Quantcast Driving into NYC for a weekend trip? Pros and cons...

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving into NYC for a weekend trip? Pros and cons...

So, we might go to NYC for a weekend in June (Fri-Sun) to see a play and spend 2 nights in the city.

We *could* drive. It would be about 5 hours driving time. I know that parking will cost around $50/day at any given Manhattan hotel. We are looking to stay in the Theater District/Times Square area.

We could also fly. Time wise, it will be a wash, between having to arrive 2 hours early, then the 1.5 hour flight, then transport from the airport to the hotel via taxi.

How much of a hassle is it having a car in the city? We will likely just park it at the hotel and walk/cab wherever we go. I do like the flexibility that the car affords in terms of allowing us to get on the road whenever we are ready.

How bad will traffic be going into the city on a Friday afternoon, and leaving on a Sunday morning?
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We will often drive to New York City for a long weekend, arriving on a Friday and leaving on a Monday. Last time we drove (in July), we went via New Jersey rather than accross the Tappan Zee Bridge. Very efficient, and got us over on 8th Avenue where our hotel was and we avoided a lot of city traffic. We got a deal through a travel site, and it included our hotel and parking our car there. We left our car parked once we arrived, and used the Subway or our feet for making our way around.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer to park and take the train into the city, but that's much easier from CT. I've never driven in NYC, so can't help with that.

If you're with kids, we have gotten some great deals at the Marriott Marquis in the past with a really large room that has a king bed and a sleeper sofa, which might work out well for you with kids. Otherwise, rooms in NY are pretty small. But, we've also had good stays at the Hilton near Rockefeller Center (also not far from Times Square, walkable and a little less hectic). Doubletree Suites, also good. I prefer both the Marriott and Hilton to the Sheratons in Times Square (but those were not bad, either). And if you're going without the kids, there are occasionally deals on some very romantic rooms at the Muse (huge bedroom/bathrooms/cool wine bar).
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks ladies!

No kids this trip. Going to see Book of Mormon.

I'm liking the Hilton Times Square. Decent prices and only a few blocks from the theater.

Leaning towards driving at this point considering airfare costs!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Thanks ladies!

No kids this trip. Going to see Book of Mormon.

I'm liking the Hilton Times Square. Decent prices and only a few blocks from the theater.

Leaning towards driving at this point considering airfare costs!
    I want to see that! Jealous.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Why don't you take the train?

A round trip ticket on the Northeast Regional line will cost you $100 pp. You don't have to worry about traffic or parking. While there is the Acela train, it will cost you an extra $200 minimum pp round trip and you only save about 30-45 minutes of time each way.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

The train costs the same as flying. Not worth it. We'd still be running on someone else's schedule.

And, I don't like trains.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Default Driving into NYC

I recently stayed at the Westin Times sq. I can not say enough about the staff convenience and accomdations. Even you def want to go out there is enough within the the premises to keep you busy. This includes a shulad steak house starbucks and movie theater. You will be so close to great dining and theatrr options.

I would drive rather than fly or take the train based on what u have said. I have both driven and flown to your area but have done this from Ct. A couple of people on the boards might be able to give you specific information about getting in and out of the city during your time frame. I'll shoot a text to one and ask if they can get on and respond. Have fun.

Post Thanks / Like

We just visited NYC for our anniversary this weekend. We stayed in the New York Palace (near St. Patrick's Cathedral) and we had dinner at Becco. My administrative assistant recently stayed in a bed and breakfast called the French Quarter, which is in the theater district, and she really liked that.

I wouldn't take the train from where you are, but I would consider using the subway once you got to the city. We did find that if we stayed in Mid Town, that we could (and did) walk to almost everything.
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

I travel to VA a couple times a year. Flying is something that has never even crossed my mind. Why the heck would you consider flying from VA to NY?
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I travel to VA a couple times a year. Flying is something that has never even crossed my mind. Why the heck would you consider flying from VA to NY?
    Because I loathe long car rides.

It is no different than when we used to fly fro southern CA to San Francisco. Or, from Orange County to Las Vegas. LOTS of people routinely make those 4-6 hour drives, but just as many fly. I'm impatient like that.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

This is just my opinion but I would avoid driving your car into NYC at all costs. I think it's terrible. Traffic jams can be really bad, drivers cut you off (I've seen alot of fender benders and near misses), and parking is either non existent or so over the top expensive. My opinion ...take the train.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we drove in to see a show, my husband swore we'd never do it again. However, if you are staying overnight I don't think it is that bad. We stayed at the HIlton by the MOMA once and loved it... but used points. There is a garage under the hotel so you really are just getting in, parking, and going out when you leave. It probably only 3 blocks to the Gershwin and not terrible far from the other theaters as well.

Also, we LOVED The Book of Mormon. Enjoy it!!!!!!!! Get ready for one of the most offensive musicals you will ever see in your entire life!!!!!
    Lauryn

7/14 - OKW
    8/13 - BC
    7/12 - WL
    8/11 - BLT
    5/10 - BC
    8/09 - off site
    12/31/08 at Epcot day trip
    3/08 - Pop Century
    8/04 - off site
    5/01 - Boardwalk Year 2000
    5/97 - off site 25h Anniversary of WDW

Post Thanks / Like

Great question! We're also visiting NYC in June! But after everyone's advice, we're planning to stay in NJ & catch a motor coach to Union Station (about a block from Times Square), I'm told it's about $8.00 round trip. I was very concerned about driving in the city & we are travelling with DS's & so many of the NYC rooms were just tiny and wow the prices for those tiny rooms for a family of 4! Not to mention the additional costs of parking your car! We definitely plan on taking busses & the subway to get where our feet won't take us! I'm hoping this goes well! So many people stressed to me the total chaos of trying to drive in NYC, especially for us that don't know where we're going!

Best wishes for a wonderful trip!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: