Quantcast Shipping Clothes??? To Do or Not to DO??

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Shipping Clothes??? To Do or Not to DO??

Hello Everyone!! We are a family of WDW veterans. This is our 6th yearly trip our 12th trip total over the years. My question is, I have my dds clothing planned out for all the days we will be at WDW, should I ship their clothes to avoid the baggage fees? The shipped clothing could possibly be safer than the checked luggage? Then should I ship home out dirty laundry and purchases?
    Any suggestions or thoughts?
    Dec 2017, 2016, 2015 Caribbean Beach
    Dec 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008, 2007, 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2005 and Dec 2014 All Star Music
    Dec 2003 All Star Movies
    Jan 2002 All Star Music
    Feb 2000 All Star Sports
    May 1997 Port New Orleans
    May 1996 Disney Villa
    May 1987 Off Site 1st Trip

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I would definitely ship the purchases. I would pack light and pay the fees for the rest.
    My Disney Homes Away From Home!

Caribbean Beach Resort - 1996, 2021
    All-Star Movies Resort - 2001
    Port Orleans French Quarter Resort - 2004
    All-Star Sports Resort - 2005, 2018 - 2019
    Disney Wonder - 2005
    Pop Century Resort - 2006, 2017
    Animal Kingdom Villas - 2013
    Coronado Springs Resort - 2019

Post Thanks / Like

I pack last minute, never know what the weather is going to be in the Winter. Some hotels now charge for shipping items ahead of time.

As far as shipping stuff home. If you end up finding anything worth buying (please let me know cuz I haven't found anything in years), but find out the shipping charges and weight the pro/cons.

Anything fragile, I let Disney ship, that way if it breaks, Disney can replace it for me. Otherwise, I bring it on the plane with me, carry-on for checked bags, whatever is easier.

Post Thanks / Like

Fly Southwest - no baggage fees!!!
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

You can take a pretty sizable bag on a plan as a carry on piece nowadays. Not sure how long your trip is but I have been able to fit a weeks' worth of clothing in a carry-on suitcase. The problem nowadays is that everyone checks luggage in order to avoid fees, and the overhead area can get full quickly. I flew twice over the summer and had to gate-check my bags (thankfully it was free.) Depending on how you pack you may be able to avoid baggage fees but it isn't guaranteed.

I would not want to deal with the logistics of shipping my clothes, but that's just me. I agree with the suggestions to allow Disney to ship breakable or large items for you. On this past trip, the things that we wanted to buy were in the "let Disney ship" category (artwork that wouldn't have packed well on the plane.) What we actually bought was small or squishy enough to come home in the suitcases.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Anything fragile, I let Disney ship, that way if it breaks, Disney can replace it for me.
    Will Disney ship it for free if you purchase on site? I've never realized this.
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHD View Post
    Will Disney ship it for free if you purchase on site? I've never realized this.
    hehe Nothing is free at Disney except water (and it seems that's hit or miss these days).

Disney has turned shipping into a renevue stream. It's based on the cost of the items you purchase and is quite expensive if you ask me. Airline baggage fees will probably be cheaper quite frankly.

BUT, breakable items are replaced by Disney if they don't survive the shipping. So, I let Disney take the chances, as once I walk out of a store at Disney (on the off chance I find something worth buying) it's mine and my responsibility to get home.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, that's what I figured. Sounded like maybe you had found a loophole.

Thanks for the reply!
    Disneyland 30+
    * 2000 (Jul) - Off-site * 2003 (Aug) - Contemporary * 2006 (Jul) - Fort Wilderness Cabins * 2009-10 (Dec-Jan) - Caribbean Beach * 2011 (Nov) - POP (13 days!!!) * 2013 (Jul) - Saratoga Springs * 2014 (Jul) Boardwalk Villas * 2015 (Jul) AKV/VWL * 2016 (Jul) OKW

DVC SSR > Mar-2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheHD View Post
    Ok, that's what I figured. Sounded like maybe you had found a loophole.

Thanks for the reply!
    Loophole? At the Disney Institute, first day of classes they teach you if the cash register drawer doesn't open, you did something wrong.

Post Thanks / Like

We've shipped clothes, diapers and pretty much everything except the kitchen sink to WDW before. One thing to watch for, make sure that if your resort is a convention resort that they will be open when you arrive so you can get your package. We arrived at CR after the convention center closed and had to wait until the next day to get our goodies. Thankfully we didn't ship clothes that year!

Post Thanks / Like

We tried to ship some things home this year and had an awful time trying to do so. We ended up just packing everything in our suitcases and hoping for the best. This was not the shipping that you get if you purchase merchandise and send it home, we've done that with figurines and it has always worked out well. However, if you do that type of shipping it can only be WDW purchased merchandise AND you must have the receipt for all things you are shipping (no dirty clothes etc). This was strictly FedEx where they don't care what you are shipping. We got a box from the General Store at WL and then DH went down after we had it all packed and tried to ship. Apparently FedEx did not think our billing address on our credit card matched what they electronically found for us (it does match our home address so not sure what there issue is) , so they would not accept our package. According to the very nice and very patient CM (who helped my DH try to straighten this out for about an hour), this happens ALL the time. You cannot pay cash for the transaction at WL. So, we had 2 options: pack and send the stuff in our suitcase or go to the CR and their convention center has a way to do the cash transaction. Going to CR was just too much wasted time on our last day, so it went via suitcase. We were frustrated and likely won't try to do shipping again unless it is an item we just purchased.
    POFQ 09/2013, 09/2014, 09/2015
    WL 09/2011, 09/2012
    POR 09/2010, 09/2009, 09/2008, 05/2007, 05/2006, 05/2004,
    AKL 05/2003
    POR 05/2001, 10/98
    Next POP 9/2016
    All Star Sports 09/95
    Honeymoon Dixie Landings Aug 1994
    1978 first visit to Magic Kingdom

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: