Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Not sure if I missed it but will they make a whole new land or will they replace a current land with this Avatar land?
    Off Site-- All Star Movies-- Pop Century-- Coronado Springs-- Port Orleans French Quarter
    Walt Disney-"Disneyland is a work of love. We didn't go into Disneyland just with the idea of making money."

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Daddy View Post
    The script for "Avatar" is almost exactly like "Pocahontas", so that's a connection. I didn't care for "Avatar". The visuals are stunning, but it was really heavy handed with it's environmental agenda.
    EXACTLY what I was going to say, but you beat me to it haha. I don't see it so much as Disney being out of ideas, but Avatar was pretty much Disney property story-wise from the get-go. Group comes to strange land in search of precious something or other from the land. There is a huge conflict between the incoming people and the natives who know how to live side-by-side with the land until one incoming man and native woman fall in love and the newcomers are shown the errors of their way. Legit the same storyline. I'm intrigued to see what they end up doing with this.
    "Do not fear mistakes. You will know failure. Continue to reach out." -Ben Franklin

Post Thanks / Like

In Avatars favor, absolutely STUNNING visuals. If you are going to see a movie for eye candy only, then you are fine.

Thats it. Nothing else. Very old and tired story line where the soldier goes "native" and renounces his former heritage. Dances with wolves was much better of a story. Pocohontas in Space just isnt very original.

Anyways, I too am stuggling to see a connection between Disney and Avatar. Im coming up with nothing. Its a bit violent for Disney I would think.

I do think that one "lesson" from the movie does mesh well with AK. Dont abuse the planet just for its natural resourses. But come on Disney, there have to be better examples out there. Or if not then make one.
    1982 MK
    1988 MK & Epcot
    1989 MK & Epcot
    2002 MK, Epcot and Disney MGM Studios
    2006 DL
    2008 MK, Epcot and DHS (Best trip EVER)

Booked- 5 year wedding aniv at Port Orleans Riverside April 20-22 2012

Planned Chirstmas 2012 offsite

Second Star to the right and straight on till morning.

Post Thanks / Like

This decision brings to the old southern 'preacherism' which says "when a good thing replaces the best thing, the good thing becomes a bad thing."

On the plus side an Avatar attraction/area will certainly give some new life to the Animal Kingdom and might even transform it into a full day park once again for many of us.

However, I do wonder at what cost. What "more truly Disney" ideas and attractions were pushed to the side or were "circularly filed" to jump on the stylistically appealing Avatar bandwagon? I sincerely hope the good thing isn't a bad thing...thou I do initially have my doubts
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Ok, this is so bad it HAS to be a joke. Avatar? Really? I could only watch bits and pieces of it before I decided it wasn't worth my time. It is COMPLETELY not Disney. What a waste of time, money and effort this will be. I guess I'm done with AK completely....
    I'm just curious, why is the movie NOT Disney? Cameron created a whole new world for the movie. It's about remembering where we come from, and living, not dying, with the things around us. What is more Disney than that?
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I do not like this at all....I have never seen Avatar but regardless, I think it will only appeal to a certain amount of people. Also, can you imagine.....Africa, Asia, Discovery Island, and Avatarland.......ugh! I was really hoping they would add a South America section in AK. I think the Amazon would be an amazing and appropriate land to add to AK. I am really hoping this ends up on the chopping block further out. This makes me

Post Thanks / Like

Wooooowwww.....lots of negativity here....
    Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    So it appears that Disney is out of their own ideas.
    ?
    Do you ride Star Tours,or see the Indiana Jones stunt show?
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    More like "out of money".
    Somehow, don't think this will be cheap...

Man, you'd think Disney had NO movies that made use of the theme of nature/animals/conservation.
    An awful lot of people complain (wrongly) about Disney using all their movies for rides...

People are going to go ballistic.
    Avatar drew a lot of people to the theaters, why wouldn't they come to WDW?

The visuals are stunning, but it was really heavy handed with it's environmental agenda.
    Evironmental agenda? In the Animal Kingdom?!

I will reserve my opinion until I see what it will look like. A lot of folks here scream for an AK expansion. Well......here it comes....

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Truely a disappointing day for Disney fans. While I thought Avatar was a good film, it really, in my opinion, was not very family friendly. It has some adult content and intense scenes which I don’t think fit the Disney model. While I think visually Pandora was amazing, I just don’t get how you can justify that fitting into Animal Kingdom. Because its about the environment? I’d would have rather have seen Disney build Endor at Hollywood Studios then this. Tap into your portfolio Imagineers, look at your rich heritage. There are so many stories you could draw from or better yet, do what you’ve done before and make something out of nothing. Look at Expedition Everest and Soarin’. No movie or tv show back them up, yet they are some of the most popular attractions at Disney World. It just seems to help justify to me that Disney is looking at the bottom line and not what is right for the parks. Yes Avatar will bring in tons of guests, and they’ll sell millions in merchandise, but is it Disney?? I think not. FAIL
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

Post Thanks / Like

Wink I like

I think this is cool. It's been a long time but when AK opened were there any attractions other than Bug's Life that were really "Disney"? The place is about conservation & responsibility to our planet. While Avatar was a bit preachy and tired on the story line it was visually stunning, and very imaginative.
    Not sure, but that seems very "Disney" to me!
    I think it would be cool to soar on one of those winged things through floating mountains!
    Call me nuts, ok MickeyNuts!

Post Thanks / Like

My goodness. Almost not a single positive post in this entire thread so far?

These criticisms are completely absurd. Yes, Disney is using another company's property. And? I assume you also never set foot near the Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Muppet-Vision or Disneyland's brilliant Indiana Jones Adventure. All of those attractions -- all of which have been considered among Disney's best -- are based on other properties. So is "Avatar." Big deal. ("Harry Potter," the golden goose of the theme-park industry, the property Disney decided to pass on, is owned by another company as well.) Also, all I have been reading in the Disney fan community lately is that Disney has been too dependent on its own films for inspiration. That all Disney cares about is synergy.

This is going to be a massive hit for Disney if the project is done correctly. The people who flocked to Universal -- rightly so -- for Forbidden Journey will come back to Disney for this. Disney needed its "Potter Swatter." Here it is.

Let me be clear that I enjoyed the first "Avatar" film for what it was, but by no means do I consider myself a fan of the franchise. Actually, I care about "Avatar" as much as I care about "Harry Potter," which is another way of saying I couldn't care less. I imagine 99% of you have never seen the film "Song of the South," yet still think Splash Mountain is a world-class attraction. This will (hopefully) be a powerfully immersive theme-park attraction. Why does it matter if it's "Avatar," "Pocahontas," "Cars" or something new altogether?
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    Soarin’. No movie or tv show back them up, yet they are some of the most popular attractions at Disney World.
    Soarin'? It's a wonderful attraction, but it does not even bother with story -- every Disney fan's favorite buzzword.

"Avatar" fits just fine in Animal Kingdom. The park was designed with mythical animals in mind. OK, perhaps Beastly Kingdomme would be a better fit, but this doesn't sound like a bad replacement.

This entire thread just reminds us that hardcore Disney fans represent a tiny, miniscule, insignificant sector of Disney World's guests. It also shows why Disney ignores its fans with nearly every decision it makes.

Imagine if they had actually kept Mr. Toad's Wild Ride in its place. Disney fans would be happy, but it wouldn't half lines 1/3 as long as the ones that mob The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh each and every day.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the official press release;

Long-term agreement will bring AVATAR themed lands to Disney parks, with the first at Walt Disney World in Orlando

BURBANK (September 20, 2011) – Walt Disney Parks and Resorts Worldwide is joining forces with visionary filmmaker James Cameron and Fox Filmed Entertainment to bring the world of AVATAR to life at Disney parks. Through an exclusive agreement announced today by Disney, Cameron’s Lightstorm Entertainment and Fox, Disney will partner with Cameron and producing partner Jon Landau to create themed lands that will give theme park guests the opportunity to explore the mysterious universe of AVATAR first hand. Disney plans to build the first AVATAR themed land at Walt Disney World, within the Animal Kingdom park. With its emphasis on living in harmony with nature, Animal Kingdom is a natural fit for the AVATAR stories, which share the same philosophy. Construction is expected to begin by 2013.

“James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible,” said Robert A. Iger, President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James’ talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney.”

“AVATAR created a world which audiences can discover again and again and now, through this incredible partnership with Disney, we’ll be able to bring Pandora to life like never before. With two new AVATAR films currently in development, we’ll have even more locations, characters and stories to explore,” said James Cameron. ”I’m chomping at the bit to start work with Disney’s legendary Imagineers to bring our AVATAR universe to life. Our goal is to go beyond current boundaries of technical innovation and experiential storytelling, and give park goers the chance to see, hear, and touch the world of AVATAR with an unprecedented sense of reality.”

The agreement announced today gives The Walt Disney Company exclusive global theme park rights to the AVATAR franchise and provides for additional AVATAR themed lands at other Disney parks. The other locations will be determined by Disney and its international theme park partners. James Cameron, Jon Landau and their Lightstorm Entertainment group will serve as creative consultants on the projects and will partner with Walt Disney Imagineering in the design and development of the AVATAR themed lands.

“This exciting new venture combines the world of AVATAR with the enormous reach of Disney and the incomparable talent of Jim Cameron,” commented Fox Filmed Entertainment chairmen Jim Gianopulos and Tom Rothman. “While Jim is bringing audiences further into Pandora with the next two chapters in the AVATAR motion picture saga, the theme park attraction will likewise bring a new dimension to the amazing universe he created.”

“AVATAR is a uniquely powerful franchise that has global appeal with audiences of all ages. Its spectacular settings, intriguing characters, imaginative creatures, and strong themes of family and loyalty make it a perfect fit for Disney,” said Thomas O. Staggs, Chairman, Walt Disney Parks and Resorts. “We can’t wait to give our guests the ability to journey to Pandora and explore the incredible immersive world of AVATAR in person.”

In addition to setting a global box office record, AVATAR has been hailed as one of the most innovative and visually stunning movies ever produced. With its advanced motion capture and 3-D digital projection technologies developed by James Cameron and his team, moviegoers were able to connect with the world of AVATAR in new and engaging ways.
    This new venture complements Walt Disney Parks & Resorts’ strategic efforts to continue to invest in its core theme park businesses around the world while simultaneously expanding into other parts of the family vacation business.
    ###
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    I'm just curious, why is the movie NOT Disney? Cameron created a whole new world for the movie. It's about remembering where we come from, and living, not dying, with the things around us. What is more Disney than that?
    I was typing a reply and then I saw this from Imagineer1981:

Truely a disappointing day for Disney fans. While I thought Avatar was a good film, it really, in my opinion, was not very family friendly. It has some adult content and intense scenes which I don’t think fit the Disney model. While I think visually Pandora was amazing, I just don’t get how you can justify that fitting into Animal Kingdom. Because its about the environment? I’d would have rather have seen Disney build Endor at Hollywood Studios then this. Tap into your portfolio Imagineers, look at your rich heritage. There are so many stories you could draw from or better yet, do what you’ve done before and make something out of nothing. Look at Expedition Everest and Soarin’. No movie or tv show back them up, yet they are some of the most popular attractions at Disney World. It just seems to help justify to me that Disney is looking at the bottom line and not what is right for the parks. Yes Avatar will bring in tons of guests, and they’ll sell millions in merchandise, but is it Disney?? I think not. FAIL
    That's why.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    Do you ride Star Tours,or see the Indiana Jones stunt show?
    I've seen Indiana Jones twice and (the old) Star Tours three times. Both nice attractions. Considering how many days I've been in DHS that would be... hardly ever.

DHS is supposed to be based on Hollywood, AK is not.

Disney can come up with with something better... and should.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    While I thought Avatar was a good film, it really, in my opinion, was not very family friendly. It has some adult content and intense scenes which I don’t think fit the Disney model. While I think visually Pandora was amazing, I just don’t get how you can justify that fitting into Animal Kingdom. Because its about the environment? I’d would have rather have seen Disney build Endor at Hollywood Studios then this.
    How can you endorse an expansion of Star Wars and talk about how Avatar has too much adult content in the same paragraph? They are both PG-13. Both are violent and have scantily-clad women. But, like both movies, people took away how visually stunning the movies were.
    I just do not get all the negativity here. What kind of fans are we, when any decision Disney makes is doomed to fail, in our opinion? Let's have a little faith.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    My goodness. Almost not a single positive post in this entire thread so far?

These criticisms are completely absurd. Yes, Disney is using another company's property. And? I assume you also never set foot near the Tower of Terror, Star Tours, Muppet-Vision or Disneyland's brilliant Indiana Jones Adventure. All of those attractions -- all of which have been considered among Disney's best -- are based on other properties. So is "Avatar." Big deal. ("Harry Potter," the golden goose of the theme-park industry, the property Disney decided to pass on, is owned by another company as well.) Also, all I have been reading in the Disney fan community lately is that Disney has been too dependent on its own films for inspiration. That all Disney cares about is synergy.

This is going to be a massive hit for Disney if the project is done correctly. The people who flocked to Universal -- rightly so -- for Forbidden Journey will come back to Disney for this. Disney needed its "Potter Swatter." Here it is.

Let me be clear that I enjoyed the first "Avatar" film for what it was, but by no means do I consider myself a fan of the franchise. Actually, I care about "Avatar" as much as I care about "Harry Potter," which is another way of saying I couldn't care less. I imagine 99% of you have never seen the film "Song of the South," yet still think Splash Mountain is a world-class attraction. This will (hopefully) be a powerfully immersive theme-park attraction. Why does it matter if it's "Avatar," "Pocahontas," "Cars" or something new altogether?
    Well said.

While 'Animal' Kingdom seems like a strange fit, I'm looking forward to something added onto the park.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    How can you endorse an expansion of Star Wars and talk about how Avatar has too much adult content in the same paragraph? They are both PG-13. Both are violent and have scantily-clad women. But, like both movies, people took away how visually stunning the movies were.
    I just do not get all the negativity here. What kind of fans are we, when any decision Disney makes is doomed to fail, in our opinion? Let's have a little faith.
    That's exactly what I have...very little faith. I would have more faith if it were a Disney property. That is perhaps not justified, but I would have a better feeling about it. I think a big part of my issue is that the parts of Avatar I saw, I hated. It just screamed "Beautiful visuals with no real interesting content." I am simply disappointed because they could have done so much better. I may be wrong. I hope I am. I fear I'm not.
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NewDVCowner View Post
    Well said.

While 'Animal' Kingdom seems like a strange fit, I'm looking forward to something added onto the park.
    Remember, there was a dragon in the original Animal Kingdom logo for a reason. Giant blue aliens are as "real" as the yeti in Expedition Everest.

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm a little tired of the gotcha comparisons to Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as examples of non-Disney properties in WDW. This misses the point entirely. These are attractions within Hollywood studios...not an entire LAND within a park. If Disney wants to build an Avatar attraction in DHS that's one thing...but an entire land in AK...I'll pass.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR
    2008 - SSR
    2009 - VWL
    2011 - POR & BWV
    2013 - AKL - Kidani
    2015 - Disneyland

Howell, MI (Detroit) - 1176 miles from the Wilderness Lodge
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    Remember, there was a dragon in the original Animal Kingdom logo for a reason. Giant blue aliens are as "real" as the yeti in Expedition Everest.
    That's a stretch...EE is an attraction in Asia and is set within the very real Himalayas. The planet Pandora isn't real last time I checked.
    Up Next:
    1/2016 - VGC - Disneyland

1996 - Off Site
    1998 - Off Site
    1999 - FW Cabins
    2000 - ASM
    2000 - FW Cabins
    2001 - ASM
    2002 - Wilderness Lodge & Fairy Tale Wedding
    2004 - ASMu
    2006 - VWL
    2007 - CSR