Quantcast WOW Universals IOA #1 in Local poll

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default WOW Universals IOA #1 in Local poll

I knew Harry was bringing people in to IOA but I would never have guessed the impact would be so large. This was in the Palm Beach Post this morning.

I haven't been to IOA since Harry has opened, I plan to but somehow I always end up back at Disney instead. We have Seasonal Annual passes for one thing which is a minor downside to having passes, it makes it more expense and so less likely that we will visit other Parks. Plus it just seems to be a very different experience, staying offsite is not magical. While the other Parks are done well it is very obvious that it is an Amusement Park, you can stand in one spot and see almost all the differently themed areas at one time.

Have you been? Are you surprised by the Poll or should I cancel Disney this weekend and go to IOA instead?

Andy

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

IOA has been ranked the #1 theme park in a lot of different publications/rankings the past few years and it's for a good reason, they've done an amazing job there.

It may not hold the 'magic' for us Disney fans but if the more objective observers keep coming up with the same answer there's probably something to it.

Ultimately it's up to us to go where we'll be happy though, no sense in going to IOA if we're going to spend the time thinking "I'd rather be at Disney" or vice versa.

Post Thanks / Like

IOA is THE best themed park in Central Florida, has been for a while. That's what happens when you lay off a number on your Imagineers and your competitor wants to spend some money.

Post Thanks / Like

DH just came back from IoA in September with DD. This was their first time to IoA solely for Harry Potter. DH called me about 2 1/2 hours later saying they were on their way to Disney. I was surprised to hear that they came and went so quickly. He said the rest of the park - there was no one around. WWoHP was crowded! He said they went and got DD a wand, but other than that, they didn't want to wait or it was a thrill ride. DH said that in his opinion, they didn't do the area justice. It could have been larger, not so tight and cramped. But he and DD are not thrill ride people so they didn't find much more to do there. I don't know if you're a thrill ride kind of person, but DH didn't think it was worth all the hype and money.
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

I liked Universal/IOA, but just for a short term.
    We had 3 day tickets in June, but did not go for day 3. This was 4 of 4 people. We had done it and that was it. We were all adult. 12-16 could probably go endlessly.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

We have visited both Universal parks, the first time in 2008 and the second in June this year. I was surprised at our first visit how much I enjoyed everything at Universal, and the Harry Potter area just added to our enjoyment this year.

We stayed one night at the Royal Pacific to take advantage of the Express Passes and the early entry to WWoHP, and we were VERY impressed with this resort. If it were on Disney property we would have a hard time choosing between it and the Poly.

As for future visits, I think our kids will miss Universal if we don't keep making those parks a part of our vacation.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think it's much of a suprise. Most locals have gone to WDW alot in the past and it doesn't evolve as much as DLR does. WDW is super crowded year round with tourists that drive us insane for the most part, while Universal is more of a local park with Busch Gardens and Sea World being the same way in a lesser part. It's even less of a surprise with Harry Potter still being fairly new...
    ŴĐŴ∫âňăŧĭć aka David ºoº

Post Thanks / Like

We are a family that's been going to WDW at least once or twice a year pretty much since our children were born. In the past we could not tear ourselves away from WDW to visit Universal. With the opening of Harry Potter we finally decided to make our way to IOA. My boys are HUGE Potter fans, have been watching the movies since they were little and have read all the books. That one visit got us hooked, at least on the Potter section of the park, we weren't as impressed with the rest of the park, but Potterland is more than enough to keep us coming back. Our first visit was in Oct. 2010, we returned to WDW in March of 2011, and the first thing on my kids' list was to go back to IOA. We are now headed back for Christmas and have opted for our first two nights at Hard Rock Hotel so that we can enjoy both parks, as well as get more Potterland! We will never feel the same about US and IOA as we do for WDW, there is a special place in our hearts for WDW, but I can honestly say that IOA/WWOHP will be a permanent fixture in our WDW trips, at least for the foreseeable future.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Not surprising to me. We love IOA and Universal Studios also. No, those parks are not a week long destination in themselves, like WDW is, but they have some of the best state-of-the-art them park attractions in the world, with Forbidden journey leading the way. We still love the magic of Disney the most, but our now teenage boys love the alternative. I'm into the big coasters and thrill rides too, although DW is not as much of a thrillseeker, she loves Spiderman, Mummy etc.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

That ranking is probably due to the incredible growth in park attendance IOA has experienced over the past year since Harry Potter opened. (I think I read that its somewhere in the neighborhood of 20%) That number is incredible and basically eats everyone else's lunch in terms of growth.
    Now. That doesn't mean they had the highest attendance by any means. That still goes to MK.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by coneheads View Post
    While the other Parks are done well it is very obvious that it is an Amusement Park, you can stand in one spot and see almost all the differently themed areas at one time.

I have to disagree with this.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

We have always visited both and taken any 'tours' we have to both as well.

I stay on site at WDW and love it, but that being said IOA & the Studios are a must for us. And BOYS finally have something to do!! Universal takes their theming so much farther than Disney does and they are a spectacular park that way. I was glad to hear that they got HP because I doubt Disney would have gone to the length of detail that US did. Yes it is small, but Hogsmeade is a small town.

WDW will have their chance to prove their worth with Avatar, so we'll see, IMO, the bar is pretty high . . . .
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    IOA is THE best themed park in Central Florida, has been for a while. That's what happens when you lay off a number on your Imagineers and your competitor wants to spend some money.
    The way things are going, I wouldn't be surprised if Universal Studios moves into the No. 2 slot within the next few years. Give Universal credit -- it is really making waves.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I think that when Disney fans give Universal half a chance and go in without the attitude that they can't possibly enjoy both Universal and Disney, they find that Universal has quality parks with both great theming and great rides.

The Studio's theme is exactly that of a "working studio" so that's why everything looks like you and walking on streets and around "warehouses". DHS carries the same theme, but doesn't carry this throughout the whole park (only a portion), so you have Tower of Terror and RR which maybe a little more interesting to look at than Universal's warehouses. But Universal actually carries the theme more completely than Disney does.

IOA has different themed areas just like the MK. Each area flows into the next just like the MK. I can't think of one attraction that is "out of place" in it's island at IOA. Example: You have Spiderman, Hulk, Dr Doom etc all together. At the Jurassic Park section you have the Jurassic Park ride, a Jurassic Park play area that has the gates, trees and plants that make you feel you are walking in the jungle, a flying dinosaur ride, jeeps from the movie along the walkways and a counter service that looks like the cafeteria in the movie. Downstairs they have dinosaurs "hatching" and other cool things.

My point is these are not Six Flags asmusement parks and yes they are worthy of being Disney competition.

We enjoy that competition because it should only make both operations try harder.

BTW I enjoy the Universal Studio more than IOA!
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post

BTW I enjoy the Studio more than IOA!
    I agree! I'm not sure why, maybe it has to do with fact that I felt that IOA was very crowded. Maybe there were lots more people at IOA, but the studios with the wide streets and areas really felt like you were walking around a movie studio. I also did not feel rushed at the Studios. At IOA, we were rushing from one ride to another and there were people everywhere. We rushed around so much that we actually never did anything in Suessland because we only used it to walk from one area of the park to another. I guess it's our fault ... rushing around in one but not the other ... but there was just something about the feel of IOA, a relaxed laid back feel, that I enjoyed more. Also, the theming of San Francisco to Amity, very well done ... beautiful (except for the carnival type hawkers with their bull horns and microphones ... ugh).

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    Also, the theming of San Francisco to Amity, very well done ... beautiful (except for the carnival type hawkers with their bull horns and microphones ... ugh).
    I have never been to San Francisco, are the games something that are really there or did Universal just throw them in?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I have never been to San Francisco, are the games something that are really there or did Universal just throw them in?
    Is it out of the San Francisco area and before Amity? It's definitely not something that is SF specific. Not sure if they just threw in an old time type of Boardwalk area in between the two? I remember the area being open air type of shops, food vendors, then the games. Now that I think of it, maybe it was just a transition area, but it seemed to flow nicely, the white-washed clapboard styling of the buildings were more of the Town of Amity.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Outside of the Wizarding World, I also prefer Universal to Islands of Adventure. Better attractions overall, I think, and I like the "working movie studio" theming.
    The poster formerly known as Disney_nut

Last Trip: 5/11 -- Swan

Next Trip: 10/11 -- Port Orleans - Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I think that when Disney fans give Universal half a chance and go in without the attitude that they can't possibly enjoy both Universal and Disney, they find that Universal has quality parks with both great theming and great rides.
    Just got back from our first "non-disney" trip to Orlando in ten years(we didn't even do a purple sign drive by)...and had a blast at IOA. Its blend of theming, genuine high-end thrill rides, and high-tech ride effects certainly rival just about anything that Disney offers up and the Potter ride is completely unparalleled.

IOA still doesn't beat the overall MK experience in our book (and I suspect the new enhancements to fantasy land will strengthen that view), but I can see why tweens, teens and twenty-somethings would prefer it for a day of fun.

As for Universal Studios...our reactions was to be completely underwhelmed...much of the park seemed out of date with movie tie ins that have slowly lost their appeal through the years. Jaws, ET, MIB and even the Terminator were great in their day, but they lack the timeless appeal of Disney films and have (IMHO) begun to feel rather tired.

Would we go back to IOA...in a heart beat....but Universal Studios is a completely other story.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    As for Universal Studios...our reactions was to be completely underwhelmed...much of the park seemed out of date with movie tie ins that have slowly lost their appeal through the years. Jaws, ET, MIB and even the Terminator were great in their day, but they lack the timeless appeal of Disney films and have (IMHO) begun to feel rather tired.
    I have to totally disagree with you here. lol. I would rather watch any of those movies before a Disney movie. I'm not interested in Disney movies at all. In fact, Twister is one of my favorite movies. I think my biggest disagreement is the fact that I feel that you really don't have to like those movies to enjoy the rides. I don't like Toy Story but enjoy riding Buzz Lightyear at the MK because it's fun. I didn't like the Haunted Mansion movie but love the Haunted mansion ride. POC... watched the first one and that was enough, but love the ride! It's just my opinion but I feel that Universal's attractions as a whole are just as enjoyable as Disney's (some even more so).

When it comes down to it, I am not a Disney fan, I am a Disney Theme Park fan. There is a difference. I don't care about Disney movies, Disney TV shows or even Disney Characters, but I do love the Disney Theme Parks and as long as the attractions are fun I don't care who the theme revolves around. My only "ties" to Disney are their theme parks and maybe that's why I can enjoy Universal so much.

BTW did you see the Monster Make-up Show? I feel that's one of the hidden gems in Universal.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: