Quantcast Gary Carter batting tips at Epcot?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Gary Carter batting tips at Epcot?

When I was a kid we went to Epcot and there was an area where you could swing a bat and they would record your swing. Gary Carter would come on and give you some tips.

My question is, was there really any technology behind this? Was there some motion detection that could really tell what your swing flaws were? Or was it just a random clip of Gary that had nothing to do with your swing?

Thanks in advance.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I remember that as well. It was in the building with the Body Wars ride. It also had a golf swing analyzer. My guess is someone that knew a little about what to look for in a swing was nearby choosing the tutorial video.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Sorta Correct

I remember it well, but you're a little off. My grandparents used to take me and my little brother to WDW every so often. We loved this hitting exhibit. The instructor was actually 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson. I can remember it like it was yesterday. We would get all nervous with so many people watching and we knew The Hawk was about to come on and either make our day or ruin it. I can still remember those big brown eyes and menacing stare as we would take our cuts. Good times.

Oh and to your original question, I think the whole thing was real and not random. I think The Hawk was live via satellite. Not positive, but I'm pretty sure that was the case. I remember one time he burped and everyone started giggling.

Thanks for bringing back some great memories!

Post Thanks / Like

They did have a couple of different "coaches". Gary Carter was indeed one of them. However, there was no real instruction. A CM could choose a pre-programmed response but there were only about 3-4 options. It was still a lot of fun for the kids though.
    30+ trips; DCV owner at Beach Club Villas; 4 Disney cruises; 2 trips to Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Default Nope

Sorry, but it was definitely 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson. I started doubting myself with two people stating it was Gary Carter, so I went to a Chat Room. I asked the question, 'Isn't it 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson who gave the great batting tips at The Wonders of Life Pavilion during the late 80's?' There was a poster by the name of 'Dancer' and she said 'It's True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I am 110% sure it was 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson!!' I then started wondering why two people thought it was Gary Carter and then I realized it was because they both played for the Expos at one point in their career. Easy mistake! I could see how you could get those two confused.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LSUJoe View Post
    Sorry, but it was definitely 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson. I started doubting myself with two people stating it was Gary Carter, so I went to a Chat Room. I asked the question, 'Isn't it 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson who gave the great batting tips at The Wonders of Life Pavilion during the late 80's?' There was a poster by the name of 'Dancer' and she said 'It's True!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!, I am 110% sure it was 'The Hawk', Andre Dawson!!' I then started wondering why two people thought it was Gary Carter and then I realized it was because they both played for the Expos at one point in their career. Easy mistake! I could see how you could get those two confused.
    LSU Joe, while I appreciate your attention to detail, I think this is a classic case of DRM (Disney Revisionist Memory). You said yourself that you were just a youngster when your grandparents took you and your little brother to DW. Sometimes our childhood Disney memories can get a little distorted over time.

What probably happened was you were watching a Cubs game in the hotel room (WGN is a national network, and the Cubs are infamous for their day games), got that memory intertwined with Stitch's burp at his Tomorrowland attraction, and combined all that with the actual Gary Carter EPCOT batting exhibit.

I'll leave you with this story. A poster on a Disney message board once said that one of the little critters on Splash Mountain says "FSU" in homage to an imagineer's alma mater. Another poster insisted the little critter was saying "LSU", not "FSU". I was unable to verify the story because I have a fear of heights and do not ride Splash Mountain. However, I do recall the board was pretty divided as to who was correct.

It appears we have a similar case here.

Post Thanks / Like

I loved this exhibit - it was very popular when I was a kid. I also remember the instruction coming from Gary Carter when he was playing for the Expos, but that doesn't mean that Andre Dawson didn't do it for the exhibit at some point. I also seem to remember Chris Everett doing the instruction for the tennis players. I don't recall the golf instructor.

Basically, the way I believed it worked, is the cast member would let the player take a few swings with a bat or racket or club, and then would play a taped segment that would try to help the player. It seemed very real - like the pro was speaking to you directly. But that's what Disney does best - makes it seem like something is real when it's not as it appears!

Post Thanks / Like

A simple Google search turns up many results describing this exhibit, and listing Gary Carter, Chris Evert and Nancy Lopez as the 3 athletes giving taped advice.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to bump this old thread. But with 2021 MLB Spring Training underway, I could not help but think about Gary Carter and his batting tips at EPCOT. With today's motion sensor technology, I can only imagine the possibilities nowadays. Any chance we'll see something similar when the EPCOT renovations are complete?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AmericanDreams View Post
    Sorry to bump this old thread. But with 2021 MLB Spring Training underway, I could not help but think about Gary Carter and his batting tips at EPCOT. With today's motion sensor technology, I can only imagine the possibilities nowadays. Any chance we'll see something similar when the EPCOT renovations are complete?
    No chance...
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah as sadly Gary passed away over cancer years ago. Very dreaded and tragic disease. Things are in the changing!
    April Showers and Easter 2024!!

Post Thanks / Like

Just reflecting on the Braves' historic World Series win today. I know the odds are slim, but if Disney ever resurrected the "Batting Tips" exhibition, I could not think of a better candidate to replace our beloved Gary Carter than Atlanta first baseman Freddie Freeman. He possesses a million dollar smile, a smooth swing, and a likeable demeanor that would be perfect for kids. Just a thought!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: