Quantcast Is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad LAME?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Is Big Thunder Mountain Railroad LAME?

Does anyone think that Big Thunder Mountain Railroad is lame?

A friend of mine thinks it is. He was talking about how it's kind of false advertising to someone who wants to ride a roller coaster. Why? Because even though it is a coaster, it lacks many of the fun elements loved by coaster enthusiasts - there is no big drop (even though there IS a big climb). And even though there are some banked turns, the ride is fairly calm -almost like a kiddie coaster in adult size.

I know what he means. I also think, that with a lot of Disney attractions, it too was designed with the theming in mind rather than the thrills associated with coasters ( and I believe Disney also tried to modify this imbalance with Expedition Everest).

But I've never really thought of this: Someone who has never been to the Magic Kingdom before sees the ride from the queue, decides that it looks like a fun roller coaster and then waits a long time in line to ride it - I bet he would come out disappointed. It's definitely not what you'd think it would be just from observation.

What do you think?
    Please stand clear of the doors. __________________________________________________ Por Favor mantenganse alejado de las puertas.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I'll admit - I'm a roller coaster chicken. However, I have ridden every coaster that Disney has - including Rock n Roller Coaster. Over the years, what I've appreciated about Disney is that those of us who are not thrilled with a thrill a second coasters have many choices at Disney. I've never thought this is "lame". If your friend thinks so, he needn't ride it. That, in fact, is one of Disney's attractions - there's something for everyone!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    Over the years, what I've appreciated about Disney is that those of us who are not thrilled with a thrill a second coasters have many choices at Disney.
    Agree - BTM is just my speed. Even the coaster lovers in my family appreciate it - it's nostalgic like Splash.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Post Thanks / Like

I love that it doesn't go for big thrills. I think it's just right. If you're a big coaster enthusiast looking for the big thrills, yes, it's lame. But I think it's wonderful.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not lame, just tame. When compared to big high speed thrill coasters.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

If I want thrill coasters, I go to Six Flags. I am glad that Disney does have "Milder" thrills. It is still fun for adults, and to those guests who aren't looking to be scared to death, it is something they can ride and enjoy. I am a coaster enthusiast, and a Six Flags season pass holder, but I thoroughly enjoy my annual trip to Disney for the theming and fun!
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

No I would not say it is lame. I think fun is a more appropriate word. It does not have the adrenaline rush, but IMHO that does not make it lame.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

A lot of "first timers" to Disney are surprised that it doesn't have the big "thrill rides" like their local amusement park does. But, what they don't realize is that there is more to each ride, not just the big thrills.

I'm with Faline, I'm a huge chicken when it comes to rides, and I love how much there is that I CAN do at Disney, compared to a "regular" theme park.
    Heather aka ibelieveindisneymagic
    INTERCOT Staff

Engaged at the castle!
    My Disney Home is POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I am definitely NOT a coaster person. I hate drops.
    I rode Splash Mtn ONCE !!
    Thunder Mtn is not too bad for me, I usually ride it at least once each trip.
    PETE FROM NYC
    DISNEY NUT SINCE THE 1950s.
    I AM POOH SIZED AND PROUD OF IT.
    FORGET ABOUT THAT OTHER FAT GUY ON TV.
    I AM THE REAL KING OF QUEENS
    TWELVE TRIPS FROM 1975 - 2007 all by plane
    Drove down 2009,2010,2012,2014.
    DVC since 9/09. We own at BLT.
    Next trip: 11/1 to 11/12. BLT

Post Thanks / Like

can we have just one coaster that doesn't scare the out of us?? LOL

Thanks to WDW we have several! I like coasters, but don't care for ones that have extremes. (Intimidator 305 and Kingda Ka come to mind) I like a little fun, some minor Gs and some speed, but nothing too big. I prefer to have my thrills on the track.

Lame is a bad word for it. I think it's more of a ride that's for everyone. Old, young, coaster chicken, and coaster king. For those looking for a near death experience, the Tower and Aerosmith's ride are waiting.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

As a coaster chicken - BIG ONE - I hate the click, click, click of the big climb and actually chickened out and left hubby to ride alone last time we visited. I'm hoping I don't do the same next summer with my DD. As for Splash Mtn and Space Mtn....Nope, Bock, Bock, Bock - ain't riding. And don't even mention RockNRoller or Everest.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Nope I don't think it is lame. I have ridden it in the past but my fear of coasters has gotten really out of control and I have not been able to ride it in some time. My girls (ages 20, 22 and 23) and my hubby love it and it is a must do every trip!

Post Thanks / Like

I love love scary roller coaster with big drops. If I were rating BTM on that scale, I suppose it would be lame. I don't think it has one moment where you feel your stomach drop and when I was younger I was a bit disappointed with both BTM and SM.

But as I have gotten older, I really appreciate it for what it is. I love to ride it. It's fast enough to be fun and the theming is terrific.

There are enough parks that focus on scare the pants off of you roller coasts to make the enthusiasts happy. I like that Disney can give me am immersive experience that is still fun.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone has their own feeling, opinions & expectations! Yes compared to other amusement parks coasters, BTM is tame, but that's what I love about WDW! We can ride all the rides as a family! I'm NOT a thrill junky, but I love the milder thrills at WDW & can enjoy them all with my DH & DS's! IMHO, EE is very much a thrill ride, but I do love it! But once per trip is really enough for me! I could ride BTM over & over, I love the twists & turns!

One reason I don't enjoy amusement parks for the most part is two fold: the long lines - absent of any type of themed que and most rides fall in two categories - kiddie or thrill rides! Neither of those two categories fit our family vacation.

There are alot of amusement parks out there for the thrill seekers & I'm just so glad for Walt's dream that we have all of the Disney parks that give the rest of us a place to enjoy, with a dollop of thrill rides thrown in for those that so choose!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joonyer View Post
    Not lame, just tame. When compared to big high speed thrill coasters.
    Exactly what I was thinking! Disney has better "themed" rides than anyone. Others may have more thrilling coasters, but I'll take themed variety over thrills anyday!
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

everybody seems to be missing the point of the original post.

i agree that BTMR is tame, or lame or whatever you wanna call it.

the point of the original post was that the guy thought it was false advertising - because it looks like a normal roller coaster ride from the front, but it's a different experience when you ride it.

if i had never ridden before and i was in front of BTMR, i would expect it to be a normal coaster- not just a quaint ride through some theming.

I bet some folks have waited a LONG time in line to take their first ever ride on BTMR and then exited disappointed.

if you are in front of the now-extinct Goofy's Barnstormer, you know that it's a kiddie ride - but in front of BTMR, it's kind of deceiving because until you ride it , you dont' realize it's basically a kiddie ride too.

no one denies that many people & children love non-thrill rides -but the fact that Disney built this ride in Frontierland and kind of pretend that it's a regular coaster is the question brought up in the original post. not whether or not there should be tamer rides.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure that it is false advertising. Of course, I might be biased since I knew what BTMR was like before I ever got on it. I tend to be an obsessive planner.

I understand the point that you can't tell it is a mild coaster, but I think most wild coasters are obvious just from looking at them.

For example if you contrast BTMR with Sheikra at Busch Gardens Tampa, Sheikra dominates the skyline and the thrills (and super scary drop) are clear to the eye. In fact, I can not think of one coaster at BG that you can not see the dips, loops or turns before you get on. And when you compare it to Splash Mountain right next door, it is obvious Splash Mountain has a great drop at the end, but not so obvious what to expect from BTMR.

So I'm not really sure that it is false advertising on Disney's part as much as the popularity of the ride that makes people assume that the ride is more exciting than it is. Disney did create a theme that emphasize wild west but even the Disney website says "mild". I think it is the line of people that makes people think,
    "wow, that ride must be something."
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Seriously???

A run-away mine train is false advertising it's self as a major thrill ride? I have been on many run-away mine trains. Six flags at Arlington and Knotts berry farms come to mind. I do not think I could confuse any of them nor the BTMRR to be a true "thrill ride." BTMRR is a classic in the true Disney sense. I have taken my 4 year old nephew on it as well as my then FIL at 76 years of age (RiP). He even had a pacemaker then and still loved it. Disney's parks are built on the premise that families can enjoy the rides together as a family. That is what Disney has excelled at. And thank goodness for that. If you want to have your lunch churned in your stomach on a ride; then there are plenty of other "amusement" parks to go to.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

IMO, I do not think it is false advertising. It is a roller coaster by all technical terms and as was stated earlier, it is even listed as being mild on their website. So it's a mild roller coaster, has the same or slightly less thrills like other mine train coasters I've been on, but unlike those others, this one is heavy on themeing and makes it a standout mine train coaster. If your friend thinks it's false advertising, also let him know that this coaster is about 40 years old too. You were lucky to find a coaster that had an upside down loop in it at that time. A lot has changed since then in the idea of what now is considered to be a true coaster when it comes to it's enthusiasts.
    28 times to WDW and still going since 1984!! Most recent visit: November/December 2011...Far too long since my last visit! :'(

Personally, I believe it didn't start with a mouse. It started with a man that had one of the greatest imaginations in this world.

Post Thanks / Like

I love coasters. I have ridden the 400 footers and I have ridden the little ones. Big Thunder Mountain Railroad never disappoints me. It has some nice action to it, a great theme, and nice views of the area.
    It is aggressive enough to satisfy hardcore coaster fans, but tame enough not to intimidate others. I always want to ride it again.
    DigitalDaredevil
    VMK: EpcotRay

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: