - I was right behind you in 1972 at Fort Wilderness Campground!

I was also lucky enough to ride the Ft. Wilderness Steam Train with our Dad who was also a Southern Railroad Man!

I miss several things from the past....MOSTLY the "Ports O Call "and the "Southern Seas"!
    They were the two actual Steam Driven sidewheel Paddle Boats that traveled the waters of Bay Lake and the Seven Seas Lagoon. During the day one took guest departing from out front of the Magic Kingdom on the WORLD CRUISE and later took guest to DISCOVEY ISLAND located between the Contemporary Resort and Fort Wilderness Campground. An actual island filled with birds, different animals, plants and flowers with a winding pathway around the island.
    Disney's FIRST Animal Kingdom!

At night, one of the two Steam Boats carried guest around the quiet DISNEY waters on the MOONLIGHT CRUISE. Picking up guest from the Contemporary, Fort Wilderness and the Polynesian Resort docks, they were taken on a night time excursion with the perfect view of the Electrical Water Pageant and the Magic Kingdom Fireworks. Hot and Cold Drinks, Snacks and Adult Beverages were served from bar aboard the Ports O Call/Southern Seas.
    I can still hear the sound of the paddle wheels pushing the 100 foot Steam Boat through the water without another sound to be heard!

• The Skyway at night!
    • Nick Russo and Gabriel's Brass - Fantasy Land behind Dumbo
    • Wedway People Mover
    • The Original "Now is the time, Now is the Best time" from GE Carrousel
    • AND YES....The Penny Arcade crank movies!

Another thumbs up to those that remember the Chinese Junk that used to port at the Polynesian Village and was available for private charters. You'll never guess who Disney bought it from???
    1972- FW 1st WDW trip/Dad
    73-79 WDW Cast(Water Craft)
    1980 - 2005 - FW,ASM, PO,Poly
    Sept 28-Oct 6, 2007 - DW 50th
    Sept 6-19, 2009 ASM Calypso 25th Annv.
    Sept 23-Oct 1, 2011. Calypso w/Dash, his 1st Disney Trip
    Dec 9-19, 2012Christmas
    Oct 2-14, 2013 ASM
    Sep13-24. 30th Anniv. Sports

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: