Quantcast NYC - Getting to the WTC Memorial Site from Port Authority bus station. Help!

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default NYC - Getting to the WTC Memorial Site from Port Authority bus station. Help!

Well our first real "Road Trip" is finally planned & booked! We're starting off with Niagara Falls, then moving onto NYC, and finally to Virginia Beach for some down time before coming home to reality!

I'm pretty good I think on our Niagara Falls plans, although if anyone has any advice, I'd certainly appreciate it! I have to admit, planning the NYC touring is kicking my butt! I can plan a WDW trip in nothing flat, but this trip is already kicking my butt & I've been researching for months. Apparently you need a reserved "timed" ticket (free) for admission to the WTC Memorial. I'm scouring the web trying to learn the best way to get there via subway or bus from Port Authority bus station. And how long I should plan for this commute! I'd appreciate any help on this & any advice as far as touring NYC!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I am not sure about the bus but the last time I took the E train from the Port Authority to the WTC station.

A cab will aslo bring you there.

Check out NYC.gov then click ib the visitors tab then look for the link on the left for transportation.

I hope that helps.

Good luck
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

From Port Authority Bus Terminal

42 St - Port Authority Bus Terminal

From 42 St - Port Authority Bus Terminal
    Take the E toward WORLD TRADE CENTER

Travel 7 stops

Exit WTC

Travel time is about 20 mins

Recent Trips:
    -OKW Aug 16 - Aug 23 / Royal Pacific Resort Universal Studios Aug 23 - Aug 26, 2013
    -Universal Studios Hard Rock Hotel Nov 14 - Nov 18, 2014
    -Saratoga Springs June 11 -18 2016

Next Trip:
    -Port Orleans Riverside / Saratoga Springs Sept 8 - 17, 2017

BelleBeauty Guest

Once you get out of the subway station downtown there are signs inside the station that point you towards the WTC 9/11 Memorial. You will also most-likely see the line as soon as you get above ground.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, not a NYC expert here. I have been there many times and will be there on April 25th again, but I can't give you any advice.

I remember when you were trying to put this trip together so I am interested in your itinerary. What stops and atrractions did you decide to do?
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Hey all, thanks so much! I've really put a lot of time & work into this trip! It's amazing after all the WDW trips, I can plan those in a minute & the beach - well easy peasie, this trip - Wow - just WOW! I'm super excited, but it's alot of planning as I know nothing!

I'm really wanting the Subway experience, so I was thinking that the trip from Port Authority bus terminal to the WTC memorial would be a great time to get this in. We'll be staying in Secaucus, NJ, motorcoaching in to PA daily, still a steal all in all! Problem is you need a reserved advance - "TIMED" ticket for the memorial! WOW! That's more strict than a FP! I've read soo many blogs, NYC's transpo sites, maps, etc! It looks like we have several choices! I'm just trying to decide what's the best choice. I've read we can take the E train from PA to Church St. I've also read we can walk from P.A. to Penn Station & catch the E train there. Why would we do that if we can catch it at P.A.? Can we catch it at P.A.? Oh my gosh, this is the only thing that's really stressing me out, since we have to reserve a "Timed ticket"!

mgmnut - Thank you so much! Can you share any info on the P.A terminal & where we'll be arriving on our motorcoach & where we need to go to catch the E train? I've tried looking at the maps of P.A. & I've read blogs, I'm still seeing that we're going to be depending on the helpfulness of our hosting New Yorkers to figure out where we are & how to get where we need to be! The Port Authority terminal looks huge with 3 levels! I'm just hoping for good signage & super nice peeps right now!

From the WTC site, I'm planning on us walking a few blocks, as there are several things in that are on our list! After that I'm hoping it'll be easy, (I've made notes of bus info) to hop on a bus & get us a little more in town for the rest of our walking tour, NY Public Library & Grand Central probably first stops coming back in. I'm planning on walking the rest & then we'll deal with busses again the next day to get to one of the museums. I'm planning to cross Central Park via 79th to get to the other museum & afterwards explore the park a bit, I have lots of notes! But any & all advice is very much appreciated!

NJGirl, Oh I've missed chatting with you about our trip! We've finally simplified it a bit! We're heading to Niagara Falls first for 2 nights, one full day, hitting all the hilights there. Then driving to NJ, stopping in Scranton still at the Mall at Steamtown for that pic of The Office sign. The detour will cost us an an hour at most but if all goes as planned, will repay in threefold with the giggles! We're staying in NJ! Great deals to be had there, wow ,suites, free on site parking, free hot continental breakfast, motor coach stop across the street - $8.00 bucks round trip to NY for like half the price of NYC hotels!

We're planning all the popular tourist spots in NY, I've added a day as I want to spend a couple of hours in The Met & The AMNH! When we leave we'll be visiting the S of L via Liberty State Park in Jersey & then heading to VA Beach for a couple of days to relax before heading home!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Shari, sounds like a fantastic trip. Have a great time and make sure to give us trip reports when you get back!

BTW most Federal Tourist spots require timed tickets. Independence Hall, Hoover Dam are a few off the top of my head. Using them is not too bad, but make sure you order them way in advance because once they are all spoken for you are out of luck. My son's teacher tried to get them for the WTC 2 months in advance and couldn't get them.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, WOW! I hadn't thought of them running out of the tickets! Thanks for the heads up, I'm going to get on that part in the next week and make sure that's taken care of before we wait too long! I'll definitely post something, maybe my first ever trip report! You've just given me an idea, I think I'll keep a log/journal of our trip, so I don't forget stuff since we'll have so much going on!

Thanks for everything!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping a journal is a great idea. I do a scrap book of every trip we take and will someday pass them on to my son. They are so much fun to look back on. IMO a little more interesting than just pictures. The journal can be passed on to your kids when they get older.

Also another tip....most times when you get tickets in advance you don't stand in the "regular" long line to pick them up that day. I have always gone to the "will call" line which has always been much shorter. When you order your tickets ask them which line you have to stand in to get them.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Rita, Good tip on the pre-ordered/purchased tix! I'll ask that Q for sure!

I did scrapbook one of our WDW trips & I love that book! Good idea tho, since I have 2 DS's I definitely need to scrap book another one!

My DM always journals all of her trips, and I know she really enjoys looking back on those daily experiences. I don't know why I've not done it before! But this trip I'm going to try to find time every night to jot down the days experiences!

Thanks for all the great advice!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Found this info regarding the E Train at PA.

Walk towards the 8th Avenue entrance of the Port Authority bus terminal. Use the escalator down and continue straight ahead for the subway. You will see signs indicating the various subway lines available. The E is in a blue circle.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

VWL Mom, this is my exact question! Okay, I've read in several forums to take the E train. So I think that's what I'll plan to do, but that brings about the next level of my quandry!

Are there subway platforms actually in the Port Authority bus terminal? Or do I need to exit the P.A. & walk across the street as the CM (hehe) at the hotel where we're staying has instructed us to do? I've spent an unbelievable amount of time just trying to figure this out! The public transpo in NYC must be utterly amzing - as the choices seem endless!

Thanks for your help!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

There are subway platforms under PA. I'm assuming she told you to walk across 41st to the North Terminal and then go down to subway level? I'd go with what she/he told you.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Dont worry too much about the "timed" WTC tickets we were just there last month. They allow I believe about a half hour window after your time. You will go into a building and they have the scanners (just like at the airport) for bag checks. Make sure to stop into the WTC information and store, they have a short film and a motorcycle on display that was built for the memorial by Paul Jr of Orange County choppers.
    "A dream is a wish your heart makes"
    Upcoming trips
    March 2013 for Garden Festival
    October 2013 Food and Wine!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by luvDaMouse View Post
    Dont worry too much about the "timed" WTC tickets we were just there last month. They allow I believe about a half hour window after your time.
    I am not doubting you, especially since I have never been there, but I just think you should be careful because you never know if that is the norm. I have been to other federal timed ticketed attractions that have been very strick. Hoover Dam was one of them.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

OK, guys, gosh I soo apreciate all of the help. I'm going to guestimate a generous arrival time for our WTC tickets, we can do some site seeing in the area if we're early, but I don't want to be late & not allowed access.

And from all the feedback here & what I was told by the CM () I will do as she instructed & catch the subway across the street from P.A. & put my fears to rest.

I'm sure many people plan/or not their trips to NYC & other destinations without nearly as much planning & nuerosis as I, without so much as a hiccup in their "plans". I know I'm nuerotic! My name is Shari & I'm a notorious planner! But weird as it may be, I actually enjoy it!

My fellow Intercotees, I'm sure YOU understand my planning to a T! You guys are just awesome! I don't know what I did before I found Intercot!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Shari.........lol

Anyway, I think that Disney is one of the easiest trips to plan. IMO most other trips do require alot of planning. What I have personally found through the years of traveling is that if you don't plan and look into things ahead of time you miss out on alot. I learned the hard way early on. We came home from our honeymoon cruise to three different islands and people said "did you do this" and "did you do that" and I was like "I didn't even know that was there". After that I started researching every trip in order to get the most out of it. Since then, I have never come home from vacation feeling we were missing out on something.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by NJGIRL View Post
    Hi Shari.........lol

Anyway, I think that Disney is one of the easiest trips to plan. IMO most other trips do require alot of planning. What I have personally found through the years of traveling is that if you don't plan and look into things ahead of time you miss out on alot. I learned the hard way early on. We came home from our honeymoon cruise to three different islands and people said "did you do this" and "did you do that" and I was like "I didn't even know that was there". After that I started researching every trip in order to get the most out of it. Since then, I have never come home from vacation feeling we were missing out on something.
    Rita, MY thoughts EXACTLY! This makes me think of our 1st WDW trip! Four parks in four day, with 4 & 6 year old DS's & no breaks! I was so sad when our trip was over that we weren't staying longer & didn't have enough time for everything we realized we had to choose from! Mind you, I had read the offical Guide & got advice from friends that had been, but once we arrived I realized that what I knew barely scratched the surface! After that trip I have become a nuerotic vaca planner! No way will I ever again spend our vacation & hard earned money & venture to unfamiliar territory without doing my homework & having the knowledge of what our choices are! I DON'T want to come home knowing we missed out on something great because of our lack of knowledge! (Ignorance! - not stupidity mind you! )

LOL I can plan a WDW trip in nothing flat, but, mind you I've spent lot of time over the years learning what are choices are! This trip, wow, three destinations mean an awful lot of work! And NYC alone - WOW! I have been working on this trip for almost a year off & on. I want to be as well informed as possible to all of our choices, so we can make the right choices for our family!
    And on a side note, I have 2 teen DS's, so I have no life of my own, so I really enjoy planning our trips!
    I love my Intercot support group!

And you Rita, have been a huge help & great listener while I've planned this trip!
    Shari

'02 - All Star Movies

'13, '21 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tink#64 View Post
    And you Rita, have been a huge help & great listener while I've planned this trip!

Awe, thanks, that's so nice of you! I really do enjoy hearing about others planning and trips. It opens my eyes to what else is out there and gives me new ideas for our future travel. I think you are going to have a great time.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Apparently you need a reserved "timed" ticket (free) for admission to the WTC Memorial.
    Thanks for this heads up. I just reserved ours yesterday. Again, thank you.

Hey all, thanks so much! I've really put a lot of time & work into this trip!I'm really wanting the Subway experience, so I was thinking that the trip from Port Authority bus terminal to the WTC memorial would be a great time to get this in.
    in.
    Sounds like your hard work is paying off and you will be enjoying a very nicely full and planned trip. We plan to do the tourist spots as well. You mentioned the NY Library? My DD would love that. Maybe I will look into that. But we did the Subway on our last quick visit to China Town. And we plan to do the WTC site as well. Central Park and Grand Central are on our list as well. There's a nice restaurant at GC that we want to try.
    Offsite...(12/97 & 10/99)
    DL...(10/02 & 5/05)
    CBR/Disney Wonder 2004, AllStar Music 2004, AKL 2006, POP 2006, POP 2007, Poly 2007, BWI 2007, WL 2008, CSR 2009, Poly 2009, CBR 2010, AKL 2011...

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: