Quantcast Fantasmic Horror Story

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasmic Horror Story

It was late June. It was HOT. We haven't seen Fantasmic in a few trips so we planned our day at DHS around this. We chose not to do the dinner package for whatever reason. We arrived at the Fantasmic entrance about 90 minutes before show time. We walked alllll the way to the stands which OMGosh must be almost a mile further down (maybe). Here, and only here, at the stands, at the seating area were there a slew of CMs telling everyone there were NO seats left...none...90 minutes before the show starts.
    Okay, fine, but why, except for one lonely CM (who didn't have a clue) at the first enntrance were there no others, or signs or something telling everyone Fantasmic was full. People
    were getting a tad upset. Of course no one was allowed to stand and watch so we just headed out but droves of ppl were still coming in. When we reached the exit, still there weren't any signs and the same lonely CM didn't know it was full.

Has this ever happened to anyone else, or was it just a fluke?

Last edited by CuteAsMinnie; 03-15-2012 at 09:51 AM. Reason: Typos
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

90 minutes before? I have never heard of this happening before. They don't usually let anyone even in the front entrance until about an hour before showtime.

The only explanation I am coming up with is that it was a night with 2 shows, and you got there early enough where the first show was just getting ready to start and everyone was already seated....other than that, i'm not sure!
    "por favor mantengase alejado de las puertas!"

"There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of every day!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CuteAsMinnie View Post
    It was late June. It was HOT. We haven't seen Fantasmic in a few trips so we planned our day at DHS around this. We chose not to do the dinner package for whatever reason. We arrived at the Fantasmic entrance about 90 minutes before show time. We walked alllll the way to the stands which OMGosh must be almost a mile further down (maybe). Here, and only here, at the stands, at the seating area were there a slew of CMs telling everyone there were

1- NO seats left...none...90 minutes before the show starts.
    Okay, fine, but

2- why, except for one lonely CM (who didn't have a clue) at the first enntrance were there no others, or signs or something telling everyone Fantasmic was full. People
    were getting a tad upset.
    3- Of course no one was allowed to stand and watch

4- so we just headed out but droves of ppl were still coming in.

5- When we reached the exit, still there weren't any signs and the same lonely CM didn't know it was full.

6- Has this ever happened to anyone else, or was it just a fluke?
    1- That can happen dozens of times a year.

2 & 4 & 5- Sometimes it fills so quickly that they don't have time to get the word
    to the front F! gate.
    Or, they could have been a bit careless that night.

3- That's generally not true. They do have two standing room areas.
    They may have been FULL (or pre-booked) by the time you got there, of course.

4- Yup.

5- Yup. Sad.

6- I would not categorize this as a "horror,"
    (I reserve that for something that involves something more serious than missing
    a show)
    but that may have been the way you see it.

Post Thanks / Like

No, I've never had this happen, but I've only been to Fantasmic about three times and have always done the dinner package. Just curious--did you let the CM at the front entrance know that seating was full? Or tell anyone going in (although they may not have believed you for whatever reason)?
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Fantasmic is still wildly popular. One trip we waited the two hours before show time about 3 or 4 times. Love Fantasmic! But, the waits got to us, so we've skipped in in recent years.

Disney then decided that it was too expensive to show nightly, which makes it even harder to get a seat. I presume that now that it's nightly, things have let up a little, but still you never know.

I have always suggested a two hour arrival time, I know others say an hour, but as you saw, it isn't enough many times. Worst case, you get a better seat by arriving early. There's no harm in being proactive...

Post Thanks / Like

We visit during the summer months when Fantasmic is presented twice each evening.

I've never attended the first showing as we want to avoid the long waits that I've read about here. The second presentation is less popular and the stadium is generally about half full. It's very easy to stroll in about 15 minutes before show time and snag decent seats. Quite often, the sections that were "reserved" during the first showing for Dining plan guests are not even used for the 2nd show as they are some of the least desirable areas of the arena.

Another tip - lines for the big rides (Tower, Aerosmith, Midway Mania) get very short while the 1st showing of Fantasmic is under way. Another reason to avoid the rush and go later.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes, we did tell people coming in as well as the cast member at the entrance. He was unaware of the situation.

Sorry for the use of the word 'horror.' Perhaps 'Fantasmic Experience' is more appropriate.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Just one of many reasons why I haven't seen Fantasmic in about a decade.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No, with all that walking at the end of a long day, I'd call it a horror ;-)

Post Thanks / Like

It's been at least 10-15 years since I last saw Fantasmic. Waiting for hours for a lackluster show isn't high on my list of priorities.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

We were there in mid june. We heard announcements on the PA that there were no seats avail. for the early showing so we didn't bother. There was another showing at 10.
    We ended up with front row center for that show. HOWEVER, Just as the steamboat was coming out they stopped the show due to lightning. Disney controls everything but the weather.
    1989 - Poly
    1990 - Fort Wilderness
    1991 - Port Orleans
    1996 - Dixie Landings
    2000 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2002 - Port Orleans Riverside
    2011 - Port Orleans French Quarter

C - completely
    U - useless
    B - by
    S - September

Post Thanks / Like

Pardon me, but Fantasmic! is "lackluster??!?!"
    That is positively the LAST word I would ever choose to describe this show, which is, without question, one of the most exciting, imaginative, mind-blowingly spectacular shows on planet earth. Period.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    Pardon me, but Fantasmic! is "lackluster??!?!"
    That is positively the LAST word I would ever choose to describe this show, which is, without question, one of the most exciting, imaginative, mind-blowingly spectacular shows on planet earth. Period.
    I have to agree.

For every "ho-hum" reviewer, there are (literally) thousands (tens of thousands... millions, really) of guests who feel the way we do about the show (it's spectacular!)

That's why you can count on the F! theater being full for hundreds of performances a year...
    and find dozens and dozens of posts similar to this one, year-after-year, complaining about the staggeringly large crowds.

The "reviews" (behinds in the seats) of F! are overwhelmingly positive.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Dopey's Girl View Post
    It's been at least 10-15 years since I last saw Fantasmic. Waiting for hours for a lackluster show isn't high on my list of priorities.
    Ahh, a kindred spirit!

Your choice of words is spot-on ... lackluster is exactly the word I'd choose for this snore fest!
    Ian ºOº

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

I only saw it once, but thought it was terrific. I was similarly blown away by the "Colors" show in DL (California Adventure). I have to wonder what kind of entertainment people are used to that they could find it "lacklustre" - seems a trifle jaded!

Post Thanks / Like

Obviously, I disagree with those of you who characterize Fantasmic! as "lackluster."
    A question to those of you who think this show is lacking....exactly what would you do to bring it up to your standards?
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

I love Fantasmic and can't wait for my kids to see it. Booked the dinner package at H&V and I hope it doesn't get rained out.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    Obviously, I disagree with those of you who characterize Fantasmic! as "lackluster."
    A question to those of you who think this show is lacking....exactly what would you do to bring it up to your standards?
    I'd turn it into the holiday edition of Reflections of Earth.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Post Thanks / Like

While I wouldn't characterize the show as lackluster, it doesn't have the "wow" factor for me that it does for some people. I think that many of the characters and effects are too far away to be fully appreciated and honestly I don't care for the focus on the villains (yes, I understand that good triumphing over evil is the main theme of the show).

I will say that Fantasmic in Disneyland is much more impressive to me--really seems up close and personal in that venue.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    While I wouldn't characterize the show as lackluster, it doesn't have the "wow" factor for me that it does for some people. I think that many of the characters and effects are too far away to be fully appreciated ...
    That's certainly one of my many complaints about the show.

Additionally:

• I find the wait to get in to see it absurd. I wouldn't wait that long (2 hours or more?? ) for any ride in the park, why the heck would I wait that long for a show! You can view Wishes or Reflection of Earth for 1/4 of the wait time and they're better shows, IMO.
    • The stadium seating is horrendous. Hard, cold metal benches for three hours or more? I think not.
    • I also found it incredibly dull to sit there and watch snippets movies I've already seen projected onto spraying water, thus making it very difficult to tell what's going on.

But I do realize people love it and I certainly don't begrudge their enjoyment of it. It's just not my cup of tea.
    Ian ºOº

Next trip:

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: