Quantcast DHS: The Untapped Potential

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default DHS: The Untapped Potential

Disney owns, or at least has huge investments and partnerships with several HUGE franchises that if they cashed in, could transform DHS into the greatest movie theme park ever imagined, and would put it on par with MK. Instead, they let parts of it languish in irrelevancy, such as Sounds Dangerous, Backlot Tour, and other dead parts of their former "working studio."

They could expand on Pixar Place by adding attractions from their other great Pixar movies, Monsters Inc., Up, etc.

They could make entire lands based on Star Wars (Lucasfilm), Muppets, and Marvel Comics.

So, when Fantasyland is done, is there any chance that any of these things will happen? If not, then why the heck not?!?!

Such untapped potential, don't you think?

<- Not dead yet? Is it?
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

It would be fantastic if they added even some of those things!

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know what the heck is holding up that Monsters, Inc. coaster that was supposedly greenlit for Pixar Place like a year ago.

DHS along with AK are half-day parks for us. There just isn't enough there.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

There has been some chatter between George Lucas and Disney about having a "Star Wars Land" in one of the parks. Lucas, apparently, would LOVE to do it. So, I guess we'll see. DHS would be a perfect location for it, I think.

I totally agree. That park is largely irrelevant to us. In fact, on our first family trip, we didn't even go there with our kids. Just no reason to do so.

It's sad, because when it first opened, it was a pretty exciting place to visit. They could do so much more with it!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Indeed, there are several movies and characters whose potential they could have tapped by now for the parks. Although, I'm a bit torn. I think the imagineers do their best work when they create new stories and characters of their own. In fact, look at the current trend in movies where the studio division is copying the park rides that have endured. I can't wait until the Small World movie makes the big screen. Just think, two hours of THAT song, and, the DOLLS!!!!
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree, we are actually scheduling in some shopping and people watching time for our DHS day to fill time until Fantasmic

Dec.11-18, 2021 Port Orleans Riverside
    Jan. 25-Feb. 1, 2017, Port Orleans Riverside
    Oct. 29-Nov.4, 2014-Yacht Club
    Dec. 17-23 2011-Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 20-30, 2008-Pop Century
    Dec. 25,2005-Jan.1, 2006-Coronado Springs
    Jan. 1-7, 2003-All Star Movies

Post Thanks / Like

I think there are lots of areas with huge potential throughout WDW that haven't been realized. It's sad I would love a monsters Inc coaster or a lucas land. I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.
    Next WDW Vacation: 1st Disney Cruise w. Land and Sea adventure, Summer 2014

WDW 76x ON PROPERTY since March 1984
    Most Recent Trip: Thanksgiving/Christmas 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I agree Darth, and this makes me sad. I thnk that DHS is one of the prettiest parks at WDW. My DH especially loves the classic 1930s and 1940s architecture. But there isn't a lot in this park and they really don't seem to know what to do with it! There is a page or so in the Imagineers' Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios that discusses the "shifting focus" of the park. But I kind of read through the lines that there is a lack of focus for DHS.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kairi_7378 View Post
    I agree Darth, and this makes me sad. I thnk that DHS is one of the prettiest parks at WDW. ....There is a page or so in the Imagineers' Guide to Disney's Hollywood Studios that discusses the "shifting focus" of the park. But I kind of read through the lines that there is a lack of focus for DHS.
    I agree with your first thought whole heartedly, in fact it is my favorite park from a purely visual perspective.

As for your second thought I think your likely spot on there as well...they just can't seem to, as the OP stated, get past the whole original "we are a working studio thing." They need to let it go (it feels so old and dated that we don't even walk back there anymore) and more fully embrace what Disney has added since the park's founding.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I don't know what the heck is holding up that Monsters, Inc. coaster that was supposedly greenlit for Pixar Place like a year ago.

DHS along with AK are half-day parks for us. There just isn't enough there.

I agree!!
    Kelly
    WDW TRIPS:
    1985 off site
    ; 1998 off site ;Sept 07 ASM;
    May 09 POR
    ; May 10 POR; Sept 11POR; May 12 POR
    May 13 POR

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. So much can be done with Star Wars, Pixar, Muppets, & even classic Disney animation as well as retro Hollywood. For as long as I can remember, fans have wished for a villain themed area or restaurant which I believe would be a big hit.
    Only thing I would disagree with is Marvel. While I'm a fan of Marvel, I don't think it belongs just as Power Rangers didn't belong.
    ºoº Joe ºoº
    -----------------------------------------------------
    Dolphin - May '99
    Pop - July '04
    ASMu - Sept '05
    Pop - Sept '06
    Pop - Sept '07
    Pop - Sept '08
    Pop - Sept '09
    Pop - Sept '10 HONEYMOON
    Pop - Sept '11
    Pop - Nov '12
    Pop NYE '13/'14
    NEXT TRIP - Pop - Nov 9th-16th '14

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by SHORTY View Post
    Only thing I would disagree with is Marvel. While I'm a fan of Marvel, I don't think it belongs just as Power Rangers didn't belong.
    Totally agree, and this is coming from a huge Marvel Comic geek. So much other Pixar stuff they need to do before they touch the Marvel Licenses.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by iceicebritney View Post
    I think a Lucas land would rival WWHP.
    You know, my husband has said several times that Harry Potter is to our kids what Star Wars was to our generation growing up. The fact that there are so many adult Star Wars fans, plus tons of children who have come to love the series as well, I think a Star Wars/Lucas land would be a huge success if done right.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

A Star Wars/Lucas area would be great to me as well. They'd be able to easily add in the Indy coaster plus I would love to see and updated stunt show as well. Now for Star Wars that to me seems like a pretty open area with lots of opportunity to add to with there being things from the original movies all the way up to the clone wars series. Really though the main hope here is that they just simply do something with the parks rather than just to continue to let them sit there and become stagnant.
    Disney nut since 81 and DVC member since 05

Post Thanks / Like

DHS needs an overhaul!!!

They could do a lot more with the Star Wars area.

The girls didn't even know who most of the muppets were..that needs to go!

The backlot studio tour needs something.

We did end up there twice during our time this trip. Mainly for the RNR and TOT, and we were lucky to get two rounds of Toy Story.

Still...with all of it's shortfalls, people were pouring in to this park last week.
    Julie
    Next Up:

Summer 2018... WE ARE BACK!!!
    2 families
    4 teenagers and Larry
    Taking on the parks!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that it used to be a whole day park. Although it's still probably a whole day park to someone who's never been there. I was there about a month after the park opened and it was actually a whole day park then. That's because there were only four attractions open, but there were so many people (it was early June '89 right around the Tianamen Square massacre) there that it took the whole day just to see those four attractions because you were waiting in line so long. I think that it was a 2-hour wait for the Backlot Tour.

You know, I just realized that I've never seen the Indy stunt Spectacular. It was such a long wait for it that I never got to see it. Now I just don't bother to try. I'll try this trip. You know something, we probably will be able to spend the whole day there this trip. I'm gonna try.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

You know what else I think would be great? An area (perhaps rip out the backlot tour, since it's not even a real backlot anymore) where they routinely change out props that have been used in movies.
    Yes, I know they have similar areas to this already - but I'd like it so you can stand next to a prop from a movie (like say, a snow speeder, or Walt's plane) and get your picture taken (not just as you're driving by). And let's face it, some of those props are old and outdated now - Dick Tracy props?!?! Honey I Shrunk the Kids?!?! Pearl Harbor??? I mean come on... those are kind-of terrible...
    So I'd like some kind-of neat area where they have stuff on loan from other studios that changes out from time to time - like maybe some actual Lord of the Rings props, or Grease, or Mary Poppins or even like the Ark from Indiana Jones... wouldn't that be cool?! To see stuff from classic movies (and some newer ones too) that you aren't just driving past, but you can sit and stare at for a moment at your leisure?
    And yeah, I know they have a small area with costumes already, but I'm talking about on a grandeur scale - like a museum quality exhibit - think "Smithsonian" of Hollywood props. Disney could be "known" for it - as the "go to" place to see incredible rare props from movies. Amazing!
    How easy would that be! Not terribly hard to maintain, it would be a curiosity of what neat props would be in there each time you visit... I think it would be a great and very simple idea!
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

NOOOOOO! We shouldn't have the Ark there. Didn't you SEE what happened when they opened it? LOL
    Last edited by GBBT; 08-31-2011 at 01:06 AM. Reason: punctuation
    Rob
    1. '66 Preview Center(baby),'71,'76,'86,'94-Offsite
    2. '95 AS Mus,'96 AS Sport,'97 AS Mov
    3. '99 CSR,'2000 CBR
    4. '01 AS Mov,'02 AS Mov
    5. '03-'04 Pop,CHRISTmas,New Years,Collective Soul
    6. '04 Pop,Halloween
    7. '05,'06,'07,'10 Pop,CHRISTmas
    8. '11 Pop,New Years,15th Wedding Anniversary

Post Thanks / Like

Don't take away my muppets! For real though, the new Muppets movie has the potential to open up the Muppets to a whole new generation. I would love if they expanded on Jim Henson stuff, as his work has a place at WDW, IMHO.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by princessgirls View Post
    DHS needs an overhaul!!!

:
    Disney has a new muppet movie coming out soon, so maybe a refurb or some new meet and greats.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: