Quantcast Downton Abbey - Season 2 - Page 4

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AgentC View Post
    I normally watch it very late art night or the next day. Everyone think sleeping thought toward my children. I'd love to watch it tonight!
    I think this is one of those times to set the kids up with a video! Then maybe they'll be ready to fall asleep with minimal interruption.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Lol! Just realized that it's after 10:30 p.m. for you-- hope you got the kids off to bed and are watching DA!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Do you promise?

BEST line of the night!

Post Thanks / Like

My husband and I made a deal. He got done work at 10 so I got to watch the first hour and change uninterrupted until he came home and got settled. Then we switched over to Walking Dead, then I got to finish . Before I had to break, the last scene I watched was when Matthew came to check on Mary with Carlisle. I yelled "punch him!" and when he did I cheered! And I busted out laughing at the Dowager Coutess' line. Meanwhile my DH was laughing and shaking his head at me

What a finale.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    Lol! Just realized that it's after 10:30 p.m. for you-- hope you got the kids off to bed and are watching DA!
    Had to take a few breaks to put the kids to bed and it took until 12:30 but I watched it all. Luckily they has no school tomorrow and I work from home so I can roll out of bed and walk to my office.

And it was worth it.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

Okay, now that I've slept, I'll throw out a few thoughts. First of all, it was wonderful, but I think I worked myself up too much for it. I'm so wanting one of those moments like I had the first time I watched North & South where I was completely blown away. Of course, it's my fault I read some spoilers and knew Matthew & Mary got together finally. I couldn't resist!

Watching Sir Richard get cast off was very satisfying, but I don't think we've seen the last of how this will affect the Crawley's. Maybe the men in Mary's life were a little too quick to forgive/understand for my taste? Her relief was so nice to see though. What a huge secret she'd been carrying.

Poor Mr. Bates and poor, poor Anna. He'd lie for anyone else to protect them, but when it came to himself, it was full disclosure. Geez. I guess there had to be some kind of holdover for season 3.

I missed Sybil and Branson. Maybe the baby will bring them all back together again at Downton. Am interested to see where they go with Ethel's storyline.

I will so miss my Sunday nights at Downton Abbey. I think I'm going to buy the DVD and watch unedited.

Post Thanks / Like

My first thoughts

I didn't read any of the spoilers, so I did not know about M&M so until the end I thought she might actually go to NY. I am a romantic at heart so the end of the episode was very satisfying to me.

Melanie- I can see your point about the men's attitude toward Mary's secret. It was a very fast acceptance. For Matthew, it might not be out of character. He did come from a different class and that may have made him more understanding.

Lord Grantham is interesting. He is so upset about Sybil's marriage but barely bats an eye at Mary's secret. To me I think it is a combination of Mary really being his favorite. Overall he is very forgiving of her and the dreaded Jane/Grantham story line that most of us didn't like. When he says, "you are not the first Crawley to make a mistake", I'm sure he is thinking of that.

I am glad to see Sir Richard go to, but I was surprised that I had a little sympathy for him at the end. Not a lot mind you. Just a smidge.

Poor Anna and Mr. Bates seem to perpetually draw the short straw on the show.

I missed Sybil too and agree on Edith. Interesting choice to bring him back and injured.

Other random thoughts- I wonder what mayhem Thomas will manage to cause next year and I am happy for Daisy.

I am really going to miss these Sunday nights too.Wish there were more episodes already.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

I, too, read a spoiler after last week about Matthew and Mary, and Sybil being pregnant, but that was it, and I still found the episode pretty fulfilling. Any bit of sympathy I had for Sir Richard went out the window when he asked Anna to spy on Mary, and cornered Mary against the wall warning her not to cross him. I don't care if he says he really loved her, he is not a good person.

I don't know what to make of Thomas. Always up to something, the character you love to hate. I could not believe he actually locked Isis in that shed. But what a great scene when he was rolling around in the woods frantically looking for her.

When they sentenced Bates to hang, I totally freaked out at first. I'm thinking "No, this cannot be!" That caught me off guard. Of course I should've known they wouldn't actually hang him

One more thing-Are we meant to assume the Ouija board message was from Lavinia? "May they be happy, with my love" is what I think it read, and then right after that Matthew proposed.
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

This was a wonderful episode and a great way to end season 2. I am wondering if they had M&M get together because they didn't know if there would be a third season until after season 2 wrapped production. I feel like the story line between these two is the crux of the series and they would want to drag out the will-they-or-won't-they a bit longer. But it's going to be EPIC once they do get married and I hope we get to see every lavish minute.

The one thing that bothers me, that the cast and producers have acknowledged, is the passage of time in the series. It's been eight years since season 1 debuted in 1912 and no one has aged a day! Especially Daisy, she still looks 12 (does anyone know how old she is anyway?). I'm completely on board with my willing suspension of disbelief, but sometimes I need to remind myself that the Turk didn't die three months ago, like it seems sometimes!

I was hoping Mary would go to New York and we'd get some scenes there, and would also make a good segway to introducing Shirley McLaine as Lady Cora's mother. But we know she's coming anyway next season!

I will stick with Masterpiece on Sundays, out of habit and also because it's just top notch programming. The Old Curiosity Shop is on next week. I'll be flipping between that and the Oscars! I'm also looking forward to the upcoming new version of Great Expectations in a few weeks!
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    I, too, read a spoiler after last week about Matthew and Mary, and Sybil being pregnant, but that was it, and I still found the episode pretty fulfilling. Any bit of sympathy I had for Sir Richard went out the window when he asked Anna to spy on Mary, and cornered Mary against the wall warning her not to cross him. I don't care if he says he really loved her, he is not a good person.
    Oh, I do agree on Sir Richard. My smidge of sympathy was for in his view he thinks he has done everything right. He thinks Matthew is the problem and can't see that he is just as responsible. But yes, good riddance.
    Cindy aka AgentC

Post Thanks / Like

It was so good! They finally slowed down and let us enjoy the storylines unfolding and wrapping up (or preparing for cliffhangers) instead of rushing us through plot developments as in the last few shows.

I think that's why the Mary news was easily forgiven or dismissed by her father and Matthew. It was years ago by now that it happened, and with the war in between and all that time, their priorities and attitudes are so changed. We've covered such a big stretch of time (without anyone really aging, as someone mentioned) and now the women are sleeveless (gasp) and fashions and society will continue to change-- which will no doubt be highlighted by the American coming on board. Watching Shirley Maclaine clash with Violet should be a delight. And how will Thomas take it when Bates comes back to resume his post? He has to come back! Does Sir Richard love Mary enough to not expose her after all? Haha, doubtful.

Obviously, we had the big plot developments with Matthew-Mary and Anna-Bates, but I loved all the others, too. Daisy with William's father, and Anna with the maid and fortune-hunter. O'Brien's softer side (surely can't last), and poor Edith still not finding a match. Well done! Now the waiting...
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Lovely episode! I can totally see how sentimental this must have been when it aired on Christmas Day in the UK. That romantic proposal with the snow swirling around! (Although the practical part of me thought it seemed very unrealistic with Mary in a dress with no sleeves. Surely if it had truly been that cold Matthew would have taken off his coat for her to wear?) However, I am sad that Edit couldn't catch a break in the love department again--as time has gone by she's become my favorite of the Crawley sisters.

It is interesting how time (and the war) have subtly started blurring the lines between the classes on the show. I wasn't surprised at Lord Grantham's forgiving attitude toward Mary, given his own recent indiscretion.

I think I've said this before (or maybe it was just on Facebook), but I just love Brendan Coyle (Mr. Bates). He was so charming in a 1995 movie I watched recently, The Glass Virgin. Sure he's older now, but still has that sparkle in his eye.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    I think I've said this before (or maybe it was just on Facebook), but I just love Brendan Coyle (Mr. Bates). He was so charming in a 1995 movie I watched recently, The Glass Virgin. Sure he's older now, but still has that sparkle in his eye.
    He'll forever be Higgins to me.

I'll have to catch The Glass Virgin sometime.

Post Thanks / Like

Beth-too funny! I was thinking the exact same thing about Mary having short sleeves in the snow. I thought he would either offer his coat or grab her to warm her up which would lead to a kiss...
    ~M.~

11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post

I'll have to catch The Glass Virgin sometime.
    Oh yes, Mel! He is so handsome in that movie!
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--

Post Thanks / Like

JUst how wonderful was the part about Daisy and William's father? I loved it and was hunting for kleenex. We also completely enjoyed the additional interviews with the cast that they showed after the episode. Can't wait for next season.
    KAY

DVC MEMBER - OKW & HHI
    First trip to WDW - Dec, 2005
    Last visit to Disneyland - 2014

First trip to Disneyland - 1955

Post Thanks / Like

I completely blew through season 1 and 2 in about 2 weeks. Such a great show!! I wish I would've watched it when the show was on and this thread was active so I would have someone to talk to about. The casting, costumes, cinematography, and acting on it is just perfect.

It's funny, at the begining of season 1 I didn't want Mary and Matthew together because I thought she was too mean for him. Then when she got involved with that awful Sir Richard I was rooting for Mary and Matthew to somehow get together!

I just can't believe how different that world is. And it was less then 100 years ago! It definitely had me sucked in and had my attention. I can't wait for season 3! I hope it isn't a long wait.
    șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș șOș
    Amber

62 Miles from the Magic!!!!

Stayed at: All Stars Sports, Music and Movies; Dixie Landings; Port Orleans; Pop Century; Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

I've heard the cast is signed on for five seasons. I hope this is true, but I also hope they start slowing down a bit with plot developments and the passing of time or the characters will all be aging, dead, and buried before five seasons runs out.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I FINALLY watched season one and OMGosh I adore it!!!! Best show I've seen in a long long time! I've actually gasped--- Out loud! Not often a show or movie makes me do that!

I could scratch Thomas' eyes out! Yuck!
    Is he the evil dude from titanic? Or does he just look similar ?
    INTERCOT Staff-
    Nightlife, Shops, Water Parks/DCL/runDisney

DVC owner- BLT, Alauni, SSR, Vero, OKW

Next:

Oct- WLV
    Nov- Vero
    Dec- BWV
    Jan- SSR runICOT WEEKEND!
    Feb- Poly
    Mar- Disney Wonder
    Apr- AKL Kidani
    May- Vero
    Sept- BLT

Post Thanks / Like

Season Three debuts on PBS Sunday January 6th! There was a Critic's conference over the weekend and lots of Tweets from @MasterpiecePBS from the panel. I gather there were some really good clips of new episodes shown as well. There's a great picture of Hugh Bonneville wearing a Free Bates t-shirt under his suit, Superman style.

I've been watching Season 1 on Netflix all week to take the edge off of DA withdrawal.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: