Quantcast Glen Keane Resigns

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Glen Keane Resigns

Surprised to not see this posted earlier.

Heres a copy of his resignation letter I grabbed from the Interwebs (cartoon brew website)
    March 23, 2012

Dear Colleagues and Friends of the Walt Disney Animation Studio,

After long and thoughtful consideration, I have decided to leave Disney Animation.

I am convinced that animation really is the ultimate art form of our time with endless new territories to explore. I can’t resist it’s siren call to step out and discover them.

Disney has been my artistic home since September 9,1974. I owe so much to those great animators who mentored me—Eric Larson, Frank Thomas and Ollie Johnston—as well as to the many other wonderful people at Disney whom I have been fortunate to work with in the past nearly 38 years.

Over these four decades I have seen so many changes, but the one thing that remains the same is that we all do this because we love it.

I am humbled and deeply honored to have worked side by side so many artists, producers and directors during my career here at Disney, and I am tremendously proud of the films which together we have created. I will deeply miss working with you.

With my most sincere and heartfelt good wishes for your and Disney’s continued artistic growth and success,

Glen
    Shocked!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow...!
    --Heff

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I hadn't heard. Bummer. Glen is an amazing animator. He brought life to my favorite dragon and my favorite mermaid. I'm looking forward to seeing what he does on his own.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

That is heartbreaking! Glen you will be missed.

I have always loved the 'old' style animation as opposed to CGI. To me that is true Disney and I was thrilled with The Princess and Frog, for just that reason.

It still breaks my heart to go through the Animation Studio in DHS and not see the Imagineers & Artists working in the studios.

That being said, I also understand that Walt was very cutting edge with his Vision and animation, and he may have tried CGI out, but I don't think he would have gone as completely as it has. IMO, I think Lasseter is the truest to Walt's vision these days.
    Shannon

~It's not the number of breaths you take, it's the moments that take your breath away~
    ~You should never take more than you give~ The Circle of Life

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I posted this on someone's FB page earlier, but it applies here as well ...

I'm pretty sure this is Glenn's way of saying, "You guys aren't cuttin' it anymore. Don't want my name associated with this dreck. Deuces."
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

It is sad to see Glen leave. Many years ago I interviewed him for a video I was producing. He was very kind and took the time to talk, even though he was very busy. I think if Disney was still making traditional style animated films he'd stay. Have to give a thanks to Glen for giving life to so many great characters over the years.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by EeyoresBestFriend View Post
    That is heartbreaking! Glen you will be missed.

I have always loved the 'old' style animation as opposed to CGI. To me that is true Disney and I was thrilled with The Princess and Frog, for just that reason.

It still breaks my heart to go through the Animation Studio in DHS and not see the Imagineers & Artists working in the studios.

That being said, I also understand that Walt was very cutting edge with his Vision and animation, and he may have tried CGI out, but I don't think he would have gone as completely as it has. IMO, I think Lasseter is the truest to Walt's vision these days.
    yea I miss the animators working there too
    BC 2
    WL CL 1
    AKL 4
    SOG 3
    POFQ 3
    POR 2
    CSR 4
    CBR 2
    Asp 3
    AS m 2
    POP 7
    12-13 WL CSR ASM
    3-14 POR, AS s Dolphin
    6-14 Us CSR
    1-14 Unv
    6-15 WL, SSR.
    11- 15. AOA, OKw
    7 16..CSR, FW, AKL, POR
    7 17..ASM, CSR, WL AKL club POP
    8 18 As sports, Pop
    DL 9-19
    DVC WL, CSR and idk 10-20

Post Thanks / Like

Something had to happen for after almost 40 years you just up and leave? That's strange. I have only been at my job for 7 years and even now I would have a had time leaving, and trust me it's not like I do anything worth while lol, I love my job, but I am not making a fortune and I am certainly not a stock brocker or anything, so something make me wonder. What would cause someone that has been at the same job for almost 40 years just up and resign? (I know the letter says he thought long and hard blah blah blah) But I would think after that much time invested in a career and job you love, what would have to happen for you to up and leave?

It definitely is a complete bummer he is leaving
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

It's a crying shame that most people here on Intercot don't even know who Glen is. It is a gut-wrenching tragedy that there is no place for him at the Disney Studios. He is a LEGEND, period.
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PeterPan View Post
    It's a crying shame that most people here on Intercot don't even know who Glen is.
    Because not a lot of folks here have replied? I certainly know who Glen is....he's Aladdin, and the Beast, and Ariel and Pocahontas and Rapunzel. He's Bil Keane's son. I'm very sad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Melanie View Post
    Because not a lot of folks here have replied? I certainly know who Glen is....he's Aladdin, and the Beast, and Ariel and Pocahontas and Rapunzel. He's Bil Keane's son. I'm very sad.

I haven't replied because I had nothing of value to add to the conversation. As a corporate world denizen, I know that sometimes corporate cultures change. Sometimes the wrong people stay and the wrong people leave and I have no idea how you fix that.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

It's a crying shame that most people here on Intercot don't even know who Glen is. It is a gut-wrenching tragedy that there is no place for him at the Disney Studios. He is a LEGEND, period.
    We know who Glen Keane is - The Little Mermaid, Aladdin, Beauty and the Beast, Tangled, Tarzan - to name a few of his creations - but honestly, what is lamenting his retirement here going to do? Nothing. Is it sad to see him go, yes. But this is his personal decision and my posting WOES to his leaving here won't change that decision or the direction that Disney may be heading.
    Katherine
    6/2015 POP Celebrating Youngest Son's HS graduation and my birthday.
    6/2012 POFQ Celebrating Daughter's HS graduation and my birthday
    01/2009 ASMu 20th anniversary
    12/2004 ASMu
    12/2001 POR
    12/1982 OffSite, 04/1987 OffSite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ian View Post
    I posted this on someone's FB page earlier, but it applies here as well ...

I'm pretty sure this is Glenn's way of saying, "You guys aren't cuttin' it anymore. Don't want my name associated with this dreck. Deuces."
    This was my exact thought as well!

Post Thanks / Like

Question

Why would you assume people "don't even know who he is?"

I know who he and, while I agree with you that it's a tragedy that a legend like him is leaving the company, I'm not sure why your post had to be preceded by that somewhat snarky comment.
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'll admit that I never heard of him before. I remember Billy, Dolly, Jeffy, and PJ... but not Glen.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

Default Glen Keane Resigns

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    Well, I'll admit that I never heard of him before. I remember Billy, Dolly, Jeffy, and PJ... but not Glen.
    LOL!

Thanks to the OP for letting s know about the resignation. 40 years is a long time to work anywhere. People resign (and retire) for a variety of reasons so it's all speculation.

Post Thanks / Like

This makes me sad But I think I remember hearing not too long ago that his contract was going to end soon and he wasn't sure about 1)if he would sign again or 2)he wasn't sure if they would ask him too.

A man with his talent won't be out of the business for long (if he's not flat-out retiring). He won't be with Disney, but I'm sure we will see his work soon.
    First Trip: 1986 at 6 mths. old!
    Latest Trip: February 2017

Next trip: October 1017

Stayed at: Caribbean Beach, POP Century, Wilderness Lodge, The Contemporary, The Polynesian, the Beach Club, the Yacht Club, Grand Floridian, Art of Animation, Disney DREAM

Post Thanks / Like

It's a crying shame that most people here on Intercot don't even know who Glen is..
    Nope...lots of us know who he is...and agree he is a master of his craft..but simply saw no compelling reason to post at the news of his resignation without further information as to his reasons for going.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I was going to tag this on the end of my last post, but my edit ability had already expired...but for those interested if you do a search on "50 most influential disney animators" you can find a pretty interesting read...Keane comes in at #7 from the writer's perspective.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

I think the surprise is a Disney Legend resigns with a carefully words resignation letter and doesn't even get a full page of comments, but rumors of possible plan to allow pre-ordering food drums up over 5 pages of opinion.

Strange ideed...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: