Quantcast family crisis vs. giving up vacation???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default family crisis vs. giving up vacation???

long story, but will try to keep it brief.
    got a phone call from dear BIL "trying" to help out his parents (who filed up for bankruptcy and foreclosure of their house a year after my FIL retired). BIL wants to give them a place to live in by investing on a Condo for them but is saying that he needs 10% towards the downpayment. The problem is he has no money right now and he's trying to borrow the money from my husband. My husband explained to him that our money is tied up for our upcoming trip next year. Is it too selfish of us to not give up our vacation?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that's a lot to ask, and no, not selfish of you to keep your vacation plans.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not knowing the long story (and don't need to) there is a lot of questions that pop into my head.
    To answer your main question, I don't think it's selfish at all to keep your vacation as is.
    I hope you go and have a great vaca.
    Lanny
    Have been going to WDW since 1981
    Have a Great Day
    Health and Happiness to all Disney Freaks

Post Thanks / Like

Keep your vacation!! Loaning money to family is always risky, even with the best intent on paying you back. It is unfortunate that your family member got themselves into the situation they are in, but it is not your problem and I say again take your vacation and enjoy every bit of it!!

Post Thanks / Like

Uh, no, it's not selfish. That is a ridiculous idea your BIL has. Don't get involved!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else. No, you're not being selfish, take your vacation and enjoy!
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the other posters!!!

DON'T GET INVOLVED!!!

You'll be much better off, and it is totally acceptable for you to say no because it's your BIL's parents...not yours!!!
    Good Luck. Stand Firm!!!
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't get involved, you'll probably never get the money back and then it's bad blood between family. I would tell them no and suggest her go to his own bank and take a short term loan or use a credit card to get the money he needs. Just don't do it.

My SIL wanted to buy our old car years ago and we arranged a payment plan for her since she didn't have all the money upfront. She made one payment on time (the first one), none after and we had to call and ask her to pay us. She would go months without paying and then ultimately she just stopped and never paid us in full. We let it go but we will never do anything like that again.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Default My 2 cents...

I am going to take one step further....if you have that money in an account waiting to book things....start booking! You could get your plane tickets or park tickets or rental car....etc. That way if the family guilt starts to thickly lay on your DH he can say, "I cannot get refunds...it is already booked!" You guys can help in other ways...trips to the store for them, help clean etc....'we just cannot help financially.' Go, and enjoy your trip.
    Kathy
    [COLOR=DarkRed]

'72, '88, '91, '92, '93, '94, '95, '96, '97, '99, '00, '01, 3/03, 10/03, 1/05, 4/05, 1/06, 10/06, 1/07, 5/07, 12/07, 10/08, 5/09, 11/09, 1/10, 10/10, 12/10, 10/11, 07/12, 11/12, 10/13, 4/14, DCL6/14, 10/14, 1/15, 5/15, WL8/15 & 11/15! Finally Moved to FLORIDA 2/16!! :D

Post Thanks / Like

Money and families don't mix well. Stay out of it on that end. If you feel guilty offer to help in smaller ways such as helping with the move.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

you guys ROCK!!! You always make me feel better about myself
    I LOVE Intercot much, much, much better than Facebook!

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not! It is never a good idea to lend family money and in my opinion it was in poor taste for your BIL to even ask. If that is what he wants to do for his family he needs to borrow the money from the bank and not put any other family members at risk to loose money. Sounds like it is a risky move anyway. Plan your trip and do not let anyone make you feel guilty

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone here, its better not to get financially involved unless you plan on "gifting" the money instead of loaning it. Don't feel guilty, it's not your responsibility to provide for them. They are adults and will need to deal with their situation in the best way they can. I think its nice that your BIL wants to do this for them, but that's his decision to make.

A month ago my sister called and asked me if I would co-sign on a loan for my nephew to go to school. Neither she nor my BIL could get approved and without the loan, my nephew wouldn't be able to go to college (Embry Riddile - so proud!). After much agonizing, I told her I couldn't co-sign. I wanted to and wished that I could afford to help her, but we're struggling now just like everyone else. I wouldn't want to jeopardize my childrens' chances for getting loans because I co-signed on my nephew's loans. She understood and there's no bad blood between us (miraculously, BIL was able to get a loan approved).

Your family will understand and if not, that's too bad. Enjoy your vacation with no guilt!
    Jodi

Many, many trips as a kid with family
    Last trip: November 2013
    Next trip: June 2014 - Just me and my son!

Post Thanks / Like

Don't do it! I was in that situation with my brother - invested $11,000.00 for a townhouse for him and never saw the money and will never see it. Lesson learned - money and family really do not mix and there is now bad blood between us. Apparently FIL should not have retired if he had a mortgage and couldn't afford it. Enjoy your vacation!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Totally agree with all of the advice here....You need to worry about your immediate family and spend time together on vacation.....

Post Thanks / Like

YIkes, I wouldn't get involved either, and I agree with the PP that said it's in poor taste for your BIL to even ask. It seems like a bad situation, either way you go--say no, and BIL is potentially upset; say yes and possibly never see your money again, and you're upset. Or, it could all turn out great, but it's really not your responsibility to take care of two grown people when you have your own family to think of.
    I might have a different opinion if I felt, from your post, that your DH was interested in participating in BIL's plan, but it doesn't sound like that at all.
    I wish you good luck in navigating this tricky situation.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wickedgin View Post
    I might have a different opinion if I felt, from your post, that your DH was interested in participating in BIL's plan, but it doesn't sound like that at all.
    I wish you good luck in navigating this tricky situation.
    I think you hit the nail on the head. DH shut him down for whatever reason.

Go enjoy yourselves.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with everyone else -- and don't feel guilty about not doing it. His parents must have somewhere to live, and your BIL has some nerve asking you for money for "his idea" when he can't even contribute any himself.

You must be very generous to even consider it, so don't feel bad!
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't necessarily agree that it's foolish to lend family money, but it depends on the person. I would loan money in a heartbeat to my MIL, but never to my husband's brother, based on his past spending patterns.

My first thought when I read your original post was that your BIL probably wasn't wanting to invest in a condo for his parents' sake, but his own. To that end, it would make more sense for you to pay for the down payment and monthly payments yourself (if you were so inclined to do so as an investment for yourself, as well as for your in-laws). The fact that you have your funds allocated for other purposes is nobody else's business but yours and you should not feel guilty about it.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

It's not selfish, its your money use it when you need it!

It's time to remember the magic!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: