Quantcast Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Reveals New Details **UPDATE**

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Reveals New Details **UPDATE**

Disney’s Art of Animation Resort Reveals New Details on Jobs, Opening Dates and Icon

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla., Oct. 10, 2011 – The first wing of the new Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will open to Guests on May 31, 2012, as construction on the 25th resort hotel at Walt Disney World continues on schedule.

In size and scope, the construction of Disney’s Art of Animation Resort is a major project at Walt Disney World Resort and has created up to 800 construction jobs. Once open in 2012, Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will also create 750 ongoing resort hotel jobs.

At a media gathering today, Walt Disney Imagineering and Walt Disney World Resort Operations released images of new icons arriving at the resort this fall and shared some of the details Guests will see when Disney’s Art of Animation opens next year. For example, Guests exploring The Lion King courtyard will see characters from the film, such as the hyenas and the evil Scar, through the eyes of Simba and in the same size and scale as the young cub would experience them.

“Here at Disney, we are in the Guest experience business,” said Kevin Myers, vice president of resort operations for Walt Disney World Resort. “When we develop a new resort hotel, we draw on Guest feedback about our parks, entertainment, special events and every aspect of Walt Disney Parks and Resorts to provide a resort hotel experience that only Disney can deliver.”

Examples of enhancements based on Guest feedback will be evident at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort in the food-and-beverage and recreation offerings. The dining area will feature items such as fresh smoothies, hand-scooped gelato and Mongolian barbecue. The resort also will feature the largest swimming pool outside of Disney’s water parks, as well as an extensive children’s water play area at the larger-than-life icons for the Finding Nemo wings of the resort.

Located adjacent to Disney’s Pop Century Resort, the new resort will include 1,120 family suites in The Lion King, Cars and Finding Nemo wings, and 864 themed rooms in The Little Mermaid wings. Suites will feature both a living room and bedroom, offering added space for families.

The family suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will fit into the “value” category of lodging, with nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort.

The phased opening of the resort will begin when the Finding Nemo wing opens May 31, 2012. Next, the Cars wing of the resort will open near the end of July. The Lion King suites will open a short time later in September, and The Little Mermaid value rooms will open by the end of next year.

Some fun facts about Disney’s Art of Animation Resort -

• With an area of 11,859 square feet, the feature pool at the Finding Nemo wing of the resort will be the largest swimming pool at Walt Disney World Resort outside of the water parks.

• The new resort hotel will feature 9,400 doors, which if stacked flat would be taller than the Empire State Building.

• The 227,000 lineal feet of carpet being used on the project would be enough carpet to stretch from Orlando to the Kennedy Space Center in Titusville.
    ¨¨*:•

"Here You Leave Today and Enter the World of Yesterday, Tomorrow and Fantasy!"

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Look forward to its opening and a new place to bed down for the night on the lower end of the price range. The factoids are interesting especially the following one

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    • With an area of 11,859 square feet, the feature pool at the Finding Nemo wing of the resort will be the largest swimming pool at Walt Disney World Resort outside of the water parks.
    However, I am a bit spacially challenged and have a hard visualizing how big that is...anyone have any idea as to which pool is second largest pool at WDW (and how big it is) to help me get an understanding of its relative size.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

with nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort
    Hmmm... I still don't find the AAA rate of $400 (including tax) to be much of a value - that's what I paid for one night in June... and then promptly canceled because I just can't pay that for one night and not be staying at a deluxe!

From the images in the video clip it looked like the new pool will be zero entry... There was a lighter area at one end, making it seem like it was a gentle slope entry. That would be great!

I wonder if we'll be able to legitimately pool hop here with our DVC membership perks? Hmmmm....
    Maggie
    DVC Member @ OKW & BCV

Mamma to DD's E and C
    CR 80
    POLY 84
    FW 91
    POFQ 04~Last trip w/Gramps
    POP 07~E's 1st Trip
    GF & SOG 08~(Not My)Disney Wedding
    POFQ 08~BIG Family Vacation
    POP 09~Just the Girls
    BCV 10~1 Night @WDW
    OKW GV 11~C's 1st Trip
    BLT/OKW 12~Surprise!

2014 OKW/?

Post Thanks / Like

I am really really really excited. I usually stay in a deluxe or moderate but plan on staying at this hotel on my next trip in June of 2012!

The pool size alone has me thinking my DF and I might have to make it a priority to hang out there.

K. White

The magic is within all of us!

WDW Off Site 1978, 1981, 1986, 2005, 2006
    Disneyland- 1980, 1984, 1987
    WL- 6/2008
    Coronado Springs- 6/2009
    PO- Riverside- 6/2010
    AS Music- Solo, 40th Birthday March 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Two points:
    1. I'm not sure what they're talking about with the "nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort", because when I checked online the rooms were pricing out much closer to a deluxe than a value. $380 a night or so, if memory serves. We actually talked about it on one of the podcasts.
    2. I find it very hard to believe that guests surveys implied that people want more Mongolian Beef.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post

However, I am a bit spacially challenged and have a hard visualizing how big that is...anyone have any idea as to which pool is second largest pool at WDW (and how big it is) to help me get an understanding of its relative size.
    I can't tell you which is the second largest pool. But, I can try to help with the spacial challenge.

The averge room size for Pop Century it 240 sq. feet. that would mean you could put about 49 rooms in the pool.

The average size of the Coronado Springs rooms is 314 sq. feet or about 38 rooms in the pool.

The average size for the Beach Club rooms is 400 sq. feet or about 30 rooms in the pool.

The average U.S. home is about 2000 sq. feet or about 6 homes in the pool.

Just think big!
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    Two points:
    1. I find it very hard to believe that guests surveys implied that people want more Mongolian Beef.
    Really? Everyone I know comes to me for Disney planning advice and without exception I'm asked for the best Mongolian Beef Restaurant on property. Now, I have an answer for them...

Post Thanks / Like

Two points:
    1. I'm not sure what they're talking about with the "nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort", because when I checked online the rooms were pricing out much closer to a deluxe than a value. $380 a night or so, if memory serves. We actually talked about it on one of the podcasts.
    2. I find it very hard to believe that guests surveys implied that people want more Mongolian Beef.
    The prices they were talking about were for the standard single rooms - purported to be the same cost as the Pop Century standard rooms ($92 in value season.) The price for the Family Suites is much greater (the $380, or so, per night you quoted.) I believe that this is higher than the Family Suites at the All Stars, but I haven't seen a comparison of size and amenities to do an 'apples to apples' comparison of 'value for the money.'

LOL at the Mongolian Beef comment!!!!

There is a video on youtube from Imagineering with an overview and Family Suite layout...Looks pretty impressive for a Value Resort.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Good to hear. Can't wait to start hearing reviews and seeing pictures of it and talk about the types of eateries it has. And then eventually see it for myself.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    The prices they were talking about were for the standard single rooms
    Mmmm ... read again ... it says:

Quote Originally Posted by Disney
    The family suites and rooms at Disney’s Art of Animation Resort will fit into the “value” category of lodging, with nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Two points:
    Not Mongolian BEEF. Mongolian BBQ. Totally different thing.

I actually think that's a good addition. It's like those places in the malls, where you fill up a bowl with veggies, noodles, and meat (raw), choose a sauce, and then the chef takes it and dumps it onto a huge grill and flash stir-fries it. I think it's a good addition. It's a healthy, customizable meal. However, I can only imagine the lines for such a thing at a Value resort food court....
    As for the pool, great, it will be a huge pool. Without a slide, though, what's the big deal?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carol View Post
    Um, Stormalong Bay is a total of 35,000 square feet. Maybe because it's divided into three separate pools, they don't count it as "the biggest pool", but this basically means that the pool at Art of Animation will be the size of about one of the pools at Stormalong Bay.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    I can't tell you which is the second largest pool. But, I can try to help with the spacial challenge.

The averge room size for Pop Century it 240 sq. feet. that would mean you could put about 49 rooms in the pool........

.....Just think big!
    thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Um, Stormalong Bay is a total of 35,000 square feet. Maybe because it's divided into three separate pools, they don't count it as "the biggest pool", but this basically means that the pool at Art of Animation will be the size of about one of the pools at Stormalong Bay.
    thanks again.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

As cute as this resort sounds I don't see us ever staying here. First of all we are a family of 4. If I'm going to dish out enough money to stay in one of their family suites I may as well just stay at a deluxe resort. Second of all we'd maybe stay in a regular room if we arrive a night early for a trip, but with 2 boys and the only regular rooms being Little Mermaid themed I don't even see us staying for one night.

As for the pool. My kids don't really care how large a pool is. What they really care about is how cool the slide is. Without a slide it won't matter one single bit how big the pool is. I guess this is just not a resort for us.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by buzznwoodysmom View Post
    As cute as this resort sounds I don't see us ever staying here. First of all we are a family of 4. If I'm going to dish out enough money to stay in one of their family suites I may as well just stay at a deluxe resort. Second of all we'd maybe stay in a regular room if we arrive a night early for a trip, but with 2 boys and the only regular rooms being Little Mermaid themed I don't even see us staying for one night.

As for the pool. My kids don't really care how large a pool is. What they really care about is how cool the slide is. Without a slide it won't matter one single bit how big the pool is. I guess this is just not a resort for us.
    We have the some of the same issues, we have a son and unless there is a little girl in our future, then i doubt we'll ever visit Art of Animation.

There's no need for us to get a suite and we arent staying in the little mermaid section.
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

Two points:

I'm not sure what they're talking about with the "nightly rates similar to Disney’s All-Star Resort and Disney’s Pop Century Resort", because when I checked online the rooms were pricing out much closer to a deluxe than a value. $380 a night or so, if memory serves. We actually talked about it on one of the podcasts.
    I assume (and yes I know what that can do), that that is in reference to the rooms, not suites. How much are the suites at ASMu?

Just because you're paranoid, doesn't mean they're NOT out to get you!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by big blue and hairy View Post
    I assume (and yes I know what that can do), that that is in reference to the rooms, not suites. How much are the suites at ASMu?

Went to the WDW Online site and checked on pricing for the regular rooms (Little Mermaid) and could only get pricing for a stay beginning Dec. 31, 2012 (go to Jan. 1, 2013 and it resets to current date) and found the following:

Mon, Dec 31 $ 179.00
    Tue, Jan 01 $ 179.00
    Wed, Jan 02 $ 96.00
    Thu, Jan 03 $ 117.00
    Fri, Jan 04 $ 117.00
    Sat, Jan 05 $ 117.00
    Sun, Jan 06 $ 96.00
    Mon, Jan 07 $ 96.00

Switched the setting to Pop Century and got the following:

Mon, Dec 31 $ 174.00
    Tue, Jan 01 $ 174.00
    Wed, Jan 02 $ 91.00
    Thu, Jan 03 $ 112.00
    Fri, Jan 04 $ 112.00
    Sat, Jan 05 $ 112.00
    Sun, Jan 06 $ 91.00
    Mon, Jan 07 $ 91.00

Over at All Stars Music, you get:

Mon, Dec 31 $ 169.00
    Tue, Jan 01 $ 169.00
    Wed, Jan 02 $ 86.00
    Thu, Jan 03 $ 107.00
    Fri, Jan 04 $ 107.00
    Sat, Jan 05 $ 107.00
    Sun, Jan 06 $ 86.00
    Mon, Jan 07 $ 86.00

Now, going back to AoA for Family Suites:

Mon, Dec 31 $ 425.00
    Tue, Jan 01 $ 425.00.
    Wed, Jan 02 $ 253.00
    Thu, Jan 03 $ 294.00
    Fri, Jan 04 $ 294.00
    Sat, Jan 05 $ 294.00
    Sun, Jan 06 $ 253.00
    Mon, Jan 07 $ 253.00

And, last but not least, Family Suites at All Stars Music:

Mon, Dec 31 $ 375.00
    Tue, Jan 01 $ 375.00
    Wed, Jan 02 $ 202.00
    Thu, Jan 03 $ 243.00
    Fri, Jan 04 $ 243.00
    Sat, Jan 05 $ 243.00
    Sun, Jan 06 $ 202.00
    Mon, Jan 07 $ 202.00

So, using this data, I see that the standard single room at AoA is right in line with Pop (+$5) and All Stars (+$10). I can justify this difference just in the newness of AoA.

On the other hand, the difference per night between the AoA Family Suites and All Stars Music Family Suites is pretty major. (Yes, I call $50/$51 per night major!!) I don't have any information on how to justify this difference.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

if It was just my fiancee & me we dont need a family suite. Id go for Lion King theme, but thats a fam. I guess she might b ok w Little Mermaid theme room.. If it is comparable for those rooms to Pop, then we would stay there because I do prefer Pop over Allstars. Have to see when we will go back after this trip in 2 wks though..Ill look across the lake and bridge while we are there and see what it looks like. I agree w the theming of the pool being more important than size
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

I find it very hard to believe that guests surveys implied that people want more Mongolian Beef. [/LIST]
    I love Mongolian Beef! I had it at Sunshine Seasons last trip, and I've actually made it at home.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darthmacho View Post
    I love Mongolian Beef! I had it at Sunshine Seasons last trip, and I've actually made it at home.
    As a previous poster mentioned, the press release referred to Mongolian BBQ which is a style of restaurant, and not a particular dish. It is really not "Mongolian" or "Barbecue", but that is the name of the restaurant/cooking style anyway.

From a popular online encyclopedia:

"At A Mongolian Barbecue restaurant, diners typically choose various ingredients from a buffet of thinly sliced raw meats (beef, pork, lamb, turkey, chicken, and/or shrimp) and vegetables (cabbage, tofu, sliced onion, cilantro, broccoli, mushrooms, pineapple, lychee, etc.) and load them onto a bowl or plate. These ingredients are given to the griddle operator who adds the diner's choice of sauce and transfers them to one section of the hot griddle. Oil and sometimes water may be added to ease cooking, and the ingredients are stirred occasionally.

"The ample size of the Mongolian barbecue griddle allows for several diners' food to be cooked simultaneously on different parts of the griddle. In many restaurants (primarily buffets) one dish will be cooked at a time, the operator walking around the outside of the grill once or twice moving the food while walking. When cooking is complete, the finished dish is scooped into a bowl and handed to the diner. Many Mongolian barbecue restaurants are "all-you-can-eat."
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Share This Thread On Social Media: