Quantcast Help with New York & Eastern Canada trip! - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    Rita, correct me if I'm wrong... but I was under the impression that unless you live in Hoboken, you can't park there.

OP, if you're planning on stopping in the Finger Lakes area (between NYC and Niagara Falls), you might consider going to Cooperstown, Corning Glass and Howe Caverns.

Ellen, I don't know anything about Hoboken so I really don't know. You are probably right. I do know that his cakes are way overpriced now that he is famous and I have heard that they really aren't that good.

The Finger Lakes area is very pretty. Watkins Glenn has a gorge with a waterfall that is a fun day trip plus all of the things that Ellen mentioned.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

After watching all of the 9/11 Tributes/Coverage today, I am so looking forward to visiting NY & the WTC site! I think the memorial site just looks amazing & I'm sure that it will be an experience that will stay with us forever. I'm just overwhelmed with my feelings of the whole thing and I'm so glad that we're planning this trip and will get to experience the WTC memorial site for ourselves next year! I had already changed my plans & cut down our Niagara Falls stay by a day to allow more time in NY for that opportunity & a few other unique experiences that weren't fitting into my original itinerary. I think this will be a very moving & special family trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Shari, what is your final itinerary?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, I'm still in the planning stages but my revised plan is as follows: Drive from Lou. KY to Nigara Falls, Ny side & hope to arrive in time for the Friday night fireworks! We're planning to spend all day Saturday touring Niagara Falls, I've made tons of notes of what we want to experience there. That afternoon we're going to walk across Rainbow Bridge into Canada & see the sites from that vantage point.

On Sunday we'll drive into Manhattan (with that pitstop for my DS's in Scranton, found info on "The Office" sign & "shop" in the Mall at Steamtown! lol ) & plan to experience Times Square Sunday evening. I have a great walking tour for Manhattan for Monday to see all of the landmark buildings in the Midtown area & on Tuesday we'll visit Ellis Island, Liberty Island, WTC site & Central Park.

Wednesday we'll head to Philly, I'm not sure of the details for that stop yet, more homework to do! From there we're driving to Virginia Beach for a couple of days of fun in the sun & visiting the old & new Cape Henry Lighthouses & drive home on Saturday or Sunday.

If you have any more advice, I'm all ears! My family is already tired of hearing about next years trip, but I'm just getting warmed up! I love the planning stage! So much to look forward too! I'm so grateful to you & everyone that has shared advice, & experiences & helped me with planning this crazy busy trip!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

It sounds like a great plan! I wish I was going with you.

If I already didn't mention it, while in Philly stay in "Old City" (the Omni is nice) if you plan on seeing the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall. That way you will not have to use transporation. Betsy Ross's House and Ben Franklin's grave are right there too. Another fun stop in Philly is Eastern State Pen!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Rita! I appreciate all of your time & help!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

If you're looking for more touristy stuff to do in Philly, then your top pics besides the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall would be the Philadelphia Museum of Art (PMA) area and Penn's Landing.

The Art Museum area also has a few museums other than the PMA. The Rodin Museum is for adults and older kids and the Academy of Natural Sciences is mostly for kids, although adults enjoy it too. Then there's the Franklin Institute, which is more scientific, but interesting. Also close to the museum are are the Waterworks, Boathouse Row and Fairmount Park. For little kids, the Please Touch museum, located in Fairmount Park but you need to drive to get there, is housed in a building once used for the Centennial Expostion of 1876. The Waterworks is behind the museum of art, along the river, and walking along the river on a nice day is so nice.

The Penn's Landing area is also nice. There are several ships to tour and one, the Moshulu, is still a restaurant. You can also take a shuttle to Camden, where there is the Adventure Aquarium and the Battleship New Jersey.

Then there's also the Philadelphia Mint and Elfreth's Alley, both also in Old City.

There's realy so much in Philly that you need a good week to see most of the major stuff.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

Please look into doing the Lights of Liberty Tour. It's a night tour and you won't be sorry, it's great!

As Amanda mentioned the Philadelphia Art Museum is great, but with kids in tow I highly recommend the Franklin Institute (which she also mentioned). It was in the movie National Treasure. They have a "beating heart" which the kids can walk through and they love it. There is also an IMAX there, and alot of other cool hands on stuff to do like a rock climbing wall, a surf board challange and much more.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow! ok, now you guys are making wish that we had more time in Philly! I may need to rethink the end of our trip, as we had been planning only about a half a day here to see a few sights, namely my DH & DS's wanted to see the Rocky statue! lol Of course DM here is planning for us to see more of the historical sights! I'm taking notes from all that you guys are sharing with me, I've just not had time to delve further into all that Philly has to offer so that I can firm up my plan.

IF we only have a half day there, what would you all recommend as our must do's? It's really tough, it sounds like we could easily stretch this trip into two weeks to take in the best of the best of what each of the area's that we're planning to visit has to offer. Alas, we cannot, I'm stretching it as it is to 10 days & want to do all that we can, but still want it to be more relaxing than commando style vacation! It's going to be tough!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    IF we only have a half day there, what would you all recommend as our must do's? It's really tough, it sounds like we could easily stretch this trip into two weeks to take in the best of the best of what each of the area's that we're planning to visit has to offer. Alas, we cannot, I'm stretching it as it is to 10 days & want to do all that we can, but still want it to be more relaxing than commando style vacation! It's going to be tough!
    If you only have a half day in Philly I wouldn't bother. By the time you get into the city and park there isn't a whole lot of time to do anything. The art museum (Rocky) and the Liberty Bell/Independence Hall aren't together so you will have to drive, park then drive and park again. I think you will be very rushed. You may not be spending enough time at Niagara Falls either so maybe you can skip Philly this time around and put that time towards extra at Niagara.

We are not beach people so if it was our trip we would be skipping VA beach altogether and doing more in Canada and Philly because we find them more interesting.

It's hard because you are covering a very large area with alot of things you could be doing. What about splitting up the trip into two trips.

Niagara Falls, Boston or Salem & NYC could be one trip. The next could be Philly, Washington DC & VA. Just a thought!

So many places to go but so little time to go! This is the exact reason we don't do Disney every year. There are too many places we want to see!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

If you only had 1/2 day, then you should make two stops. Parking isn't too difficult at either location, as there are several parking lots/garages nearby. The first is to see the Liberty Bell and walk around the Independence Hall area. Then hop back into your car and go to the second area on the other side of Center City (downtown for the Philly uninitiated), which is the art museum area, so the boys can run up the rocky steps. You can then walk around to the back of the museum and there are a couple of gazebos, the Waterworks, and the Schuylkill river (and boathouse row) to walk along. I'd highly recommend that you stick around the city for dinner, or else you'll be stuck in rush hour traffic. Basically, get out by 4 or stick around until 7.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: