Quantcast 2012 DVC Dues

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: 2012 DVC Dues

Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation 2012 DVC Dues

Got this info from a credible source. It shows the percentage increase for our dues for 2012. Not too happy about this. Why is it that BLT my home resort has the highest increase when this is also the newest DVC location. Its not like we have a lot to maintain unlike other locations. So I guess my payment will now increase by about $100. Ugh

Resort 2012 Dues Increase
    Animal Kingdom Villas $5.4356 +8.40%
    Aulani (Subsidized) $4.4794 +3.93%
    Aulani (non-Subsidized) $5.9607 +4.02%
    Bay Lake Tower $4.2219 +8.41%
    Beach Club Villas $5.5043 +4.34%
    BoardWalk Villas $5.6160 +2.95%
    Grand Californian $4.3255 +6.28%
    Hilton Head $5.9290 +4.47%
    Old Key West $5.2035 +4.44%
    Saratoga Springs $4.7309 +4.84%
    Vero Beach $7.1163 +5.02%
    Wilderness Lodge $5.6096 +4.99%
    DVC Member as of 11/09 BLT!!
    1992 Dolphin Resort
    1995 stayed off-site
    2002 All-Star Movies Resort
    2007 (Oct) Port Orleans French Quarter
    2008 (Nov )1 night at POP
    2008 (Nov) Old Key West Resort
    2011 (Jan) BLT 2 room suite!!!
    2011 (Oct/Nov) BLT 1 bedroom suite
    2012 (Oct) BLT 2 room suite :-)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool

I wonder if BLT and AKV had the same sort of issue that Aulani did and no one's telling? That's a huge increase based on historical rates. They typically only go up between 4%-5%.

Also notice that the three newest properties (BLT, AKV, and VGC) all have higher than normal rate hikes. Makes you wonder if the same accounting genius is responsible.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It may be an optimistic accountant. Even with all their experience, actual costs will vary. Or they did not sell .
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

As I was reading over the chart my thoughts were very similar to Ian's. I'm also just wondering what the next few years might bring to all DVC dues if the numbers could be further off than they are willing to disclose at one time.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dyanna View Post
    Got this info from a credible source. It shows the percentage increase for our dues for 2012. Not too happy about this. Why is it that BLT my home resort has the highest increase when this is also the newest DVC location. Its not like we have a lot to maintain unlike other locations. So I guess my payment will now increase by about $100. Ugh

Resort 2012 Dues Increase
    Animal Kingdom Villas $5.4356 +8.40%
    Aulani (Subsidized) $4.4794 +3.93%
    Aulani (non-Subsidized) $5.9607 +4.02%
    Bay Lake Tower $4.2219 +8.41%
    Beach Club Villas $5.5043 +4.34%
    BoardWalk Villas $5.6160 +2.95%
    Grand Californian $4.3255 +6.28%
    Hilton Head $5.9290 +4.47%
    Old Key West $5.2035 +4.44%
    Saratoga Springs $4.7309 +4.84%
    Vero Beach $7.1163 +5.02%
    Wilderness Lodge $5.6096 +4.99%
    This is disheartening news, as we were told by our DVC sales person, that the dues, in part, were based on the footprint of the resort. The larger the resort, the higher maintenance would be. I have written to disney concerning dues before, and was given the scripted answer of labor increases and rising health care costs. For the number of staff at BLT (at least from what I've seen), this answer just doesn't hold water. And I have no idea as to how close BLT is to being sold out, but I can't see disney lowering the maintenance, as more people buy in. I definately feel mislead, to say the least.

Saratoga County, New York/Polk County, Florida
    Post Thanks / Like

Glad we sold off 375 points over the past year.
    39 trips to WDW (before I stopped counting and bought a house in the WDW area), 1 to DL & 5 DCL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DonLefNY View Post
    Glad we sold off 375 points over the past year.
    Yeah, I'm thinking there might be more to follow in your footsteps.

It is a discussion point for sure. With us not using our points as often as we thought, we might head down the same road.

More [money] for less [value] doesn't sit well in this household...

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I wonder if BLT and AKV had the same sort of issue that Aulani did and no one's telling? That's a huge increase based on historical rates. They typically only go up between 4%-5%.

Also notice that the three newest properties (BLT, AKV, and VGC) all have higher than normal rate hikes. Makes you wonder if the same accounting genius is responsible.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by gratuspater View Post
    This is disheartening news, as we were told by our DVC sales person, that the dues, in part, were based on the footprint of the resort. The larger the resort, the higher maintenance would be. I have written to disney concerning dues before, and was given the scripted answer of labor increases and rising health care costs. For the number of staff at BLT (at least from what I've seen), this answer just doesn't hold water. And I have no idea as to how close BLT is to being sold out, but I can't see disney lowering the maintenance, as more people buy in. I definately feel mislead, to say the least.
    2016 May AULANI, 2015, Oct F&W Poly
    2015 May SSR, 2014 BCV 2013 Oct-F&WF POR,2013 May-BLT,
    2012 AKL-Kidani/SSR,2011 BLT/OKW,2010 POR,2009 POR,
    2008 CBR,2005 POR/AKL,2003 CBR,2001 POR/AKL,2000 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking as an accountant, it's not the accountants, bean-counters, etc. that are responsible when this type of thing occurs. It's the suits in the corner offices that deliberately decieve the public so that they can meet targets and get bigger bonuses. The accountants gather and report the information, while the suits act on it to best meet their own needs. Now waiting for a suit to come along to defend themself.

I don't know about AKV and VGC, but the furnishings in the rooms at BLT are showing a surprising amount of wear for a resort that's only been open for just over two years. If the other recently opened resorts are the same, it's possible that they all have increased maintenance costs due to the numerous repairs needed because of inferior materials. At least the counters in kitchen and bathrooms were granite and not as easily damaged.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

I can concur that build quality in te we resorts is inferior to the old resorts. SSR felt like I was staying at a value resort last time I was there, which was the last time I'll stay there as well.

These a huge difference between AKL Jambo House and Kidani Village. It's very apparent by just walking once from one to the other.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    These a huge difference between AKL Jambo House and Kidani Village. It's very apparent by just walking once from one to the other.
    What are the differences? i want to know before i stay there
    Bryan

DVC since 02, Poly 89-90, Tokyo 98, CB 99, Swan 01, WL 06 ,08, 10, BLT 11, HHI 12, OKW 12-13, BC 03-05, 07-09, 11, 13,16 , 17
    Contemporary 05, 13, GC DLR 15, VeroBeach 16, AoA 16

"There's Blood on the saddle, and Blood all around...."Big Al-

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I don't know that I agree ... I think the rooms at BLT and Kidani are much nicer and better appointed than the older DVC rooms.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

As far as the rooms go, the newer DVC rooms I think are far better than the old. My reference was towards build quality at the resort. For example, they didn't use actual straw for the thatched roof at kidani like they did at Jambo. it's a plastic straw that looks a lot like weed whacker string. Most of the supports are metal pipes painted to look like real wood, rather than real wood beams like at Jambo. The pool at Kidani has never been fully functional on all my trips there, even just a few short months after opening.

Those are the differences i'm talking about.

SSR feels very light duty on many of the materials as well, the walls seem paper thin. The triim work isn't as ornate, etc. take a gande over at the Beach Club and Boardwalk and everything feels much more substantial.

Kidani is one of my favorite resorts, don't get me wrong. I'd rather stay there than anywhere else on property. But, disney is definitely cutting corners on build quality in recent years.

And if repair costs are high because of bad decisions made early on, we'll continue to see these high increases year after year.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know that I agree ... I think the rooms at BLT and Kidani are much nicer and better appointed than the older DVC rooms.
    Haven't stayed at BLT yet, but I agree the rooms at Kidani are very nice.

However we stayed at SSR in October and the room we stayed in was probably a year past a total overhaul. Stained, old, broken, extremly worn carpets etc. We were not impressed. We just booked our May holiday at OKW. We did not want to go anywhere near our home resort of SSR.

Hopefully this increase will get us some big renos and not just continue on as is.
    WDW x 12
    DL x 2
    DCL x 3
    DVC circa 2007

Post Thanks / Like

I think some of these posts just go to show the inconsistency in room quality. Our room at SSR in was in good condition, where as our room at BLT last December already showed wear. Not to mention, it was not that accessible for handicap accessible 2 bedroom. My Mom could only wheel into 1 of the bathrooms there and it had a lot of sharp edges which are not easy to maneuver with a wheelchair. As it was new construction, you would have thought these issues would have been addressed.

I think the newer resorts will need more maintenance and sooner than the older resorts due to the use of lower quality materials.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    As far as the rooms go, the newer DVC rooms I think are far better than the old. My reference was towards build quality at the resort. For example, they didn't use actual straw for the thatched roof at kidani like they did at Jambo. it's a plastic straw that looks a lot like weed whacker string. Most of the supports are metal pipes painted to look like real wood, rather than real wood beams like at Jambo. The pool at Kidani has never been fully functional on all my trips there, even just a few short months after opening.

Those are the differences i'm talking about.

SSR feels very light duty on many of the materials as well, the walls seem paper thin. The triim work isn't as ornate, etc. take a gande over at the Beach Club and Boardwalk and everything feels much more substantial.

Kidani is one of my favorite resorts, don't get me wrong. I'd rather stay there than anywhere else on property. But, disney is definitely cutting corners on build quality in recent years.

And if repair costs are high because of bad decisions made early on, we'll continue to see these high increases year after year.
    The two times I have stayed at Kidani (both times in November) the pool was fully functional.

Also the beams at Jambo do you think they are solid wood beams or is it just a facade over a steal support? I have no idea but it agree it does look nicer than the painted beams. But I still feel Kidani is very well kept.

As for BLT I believe they were changing the Studios so the bathroom sink was back in the bathroom. So that could have added some extra costs.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    The two times I have stayed at Kidani (both times in November) the pool was fully functional.
    Really? The water tower in the play area was working (complete with pull handle?) Last I saw that wasn't even connected to anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Haven't posted in a while, but have to weigh in on this one. We observed a significant difference in the condition of our Kidani room as compared to the BLT room...we switched resorts mid-stay during our last trip. I was really disappointed at the level of wear and tear in the BLT room considering it is newer. IMHO, it's not necessarily a materials issue, but a user issue.
    I'll take on a Rusty Scupper mode here:

1) DVC Ownership should mean you treat the property as you would your own home

2) BLT's location as compared to AKL may create a statistically significant reduction in the ages of the children who are staying there

3) This could translate into increased wear and tear in the form of spills, messes, abuse to the furniture and cabinets, etc.

4) Promptly cleaning up spills and keeping destructive behavior in check would go a long way in extending the life of the rooms

5) I would wager that DVC owners not taking "ownership" of the property as they should is a major contributing factor to why dues are going up - frequency and extent of repairs required.

Just my two-cents.
    First Trip - January 2003

DVC
    Kidani Village - AKL
    Bay Lake Tower
    Riviera Resort

VMK - QueenThump & BrerFan

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: