Quantcast Air Conditioning in the Resorts

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Air Conditioning in the Resorts

This may seem like a stupid/silly question to ask but do the resorts still have the motion sensors hooked up to the air conditioners in the rooms? The last time we stayed at Pop Century and it got kind of stuffy during the night. The AC would kick off after everyone went to sleep because there was no movement in the room. We eventually got around it by taking the advice of some of the other guests at the resort by purchasing a balloon which floated around the room which kept the motion sensor from turning everything off. We are staying at POFQ this upcoming trip and was just wondering if we should invest in another balloon
    DL 2000 (off site)
    DW 2001 (CSR)
    DW 2008 (POP)
    DW 2009 (CSR)
    Sept 2011 POFQ
    Hoping to get back sooner vs. later. :)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

This was the main reason we prefer the All Stars over Pop, the preset air conditioning I think it is the newer green resorts that do this, so I would say POFQ would be okay.

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Wow a balloon, Thanks for the great idea!!

I have been trying to think of a way to beat that.....thanks.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mickey_M_lvr View Post
    This may seem like a stupid/silly question to ask but do the resorts still have the motion sensors hooked up to the air conditioners in the rooms? The last time we stayed at Pop Century and it got kind of stuffy during the night. The AC would kick off after everyone went to sleep because there was no movement in the room. We eventually got around it by taking the advice of some of the other guests at the resort by purchasing a balloon which floated around the room which kept the motion sensor from turning everything off. We are staying at POFQ this upcoming trip and was just wondering if we should invest in another balloon
    Wow, I never knew some resorts had the AC hooked to motion detectors. So do you come home to a hot room every night because nobody is in the room all day, how does that work? We stayed at POFQ 5 years ago and the AC ran constantly, no motion sensors, but that may have changed since then, they did just do a renovation at POFQ.

We just returned from a stay at VWL, when we first arrived the AC was set at 62. We had to bump it up the first night, we were all freezing.

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

Post Thanks / Like

I stayed at the ASmusic and Riverside this summer. Music, I never could get that cool. Riverside, very nice. Got it a bit chilly in there, the way i like it. Neither had the motion thing. I hate the green technology stuff. Some hotels, not at disney, have the green toilets. I'm just going to say i'm more man than any of those things can handle. Love the disney bathrooms, hope they don't go any greener than shower heads.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow I have never even heard of this. Every resort we've stayed at I believe the air stayed on all night? Seems like in the florida summers' they would at least include a continuos option?
    Next trip - Sep29-Oct4! Free QS dining at POP. First trip with both kids. (6th total visit)
    "In dreams you will lose your heartache"

Post Thanks / Like

Last year, our a/c was broken when we first got to our villa at Saratoga Springs, and we made them fix it immediately. After that, it was nice and cold I can't even imagine having an a/c go off because of "green reasons." Ok, maybe I can...it would go something like this, "Get your manager on the phone immediately, because we want a full refund and we will never EVER be back!"

Hehe, anyone ever stay at the Omni at Champions Gate? It's quite lovely...and looking better all the time
    Two things You told me: That You are strong, and You love me.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't really know how it works, all I know is that the systems are SOOOO annoying! I like white noise at night, fan/ac or something to make noise. Plus, I like it COLD when I sleep! So, the AC would kick in and dump out some cool-ish air, then clunk off-no noise in the room at all, then clunk back on just as you are difting off to sleep...and so on, all night long. Drove us crazy! We brought a little fan in our suitcase that we bought right before we left, only to find out that we bought a "whisper quiet" fan. Oops, wrong one! We wanted loud and annoying!
    Karen

"It's snowing still," said Eeyore gloomily.
    "So it is."
    "And freezing."
    "Is it?"
    "Yes," said Eeyore. "However," he said, brightening up a little, "we haven't had an earthquake lately."

Post Thanks / Like

Default a/c at pop

I need white noise too, and bring this tiny metal fan thats about 5 inches big and doesn't take up much room in luggage - its just enough noise to let me go to sleep. The AC at pop is too quiet, the first year we stayed there i had to keep getting up and putting the bathroom fan on and try to fall asleep before it timed out.
    Love the balloon idea, that's awesome I like it cold cold cold.

Post Thanks / Like

We were just a Pop for a week a month ago and I can say for sure that our A/C did run while we where gone & while we slept! It would be comfortable when we went to bed at night, and every morning I woke up cold & had to cut it back! Also the room was quite comfortable when we returned anytime after being out!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure how it used to be, but the OKW rooms have A/C that one sets to a temperature and it stays. We really enjoyed coming back to the room for refreshment and a nap!
    1975 & 1977 - Summer - Disneyland
    1991 April - WDW
    1993 April - WDW
    2006 June - Saratoga Springs
    2007 July – Saratoga Springs
    2010 February - Caribbean Beach Resort
    2010 October – AKL Jambo
    2011 July - Old Key West
    2013 October - OKW
    2015 September - AKL Jambo
    2016 September - AKL Jambo

Post Thanks / Like

Recently returned from POFQ and the ac runs all the time. You can still set it yourself. For me it was way to cold at 64, so i left mousekeeping know so they would leave it at 69 when they cleaned the room. THey did, they were very good at keeping things in shape. Enjoy!
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Staying in the GF we had only one problem with the A/C. The room had a sliding door and every time I locked the door the A/C would shut off.

The door had a switch that turned off the air when open. The door lock when engaged was locked but held the door ever so open and to not push the switch button fully in.

The building maintenance at first thought I was crazy until I proved to him it really was the cause.

Told him no charge for the diagnostic time it was on me...
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

The ACs at POR are window units. I'm not sure if POFQ has the same type units. If they do, you can have the fan run continuously. At Pop they have the central units and from my experience, are not as "white-noise" soothing as the window units (if you like that kind of thing--and I do).
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

I had the a/c cranking in my room at Wilderness Lodge. Never had a problem keeping the a/c going while I slept
    Next WDW Trip: July 13 - 22, 2016 Wilderness Lodge

"There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow shining at the end of every day!"

"Let's Don't be Silly..." - The Mad Hatter

Post Thanks / Like

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by Fastpasssteve View Post
    I'm not sure how it used to be, but the OKW rooms have A/C that one sets to a temperature and it stays. We really enjoyed coming back to the room for refreshment and a nap!
    We were at OKW last week, and the A/C stayed at the same temp 24/7. There was also a switch on the thermostat to keep the A/C fan running even when the compressor was not running.

Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: