Quantcast More specifics about GAC

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default More specifics about GAC

Is there an alternative entereance to the Haunted Mansion that my son's GAC would allow us to use? He's ASD with some SPD and ADHD thrown in. He would love to ride it but we had to leave the room in the beginning immediately because of his claustrophobia, and that was before it was dark or the doors were closed. I think he'd be ok on the ride itself as he's fine on Peter Pan, Pooh and others, but getting to the ride proved to be a disaster.

Are there other rides with alternative entrances? We've avoided a lot of rides in the past due to the claustrophobic lines and pre-show areas. Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

Miraculously it is still his favorite place on Earth even though it has scared the you-know-what out of him on more than one occasion. He keeps begging to go again... little does he know he'll be there in a couple of weeks!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The alternative line to HM leads you right through the stretching room. You might be able to talk to the CM to see if you can bypass it and head straight toward the line. However, do note that the entrance is through a dark hallway and you often have to wait until the previous group clears the stretching room, so it might not be of much help at all.
    Ellen
    INTERCOT Staff: Dining, Disney Cruise Line, Guests with Special Needs

Next up:
    Christmas with the Mouse
    President's Week 2013

Post Thanks / Like

Talking

I am pretty sure they can put you on the ride where everyone gets off avoiding the whole crowd mash up after the streching room.

Same place they put wheelchair bound people on.
    1977 FW, 1990 CBBR, 2000 POR,
    2006 ASM, 2007 ASM, 2008 GF
    2009 POP, 2010 ASM, 2010 POP
    2012 POP

POP AGAIN! 2013

Post Thanks / Like

I have heard anecdotal evidence that they will NOT let you bypass the stretching room. I've had a few people share that experience with me. My son is extremely claustrophobic, and we use a GAC too, and we just avoid this ride altogether. In addition to the stretching room, the ride OFTEN stops and you end up in a claustrophobic situation in a stopped car because it's so dark. That happened to us once and our son lost it. I suggest that you use child swap if the adults in the party want to ride this one.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, this ride may be shelved until later. I think he'd be ok on the ride even if it stopped, but the area after the shrinking room might be a problem.

Any advice for other rides? We'll be hanging out mainly in MK this trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Your son is going to be 5, right?

I would suggest the outdoor rides at MK, predominantly. We have two boys, 6 and almost 8 now. The older one has Autism and the younger one, SPD. We do best at MK with:

Teacups
    Tomorrowland Speedway
    Dumbo
    Carousel
    Small World
    Jungle Cruise
    Tiki Room
    Astro Orbiter
    Goofy's Barnstormer
    Swiss Family Treehouse

I would recommend you AVOID the TTA. While it seems innocent enough, the portion where you go through Space Mountain is PITCH BLACK dark and pretty long. My son got VERY anxious in there and he refused to ride the TTA later in the trip. I thought he'd love it since it's a train, but not so much. This was the older son that had the issue (the one who has claustrophobia). We have had a similar response to Pirates of the Caribbean. I'd also avoid Tom Sawyer Island. Too many dark, enclosed caves.

I'd also recommend avoiding the Seas with Nemo RIDE portion. The queue is claustrophobic and neither of my boys enjoyed the ride at ALL. All we heard was "I want to get off now" over and over again. We go in now through the exit and just look at the fish in the aquariums. Also avoid Imagination ride at Epcot. Sensory nightmare for sensitive kids (darkness, loud noises, weird smells, blasts of air, etc.)

To be honest, Epcot is our kids favorite park, hands down. They would spend all their time there if we let them. There is a lot of great visual and hands on stuff there that ASD kids seem to love. Don't discount it. Plan to spend some time there. Our older son's VERY favorite thing in all of WDW is Spaceship Earth and The Great Piggy Bank Adventure in Innoventions. It's a tie, as far as he's concerned!
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

We also have a son who cannot handle the stretching room. Let the CM know and they will allow you to enter through an alternate entrance(it may be the exit) and meet up with the rest of your party if they choose to go through the stretching room. We have done this on many occasions! No worries!

Have a magical trip!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

They don't always do that anymore, though
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by joanna71985 View Post
    They don't always do that anymore, though
    That's what I've been hearing as well. Unless you are in a wheelchair, they won't let you bypass the stretching room. Not sure why, but perhaps its due to limited space in that loading area.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    That's what I've been hearing as well. Unless you are in a wheelchair, they won't let you bypass the stretching room. Not sure why, but perhaps its due to limited space in that loading area.
    Even in a wheelchair they have you go through the stretching room. Wheelchairs are the last to enter the stretching room and last to exit the stretching room. Then they are taken to the connecting hallway to the exit loading area. I was there in Feb and was treated rather unkindly (during the KttK tour) by a CM for entering the stretching room with the other guests. I was not informed I should enter last.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    Even in a wheelchair they have you go through the stretching room. Wheelchairs are the last to enter the stretching room and last to exit the stretching room. Then they are taken to the connecting hallway to the exit loading area. I was there in Feb and was treated rather unkindly (during the KttK tour) by a CM for entering the stretching room with the other guests. I was not informed I should enter last.
    Well, this explains it then. I was unaware that they were having wheelchairs enter the stretching room, but that makes sense now as to why they won't allow anyone to bypass it.

I know when we did the KTTK tour a few years ago, we went in "the back way". We did NOT go in the stretching room, and we entered with a bunch of people in wheelchairs who were waiting. I guess this has changed.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

When I was there with my son in October, he is autistic, we were able to bypass the stretching room and go straight to the exit to get on the ride.
    LYNN

Post Thanks / Like

Not quite sure about some of the info as well - last two times to DW we entered with our GAC through the EXIT - no stretching room involved at all.
    Dec 2013 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2012 - Wilderness Lodge
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Nov 2011 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2010 - Wilderness Lodge
    Jun 2008 - Wilderness Lodge - Yippee!
    Feb 2007 - Wilderness Lodge
    Dec 2005 - Wilderness Lodge
    Feb 2004 - All Star Sports
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

This thread is a perfect example of Disney CM inconsistency at its best.

OP, you should try to ask if you can bypass the stretching room. You will either be able to or not. Perhaps find a time to ask when you are NOT with your child, in order to mitigate any potential disappointment if the answer is not what you want to hear.

I have been told twice (once at DL, once at WDW) that our GAC would not allow us to bypass the stretching room. I understand why at DL, as you cannot enter through the exit there. However, I KNEW you could at WDW because we did it on our tour, but the CM there told me the GAC would allow us to use the FP line, but we HAD to go through the stretching room. So, we scratched that ride off our list.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

The last time we were there, in Aug 2011, we were able to do it. Trust me when I tell you, the last thing the CM's want is a child having a meltdown because they didn't handle a simple request. If one CM tells you no, ask to speak to another. I have NEVER been refused a request when it comes to my sons needs. I'm pretty sure we were brought through the exit.
    In this instance I don't think it's Disney who has the inconsistency issue. It has to do with people who have never had the experience, but have heard 'stories' of people being denied. When you get the GAC, specifically ask how you should handle the Haunted Mansion. They should be able to give you the most accurate information and let you know how you should approach the situation.
    Good Luck!
    Debbie
    Feb 87- off site/Nov 98-Poly
    98- Disney Magic Inaugural Cruise
    Jul 03-off site
    Sept 05/Aug. 11/Nov '20 -Pop Nov 08-POR
    Aug 09/May 10-ASMu
    Nov. 09-Disneyland/California Adv.
    Aug. 12- OKW
    Aug 13 SS
    Oct 14 AKL/AoA
    Oct. 18 POP
    Aug 19- Movies

Post Thanks / Like

Trust me - with an alternate entrance stamp if they tell you to go through regular line (left) tell them no you want to go through the exit to the right.
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dizneydeb22 View Post
    Trust me when I tell you, the last thing the CM's want is a child having a meltdown because they didn't handle a simple request.
    I agree with your line of thinking. We'll ask and see.

I'm just bursting, we're super excited to take him in a couple of days. His first trip was when he was 2.5 and his brother was 5mo so it was like he was an only child because he got to pick everything and he just smiled the whole time. Every trip since then he has to share everything with his brother so it'll be nice to give him this time to be an only child and be in charge of (almost) everything. Can you tell I'm the oldest in my family? No flames please, we're planning on doing the same for our youngest when he turns five in two years and his birthday is over the 4th of July holiday so he'll get some pretty cool fireworks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    This thread is a perfect example of Disney CM inconsistency at its best.
    I think the problem is that some posters are relaying their experiences from before the queue was updated. My legs are paralyzed so I've been through the HM probably a hundred times using the alternate entry. In the past you left the main line at a gate near the carriage (outside the building), but now they direct everyone through the regular line, through the stretch room and at that point they separate mobility-impaired guests or guests with other issues from the regular line.

There may still be instances where guests go in the back way and bypass the stretch room, but my experience since the queue update has been that everyone goes through the same line and everyone goes through the stretch room.

Post Thanks / Like

Have a great time TDK and I bet you will...don't forget if you ever do end up in the stretching room stay on he wall under the lady about to be eaten by the alligator - it's the door.
    Mar 2012 - AKL
    Dec 2000 - Offsite
    Dec 1996 - Offsite

Post Thanks / Like

....interesting topic / thread...and there's a whole lot of good info here.

Although I'm trying to make it such that I don't need to deal with a GAC for myself for this August's trip to WDW (just ruptured my plantar fascia ligament..and HOPE to be well by then)...it's going to be my (16 yr old) nephew's first trip to WDW. Being that he's ASD....the Haunted Mansion, Ellen's Energy Adventure, Spaceship Earth, and POTC are rides/attractions that immediately came to mind. He usually is wearing headphones and playing a handheld video DS game...but the "in the dark experiences"....are the ones that concerned me. I'm trying to get any insight I can...from wherever...to help out when we're all there in August.
    April '04- POP
    "Jersey Week" '04 - ASM
    "Jersey Week" '05- POP
    "Jersey Week" '06- POP
    "Jersey Week"'07- DCL & POP
    "Jersey Week" '08- POP
    Dec '09- Jan '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '10- POP
    Aug-Sept '11- POP
    Aug-Sept '12- POP
    Aug-Sept '13- POP
    Aug '17 - POP