Quantcast Changes to ECV and Wheel-chair queues at Parks bussing areas - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Checkers View Post
    Just reserved a scooter this morning for my DH.
    I would confirm that it complies with the latest WDW size restrictions so that you have no issues at all.
    The main scooter that has a size problem is called "The Dream", but there are one or two others.

I guess I am a little baffled regarding the safety issue especially with the scooters.
    An example on why stricter procedures regarding scooters, not WC, were implemented is when last year a scooter rider refused to transfer to a seat even though they could and while the bus driver was strapping the scooter down, it backed up over his hand that was resting on the floor. It was an oversized scooter and it did crush his hand requiring substantial surgery to regain use of of it, but it will never be 100% again.
    Drivers being squeezed between the scooter and the wall behind it was happening as well. Now drivers almost insist that people remove the key and transfer to a seat before strapping it down.
    The fact is that the vast majority of people renting scooters have zero experience driving that scooter. It's scary sometimes how bad they are.

Wheelchairs, not so much, just ECVs.
    That is absolutely correct.

what I did mind was when they boarded with more than a few family members.
    Couldn't agree with you more.
    Other passengers do complain about that.
    Some families, not many, do refrain from boarding with the scooter rider and get in line.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks all and Hammer have a great time . I too will be awaiting your report. Thanks again!
    Mary

Post Thanks / Like

I truthfully do not intend to derail this thread, but bus loading issues/passenger complaints about stuff is one of the primary reasons I like to drive to Disney and have my own car. Eliminates this issue completely.

I realize that's not an option for some ECV patrons, but for those of us that have the option and don't want to deal with the hassle of the buses, it's a godsend.
    Early 1980's sometime - Offsite
    ... large hazy period ...
    01/99 - AS Music
    01/01 - AS Movies
    01/02 - AS Sports/AKL
    09/02 - Disneyland PARIS
    01/03 - Contemporary
    04/03 - Fort Wilderness
    01/04 - Offsite :(
    03/05 - CBR
    09/05 - Beach Club
    12/05 - OKW
    04/06 - OKW
    09/07 - CBR
    12/11 - PO:FQ

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I to avoid the bus system. Except for the MK the handicaped parking is much easier with my elecric wheelchair. Plus I keep a cooler with cold drinks for th ride back (root beer)

In the morning its never a problem. People starting the day all happy and ready to go. Its the return at night with all the grumpy tired people thats not so fun.

I hate the looks and coments some people make.
    One person complained I was loaded first on a bus to POP. My coment back was "but your very lucky to get off first. The guy ended up next to me on the bus and told me he never looked at it that way.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Renfairwedding View Post
    One person complained I was loaded first on a bus to POP.
    If having to wait for a Scooter to be loaded on a bus was a once in while occurrence, I don't think people would have a problem with it, but it's not.
    The number of scooters at WDW property is huge and most of them end up a bus a couple of times a day.
    Been to WDW thousands of times.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been saying this for quite sometime now that they should wait online. They should look in the line to see if there are any that will be included in that bus ride...if so they can board first while their family is still online. This way they are all on the same bus together doing it the correct way. I really hope this works out.
    We did have an incident when my son just turned one as we were already loaded and so packed when an ECV came up. The bus driver decided to load the ecv with us all on and the platform malfunctioned. It took us over 2 hours to get back to the hotel that night. We were trying to get back early as my son fell asleep and on the bus he was in my arms the entire time. I made my family wait for a 2nd bus as the first was full and knew I needed a seat. Then that happened and I was really upset. We drive now because of this but I hope they really work it out.
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Default As promised...

Here is a report of our experiences. Please note we only used the bus 4 times with my Mom. Most times we drove with Mom's wheelchair or it was just my sister and I on the bus. Mom was not crazy about using the ECV as this ECV was very different than ones she had previously used at other places, Mom uses a wheelchair for most everyday transportation and usually a walker around her house, though not currently due to a foot problem and her podiatrist does not want her putting pressure on her right foot.

• Only once was she asked if she wanted to transfer from the ECV or wheelchair on a bus. She said no, as she needs to hold on to something with both hands to walk. Drivers had no problem strapping her in and each verified that the straps were secure.
    • One bus driver made a point of saying that if someone tried to force someone to transfer, that would actually be violating the ADA.
    • Regarding the bus lines at the parks, the driver did miss my Mom in line and there was room for her on that bus. The driver was exceptionally apologetic and radioed for another bus alerting that there was a wheelchair. NOT ONE PERSON in that line let the driver know there was a wheelchair when the driver did not see us.

I have to say that many people we encountered were oblivious or just rude to people in ECVs or wheelchairs. I'm speaking of adults here, not children. I think that was the biggest problem. People are really quick to make judgements of if someone "needs" a wheelchair or ECV. Yes, there are some who rent and don't need them, but you really don't know that just because someone can get up and walk or even run a short distance. As an example, maybe the person has something like RA which allows for people to walk or run short distances but uses the wheelchair due to the extensive walking that could trigger an attack. You are not in someone's head and no one should have to wear a sign listing the reason for using an ECV or wheelchair.
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joannelet View Post
    We did have an incident when my son just turned one as we were already loaded and so packed when an ECV came up. The bus driver decided to load the ecv with us all on and the platform malfunctioned. It took us over 2 hours to get back to the hotel that night. We were trying to get back early as my son fell asleep and on the bus he was in my arms the entire time. I made my family wait for a 2nd bus as the first was full and knew I needed a seat. Then that happened and I was really upset. We drive now because of this but I hope they really work it out.
    I think the bus driver was negligent in making the whole bus wait while they fixed the bus malfunction. He should have called for another bus over the radio and transferred everyone to the new bus.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post
    Only once was she asked if she wanted to transfer from the ECV or wheelchair on a bus.
    Those drivers that didn't ask if your mom could transfer to a seat need to be retrained. And be assured, an inquiry will be made to Bus Training to insure that drivers are all on the same page. Only if the person is not able to transfer to a seat should they to stay in the scooter. It's for their own safety.
    Why else would Disney be spending many thousands of dollars on each bus by replacing all of the current ECV securing systems with, what they believe to be a better system, on all 300 buses?

The driver that told you that Disney would be in violation of the ADA if they forced you to transfer was way out of line. Disney does not force anyone to transfer, it's a request. If someone doesn't want to, fine, end of discussion.

As I posted earlier, scooters have been known to tip over even when strapped down and that's why the latest driver training stresses that drivers make sure that a person can't transfer. Drivers are supposed to explain that for safety reasons, and only if they are able to, they should transfer, but there is no forcing involved.

I have to say that many people we encountered were oblivious or just rude to people in ECVs or wheelchairs.
    Scooters and not wheelchairs seem to annoy guests to no end.

I think the bus driver was negligent in making the whole bus wait while they fixed the bus malfunction. He should have called for another bus over the radio and transferred everyone to the new bus.
    Drivers do not decide what to do when an unusual problem arises. They are supposed to call it in and get instructions on how to proceed. It's someone higher up that decides what to do. The driver simply carries out whatever the instructions are.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buddie View Post
    The driver that told you that Disney would be in violation of the ADA if they forced you to transfer was way out of line. Disney does not force anyone to transfer, it's a request. If someone doesn't want to, fine, end of discussion.
    Actually, he was the best driver we had all week and we are sending in a letter commending him. I would not want him to change a thing. I want more drivers like him at WDW. What he said was absolutely correct. Some, who do not know all the details of ADA would probably transferred, even when it obviously a hardship to do so. I got the impression from your posts that my mother would be hassled to transfer out of her seat. Thankfully she wasn't.

Scooters and not wheelchairs seem to annoy guests to no end.
    While that may be the reason, it does not excuse peoples' behavior. I'm annoyed by the way a lot of people act in WDW and elsewhere, but I know we all need to live and let live and it is not my place to judge. No matter what WDW does, there is always going to be people who cheat the system. May not hurt for people to learn to do unto others as they would want to have done to you.

Drivers do not decide what to do when an unusual problem arises. They are supposed to call it in and get instructions on how to proceed. It's someone higher up that decides what to do. The driver simply carries out whatever the instructions are.
    If this driver did call in and bus was not dispatched, then I see that as a flaw in the system.
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I got the impression from your posts that my mother would be hassled to transfer out of her seat. T
    That's unfair and completely off base.
    You skipped over the part where I wrote that no one is forced to transfer. I repeat, it's requested and encouraged if they are willing. If they say no, that they can't or they don't want to, that's it. How in the world do you see that as hassling? No one is hassled, not even close to it.
    And again, it's done only for safety reasons, nothing more.

Post Thanks / Like

I said that was the impression I got from your posts. I apologize if that was not your intent.

We are obviously not going to agree on how this is handled as we are coming at it from 2 different angles. I was asked to report my experience from our trip and I did. There are going to be people on both sides of this issue. I think the best we can do is for everyone to practice tolerance and understanding and leave it at that. All anyone wants to do is enjoy WDW !
    Christine șoș

Post Thanks / Like

I said that was the impression I got from your posts. I apologize if that was not your intent.
    !
    No problem, and no, it was not my intent. We're on your side. Disney wants guests to be safe and are continually tweaking the system to achieve that.
    If the new ECV/WC securing system being phased in eliminates all chances of tipping over, then you may see the the transfer requests eliminated. But it's currently only in a few buses, so it's too early to tell.
    The problem is that with scooters the front straps are very low on the steering column where on WC, they're up higher closer to the center of gravity, and makes it much more secure.
    Just the other day a driver had a Hoveround type ECV with no attachment points. The only place to fasten the front hooks was around the very small front wheels. That is much too low. He expressed his concern to the guest. As the guest was not able to transfer, the driver made sure that all corners were slow and very smooth and he continually was looking in the mirror to make sure the ECV was ok.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: