Quantcast DVC questions

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: DVC questions

Post Thanks / Like

Default DVC questions

Hi Everyone,

We are thinking about taking the leap into the Disney Vacation Club, and I'm hoping you can help me clarify a few things.

1. I want to better understand "use years" and when a trip can be booked. Say we have a February Use Year and we use all of our points for that year on a trip in June. Then a couple months later (when we have no remaining points for that year) we want to book a trip for the following March (when we'll have new points as of Feb.). Is this possible or would we have to wait until after February 1 to book that trip? I know you can borrow from next year's points, but in this case that wouldn't make much sense because we would be traveling after the points were allocated for that year.

2. How difficult is it to make reservations 1 to 2 months in advance? The reason I ask is that if we buy it will likely be on the resale market and I understand this process takes 8-10 weeks -- but we are hoping to go on our first DVC trip during the last week of June. Do you think this is possible?

3. Is transportation from MCO available for DVC members?

Any assistance that you can provide would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks.

Travis

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Here are my answers to your questions:

1) You can do what you propose. If you have a February use year, the points can be used for a reservation between February 1st and the following January 31st. You do not have to wait for the use year to start before making your reservation. You can make a home resort reservation for March 2013 in April of 2012, knowing that the points will be available before you get there.

2) I have never tried to make a reservation on only 1 or 2 months notice. The most commonly expressed opinion is that (excluding very busy seasons), you can generally get something at one of the DVC resorts on short notice, but will have to be flexible regarding choice of resort and possibly the exact dates of your trip.

3) DVC members can use Magical Express between MCO and WDW - we do this all the time.
    WDW Visitor since 1973, DVC member since 2000

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Travis1717 View Post
    2. How difficult is it to make reservations 1 to 2 months in advance? The reason I ask is that if we buy it will likely be on the resale market and I understand this process takes 8-10 weeks -- but we are hoping to go on our first DVC trip during the last week of June. Do you think this is possible?
    In general, it's not only possible, but we've done this many times. The trick, as FiggyFan says, is to be flexible, and of course, the more popular times of the year will be more difficult.

Just a few weeks ago I reserved a room for my brother with only a couple of weeks notice, and was able to change their room ressie to the Wilderness Lodge for the day before they were to arrive. Now, keep in mind, this was for January, one of the least popular times of year, but it's possible.

You will be able to gauge the more popular times of year by the "season" you are trying to book. In general, the seasons that require the most points are the most popular (and, by extension, the most difficult time of year to get exactly what you want).

Summer months are the second most popular season, behind only the two weeks surrounding Easter, and Christmas time. The later in June, the more difficult it will be to book on short notice. If you do not get what you want, you can be put on a wait list, which may or may not come through. (Anecdotally, we have always been able to get a room somewhere with our dates, even when we're on a wait list.)

If you are buying through Disney, I would talk to your guide about your plans. He or she might be able to help you get a ressie when the paperwork is done.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, both! Your responses were really helpful. We are now in the process of buying at Animal Kingdom!