Quantcast worried about SSR

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default worried about SSR

hi guys i need your advice.
    we have been going to WDW for almost every year for several years now. we have always stayed at AKL and a few times at POP. this would be our first time in SSR and im having second thoughts,
    please tell me your reviews about the resort. ill be there in about 10 days should i change the place or is it a good place to stay keeping in mind that we are a family of 6 not that much interseted in pools, love to go to parks early, rest in the after-noon and back to parks again. is it a good place to stay? and which is the best building to stay at?
    please please help.
    thank you

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

For me, its a moderate with enough lipstick to make it appear as a delixe. but as they say, you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.

I stayed there once, shortly after they opened. we had all sorts of problems, door locks were losing their settings, bus transport was bad, etc. A lot of people complain about AKL and their bus service, however SSR is really bad. Its not close to anything except DTD, but there nothing special about DTD anymore, so that's nothing to brag about.

Build quality I think is sub par. Materials seem cheap. Many buildings are very far from the main area, making the busses important for getting around. I like to walk, but most won't do that and will pend considerable time waiting.

I do like eir CS location, but it's not enough to get me back. Given a hoice, we'll hold off on a trip before staying there again.

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

It's really just a matter of personal taste, I think. We own at SSR IMO it's a very nice resort. The grounds are beautiful, the rooms are spacious and well-appointed, and the dining options are more than adequate.

Is it the best Disney resort there is? No, probably not, but it's still very nice and if you're not really resort people anyway then trust me ... you'll be fine.
    Last edited by Ian; 12-26-2011 at 11:20 AM.
    Ian șOș
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

We own at SSR and really love this resort.

Some complain that it doesn't have that Disney themeing like other resorts. That is one of the things we love about the resort. We also like that it is a quiet, laid back resort. We have stayed there 3 times and will be staying there again in a few weeks. We can't wait!
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

I felt the same way about SSR before we stayed there. But I can honestly say I thoroughly enjoy SSR (and we stayed there before we added in points there, if that sounds less biased )
    I live strolling through the grounds ~ the food court is great and takes TiW, the turf club is delicious! The new paddock pool is a lot of fun. The gym is clean & set up very nicely. I think it's very homey and the upscale equestrian theme is very pleading to my Family.
    I suggest giving it a try.
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
    Some complain that it doesn't have that Disney themeing like other resorts.
    Yeah, that I don't get. How many Disney resorts really have Disney theming? Subtle touches here and there maybe (which SSR has too), but it's not like there are any other resorts with Disney themes.

I guess All Stars maybe?
    Ian șOș

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! ș0ș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

It's definitely themed. There are many aspects of the resort that are themed to Saratoga Springs, victorian style, and horses. I never understood that either, about it not being themed.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

I know there will be many opinions, but for us, we avoid SSR whenever we're making reservations. It's a combination of the rooms, the theming, and 3 pretty lousy experiences when we stayed there. Twice they gave us keys for the wrong room. One trip we had to switch rooms twice. Maybe it's been bad luck, but it will have to be very specific circumstances for me to get my wife back there again!

Now I'm not naive enough to think everyone who stays there has had the same experiences. If they did, the place would have been shut down years ago! That being said, perhaps you need to experience it for yourself and see what you think. The location is nice, the pools are nice, and we like the food options. So it does have some positives, too.

Post Thanks / Like

thanks for all replies.
    i did try to find another location but unfortunately couldn’t find any openings.
    i will continue to try, but if i cant ill just have to accept it and have a positive attitude about it. wish me luck

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    you can put lipstick on a pig, but its still a pig.
    {Flame Proof Suit In Place}

1) Having worked there and stayed there, I agree.
    2) DVC claims a "theme", but it is weak one.
    . . . the name and namesake might be a theme
    . . . the CM costumes might be a theme
    . . . the rooms and grounds show little theme
    . . . the buildings differ only by the roof cupola shape
    . . . resembles a series of Holiday Inns, but with suites
    3) SSR is
    . . . more like a Moderate-designed resort than a DVC
    . . . least inspired DVC resort on property
    . . . cheapest designed DVC on property
    . . . most "Plain Jane" DVC

NOTE: The DVC resort still has not sold out.
    If it was so well themed, it would have sold
    out within these 7œ years. Hint.

{Flame Proof Suit Back in Closet}
    Average Banjo Picker. Pretty-Good Sailing Master. Newly Ordained.

Post Thanks / Like

I was concerned the first time I stayed there but, actually enjoyed it and have stayed there 2 additional times since. It is not my favorite resort but, I don't mind it. I like the Congress Park area as it is the closest if you wanted to walk to Downtown Disney and it is also near a nice pool.
    "Are you an Tigger or an Eeyore?" - Randy Pausch

Been to WDW more times than I can count since 1972. Stayed at BLT, AKV, WLV, SSR, POP, CBR, CR, FW Cabins, all the All Stars and also off site. Been to DL 3 times, 4 cruises on the Magic and went on the Dream Inaugural Cruise.

DVC - 7/2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by TheRustyScupper View Post
    {Flame Proof Suit In Place}

I]NOTE: The DVC resort still has not sold out.
    out within these 7œ years. Hint.[/I]

{Flame Proof Suit Back in Closet}
    LOL, off topic but...there are no sold out resorts technically since they have available inventory to sell at each place. But yes, up until SSR each resort did actually sell out. None have sold out since I believe and that's quite a few resorts. So it's not just SSR. Even AKV which is super-themed hasn't. That's been, what, almost 5 years now.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

2) DVC claims a "theme", but it is weak one.
    . . . the name and namesake might be a theme
    . . . the CM costumes might be a theme
    . . . the rooms and grounds show little theme
    . . . the buildings differ only by the roof cupola shape
    . . . resembles a series of Holiday Inns, but with suites
    That's really just a matter of opinion. I happen to think the theming is fine and have no issue with it at all. In fact, I think the grounds are among the prettiest of any of the DVC resorts.

3) SSR is
    . . . more like a Moderate-designed resort than a DVC
    . . . least inspired DVC resort on property
    . . . cheapest designed DVC on property
    . . . most "Plain Jane" DVC
    Again, that's a complete matter of opinion, because I'd say the exact same thing about a certain DVC resort, but it would be Old Key West. That place feels exactly like a cheap, beachfront motel to me.

NOTE: The DVC resort still has not sold out.
    out within these 7œ years. Hint.
    That's actually inaccurate. The first of SSR's inventory sold out very quickly. It is true that they have "new " inventory available, but it's only because they added a lot of point inventory when the treehouse villas became part of DVC (which happened to coincide with the downturn in the economy).

It's more than worth noting that none of the recently built DVC resorts, including the vaunted AKV and BLT, are sold out.
    Ian șOș

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    That's actually inaccurate. The first of SSR's inventory sold out very quickly. It is true that they have "new " inventory available, but it's only because they added a lot of point inventory when the treehouse villas became part of DVC (which happened to coincide with the downturn in the economy).

It's more than worth noting that none of the recently built DVC resorts, including the vaunted AKV and BLT, are sold out.
    That's true, too. Good point. I forgot that SSR had indeed sold out before the new Treehouse Villas inventory was released. And I agree Ian, we felt the same about OKW.

Post Thanks / Like

SINCE you are already booked there, there is no point second guessing yourself! It is a lovely resort and you will absolutely have a wonderful stay there. I personally adore the race-track theming and elegant feel to the place.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down

No offense, but we HATED it! We were so far from the main building, I didn't even feel like we were in Disney. They told us to catch one of the buses to the park to get to the main building. No thanks. We asked for a different room and they did put us closer, but oh what a room it was. My daughter had a roll out couch bed, but the problem was the couch part was about 3 inches higher than the roll out part. It was a nightmare. We finally asked for a different resort and found ourselves much happier at All Star Movies, which was a downgrade. Never again is all I can say.
    Formerly luvinmesomedisney. Someone in the family turned off my "remember me" button and I forgot ME. Forgot my password so had to use a different name.

Post Thanks / Like

Everyone is going to have for bad stories and good stories. I had a HORRIBLE experience this month at WLV and am in no hurry to go back there, but others have been over the moon with their experience there.

I think theming is too subjective to say "it's good" or "it's bad".

Akl is not my cup of tea- I'm nOt a fan of African art and to me a giraffe is a giraffe. But I totally respect that others like it and I appreciate the grandeur of it and the work that went into it.

I feel the same way about SSR. While I love the upscale equestrian feel, some dont. But I think it's important to at least appreciate that every tree placed there is ONLY a tree native to Upstate New York , and I love the homage to Disney horses thru the years displayed in the lobby.

I also like the DVC center being right there. It's nice to feel this resort "belongs" to us.

So yes- everyone has has good and bad experiences. Unfortunately it's a risk you have to take at any resort- our one and ONLY stay at the poly included 4 burned out bulbs (2 in the bathroom alone, making it too dark to get ready in there and too easy to disguise the pool of urine behind the commode base ), a broken hair dryer, and a bed linen than had what i like to tell myself was a red paint stain on it.
    But I wouldn't tell anyone not to stay at the poly bc I know that's an isolated unlucky event, and unfortunately those things happen.

Try it out for yourself. If you're unhappy, insist on being moved. But you may find yourself loving it!

And try the stuffed mushrooms and chicken penne pasta at the turf club!!! Yummy!!!
    INTERCOT Staff-

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Ian;2231292]That's really just a matter of opinion. I happen to think the theming is fine and have no issue with it at all. In fact, I think the grounds are among the prettiest of any of the DVC resorts.

...because I'd say the exact same thing about a certain DVC resort, but it would be Old Key West. That place feels exactly like a cheap, beachfront motel to me.

Quote Originally Posted by DVC2004 View Post
    And I agree Ian, we felt the same about OKW.
    Add me to the list of people that feel like Ian does about Old Key West. I bought additional points there through resale, but only because we never book before the 7 month mark and the price was fantastic ($58 per point). Have no intention of ever using those points there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post

I will never understand the logic of DVC management for announcing new resorts from beginning of 2007 when the economy started it's free fall.

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    Try it out for yourself. If you're unhappy, insist on being moved. But you may find yourself loving it!

And try the stuffed mushrooms and chicken penne pasta at the turf club!!! Yummy!!!
    I agree to try it out and form your own opinion. As you can see there are many of us who like it there, myself included. It is where I first purchased DVC resale points. I'm pretty picky, too, as I stay at luxury chains such as the Four Seasons. Now SSR is not, or any Disney hotel for that matter, at the level of the Four Seasons, but I am not going in with that expectation, as it is unrealistic. Disney is trying to please a broader client base.

Quote Originally Posted by cantgetenuff View Post
    The Turf Club is so good! We have had excellent lunches and dinners there. A picture of their burger topped with lobster which was fantastic!

Name:  burger.jpg
Views: 178
Size:  59.6 KB
    Christine șoș

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

Omgosh Christine I have the same picture of my husband's lobster burger and sweet potato fries!! That restaurant - IMHO- is a hidden gem! We go there when we are NOT staying there because it's that good! And my husband loves the lounge area- beer and sports- yes please!

My daughter loves the jockey uniforms on the wall. She has pictures of all of them in her phone.

Now this makes me want to go stay at SSR soon!
    INTERCOT Staff-

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

OMG that burger looks so good!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: