Quantcast Large group with EVC?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Large group with EVC?

My sister broke her heel this past summer and is coming with us to WDW in January. She is able to walk now, doesn't require her boot/cast anymore, but can only walk in very short spurts or else she gets excrutiating pain in her foot. So she is renting a small EVC to scoot around the parks in, and we're driving our own cars so we're not worried about transporting it back and forth to the parks. She will also have a cane with her for extra support when she's on her feet.
    But my question is this:
    We will be a group of 11 people, so a fairly large bunch. She can only be on her feet walking for very short periods of time, so if the lineup is more than 20+ minutes long, she can't stand in the queue.
    So, what's the protocol for us?
    I've been to Disney so many times but we've never needed to use the handicapped entrances to any of the rides, so I'm not sure how we do it!

1. Are there any rides that have no handicapped entrance at all, so she would have to stand in line with everyone else?
    2. I know some rides, you enter through the exit doors with your scooter then transfer into the boat (like IASM I think?) -- can our entire group of 11 go with her through these special entrances?

Any other tips for me?
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have done most all rides with a total of 6 in the group and have never had any problems with being turned away as that many. If there is a limit I'm unaware of what the number could be.
    More and more of the lines you just drive right up the normal line on your ECV.
    I'll start a list of lines that require different lines for ECVs and maybe others can add any they remember that I miss.
    Cast Members at all attractions will be able to direct you to the correct area and method.
    Magic Kingdom:
    1) Jungle Cruise - seperate line all the way to the left hand side as you enter the area. Must transfer out of ECV. Will usually have to wait a bit as not all boats are can handle the loading of handicapped.
    2) Pirates of the Caribbean - Park ECV on left side as you enter and transfer to provided wheelchair for line if needed.
    Epcot:
    1) Spaceship Earth - Side enterance. Ask. They actually have you go into the exit to board.
    2) Ellen's - They encourage parking the ECV on the outside and walking in, but I have noticed that there are some of the seating boxes are built to accommodate wheelchairs.(???)
    Hollywood Studios:
    1) Toy Story Mania - Seperate line, they will direct you to it.
    2) Lights, Motors, Action - Follow instructions from CM and they will take you up in an elevator.
    Animal Kingdom:
    1) Kilamanjaro Safari - Clearly marked gate to go through about half way down the path.
    2) Festival of the Lion King - Get there early and check with CM as they do have a limited number of ECVs they can fit in each performance.
    3) FInding Nemo - Follow whatever directions the CMs give you. I have seen this show 3 times and have never gone in the same way, always an adventure.
    And always remember the number one rule - Keep smiling and say "Thank You!" a million times to all of those wonderful CMs that try very hard to make us all have a magical visit.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

2) Ellen's - They encourage parking the ECV on the outside and walking in, but I have noticed that there are some of the seating boxes are built to accommodate wheelchairs.(???)

I know my Electric Chair fits on the ride along with standard manual chairs. Not a whole lot of room for large equipemt.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

One thing to keep in mind - sometimes the handicapped entrance can be a good bit longer wait than the regular one. Last January my DS11 had a knee injury from football and couldn't walk so we did an ECV for him. No problems getting around, and it helped make the trip enjoyable and doable for him, but we discovered that we often had to wait longer times in the handicapped lane than in the regular one, so anytime your sister can use the regular lane, especially with such a large group, I would recommend it.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

The limit on the amount of people accompanying the person with the ECV is 5.

Your sister should just take the ECV thru all the lines, so she has a seat. If she doesn't then there will be no place for her to get off her foot.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by peemagg View Post
    The limit on the amount of people accompanying the person with the ECV is 5.

Your sister should just take the ECV thru all the lines, so she has a seat. If she doesn't then there will be no place for her to get off her foot.
    Great advice...
    Most of the lines can fit a EWC or ECV.
    Some have hard turns and can be a challange.
    Some you have to use handicape entrance and wait for the rest of your party.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Oh wow, thanks everybody! That's awesome. I'm sure the CM's will be helpful at the entrances to rides and they'll tell us the best way to all get on the ride together.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Pretty much all the rides she'll be ok. at the worse she may have to transfer into a wheel chair to go through the que.
    most rides do have handicapped entrances, someone said the limit was 5,i thought it was 6...well i guess if you include the person, it is 6. we had 7 once, and my sister had to sit out but they did let her ride w/ my mom when she came back from the ride (kind of like what they do w/ babies).

have fun!
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Oh wow, thanks everybody! That's awesome. I'm sure the CM's will be helpful at the entrances to rides and they'll tell us the best way to all get on the ride together.
    Do Not be surprised that your group will not be able to all get on the ride together. They only allow 5 people plus the handicapped person to go thru the alternate entrance. If the line is mainstreamed then you will all get to go thru together.
    Can I go "home" yet?
    Mickey where are you?

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: