Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 11

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

This will fit in very well at AK, you know with Din-o-Rama of course.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Avatar is an adaptation of 'Pocahontas'. Do a google search and you will see. In that light, it seems like a better fit with disney than at first glance...
    Tom

DLR '76, '81-2x, '85-2x, '01, '03, '04, '05-2x, '07-3x All off-site

DLR '02 PPH
    DLR '07, '13 GCH
    DLR '08, '12 DLH
    DLR '09, '10 GCV
    WDW '82 Royal Plaza
    WDW '98 ASMu
    WDW '06 POR
    WDW '08 POP
    WDW '08, '09, '11 BWV
    WDW '14 OKW, DCL, BLT

Post Thanks / Like

people are talking about AVATAR not fitting in to Animal Kingdom. Explain how The Wizarding World of Harry Potter fits in to Island of ADventure at US. Maybe they are trying to do something to attract bigger crowds in one location.

Post Thanks / Like

Default tough call

For any theme park, working with IP's (intellectual properties) can be a dangerous gamble. I understand that Disney has not had a new IP in some time and this may be there reaction to WWOHP. I am hoping that is not the case as this is an unfair comparison. We can not say it is the same as HP has been around for many many years and has built a fan base that started to fall in love with it and it's characters many years ago. They grew up on HP, Avatar on the other hand has no history for anyone outside of those who worked on the film.

Is this a mistake for Disney to go this route.. who knows? If anyone can do it and make it amazing, it's Disney. My only real concern (even though more films are being planned in the Avatar series) is will it lose an audience for the IP before the land is even finished. I guess we will have to wait and see.

As for does it belong in ANimal kinngdom, I suppose that depends on how they introduce and merge with with the rest of AK. Let's not forget that almost all of us were clammoring for Beastly Kingdom, so just because we put James Cameron's name into the mix does mean it instantly becomes tainted and wrong. Lucas destroyed the Star Wars brand but Star Tours is amazing (also... see the death of Indiana Jones)!

As usual we all just need to step back, wait for the art work to start coming (even the people blasting it will be excited over this, don't lie) and see what happens. ... and just hope it's not another way of ruining Stitch again. Poor little guy...

Just a thought.
    D
    It's gonna be the future soon
    I won't always be this way
    When the things that make me weak and strange get engineered away
    -Emil Bleehall - Adventurer of the Year!

Next Stop... MNSSHP Oct. 2011! Oh boy here we go!

Post Thanks / Like

I think the best thing that has happened since Disney announced the Avatar deal is; this thread. I do hope someone remembers to bump this back up when "Pandora" opens.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

All of our complaining probably isn't going to change the fact that Avatarland is coming to AK. So I'm willing to say "We'll see how it goes..." but my expectations aren't very high at all.

With that said, there was something on, I don't know, page 7 of this thread (haha) that I wanted to reply to.

It was to do with why many people feel this would be better suited at DHS than AK. I think it's because the attractions with movie tie-ins at Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are all tied to DISNEY movies. Whereas, Hollywood Studios is already full of "NON-DISNEY" movies. That's why it feels like DHS is the more proper location. It *feels* like there's an intruder coming onto our pristinely "Disney" properties instead of sticking to Hollywood Studios which is a mish-mash of various movie franchises. I mean, if ANY movie franchise can come onto Disney property, in any park, what makes it uniquely "Disney" anymore?

In regards to how Harry Potter fits in at Islands of Adventure: I don't know much about Universal but if Harry Potter is a Universal movie, and it's definitely fantasy/adventure-based, how does it not fit in there?

Secondly, there was talk about how much money Avatar grossed and how it's only 3rd behind Gone With The Wind and Titanic.
    My guess is, and I think someone else mentioned it, is that the reason for it's financial success was because it was the first big budget 3D movie. But to be honest, after going to Disney World for years and seeing numerous 3D films at the parks I wasn't even that impressed with that aspect when I saw Avatar. The story certainly wasn't anything spectacular. So perhaps it made so much money simply because for most people, 3D was a novelty?

Just my rambling thoughts....
    But we'll see how the land turns out and maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know much about Universal but if Harry Potter is a Universal movie
    It was a Warner Brothers movie, so I think (like Avatar) it was independently 'up for grabs'.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

It doesn't matter if the movie(and future movies) is good or bad, or if Avatarland is a good or bad fit into AK.
    It is up to DISNEY imagineers to take whatever idea is infront of them and make it enjoyable. And they will.
    I won the "Name the crocodile" contest.
    Anyone want a slightly used Pygmy war canoe?

1984 WDW-first trip
    1998 DLR
    July 2003 CBR
    Nov 2004 POP Century
    2005 DLR- Paradise Pier
    2009/2010 DLR- Halloween Party
    April 2011 - BW Park Place
    October 25, 2011 Halloween Party
    Sept 17-27 POR-RGR

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you can really even compare the situations of Harry Potter and Avatar. I see this being more about the theme and story plots from the Avatar Universe instead of bringing any characters from the movies into the land like WWOHP that is based on a character heavy movie/book series. The characters don't mean as much in a movie like Avatar as they do in Harry Potter, so it'll be all about how WDI can nail the theming and story. If they can do that, they are already in a pretty good spot...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

So it seems that maybe my previous post might have offended some people. After re-reading my original I could see how some might take what I wrote as a "personal attack". However, in no way was it meant to be that way. So if you were offended I apologize. My intent was more to challenge the negative points of view that Avatarland is a bad idea.

With that being said. I still think this is hard project to judge because there are very few facts of what might actually be built at AKL. Much like the Fantasyland expansion I'm sure what ever ideas are floating around at WDI will change several times. I'm sure it will be awhile before we see the concept art and ride descriptions but I am excited to see what they develop. So hopefully what WDI and Cameron come up with will blow our minds and this ends up being better than expected project.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

I do hope it's an expansion as opposed to a replacement - we really love all of AK! Love Dinoland, would be sad to see that replaced. If something had to get replaced I guess I would vote for Rafiki's Planet Watch/Conservation Station, even though we really love those too.

And just wanted to say that if any of my comments were perceived as a personal attack, I am genuinely sorry. They were not intended to be! It's a hot topic, people have strong opinions, don't assume because they differ from yours that's automatically a personal attack.

Post Thanks / Like

My two cents....what on Earth are they thinking?? Rather than spend all this money on something that's not "their's", why not spend it on some new ideas. While Avatar may be the latest, greatest thing (in some people's opinions), I really can't see it survive the test of time. Sure they have a couple more movies coming out, but the Avatar land won't be built for at least a couple more years, missing out on that "hype" time. But more importantly, really, 10 years from now, who the heck is gonna care about "Avatar Land"?! Back to the Future (in my opinion) is more of a movie to stand the test of time (no pun intended) and look how it was shelved at Universal. Heck, Jurassic Park seems pretty "passe" now too. I'm just scratching my head...

*Disneyland Paris Hotel
    *Grand Floridian
    *Disneyland Hotel
    *Boardwalk Inn *Bay Lake Tower
    *Contemporary *Old Key West
    *Polynesian Resort *Animal Kingdom Lodge
    * Port Orleans French Quarter
    * Fort Wilderness
    *Art of Animation * Pop Century
    * All Star Movies, Music & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jennsky View Post
    My two cents....what on Earth are they thinking?? Rather than spend all this money on something that's not "their's", why not spend it on some new ideas.
    I think that's some of my thinking as well. I know it can be done. I've been to Tokyo DisneySea.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post

It was to do with why many people feel this would be better suited at DHS than AK. I think it's because the attractions with movie tie-ins at Magic Kingdom, Epcot and Animal Kingdom are all tied to DISNEY movies. Whereas, Hollywood Studios is already full of "NON-DISNEY" movies. That's why it feels like DHS is the more proper location. It *feels* like there's an intruder coming onto our pristinely "Disney" properties instead of sticking to Hollywood Studios which is a mish-mash of various movie franchises. I mean, if ANY movie franchise can come onto Disney property, in any park, what makes it uniquely "Disney" anymore?
    That's exactly my feeling on the matter. I totally agree with this line of thought.

In regards to how Harry Potter fits in at Islands of Adventure: I don't know much about Universal but if Harry Potter is a Universal movie, and it's definitely fantasy/adventure-based, how does it not fit in there?
    I have been to IoA a few times. I guess the best reason WWOHP fits in there is because there is no predominant theme in that entire park. Rather, each "island" (land) has its own theme which is independent of the themes in its surrounding "islands". So, really, you can put ANYTHING there and it fits. For Universal's part, this sort of park layout was a smart idea, because it allows them to add/remove at whim, without affecting the other parts of the park.

Secondly, there was talk about how much money Avatar grossed and how it's only 3rd behind Gone With The Wind and Titanic.
    My guess is, and I think someone else mentioned it, is that the reason for it's financial success was because it was the first big budget 3D movie.
    Actually, after adjusting for inflation, gross DOMESTIC numbers tell a different story. Avatar comes in at #14, following Star Wars, Empire Strikes Back, 101 Dalmatians, and Snow White and the Seven Dwarves, to name just a few. Also, it's worth wondering how many of those ticket sales were repeat movie goers.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by tydas View Post
    Anyway, I persoanlly glad that Disney is throwing is Sci-Fi fans a bone. Also, this fits with Disney's idea of trying to be more attactive to the young male audience.
    I agree, DS19 may actually set foot in AK now! For those of us that travel with teen boys it's an interesting turn of events.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I think that's some of my thinking as well. I know it can be done. I've been to Tokyo DisneySea.
    And if the Oriental Land Company ever had a stake in the Florida parks, or all the rumors about Disney putting its domestic theme park holdings up for sale are true, I suspect we'd see that caliber of attraction at Disney World.

Unfortunately, investing that kind of money into an unproven entity does not exactly fit with the company's business strategy.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

As good or as bad as this may be, it has stirred up interest all over the place, without any huge marketing.

I have heard this being discussed on my favourite radio station, which would never normally mention anything like this. I have seen it talked about on a daily TV entertainment type show I watch. It has even gotten around with some of my co-workers, who by the way call me Mickey....don't know why....

It has created a buzz....which I don't think Disney has had in awhile.

They are taking a leap of faith and a big chance here, let's wait till it opens before we bash it to much.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Unfortunately, investing that kind of money into an unproven entity does not exactly fit with the company's business strategy.
    But isnt that exactly what they are doing with Avavtar?
    '76 offsite, '90 offsite, '03 Courtyard DTD, '04 offsite, '05 CBR, '05 POFQ solo, '06 Sports solo, '06 POFQ, '07 Pop, '09 offsite solo, '09 POFQ, '09 Music, '10 CS, '11 Pop, '12 Pop, '13 dolphin.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mdricks View Post
    But isnt that exactly what they are doing with Avavtar?
    Clearly, in the minds of the head honchos, no. Somebody in the Disney corporation believes that "Avatar" is a lasting franchise.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I'm stil not sure about this. I'm just not comfortable with it. It has nothing to do with James Cameron or Avatar being an outside property.

I can see it fitting in with AK, the whole nature thing. However, everything in AK now is from this planet, either right now or in the past (dinosaurs). There are no real fantasy elements in there.

At least when Universal got HP land, HP had a proven track record with almost an entire generation of kids growing up with the books and movies. Eight movies and not a bad one among them. Some were better than others, and a couple of excellent ones, but no duds. Although there are sequels in the works, Avatar has only one (albeit big) movie behind it. While the visuals were amazing, the story was a little weak. Like a pp mentioned, it is Disney trying to keep up with Universal, when it should be the other way around.

I can easily see how this can be done right and it will look amazing and I can see how TDO could destroy it like that big tree in the movie.

One thought that I just had was that the recent WDW changes/refurbs over the past couple of years have gone well (or at least not stunk) -

Fantasyland expansion - headed in right direction
    Tiki Room refurb - went OK
    Star Tours Refurb - went very well
    HM Refurb - went very well
    SM - went OK, although a missed opportunity, like Jeff mentioned in the Podcast
    TSM - great ride

Did I miss any duds?

Anyway, we'll see.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!