Quantcast Changes to ECV and Wheel-chair queues at Parks bussing areas

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Changes to ECV and Wheel-chair queues at Parks bussing areas

I just returned from a stay on the 1st of October. I just wanted to pass on some of the changes I observed to others.

At the parks they have taken down the wheel-chair symbol signs at the queueing areas for the busses. Thus allowing mom and me to enter the line like the other ambulatory guests. I applaud this move. One of my gripes about Disney is the fact I have always been uncomfortable with the feeling of being forced into special treatment with the busses. I understand the law forces the ECVs and wheel-chairs to be loaded first. No problem with that. I had the problem with being given a separate line and first to board when others have been waiting longer and if I had been in the regular line I would have had to wait for a second bus to load.

Although I did not have a problem with the new procedure. Other guests did:
    One family seeing that I was waiting in the queue for the bus and made it to the loading area and would have to wait for another bus when they and other guests had to pass me, got angry and very vocal with the bus driver on my behalf.

Several families refused to load ahead of me and waited with me for the next bus.

While waiting in line, I was asked by the other guests to move to the front of the line to make sure I would get loaded first.

This was quite the opposite of the attitudes I have experienced when having a separate queue to enter.

Disney seems to be working on a fair solution to all guests. I wish them luck and thank them for trying.

As for the Resort queues; I did not notice any changes.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Sean,

When we were there in August, they were working on the MK queues. It worked out ok for us as well. Half the time they would just load my ECV from the old spot unless it was really crowded. They I would go through the line.

I heard from another forum they are making wheelchairs take off their backpacks, even if attached. Did you find this to be true or see anyone having to remove a secured backpack? I am on an ECV and have my backpack attached to the backrest. Hard to just take it off.

I am already getting anxoius about this and my trip isn't until October 2012

One question I have is what happens when the bus is already being loaded and an ECV comes to the front of the line for thier turn.... do they get loaded on that bus or have to wait for another????
    Marci

Many visits. Live 20 minutes from the parks.
    Work at Universal Studios in Diagon Alley. Ollivanders/ wand magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    I heard from another forum they are making wheelchairs take off their backpacks, even if attached. Did you find this to be true or see anyone having to remove a secured backpack? I am on an ECV and have my backpack attached to the backrest. Hard to just take it off.

One question I have is what happens when the bus is already being loaded and an ECV comes to the front of the line for thier turn.... do they get loaded on that bus or have to wait for another????
    I had a backpack on mom's wheelchair and I was never asked to remove it. The only time I had to take it off was at bag checks to enter a park.

I had to wait for the next bus after making it to the front of the line. No worries. I am never in a hurry and always meet interesting people in the lines to chat with.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks... good to know. I attach my (see through mesh) backpack with the straps from it. It is not easy to just take it off and on. For security, they just look right through it or Jessica will open it up for them to look into. No problems there.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

I suppose there is no ideal solution. I have seen bus drivers miss those in chairs on several occasions (when they were waiting in the designated spot). I recall alerting a bus driver that someone with a chair was waiting to board whereupon the driver would immediately stop the boarding process and load the chair. I also witnessed many guests in line who seem outraged that a chair could appear 2 minutes before the bus did and be loaded first - never did understand that attitude as I always figured "there but for the grace of.." and it could be a family member or me who had need of the chair.

I'm glad to hear that guests are self-monitoring and moving chairs towards the front of the regular queue lines as it does seem a bit unfair to get to the front and then have to wait for another bus. I suppose a driver who sees a chair in the regular line and knows that the chair "could" make it on for that bus' capacity could select the chair out of the line and load it before loading the rest of the passengers - similar to cast members who select out a party of "2" or "1" from the ride queues to fill up a car.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney4us2 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    I had to wait for the next bus after making it to the front of the line. No worries. I am never in a hurry and always meet interesting people in the lines to chat with.
    Oh, this is NOT going to be good for our trip starting Sunday. So, they could make an ECV person wait longer for a bus if the bus is already say 3/4 loaded and a wheelchair/ECV is next in line? Well, I need to remember to ask Apple Scooters on how to break down the ECV to fit in the rental car trunk, because I see us driving to the parks (we drove to the parks when we were using Mom's wheelchair).
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

This is a very interesting thread. I hope Disney gets this worked out for the better and not worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    I understand the law forces the ECVs and wheel-chairs to be loaded first.
    Nothing but Disney's own policy forces them to load wheelchairs first. Wheelchairs get loaded onto a full bus all the time, whether it be the 2nd or 3rd stop at the All-Stars or at many of the Deluxe Resorts that shares buses, they do not disembark anyone in order to load a wheel chair in those instances.

Loading wheelchair's first is certainly safer because there are plenty of guests and drivers that do not have a clue how to operate an ECV and I am sure Disney lowers the chance that someone already on the bus gets hurt by loading ECV onto an empty bus as often as they can.
    Disney Dream May 2019, WDW Dec 2019

18 Oct ASMv
    16 (APs) Jan POR, Feb CSR, April ASMv, June BC, Oct Pop & Cabins, Dec ASMv & AKL & Pop, Jan '17 POFQ (10k!)
    15 May Pop&CBR pirates
    13 Oct ASMu&AoA
    10 (APs) June CR, Oct AKL&Pop, Dec Pop
    07 March ASMv
    04 June POR
    94 June Onsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Oh, this is NOT going to be good for our trip starting Sunday. So, they could make an ECV person wait longer for a bus if the bus is already say 3/4 loaded and a wheelchair/ECV is next in line? Well, I need to remember to ask Apple Scooters on how to break down the ECV to fit in the rental car trunk, because I see us driving to the parks (we drove to the parks when we were using Mom's wheelchair).
    The ECV's, smaller ones are easy to break down. I have one that breaks down into 4 pieces. The seat comes off, then the battery, The front tiller platform comes apart at the back wheel motor. I can fit it all into the trunk area of my car, except for the seat. I have a Nissan Versa hatchback. I could fit the seat in the back if I didn't want the cargo cover on. If you have a mid size car, you will be fine.

I rented from Apple and had a larger ECV with them. It did not break down to fit into a car (I used the busses). They also have the smaller ones like I have.

Don't worry and have a great trip.
    Marci

Post Thanks / Like

IT's an interesting collision between Florida state law and Disney trying to do right by its patrons. [EDIT: I might be wrong about the law.]

To the former, I understand why the law requires ECV's and such to be loaded first - it requires the bus to lower the lift, takes extra space inside, and there's risk of injury to other bus patrons if you don't know they require a bit of swing room to get in place and secured. This is also why they won't load an ECV if regular patrons are already on the bus.

To the latter, it feels like no good solution really. One possible idea (but would require extra CMs) is to have everyone (ambulatory and non-ambulatory) wait in the same line, and have a CM count off heads. The capacities of the buses should be known ahead of time, so you can "prep" the next full load. Once you have enough heads, you pull out the ECV's and load them first, then everyone else, and then everyone who was in line for that next bus gets on.

Problems with this approach:

1) If you have too many ECV's for the next bus, they'll have to wait. Not much different than the current situation though.

2) Could be troublesome to pull out the ECV's from the middle of the line.

3) All the extra CM's required to pull this off - it's not really economical for Disney during slow times, or at the resorts for example.

I'm all for having everyone wait in the same line (that's only fair to everyone) but coming up with a solution that pleases everyone is very, very hard.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Good for Disney! I have always been very uncomfortable just merrily going to the front of the line when others have been waiting. And as for having to wait for another bus, I will happily do so for all the times that others have had to catch the next bus because of me. In the long run, I'm at Disney and I'm one happy camper that I have the ability to be able do that.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Don't misunderstand, I do not mind waiting in the regular line. I just see where the bus driver isn't going to see he has a wheelchair person in line who would obviously make it on the bus and load them first. I see this scenario happening. There are 20-30 people in line, two being my Mom and I. We are 17th in line. We will obviously make it on the bus, but if the driver does not notice and they get to Mom and he/she says "oh did not see you there, but the bus is already partially loaded and you have to wait for the next bus". Either my Mom, sister or I is going to be angry. The first time this happens, we will be back to driving to the parks and put the wheelchair in the trunk and the ECV rental will be a waste of money !
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

As a PP wrote, loading ECV/WC's first, is a Disney operational procedure and it's done for safety reasons. Safety trumps ADA. If there are people on the bus, it's up to the driver to determine if it can be done safely and it doesn't have to be a full bus. If all the seats are occupied, drivers will not ask seated guests to give up their seats so that a scooter can be loaded. They'll have to wait for a bus that can take it and it might not be the next one.

As for bags hanging on the back, WDW Bus Transportation recently authorized drivers to request that bags be be removed in order to have clear access during the securing procedure. Medical devices and non removeable bags are exempt.
    If you refuse, and depending on the driver, there is a chance they may not board you. Most drivers will request it, but not all.
    As 100% of the drivers dispise loading scooters anyway, this change makes it a little less annoying.

Oversized scooters have been targeted as well.
    The template on the ground at the resorts does not just mark the waiting location for ECV/WCs it's also a maximum size template. If a scooter does not fit within the template, you may be out of luck. The scooter rental companies are aware of this.

Drivers now will also be more insistant on people not remaining on the scooter. Only guests who cannot transfer will be allowed to stay on the scooter. Again, it's for safety concerns. Scooters have tipped over even when strapped down.
    There is a new securing system being implemented, but it's only on a few buses right now.

The max number of people accompaning the person on the scooter is also being enforced by most drivers.

Is Disney targeting scooters users, yes. It is one of the biggest, if not the biggest generators of complaints. The numbers are increasing and so are the complaints both from guests and the CMs that deal with scooters. Injuries have and do occur at the attractions and on WDW transportation.

Post Thanks / Like

I feel I should add that I was at the parks 7 days and park hopped at least once a day. I would say that I used the busses from the parks, no less than 12 times. Only twice did I have to wait for another bus after a bus I could have loaded if mom was ambulatory.

At that rate it will take me years to pay off all of the times I was given front of the line access at park closing when others had to wait at least 2 busses.

I will return to Disney this December and I am sure they will have worked out some of the kinks by then. I know going into a trip to WDW with mom that things will take longer. Bag check is a nightmare for anyone unlucky enough to get in line behind me. Loading and unloading from rides takes longer. Getting through crowds takes longer and can be frustrating. Heck, just ordering at a CS restaurant with a wheelchair is a challenge.

Having to wait one more bus to be treated "normal" is a price I am happy to pay.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

So, let me get this straight....I will be on ECV and using buses to Value Resort and the rules now, is get in line with every1 else?. I don't mind this @ all, always felt like I was getting the evil eye from ppl in line and here I come along and get loaded 1st or the loading was haulted for me to load OR is a just wait and see @ the bus stop? I want to make sure I follow procedures. Hate to rock the boat in any way. I guess this will be all straight by Dec/2012, I will continue ckg this to make sure, afterall, Intercot has the best info God bless,
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Mary,

I arrive at Saratoga Springs on Sunday. I'll let everyone know what I experience with my Mom. From what I am reading, this is only happening at the park bus stops and not resorts, though it could differ depending on resort.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Marymouse2003 View Post
    I guess this will be all straight by Dec/2012
    The new procedures & policies were implemented last Oct, so they're pretty much straightened out. It's now a matter of informing guests.

From what I am reading, this is only happening at the park bus stops and not resorts
    That's true. But even at the parks, common sense dictates that if there are only a few people in line, don't bother getting in line with the scooter. The bus will be empty and you know that you'll get on, so no point weaving thru the que with a scooter.
    It also helps the driver if they can see the scooter as they pull up.

At the resorts, make sure you're in the box before the bus pulls up because boarding will take place and will not be stopped if you show up later. You'll be loaded after boarding is complete if the driver determines that it can be done safely.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddie View Post
    That's true. But even at the parks, common sense dictates that if there are only a few people in line, don't bother getting in line with the scooter. The bus will be empty and you know that you'll get on, so no point weaving thru the que with a scooter.
    It also helps the driver if they can see the scooter as they pull up.
    This is usually not an issue, but we are staying at SSR this time, which is solely bus transportation, so I'm anticipating longer bus queues.

Quote Originally Posted by buddie View Post
    At the resorts, make sure you're in the box before the bus pulls up because boarding will take place and will not be stopped if you show up later. You'll be loaded after boarding is complete if the driver determines that it can be done safely.
    So this is no different than before. All of us in my family are smart enough to know that Mom is not getting on a bus which is already loading. We run by a 20 minute rule. We should not have to wait more than 20 minutes for a bus to show up. As I request the Grandstand at SSR, which I think is still the first bus stop, we hopefully should not have too many issues. I'll be reporting back with our experience.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

but we are staying at SSR this time, so I'm anticipating longer bus queues.
    You shouldn't have long lines as SSR & OKW are two of the least busiest bus load zones.

We should not have to wait more than 20 minutes for a bus to show up.
    While 20 minutes is the goal, it's not uncomman for waits to exceed 20 minutes at certain times to certain resorts.
    As the announcement says on the bus, "approximately 20 minutes".

As I request the Grandstand at SSR, which I think is still the first bus stop, we hopefully should not have too many issues.
    The Grandstand is the first stop except to DTD after the AM rush, then it's the second stop. It doesn't matter during the AM peak times because buses can be sent to any stop at any time as during those times the Grandstand & The Springs bus stops are monitored by the transportation person with the clip board.

Post Thanks / Like

Just reserved a scooter this morning for my DH. We will be arriving in 2 wks. (OKW) so I am glad to get this information. I guess I am a little baffled regarding the safety issue especially with the scooters. I know from personal experience (I had to use one last Oct. as I was recovering from a broken ankle) that loading is not always an easy process. I only used the bus 2 times while I was there because of this. We were staying at the BWVs and when I wanted to go to the MK I just went through Epcot and took the monorail.

Waiting in the regular line is not a problem but I can see where loading particularly with other passengers already on the bus might be a safety issue. Wheelchairs, not so much, just ECVs.

Thanks, Hammer, I'll be anxiously awaiting your report.

As an aside, I have never minded wheelchairs & ECVs boarding before me and I think I am in the majority with this thinking but what I did mind was when they boarded with more than a few family members. I am sure Disney will get it all figured out!
    [COLOR=DarkRed]Paula[/

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: