Quantcast Broken Down Attractions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Broken Down Attractions

Maybe it is just me but another comment on another thread reminded me of this.

On our last trip it seemed that attractions just kept on breaking down. Space Mountain, Splash Mountain, Pirates, HM, TTA, etc....
    It seemed it was mostly at MK. We were there for a week so it wasn't the end of the world if we didn't get on something that day (although we did have fastpasses for Splash to be our last ride of our trip but it was broke down so we couldn't)

I guess I was just thinking if I was only at MK for one day paying $85 to be there and have attractions breaking down I would be pretty upset. I realize these rides run year around but many have been shut down for refurbs and annual repairs? Is WDW letting things go? Are they more focused on expansion rather than maintaining their current attractions? I am not saying that they are, just a thought.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default MK, broken magic.

We went in June. We had huge issues with the rides, though mostly at MK.
    AK, Everest was closed most of the day.
    MGM, Toy Story Mania was broke down for a short time, then stopped several times while we were on it..
    Epcot, the Maelstrom had some issues, but ran.
    But at MK, Space and POTC were closed, and HM, TTA, Peter Pan, Winnie, Snow White, Small World all had issues, as well as a few others, on top of Tiki Room is closed for refurb.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW i have never experienced that. i have been there when rides were closed for refurb but was only on a line once at space mountain when it broke down and i decided that i didn't need to ride it that day anyway. lol.

Nichole
    2000 - asmu (1st trip) AUG
    2001 - Off site OCT
    2002 - 2008 POP JAN YEARLY
    2009 - Saratoga Springs SEPT
    2010 - POP NOV 28 - DEC 3
    2011 - POP - OCT 10days
    2013 - POP Feb 23rd - Mar 2nd (originally booked AOA but my family doesn't like change I guess lol)

Post Thanks / Like

I really hope that it was just a freak thing, and that they are not "letting things go." That would seriously break my heart.
    Cara

1982, 1988, 1989 off site
    1992 CBR & POFQ
    1993 POFQ
    1995 WL
    1996 WL
    1998 Poly
    1999 BWI
    Many day trips while at UF GO GATORS!!!!
    2004 Off site
    2005 Poly
    2006 POFQ
    2007 WL
    Aug 2011 BC

Post Thanks / Like

tiki room is still closed??

these trips to disney cost a lot of money and reading about all the issues lately including so many things apparently not working on splash mountain makes me second guess how long we will want to continue returning.
    "there`s a great big beautiful tomorrow"

Post Thanks / Like

The way you put it is interesting. I'm kind of on your boat with the being there for a week thing so it's not something that's ever effected me that much, but the only being there for one day and paying $85 for it really got me thinking. As you'll see in my signature, until this coming Sepetember my most recent experiences are at Disneyland, so I'll comment on those. On my last day there during the October trip, Space Mountain kept breaking down. I was next in line to ride and then the lights came on and it was announced closed. I chose to exit and was given a fast pass good for any ride at the 2 parks, excluding Toy Story Midway Mania. I chose to use it at Space Mountain later, as I wanted to get on it one last time, and Space Mountain is pretty much the big ride here (meaning fast passes gone fast), as opposed to the Magic Kingdom in Florida where Space Mountain and Splash Mountain kind of share that honor. So, I go back later, it's reopened, I was probably about 6-7 trains away from boarding and ... lights on, ride temporarily down. I just waited, once again, just wanted to get on it one last time.
    Specific stories aside, Disneylands Space Mountain and Indiana Jones Adventure (which Dinosaur is a clone of) have notorious reputations with me for being rides that breakdown a lot. Indiana Jones I can understand as that's what I call a "mechanically complex" ride, but Space Mountain I just can't understand. It's a lift hill powered steel roller coaster (in this case 3 lift hills), you know the kind of ride every Six Flags has at least half dozen of, so I just don't know what the problem is. This is in contrast to Test Track, Tower of Terror (mainly Florida's), Expedition Everest, and Mission Space which I consider "mechanically complicated" and even though I don't have any stories to tell about these rides breaking down while I'm there (but I've heard horror stories from others about them mainly Test Track)

On a side note, there is a roller coaster at my local amusement park, Kings Dominion, called Volcano which has about the worst reputation with the local communitty. For it's first season it broke down a couple times each day. Someone even wrote some grafitti saying "I hate this break down ride" in the queue.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

WOW we have never seen this much in ride break downs when we are there. As far has shut downs....it was caused by "mother nature" but thats it!

Kim

1984 MAY- OFF PROPERTY Senior Class Trip!!
    1985-86 May- OFF PROPERTY
    2005 MARCH- OFF PROPERTY
    2007 FEBRUARY - POP
    2008 AUG.- POP
    2009 MARCH - POR
    2009 AUG.-POLY
    2010 AUG. - POP
    2011 AUG. - POP
    2012 APRIL - All STAR MOVIES
    2013 DEC.-POP
    2014 AUG.-AOA
    2015 APRIL- CSR

Post Thanks / Like

We've been the last people to get soaked on Test Track before it was closed due to weather.

As far as breakdowns go we've been caught on TSMM and seen the lights go on is Space Mountain (whilst passing through it on the TTA). My sister and her daughter have been evacuated from ToT's 5th dimension room.

It could be worse... On 4th July 2011, 9 people had to wait for 8 hours, 60ft above the ground, to be rescued from an "overhead track" rollercoaster in the Strathclyde Park, UK. The last people were rescued around 12:30am.
    Soarin' to Tower

Next Trips: 2017 The other half has allowed me back!
    Offsite 1998, 2004, 2015 (Universal)
    AKL 2001, 2003, 2005, 2008, 2009, 2013
    Beach Club 2008
    Yacht Club 2010, 2011, 2012
    DLR California 2004, 2014
    DLR Paris 2006, 2008, 2010
    DLR HK 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I find it very hard to believe that all the problems are coincidental. In the past few yours we've have deadly monorail "accidents", bus crashes, sudden ride closures, and the seemingly increase in daily ride problems.

I wouldn't go so far to call it negligence, but I don't think it's necessarily coincidence.

I'll let you all decide for yourselves...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by texas211 View Post
    we went in june. We had huge issues with the rides, though mostly at mk.
    Ak, everest was closed most of the day.
    Mgm, toy story mania was broke down for a short time, then stopped several times while we were on it..
    Epcot, the maelstrom had some issues, but ran.
    But at mk, space and potc were closed, and hm, tta, peter pan, winnie, snow white, small world all had issues, as well as a few others, on top of tiki room is closed for refurb.
    i have to say when you experience these many refurbs and breakdowns disney should at the very least give you a free night at your hotel, dinner voucher for fire works or night show, something to make your spending $85 at any park just have most of the popular attractions breakdown just when your about to board.
    2001- offsite WINDSOR OAKS
    2003- DISNEY LAND RADISON
    2004- CARRIBBEAN BEACH RESORT
    2005- POP CENTURY RESORT
    2006- offsite ALL STAR VACATION HOMES
    2010- offsite HOTEL BLVD HOLIDAY INN

Post Thanks / Like

I have to wonder too. On our last trip, we went on Splash Mountain a total of six times over three different days, and I think only one of these rides went the entire way without experiencing a stoppage. We waited 15 minutes one time, and we thought we'd have to evacuate at one point!
    Haunted Mansion stopped both times we rode.

I hope these aren't bad signs.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Problems

Quote Originally Posted by jazzy View Post
    i have to say when you experience these many refurbs and breakdowns disney should at the very least give you a free night at your hotel, dinner voucher for fire works or night show, something to make your spending $85 at any park just have most of the popular attractions breakdown just when your about to board.
    Well, i already had them upgrade me at my resort, b/c of an issue with tour groups at all star music. Stayed at Riverside, where I should have booked us originally. But I felt we should've gotten something after our day at the MK, but i figured there wasn't much to do.

Yeah, I was mad when Everest broke down, really only b/c my trip started off w/ the MK "experience."

Did the Keel Boats sink too some years back?

Post Thanks / Like

My friend was there the first weekend in June...space mountain was NOT broken, but rather cast members were using for the night, but CM were telling people broken...she got lots of fast passes, as they came to ride and entered the park after 6 pm, and complained loudly. fP were good for three days. They only rode three rides and wasted a days park pass.
    Pirate Granny

October 2020 — 3 nights OKW, 3 nights Poly Lakeview and 1 night BWV studios
    November 2020 — BRV studio 9 nights
    December 2020 entire family GV OKW
    December 2020 January 2021 BCV studio

OH YEAH BABY !!! Proud owners at OKW + BCV + BRV + RR

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

You have to realize that these rides are on almost 24 hours a day. Once guests leave we may shut the rides down, but maintenance comes in within 30 minutes of park clear and turns them on to check for issues. Add that to EMH and...well, the rides don't get a break. (pun intended.)

Also, these rides are old...Peter Pan for example. Sure, the boats may look shiny and new, but the ride itself and the equipment is the same as the last refurb.

Yes, it's a pain to pay $$$ and get denied access to the ride "YOU HAD to ride," but 1) check before you come to see if there are any refurbs during your visit 2) have a backup plan of another ride to choose 3) have patience.
    Some of these rides can be powered off and on within minutes (i.e. carrousel) and some may take a couple of hours (i.e. Philharmagic)

I can speak from experience thanks to my year working in Fland last year. Guests were FURIOUS that they had to wait because of a problem, but would you rather be stuck in a broken ride for two hours while they fix the problem or enjoy your time in the park elsewhere? We do the best we can, but when you go to Cast Member 1 who is working the entrance and complain to him/her, how is he/she supposed to KNOW the problem when their only job is to "say the ride is closed and come back later/end of day/tba/give fastpass"? You can't fight the messenger.

Also, sometimes these rides aren't broken down...sometimes they stop due to wheelchair guests entering/exiting, intrusions within the ride, guest situations, or in the case of Tiki...fire!

You paid $85...not to ride THAT ONE RIDE...but to enjoy the experience!

Post Thanks / Like

I can't speak for WDW, I got to DL much more often, but when I was there in June (maybe it was May) there were a ton of rides down. We went straight to Space Mountain when we got there - it was down. Walked to Matterhorn, also down, Big Thunder - down too. So was Pirates and Indiana Jones, and those were the rides that we tried to get to one after the other when we found out the ride we were going to was closed. We spent the first hour in the park walked up to attractions that were down. It was very disappointing and upsetting.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

You know, these things happen. On our trip about a month ago we had Sorin and Jungle Cruise "break down". Sorin did just before we got on. Oh well. On the bright side we got to walk through with the lights on (for a disney freak like myself was AWSOME). Jungle Cruise had a boat break down which required the removal of all of the other boats to tow that dead boat back. Once clear the reopened. We had fun as some of the CM's lead singalongs and games as those of us who started to realize what happened stayed in line. The only other issues were caused by weather (Disney can't control that unless they close the roof like at Miller Park.) Long story short poop occurs.
    1989 - Poly
    1990 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2000 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter

C - completely
    U - useless
    B - by
    S - September

Post Thanks / Like

Thankfully, I have not encountered those type of events. I have had horrible experiences with Test Track, however. The first time I rode it, we went threw it perfectly. Since then, I have NEVER made it threw without some kind of stoppage. One time, cast members came to our car and ushered us "backstage" to an exit. I have given up riding that ride. Haven't tried in the last three trips.

Also, it has become SO RARE that we make it through HM without "playful spooks" stopping our omnimover that if we get a "clean ride," we comment on it.

On a funny note: once we were broken down on Dinosaur and it was my mom's first trip to WDW. We were there for such a long time and the audioanimatronics continue moving during stoppages, which frightened my mom. Finally, she asked, "Should I call 911!" It was the joke of the trip.
    WDW - 99 Off Site
    WDW - 00 C.Springs, Wilderness
    WDW - 01 POFQ, Boardwalk
    WDW - 02 C.Beach, POFQ, AK Lodge
    WDW - 04 Riverside
    WDW - 05 C.Springs
    WDW - 07 Riverside
    WDW - 11 C.Beach
    WDW - 12 POFQ
    WDW - 14 Riverside
    WDW - 15 POFQ
    WDW - 19 Wilderness
    WDW - 20 C.Beach

Post Thanks / Like

Default MK is the problem.

I understand stuff happens. MGM, EPCOT, or AK, if some rides break, i can understand it. Though when flagship rides break, i think that says something. But the problems I encountered at MK, unacceptable and likely a bad sign. I agree, i pay for the atmosphere, but when most of the rides are experiencing problems, well, that hurts the atmosphere. Next time we come back, we definitely won't get the 7 day pass, to spend 3 days at MK. Though, good thing we did, b/c at some point in those 3 days, we were able to ride all the rides.

Wish there was something they'd do for you when these things happen, but where do you have to go at a corporate giant like Disney.

On a positive note. I love how well the plumbing works at the resorts. Can **** down a bag of golf balls.

Post Thanks / Like

You paid $85...not to ride THAT ONE RIDE...but to enjoy the experience! [/QUOTE]

I understand that and there are many more attractions to ride but on our last trip we experienced breakdowns (NOT REFURBS) of Space Mountain, 3 times one day 2 times on another; never rode, Splash Mountain total evacuation, then to reopen only to close again, HM closure, in one day. Ok, that is 3 major rides that we could not ride...THANK goodness we didn't pay $85 I would have been livid.
    Countless Disneyland trips
    May 2000 Honeymoon 1st DW Trip
    April 2001 AS Music
    May 2003 Off-site
    December 2003 AS Movies
    July 2004 Disneyland
    December 2005 AS Movies
    September 2007 Pop
    March 2009 Pop
    Christmas 2010 Movies
    June 2011 off-site
    Christmas 2012 Caribbean Beach

Post Thanks / Like

i've never had a problem but a couple years ago my buddy went to DL and was really upset how many things were broken down.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: