Quantcast Help with New York & Eastern Canada trip!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Help with New York & Eastern Canada trip!

We're planning a road trip, from Louisville, KY to New York ( Manhattan) & Eastern Canada. Any & all advice would be so appreciated! We're super excited! We've only had destination vacations & we're really looking forward to these new experiences & being someplace different almost everyday! I'm already reading tour books & scouring the web! Anyone have any tips or must see's/do's for our list?
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Shari, Can you tell us where your stops are?

For NYC you can take a look at the other threads on this page.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I've been reading everything on here! First I think we'll be stopping in Hershey, PA, only visiting Chocolate World, I don't think the park makes the list this trip, then onto Hoboken, NJ for a stop at Carlo's Barkery! We're huge fans of Cake Wars! lol Then onto Liberty Park in NJ where we'll catch the fairly to Liberty Island, I think I have the names all right. Of course, not doing all this driving straight through, it works out very nicely, to have something to see each day, not driving more than about 9 hours, some days far less when the attractions will be more time consuming. From there onto Manhattan for a couple of days. Hoping to stay Midtown, have read a couple of tour books, actually found a really nice walking tour hitting most of the obvious landmarks & higlights. Planning to make a photo stop in Scranton! Then onto Niagra Falls. I'm a little ? still about what all we'll do there, it looks just fascinating, trying to read about the various options, guessing we'll stay over night so we can enjoy all we want there & then planning to drive on into Canada.

This is where my plan ends! I know we won't drive too far North into Canada & not knowing anything, I'm not really seeing anything that's grabbing my interest with the exception of Nova Scotia! I really want at least one beach day, wondering if we'll really stay in Canada or make our way back South along the coast with possibly a couple of days in Ocean City, NJ/MD ?
    Any & all advice would be very much appreciated! We really want to experience all we can!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    I've been reading everything on here! First I think we'll be stopping in Hershey, PA, only visiting Chocolate World, I don't think the park makes the list this trip, then onto Hoboken, NJ for a stop at Carlo's Barkery! We're huge fans of Cake Wars! lol Then onto Liberty Park in NJ where we'll catch the fairly to Liberty Island, I think I have the names all right. Of course, not doing all this driving straight through, it works out very nicely, to have something to see each day, not driving more than about 9 hours, some days far less when the attractions will be more time consuming. From there onto Manhattan for a couple of days. Hoping to stay Midtown, have read a couple of tour books, actually found a really nice walking tour hitting most of the obvious landmarks & higlights. Planning to make a photo stop in Scranton! Then onto Niagra Falls. I'm a little ? still about what all we'll do there, it looks just fascinating, trying to read about the various options, guessing we'll stay over night so we can enjoy all we want there & then planning to drive on into Canada.

This is where my plan ends! I know we won't drive too far North into Canada & not knowing anything, I'm not really seeing anything that's grabbing my interest with the exception of Nova Scotia! I really want at least one beach day, wondering if we'll really stay in Canada or make our way back South along the coast with possibly a couple of days in Ocean City, NJ/MD ?
    Any & all advice would be very much appreciated! We really want to experience all we can!
    Wow, my head is spinning. . First off, Hershey seems off course from your starting point to your second stop. There is nothing wrong with that, but if you are going out of your way you should do the whole theme park. I have been to Chocolate World and took the tour. The tour and looking around the candy stores will only take about one hour and that doesn't seem worth it to me. The park is very nice and has alot of fun rides.

Hoboken....I know nothing about. I know of the show that you are talking about, but have you checked out what happens if they are filming that day? I'm not sure how that works. I don't think that there is anything around there to do, but I can be wrong.

Visiting Liberty Island is a great idea and something everyone should do if possible. NYC has many things to do.

I'm not trying to be smart, but why are you going to Scranton? . I have driven through there many many times and as far as I know there is nothing special there to see.

Niagra Falls is a great place to spend a couple of days. There are so many thing to do there from the Maid of the Mist, Behind the Falls Tour, Clifton Heights, Table Rock, etc. The falls are amazing!

If you don't want to do Hershey Park I would scrap Chocolate World and Scranton and maybe add Boston or Salem MA. Both places have tons to do. Even a day in Philly to see the Liberty Bell & Independence Hall is a great idea.

After seeing the falls you can take the short drive to Toronto. There is the Wonderland Theme Park and many museums there.

This is just my opinion from being to these places.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

NJGIRL, thanks so much for the ideas! Actually looking at the atlas, leaving from Louisville, driving North, it's a farily direct to Harrisburg/Hershey area, about 9 1/2 hours, so just a stopping point for the day really. Then just a few short hours over to the NJ area, actaully DH's idea, & we're just really wanting to see a little bit of a lot of things. We threw in the Scranton, just for laughs as we're huge fans of the show "The Office" & my DS's were happy just to stop & take a pic with Scranton sign, which is in direct route (or so our driving directions showed) from Manhattan to Niagra Falls. We're still in the very beginning of the planning stages.

The more I've looked in Canada, the less time I think we'll spend there, I'd like to see the Canadian Parliament & a few things in that area & that's probably it. With that in mind, probably going to change up the route, possibly starting with Naigra Falls & Canada, and maybe adding in some stops such as Philly as you suggested in making our way back towards home.

I will look into the attractions that you mentioned at Niagra Falls, super excited about that! Do you have any recommendations for anything on the coast line? I really appreciate your help!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Niagara Falls is nowhere near Ottawa, where the Canadian Parliament Buildings are. Just letting you know.

It's about an hour and a half from Niagara Falls to Toronto (The centre of the Universe, and my hometown ), and then about another 4 to 5 hours to Ottawa (Canada's Capital City).

There are plenty of things to do and see in both Toronto and Ottawa, museums and amusement parks (as Rita said), as well as sports attractions (Baseball anyone?), international cuisine, the CN Tower .... Lots to do and see!
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

You seem to be touching the corners of NY State. Some thoughts to beef up the "inbetween". Corning Glass--very nice stop. Look into their website to get into a class of some sort--my kids did the make your own glass ornaments--they loved it. Rochester NY--awesome kids museum, Strong Museum is also there. Incredible Farmers Market on the weekends--not sure if it's only Sat. Finger Lakes is wine country which also produces Concord grape pie--yum! Rochester you can also take the ferry from/to Toronto. Saratoga Springs (north of Albany)--great parks, great natural springs etc. lots of history. NYC--chinatown is awesome, Mood Fabrics from Project Runway fun to visit, Southstreet Seaport. Food go to Menu Pages.com for great finds, costs and ratings of restaurants--do not do chain restaurants in NYC! You'll miss out on lots of experiences--like try Dim Sum in Chinatown--if you have seen Top Chef, I think last season, the cooks did a Dim Sum challenge.
    Lynne

"Our greatest natural resource is the minds of our children"--Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    then onto Hoboken, NJ for a stop at Carlo's Barkery! :
    Cake Boss is a very sore subject in my town right now!

Did you know that Buddy charges $30,00 to deliver a cake himself?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Post passports?

Do you have passports. You'll need them to cross into Canada. Sounds like a great vaca, hope you have a great and safe one.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, correct me if I'm wrong... but I was under the impression that unless you live in Hoboken, you can't park there.

OP, if you're planning on stopping in the Finger Lakes area (between NYC and Niagara Falls), you might consider going to Cooperstown, Corning Glass and Howe Caverns.

Sounds like a great trip but a LOT of driving! Have fun planning!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: