Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default AVATAR coming to Disney Parks

Posted on September 20, 2011 by Thomas Smith, Social Media Director, Disney Parks

We have great news to share today. At a press conference happening right now at Walt Disney Imagineering, Bob Iger and Tom Staggs just announced a long-term creative partnership with James Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the fantasy world of AVATAR to life at Disney Parks. And it’ll all begin at Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort.

James and his producing partner Jon Landau and their team at Lightstorm Entertainment will serve as creative consultants on the project and will work side-by-side with our Walt Disney Imagineers as we dream up experiences that will take our guests deep into worlds of AVATAR like never before. There are also two sequels to the record setting first film in the works, which will offer more fascinating stories, characters and locations to explore in the AVATAR universe. Disney’s Animal Kingdom at Walt Disney World Resort is planned as the site of the first AVATAR-themed land with construction expected to begin by 2013.

We believe Disney’s Animal Kingdom is a great fit for this project because it was created to give guests the opportunity to experience the worlds of animals and nature – real and mythical – in new ways. Disney’s Animal Kingdom also celebrates adventure, living in harmony with nature and environmental stewardship – themes that are deeply rooted in the story of AVATAR.
    The design phase on the Disney’s Animal Kingdom project has just begun so stay tuned to the Disney Parks Blog for more details.

Ok, my first reaction to this was, "Huh? AVATAR????" I went on to read that this is going to be an entirely new land in AK park, which made me do a double take, to be quite frank. And again, "AVATAR?"

I'll begin by saying that I haven't even seen the movie, so maybe I'm making a snap judgment, but this is the LAST theme I'd expect to see go in as an entire land in Animal Kingdom. Maybe I'm way off base, so perhaps I should see the movie.
    On the other hand, it's about time that they expand AK! If they can do it well, it will at least make that park more interesting, IMO, and add more to do there.

Still, though, it seems like there are about 100 different (better) ideas for a new land in a park than Avatar...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar coming to AK and WDW

I happened to be over at

http://disneyparks.disney.go.com/blog/

a few minutes ago and it said that at a press meeting hapening "right now" James Cameron has signed on with Disney to create the world of Avatar at AK and WDW with 2013 as a begin date for construction.

Interesting....
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

It's a photo finish - who got this up first?
    "Believe me, it's the most exciting and challenging assignment we have ever tackled at Walt Disney Productions."
    Walt Disney speaking on the future Disney World

Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney plans "Avatar" attractions for Animal Kingdom

September 20, 2011, 1:08 pm
    Disney to Add ‘Avatar’ to Theme Park
    By BROOKS BARNES
    New York Times / Media Decoder

Robert A. Iger, chief executive of the Walt Disney Company, plans to announce on Tuesday morning that Disney has licensed the rights to the hit movie “Avatar” from 20th Century Fox for a theme park experience, according to two people briefed on the plan.

The “Avatar” experience – plans call for more than a single ride – will be built at Animal Kingdom, the newest of the four major theme parks that make up Disney World in Orlando, Fla., according to these people, who spoke on condition of anonymity because Disney did not authorize them to speak publicly.

James Cameron, the director of that science-fiction film, will collaborate with Disney on the attraction. “Avatar” sold $2.8 billion at the global box office and two sequels are in the works.

A Disney spokeswoman could not immediately be reached for comment.

---------------------------------------------------------

Disney Plans ‘Avatar’ Theme Park Attractions

By DAVID LIEBERMAN, Executive Editor
    Deadline New York
    Tuesday September 20, 2011 @ 10:22am PDT

Disney has licensed the rights from Fox, and the movie’s director, James Cameron, will help to develop the attractions, CEO Bob Iger says. The first will be at Animal Kingdom in Orlando. The goal, he says, is to enable visitors to “enter the Avatar universe and explore it first hand.” Cameron adds that “to bring that to life at Animal Kingdom is fantastic because it’s so thematically aligned….We want to do things that maybe they haven’t even thought of.”

Tom Staggs, who runs Disney’s theme parks, says the company is “just beginning the development phase” for a complex that will begin construction in 2013 and include Avatar-themed shops and food destinations to “bring that world to life.” Although he wouldn’t say how much the company has budgeted, he compared the scope to the 12-acre Cars Land site at Disney California Adventure Park.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

So it appears that Disney is out of their own ideas.

Or is it just that Cameron and FOX gave them such a great deal that they couldn't resist?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    So it appears that Disney is out of their own ideas.
    More like "out of money".

Ugh. The more I think about this, the worse it sounds. Can we think of a more UN family friendly movie? This is just so wrong...

Man, you'd think Disney had NO movies that made use of the theme of nature/animals/conservation.

Major FAIL Disney...
    Natalie

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

This doesn't make any sense to me. I guess this will be one section of AK that I never set foot in.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Diznee4Me View Post
    It's a photo finish - who got this up first?
    Uh, tie?

Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, this just seems really weird to me. I won't knock it completely until I see it, but I'm not seeing the Avatar and Disney connection, let alone an Avatar and AK connection. Weird.
    Laura
    "Any wish is possible. All it takes is a little courage to set it free!" Jiminy Cricket
    25+ trips to WDW and counting! Stayed at: Poly, WL, Kidani, SSR, BLT, BCV, CSR, VB, POR, Jambo, OKW, CR, VGF & BW!
    Next Up: Nov 2017 - SSR!
    DVC Member & AP holder since 2008!

Post Thanks / Like

People are going to go ballistic.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

I know Avatar was a big movie but I didn't like it at all.
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

Post Thanks / Like

The script for "Avatar" is almost exactly like "Pocahontas", so that's a connection. I didn't care for "Avatar". The visuals are stunning, but it was really heavy handed with it's environmental agenda.
    Disney Vacation Club Members: June 2008

Trips to WDW Since May 1996: 28
    Disney Cruises Since May 2007: 5

Trip #29: 01/2012: 5 Nights OKW

Cruise #6: 07/2012: Disney Magic Cruise to Canada

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar

Dislike!

I read it and thought it was some kind of time-delay April Fools Joke.
    Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

I was also not into this movie...and I don't like this. Movies like this come in and out of fashion so to speak. In 20 years it will just be an outdated park area.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like Harry Potter Land Part Deux... Avatar was pleasing to the eye, but I really can't imagine a whole land in a park. What's wrong with Beastly Kingdom? Oh, no sponsor... I forgot...

Post Thanks / Like

Trying to process this. Just got home from work and heard this 10 minutes ago. The more I think about it, the more I hate the idea. Just awful!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Wow ... and I thought Disney had bottomed out with Chester and Hester ....
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Wow ... and I thought Disney had bottomed out with Chester and Hester ....
    LOL nope.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm trying to stay positive. I loved the message of Avatar, and I don't think anything could make AK WORSE in my eyes, so bring it on! I'm excited to at least see some new touches to my least favorite park...
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, this is so bad it HAS to be a joke. Avatar? Really? I could only watch bits and pieces of it before I decided it wasn't worth my time. It is COMPLETELY not Disney. What a waste of time, money and effort this will be. I guess I'm done with AK completely....
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Share This Thread On Social Media: