Quantcast AVATAR coming to Disney Parks - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizHawk View Post
    Anyone remember a little film called The Matrix? The first one was extraordinarily popular, but the second two were roundly considered garbage. How does Disney/Cameron know that this won't happen with Avatar?

I don't like the idea. I'd rather see a land in DHS dedicated to Star Wars than this.
    Agreed. Avatar could be a one hit wonder. The first movie was essentially Pocahantas, so it had a proven storyline. The next two could be terrible. Wizarding World opened after 7 books and 5 successful movies. Star Tours and Indiana Jones are iconic films. Avatar has sooo much more to prove. Plus I felt Avatar was not nearly as family friendly, granted the later Potter movies aren't either, but it just seems so unimaginative. If it weren't for Johnny Depp, the Pirates franchise may have collapsed after the 2nd film.
    1999 -2005 Former CM at Space Mtn and Caricature artist at AK and Resorts
    Jan 06 BC/Cruise/ASM
    Sept 06 Pop
    April 07 Pop
    Dec. 07 Caribbean Beach
    Aug 09 Pop
    May 10 Pop
    Jan 12 - Dolphin - WDW Half Marathon 1:44:45
    Sept 12 - ToT run and MNSSHP - Pop

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    We wish. Disney fans are all bemoaning the end of the parks. Everybody else in the world is salivating at the opportunity to visit Pandora.
    And thanks to this contract, they won't be salivating about something else at Universal...

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

I literally was just watching this last night/this morning before I went to sleep. What is REALLY scary (And I'm not even kidding about this), I came up with an idea to replace Dinosaur/CTX with an Avatar themed ride using the same technology. I didn't think it through cause I figured it would never happen and was probably stupid anyway, but after this news I feel like a genius...

So before I get to my thoughts, let me just say that if you have never seen the movie then I'm sorry but you can't say that it will stink and wondering what were they thinking about. You can be uninterested and not care what they do, but that's just like saying that you love the movie and the land will be awesome. We have ZERO idea what is going to happen with this idea. This thing was just announced a few hours ago. Everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax for a minute.

So I'm liking that they are finally adding something new to Animal Kingdom. Looks like we will never get Beastly Kingdom which stinks, but it probably wasn't gonna happen.

Whatever your opinion of the movie, this is going to be pretty interesting...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by WDWfanatic742 View Post

We have ZERO idea what is going to happen with this idea. This thing was just announced a few hours ago. Everyone needs to take a chill pill and relax for a minute.

So I'm liking that they are finally adding something new to Animal Kingdom. Looks like we will never get Beastly Kingdom which stinks, but it probably wasn't gonna happen.

Whatever your opinion of the movie, this is going to be pretty interesting...
    Pretty much what I was thinking. I really didn't expect the gnashing of teeth and panic all around.

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the movie avatar, but my kiddo really liked it and has it on blu ray. So I guess I need to watch it so I can see what it's all about.
    I am keeping an open mind about the avatar land. They need to add something to AK to keep people coming. It will be interesting to see how it turns out.
    As much as I love Mickey Mouse and want everything to stay Disney at WDW, I realize the parks have to make $$$ to stay open. Personally, I can't say I have ever been disappointed yet. So, I'm gonna have faith that they will do an awesome job!
    Magic is everywhere if you know where to look!

Visiting Disneyland since 1969 & Walt Disney World since 1994!

Disney Fan since birth!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Imagineer1981 View Post
    If it weren't for Johnny Depp, the Pirates franchise may have collapsed after the 2nd film.
    If it weren't for Johnny Depp, there may not have been a second movie. I doubt Capt Jack Sparrow would be iconic by someone other than Depp.

Now back to your regularly scheduled argument

Post Thanks / Like

This caught me, and I'm sure many others, completely by surprise! I'm excited to see something big coming to AK, but just not sure if I like this idea or not. I'll just wait and see how this plays out, and then decide if I like it or not.
    Everybody else is thinking it, I'm just saying it. - Mr Gibbs
    ---
    2/00-OKW/BW
    9/00-YC
    7/01-BW
    12/01-Doubletree Suites (DTD)
    4/02-WL
    4/03-BW
    2/04-Mariott Horizons
    7/04-POP
    2/06-POP
    9/06-POP
    9/07-POP
    6/08-Dolphin/POP
    10/09-POP
    10/10-POP
    3/10-CSR

Post Thanks / Like

I saw Avatar and thought it was just OK, I saw it on BLu Ray and thought the visuals were great, but all the money was made at the box office and it was sooo popular, in my opinion, because of the 3D which I heard was amazing.

Everyone needs to keep an open mind, I for one HATE the POTC movies, but I love the ride, Haunted Mansion the movie stinks. But the ride is awesome. Get my point? A good/bad movie/ride doesn't always translate into the same reaction from the public.

Just wait until it opens to make an opinion and I am sure you won't need to of seen the movie to enjoy the park etc...just take it for what it's worth.
    August 1989- Caribbean Beach Resort
    July 1996- Swan
    July 1998- Contemporary Resort
    May 2010- Boardwalk
    October 2011-POP!
    June 2013 - Off Property
    July 2014- Off Property
    October 2014 - AKL
    April 2015 - POP!
    June 2015 - ?

Post Thanks / Like

When I first read this I went, "Huh?" with a lot of other people. And I get the negative comments. But even if you've never seen the movie or know the story, if Disney does this right, they could really have something.

First, James Cameron is a BIG thinker. In Disneyspeak, he likes to "plus" things. He uses technology to his strongest advantage in his films, and he definitely gets "immersion" into a place and time. And, big exclamation point, he likes to spend money to make things look good.

Second, Pandora fits perfectly in the original vision of mythical creatures in Animal Kingdom, and in the current park itself. Jungles, vistas, the beauty of nature, and adventure all exist in both AK and Cameron's world.

I can't think of a single attraction in any park, Disney or not, that plunks down a movie storyline verbatum in an attraction, so I don't understand the worry about violence. The POTC movies had throat-slittings, shootings, hangings, etc., and last I looked, the Pirates movies were proudly Disney, and none of those things turned up in the POTC attraction revamp.

I can see this idea having lots of possibilities. We skipped AK on our last trip, but hopefully this will be ambitious enough for us to spend a day there.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Olivia's Daddy View Post
    The script for "Avatar" is almost exactly like "Pocahontas", so that's a connection. I didn't care for "Avatar". The visuals are stunning, but it was really heavy handed with it's environmental agenda.

Avatar is an extremely politically charged movie that was disguised extremely well using a sci-fi fantasy theme and lots of CGI & special effects. They took some of the elements from Pocahontas to help with their disguise but the true message was Anti-American and Anti-Big Oil. The premise comes down to the American Military in this case the Marines are mercenaries for big oil and the movies ends with them leaving defeated with their tails between their legs. I can't believe Disney is making a deal with Cameron & Fox to incorporate this into their theme parks
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Goofster View Post
    I'm a little tired of the gotcha comparisons to Star Tours, Indiana Jones and Tower of Terror as examples of non-Disney properties in WDW. This misses the point entirely. These are attractions within Hollywood studios...not an entire LAND within a park. If Disney wants to build an Avatar attraction in DHS that's one thing...but an entire land in AK...I'll pass.
    Hmmm.....

So, it's OK to build an attraction based on a movie (or franchise) in a park, but it's NOT OK for Disney to *try something new* and build a new land in an existing park that actually fits the theme/idea of the park?

What happened to all of the complaining about Disney not spending $$$ to "get with the times" and bring us something new? What about all the threads that bemoan cheap refurbs to rides? Now that Disney is about to lay out some serious dough and build a completely new section to a park that everyone agrees isn't finished, we're complaining about that too?

No one can use the argument that "It's not a Disney Property", because obviously the partnerships with George Lucas and Jim Henson (before Disney bought the Muppets) blow that argument out of the water.

Sure, Disney has never taken a film franchise to build an entire section of a park, but this just means that they're thinking outside of the box (for Disney, anyway...as TWWofHP obviously is the same idea) and trying something new. I applaud Disney for doing this. I can't wait to see what they come up with.

Avatar totally fits in the Animal Kingdom as it's own land. As someone else pointed out, it was supposed to have a Mythical Creatures section, and boy, does this fit.

As someone else pointed out, Avatar was a huge hit worldwide. Highest grossing movie ever. Heck, there were people who went and saw Avatar and fell in love...they had to seek counseling because they were depressed that it wasn't a real place. I've never heard of anything happening like this. Ever heard of anyone needing therapy because Harry Potter's not real? Now, these people likely had other issues before seeing Avatar, but still...it had quite an effect on people.

It's not a great story, but it's an amazing movie nonetheless. Can't wait to see what it looks like.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Avatar

We'll be there for the opening! Over the years we've found that not every new Idea has been interesting to us. There is so many wonderful attractions, shows and entertainment to participate in that we will continue to travel to WDW.
    KODABEAR
    FIRST TRIP MARCH '79 POLY
    175 plus trips

Post Thanks / Like

The premise comes down to the American Military in this case the Marines are mercenaries for big oil and the movies ends with them leaving defeated with their tails between their legs.
    The enemy in the movie is a private security force, which is made up of EX-marines. The movie is a statement on the force and power that we have, and how we have the ability to lose sight of the importance and beauty of what's around us when we get consumed by greed and power. I think that is a universal theme every human can identify with, and if you chose to make it political, that is your own prerogative.
    If anything, I would call it an allegory for the way we treated the original American Indians, which is something I don't think we remember enough.
    Regardless of any of this, it's our tendency as adults to read into things. The beauty of nature, stopping and smelling the roses, is something Disney has always been about. I have high hopes.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

I think this will be an exciting new addition to Animal Kingdom. I can imagine a ride similar to Harry Potters Forbidden Journey with all the aerial scenes from the movie recreated like your zooming around pandora on a flying banshee.I'll bet they could make that ride pretty intense with some animatronics thrown in. As a father of three girls even I have to admit Disney needs more for the boys to get excited about and this could be it. Animal Kingdom has been a half day park for my family since it opened, maybe this can change that . Let's hope so

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    Avatar is an extremely politically charged movie that was disguised extremely well using a sci-fi fantasy theme and lots of CGI & special effects. They took some of the elements from Pocahontas to help with their disguise but the true message was Anti-American and Anti-Big Oil. The premise comes down to the American Military in this case the Marines are mercenaries for big oil and the movies ends with them leaving defeated with their tails between their legs. I can't believe Disney is making a deal with Cameron & Fox to incorporate this into their theme parks
    Sorry Jeff, but I think it's silly to bring politics into this discussion. Disney doesn't care about politics -- it cares about money. "Avatar" will make the company lots of it. There is absolutely no political agenda or motivation behind this decision.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by McLiberal8 View Post
    and if you chose to make it political, that is your own prerogative.
    Not to be picky here but I didn't make it Political, Cameron did when he said it parallels the events in the world today especially the situation in the Middle East. He was basically talking about the Iraq War and the US Military being used as a private security force for Big Oil. Was it Cleverly disguised yes it was and really without knowing how Cameron works this stuff into his movies it's not always in your face but it's there.
    Jeff (aka JPL)
    Former VMK alias figgiefig
    Intercot Staff
    Disney Tech - Software, Games & Web
    The Locker Room
    Disney Vacation Club

[email protected]

"Remember it all started with a Mouse"

Post Thanks / Like

I'm okay with it. I'm not a huge Avatar fan (more of a Lucas geek) but I see the potential for something huge. Cameron will push for the best technology - this can only mean innovative cool rides for Disney. This is good in my book. A franchise like this is a good buy for Disney - I would prefer it be there then in Universal.

Joint ventures with brands isn't anything new. Winnie the Pooh, muppets, Lucas Films, and so on.

I will hold my whining until we at least see some concept art

~Amanda
    "They punch a hole in the sky with FIRE and MATH!" - Gary podcast #19

Post Thanks / Like

I was surprised by this announcement - not because of the quality of the movie, or the message of the movie, or anything like that. I was surprised because there had been so many great ideas floating around for so long, I would have thought we'd see one of those come to light.

I also have not seen the movie. I had no interest in seeing it, but if nothing else, the discussion in this threat has piqued my interest enough to give it a try.

As for the addition to AK? I'm going to hold off on forming an opinion until I hear more. Who knows? Maybe it will turn out to be something that can be enjoyed whether you liked the move or not. Just not enough info yet.

Post Thanks / Like

Avatar land in MK? My guess is it will look amazing, but steal it's theme from Fern Gully and insult the intelligence of anyone who sees it.

But that's just a guess.
    All-Star Sports (Sep 08)
    Caribbean Beach - Pirate Rooms (Sep 09)
    All-Star Sports (Sep 10)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Dec 11)
    Port Orleans Riverside (Feb 13)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by JPL View Post
    I'm not sure anyone was fooled with the "disguise". The message resonated with a huge population of the globe.
    Our military budget subsidises global commerce for which the benefitting corporations do not pay direct costs. Think the Navy.
    There are also a couple of wars going on fought over and intertwined with relatively large oilfields for which the widows and orphans would be financially better off had their deceased been mercenaries or employees of Blackwater with larger paychecks.

Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: