Quantcast 'Nemo,' 'Mermaid,' 'Beast' and 'Monsters' go 3-D

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default 'Nemo,' 'Mermaid,' 'Beast' and 'Monsters' go 3-D

'Nemo,' 'Mermaid,' 'Beast' and 'Monsters' go 3-D

LOS ANGELES (AP) — "Finding Nemo," ''The Little Mermaid" and two other animated Walt Disney tales are following "The Lion King" into 3-D mode on the big-screen.

Disney announced Tuesday that the 3-D reissues will begin Jan. 13 with 1991's "Beauty and the Beast," the first animated feature ever nominated for best picture at the Academy Awards.

The studio will follow with 3-D re-releases of 2003's "Finding Nemo" on Sept. 14 of next year, 2001's "Monsters, Inc." on Jan. 18, 2013, and 1989's "The Little Mermaid" on Sept. 13, 2013. "Monsters University," a 3-D prequel to "Monsters Inc.," comes out June 21, 2013.

Disney's 1994 hit "The Lion King" far exceeded the studio's expectations in a 3-D theatrical reissue, pulling in $80 million domestically since debuting Sept. 16.

So where's the Aladdin love?

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Didn't Beast just come out on BluRay 3D?

I think Disney might be shooting themselves in the foot on that one. They didn't fare too well when they released Beast on DVD, I rmeember working in TDS at the time and we sent back BOXES that they never sold. If I recall a lot of people had just bought it on VHS and were unwilling to pay for another format.

Something tells me this is going to happen again. If people get it on bluray before it hits the theaters again, they won't go.

Nemo/Monsters are another story, but Monsters is already available in bluray as well.

Nemo should look great in HD. I've got a high def TV rip on my home theater that looks great, can't wait until I can get it without all the compression that happens during the distribution (cable/satellite all compress the video something awful)

Post Thanks / Like

Funny, all the Twitter feedback after I posted this has been negative, quality being the main issue.

Post Thanks / Like

Theatrical versions, or bluray... Lion King looks awesome, but it looked good on DVD to me.

I wasn't a real advocate for Bluray during the HD wars, but if bluray is the winning format, I guess I'll need to deal with it. There's no denying the quality it's capable of is pretty darn good.

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of 3D. I don't get it to be honest. I think disney would be better off putting money into new movies .
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

I was one of the Tweets that was negative.

I have NEVER walked out a movie before, Disney or otherwise, but we left Lion King after less than 20 minutes.

The 3D conversion was HORRIBLE! All of the items that were in the foreground were translucent, you could see the background through the 3D image. It was also blurry for some reason.

I talked to the manager at the theater and he said they had gotten complaints already, and that there was nothing wrong with their equipment.

We are excited to pick up the Blue Ray version, but we are pretty much done with 3D, unless it was filmed or produced as 3D from the get go...

Post Thanks / Like

I think disney would be better off putting money into new movies
    I would argue they would be much better off going forward with the 3D re-releases. The Lion King 3D has made the company $80 million, and that's just theatrical sales - doesn't include the Bluray release or merchandise sales resurgences. They can't spend more than hundreds of thousands of dollars for the 3D remastering. Money right in the pocket.

And I know my butt will be in the seat for the next 3D re-release!
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, I'm not interested in 3D. No plans to go that way. The Lion Kong looks great in HD, as does BatB.

Won't go back to a theater to see them. 3D or 2D

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Yeah, I'm not interested in 3D. No plans to go that way. The Lion Kong looks great in HD, as does BatB.

Won't go back to a theater to see them. 3D or 2D
    Yeah, and my age might have something to do with me wanting to go. I was 6 when BatB came out. I remember loving it, but never got to really enjoy it in theaters because I was so young. I can't wait for the chance to see it in theaters, again, 2D or 3D.
    AKA Courtney

"To all that come to this happy place: welcome...Here age relives fond memories of the past, and here youth may savor the challenge and promise of the future.."

Most Recent Trips:
    September 2007 - Pop Century
    September 2011 - Pop Century
    January 2012 - Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Rethinking this, I just wish they'd offer a 2D choice as well. Um, but Aladdin of course.

Post Thanks / Like

Didn't they have a 2D choice of Lion King? I thought I remembered reading somewhere like 10% of the tickets on opening weekend were for the 2D version...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

I don't like the 3D movies at the theater either. They upcharge the tickets, even for the afternoon shows and then my kids always end up taking off their glasses and watching a blurry movie. They are little though, and they don't seem to enjoy 3D effects. I would happily take my daughter to see Little Mermaid in 2D though!

Post Thanks / Like

Our local theater had both 3D and 2D versions of The Lion King out. We aren't big fans of 3D here because most of my family wear glasses (only the females don't). Those that wear glasses have issues with the 3D glasses on top of their personal glasses.

I will not be taking my family to the 3D releases of any of these other movies. I probably won't even take my family to the 2D release as we have a better environment for movie watching at home. (Or 2 small movie theaters in town are VERY OLD.)
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

I guess I'm in the rare here but I loved Lion King in 3-D. But that was at my own home. I hope they bring out more Disney movies in 3-D. My thing is I already have all the ones they have released in dvd. I wont spend more money now to get it in 3-D unless I'm a huge fan of the movie. I want BatB in 3-D but I just bought it in Bluray. I am a HUGE fan of Aladdin and WANT that one in 3-D too.
    ~~Heather

Laughter is timeless
    Imagination has no age
    And dreams are forever

July 04-Honeymoon
    May 05-Bought Fairfield Timeshare on Disney Property
    Sept/Oct 05-Weekend Trip
    Oct 06-Baby's first trip

2008-Disneyland Premium Annual Passholder!

Post Thanks / Like

BatB was just released in BluRay 3D yesterday. Will set you back another $30+ if you go through Amazon.

Post Thanks / Like

Ariel in 3D? You'll never get me out of the holodeck now!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

3-D doesn't really do much for me except for the attractions that are 3-D at the parks. Other than that I'm perfectly content watching my Disney movies on my 50inch T.V.
    "When you wish upon a star..."

Trips to Walt Disney World: Way too many to count!

Next trip: February 7th-10th 2012 @ Pop Century

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    Ariel in 3D? You'll never get me out of the holodeck now!
    love me some Ariel!
    Too many trips to keep track of now! Vacation WDW twice a year so any questions ask freely ☺️

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: