Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisnIse View Post
    Dislike!

I read it and thought it was some kind of time-delay April Fools Joke.
    This is exactly what I was thinking, must be some kind of joke. I watched the movie, was not a fan. It took me several minutes of saying "Whaaat?????" before it actually sunk it this wasn't a joke.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Reading all your comments I am really encouraged that at last I will have a section of a Disney Park all to myself. I can't wait!

Post Thanks / Like

Just going to be honest:

I thought the writing in Avatar was terrible. I am not excited about this... but I am curious to see what they can do. I am going to try and stay optimistic about this very bold move on the part of both parties involved.

Truly hope this does not disappoint.
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, but I'm not interested......I think I might be the only person left on earth that hasn't seen this movie.....don't plan to either...
    WDW '87 POLYNESIAN
    WDW '94 OKW
    WDW '95 OKW
    WDW '97 OKW
    WDW '99 OKW
    WDW '99 OKW
    WDW '01 OKW
    WDW '02 OKW
    WDW '04 OKW

WDW '06 SARATOGA SPRINGS
    WDW '07 OKW
    WDW '08 OKW
    WDW '09 OKW/SARATOGA SPRINGS
    WDW '12 OKW/BCV

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I'm a little tired of the gotcha comparisons to Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as examples of non-Disney properties in WDW. This misses the point entirely. These are attractions within Hollywood studios...not an entire LAND within a park. If Disney wants to build an Avatar attraction in DHS that's one thing...but an entire land in AK...I'll pass.
    If somehow Disney could pay Universal a zillion dollars and move the entire Wizarding World of Harry Potter from Islands of Adventure to the Magic Kingdom, would you boycott that, too? As long as Disney makes this "Avatar" area in Animal Kingdom a worthwhile experience, why does it matter where it came from?

The Wizarding World is the most important development in the theme-park industry in decades--perhaps the biggest since EPCOT Center opened. Universal realized then what Disney is just starting to realize now, and that these properties have incredible value.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    The Wizarding World is the most important development in the theme-park industry in decades--perhaps the biggest since EPCOT Center opened. Universal realized then what Disney is just starting to realize now, and that these properties have incredible value.
    It didn't take Harry Potter to realize that franchises like this have value- it is just that Avatar represents more global value than Harry Potter ever could (remember, this announcement pertains to Disney Parks worldwide- any coincidence that there's a major park being built in Shanghai right now where Avatar was a huge hit?)

There are very few properties that can be considered worldwide phenomenons and can play to diverse audiences- Pirates of the Caribbean was one of them.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. My nerd of a husband will be ECSTATIC!!! I think he saw Avatar 20 times in the theater.
    (Or I guess I should use this-> til we get more blue ppl smilies! )

I'm not that worried about it. As long as the whole park isn't avatar, I'm good. I have worse things to worry about. It'll be like American Idol- just another place I don't have to stand in line
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Imagineer 1: So, it stinks all those ideas I had for Disney's Beastly Kingdom at Animal Kingdom got shelved because of $$.

Imagineer 2: Yeah, we put so much time and effort into developing something that will never see the light of day.

Imagineer 1: Bean Counters - they kill all the cool stuff.

(Ring Ring)

Imagineer 2: Who's that on the phone? James Cameron you say?

Imagineer 1:
    John - aka. The Master Control Program
    Owner, Chairman & Chief Imagination Officer - INTERCOT

Post Thanks / Like

I like the idea and think it is a brilliant move on Disney's part. I think Disney does "eye candy" better than anyone. I guess I will have to wait at least 5 years to know if Disney pulled it off.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I just see no comparison between Harry Potter and Avatar.

7 very successful books, 8 blockbuster movies spread out over many years, which entertain a wide fan base versus 1 blockbuster film with an arguably limited fan base and buzz that died down years ago.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mufasa View Post
    It didn't take Harry Potter to realize that franchises like this have value- it is just that Avatar represents more global value than Harry Potter ever could (remember, this announcement pertains to Disney Parks worldwide- any coincidence that there's a major park being built in Shanghai right now where Avatar was a huge hit?)
    Really? "Avatar" with more global reach than "Harry Potter?" I wouldn't have guessed that, but I will defer to your judgment here. That just solidifies my opinion that this was a total no-brainer on Disney's part.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I've seen Indiana Jones twice and (the old) Star Tours three times. Both nice attractions. Considering how many days I've been in DHS that would be... hardly ever.

DHS is supposed to be based on Hollywood, AK is not.

Disney can come up with with something better... and should.
    Well, first off, GO TO THE NEW STAR TOURS!!! It's great! Secondly, it's reportedly based on the world of Pandora more than the conflict brought to it. If that is true, it goes with the original tag line for Animal Kingdom...all the creatures that ever were, and never were.

It sounds interesting to me. If the sequels are near as big as the original, there will be a lot of interest in Pandora.

BTW, I haven't seen the movie (yeah, I'm the one), but now I will go out and rent it.

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    1 blockbuster film with an arguably limited fan base and buzz that died down years ago.
    Years ago? The movie came out in 2009 and grossed 2.8 billion worldwide, the DVD/Blu Ray last year, and a new one is coming in 2015...just before the new land is scheduled to open.

wandering around a freezer somewhere below POTC in NOS
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    I just see no comparison between Harry Potter and Avatar.

7 very successful books, 8 blockbuster movies spread out over many years, which entertain a wide fan base versus 1 blockbuster film with an arguably limited fan base and buzz that died down years ago.
    The Avatar additions to AK should come sometime in 2015 (just in time between the 2nd and 3rd films in the trilogy)- with a reason why doing something with Avatar now being attractive is that attraction development will take place concurrently and take full advantage of the films being in production.

What I wonder about with this announcement though on a side note is Disney's faith (or perhaps lack of) in Andrew Stanton's upcoming John Carter of Mars film based on the Edgar Rice Burroughs novels (which themselves in some ways were inspiration for Avatar)- if you're talking about a franchise there were 11 volumes I think in that series?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I'm a little tired of the gotcha comparisons to Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as examples of non-Disney properties in WDW. This misses the point entirely. These are attractions within Hollywood studios...not an entire LAND within a park. If Disney wants to build an Avatar attraction in DHS that's one thing...but an entire land in AK...I'll pass.
    Gotcha?? Ok... Well, how about all the talk lately about a Lucasland in DHS? Did you pooh-pooh () that?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    BTW, I haven't seen the movie (yeah, I'm the one), but now I will go out and rent it.

You're not alone. Actually just yesterday I noticed that it was available on HBO On Demand, so I might end up watching it now.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

The biggest difference I see in Avatar versus Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Twilight Zone, etc., is that those already had proven staying power before the attractions were built.

Avatar has had one movie, albeit an extremely popular one. That doesn't show that it's a franchise as much as it shows that people liked one movie. Anyone remember a little film called The Matrix? The first one was extraordinarily popular, but the second two were roundly considered garbage. How does Disney/Cameron know that this won't happen with Avatar?

I don't like the idea. I'd rather see a land in DHS dedicated to Star Wars than this.
    Nothing is impossible, it just hasn't been done yet!

CosmicRay's DH
    DVC Member since 2010 (Saratoga Springs)

Been there more times than I can count. Used to be close enough to watch the fireworks every night.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rather go to "Avatarland" than to "Princessland"... must just be me!

“James Cameron is a groundbreaking filmmaker and gifted storyteller who shares our passion for creativity, technological innovation and delivering the best experience possible,” said Robert A. Iger, President and CEO of The Walt Disney Company. “With this agreement, we have the extraordinary opportunity to combine James’ talent and vision with the imagination and expertise of Disney.”
    I can't help but think that this is a win for WDW. Like others have said, it will be another place I won't have to wait in long lines!
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ElenitaB View Post
    I can't help but think that this is a win for WDW. Like others have said, it will be another place I won't have to wait in long lines!
    We wish. Disney fans are all bemoaning the end of the parks. Everybody else in the world is salivating at the opportunity to visit Pandora.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizHawk View Post
    The biggest difference I see in Avatar versus Harry Potter, Star Wars, Indiana Jones, The Twilight Zone, etc., is that those already had proven staying power before the attractions were built.

Avatar has had one movie, albeit an extremely popular one. That doesn't show that it's a franchise as much as it shows that people liked one movie.Anyone remember a little film called The Matrix? The first one was extraordinarily popular, but the second two were roundly considered garbage. How does Disney/Cameron know that this won't happen with Avatar?
    I agree with that, but I'm sure Disney is trying to build it during the biggest surge, not toward the end like HP. It's a calculated risk.

I don't like the idea. I'd rather see a land in DHS dedicated to Star Wars than this.
    No, no, no....BOTH!!

Page 3 of 16 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: