Quantcast Fantasmic - East vs. West

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasmic - East vs. West

Has anyone seen Fantasmic at both DL and WDW?

I enjoy Fantasmic but it's not a "must-see" favorite. We are WDW passholders headed to DLR -- is Fantasmic any different there? Should we make a point to see it, or not spend the time? My least favorite thing about it is the stupid amount of time you end up spending sitting around the stadium after you get there early enough to get a seat within two zip codes of the stage....

If we do go, any idea what we can get away with in terms of arriving early? Do we have to go an hour ahead or more to get a seat?

Thanks...
    FL Resident Annual Passholder since 2005
    Charter Member, D23
    DVC May 2014 - Villas at Grand Floridian
    Castaway Club Gold (7 cruises, #8 April, 2023)

"There is nothing we do here that is not creative.
    There is nothing creative that we do not do here."
    --WDI

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I seen the show at both WDW and Disneyland many times. If you've only seen it at WDW then seeing it at Disneyland is a MUST! You will not be disappointed.

The best place to see it, without paying extra for a dessert seat is to get there early enough to sit in the center seating area. There are no bleachers at Disneyland, so you will be sitting on the ground.

People tend to get there early, but you could probably arrive an hour to 90 min before and find a place to sit in the seated area. You will be very close.

If there are two shows, see the second show, much less crowded, and easier to get a seat in the center area without having to wait so long.

On several occasions I've watched the fireworks from the hub near the castle (left side near Frontierland) then worked my way through the crowd to get a very nice sitting area for the 2nd showing of Fantasmic.

If you choose that option, don't be afraid you won't get a seat. There is no need to stop and find a place to the right of the stage. There will be areas to sit, dead center for that 2nd show. It just make take a little while to work through the crowds ... and you won't be two zip codes away.

The key is to be near the castle to the left, so you can easily leave the fireworks and go straight through Frontierland to the Rivers of America to view Fantasmic.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

I agree that you should shoot for the second show if they have one. The last time I saw it I was just coming out of Pirates when the first show finished. As people left I was able to walk up to within two rows of the front and sit down. I don't remember how long I needed to wait before the show started, but it wasn't that long. A word of warning, Disney crews won't really have time to clean up the messes people leave behind. I almost stepped in a puddle of melted ice cream, and about ten feet away someone had left a dirty diaper on the ground. Who does that?!?!?

I have honestly seen people spreading out blankets at 4:00 in the afternoon to get a good spot for the 9:30 show. That's just crazy and a waste of good park time. Avoid the first show if you can.
    Aryn

I am the rebel spy.

Post Thanks / Like

Disneyland's Fantasmic is AMAZING. It's so much better than WDW's version that I don't even understand how they can CALL the WDW version the same name. It's an insult.

Definitely a "must do" at DLR. Don't worry too much about getting there super early. Try for the second showing, if there will be one, and go get your spot while everyone else is on Main Street watching the fireworks (try to see the fireworks on a different day).
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Default Fantasmic East vs. West

Thanks for the info, even though I didn't ask the question, I will be there in 20 days so it was very helpful, I have seen WDW Fantasmic several times, this will be 1st time at Disneyland.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been holding this in since my trip to WDW in December. Fantasmic was a huge disappointment there. Didn't want to offend anyone. Fantasmic at WDW was in the too hard to do column! Packed in like sardines, CM's yelling at you like your cattle, and everyone gets up to leave before the end so you can't see! Not to mention not seeing the Mark Twain coming around the bend. DL-goosebump city. WDW-a lot of work and no goosebumps!

Post Thanks / Like

Been to both DL 3/09 last & WDW 6/11 My vote is WDW or has DL changed/referb Fantasmic in the past 3yrs ?

Heading back to DL this sept.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post
    Been to both DL 3/09 last & WDW 6/11 My vote is WDW or has DL changed/referb Fantasmic in the past 3yrs ?

Yes! They HAVE changed Fantsamic in the past 3 years. There's a new animatronic firebreathing dragon. A cool one, not a puppet looking thing.
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Silver_Surfer View Post

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Yes! They HAVE changed Fantsamic in the past 3 years. There's a new animatronic firebreathing dragon. A cool one, not a puppet looking thing.
    Plus you can't beat the two ships used at Disneyland. Hard not to laugh when you see what the characters ride out on at WDW.
    Chris °O°
    DISNEYLAND AP - First visit 1969

WALT DISNEY WORLD - First visit 1985
    HONG KONG DISNEYLAND - First visit 2005
    SHANGHAI DISNEYLAND - First visit 2016
    DISNEY DREAM CRUISE - First Cruise March 2019
    FUTURE + WORLD SHOWCASE = EPCOT (Favorite WDW park)

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you guys make it sound GREAT! Cant wait, Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    Plus you can't beat the two ships used at Disneyland. Hard not to laugh when you see what the characters ride out on at WDW.
    Ha ha...the word "LAME" always pops into my head...
    Natalie

Post Thanks / Like

Another vote for Disneyland's version!
    I'm not bad. I'm just drawn that way.

Post Thanks / Like

Yet another vote for the Disneyland version. They really are two different types of shows. One has an area designed specifically for it and with all of that possibility it just misses the mark (IMHO). The other is the original. Sure it can be a challenge to get a good spot depending on the time of year. It is well worth either springing for the desert viewing area or taking the time out of your trip to ensure good seats for it.

I am going for one of the AP 20th Anniversary nights. Looking forward to it.

Disney fan....yesterday, today and always!

Sometimes we all need a bit of magic.

433 miles away from Disneyland!
    2,836 miles away from Walt Disney World!

Post Thanks / Like

I haven't seen the WDW (thanks for the tip...I won't waste my time).

But I do LOVE the DL one. Definitely the 2nd show is less crowded and you can get a great seat once the 1st one ends so that you don't have to sit and wait too long.
    WDW 2012
    Disneyland 2011
    Disneyland 2009
    Disneyland 2003
    Disneyland 1993
    Disneyland 1992

Post Thanks / Like

Default Dessert Package?

First of all, I apologize if I have posted in the wrong area. It has been a few years since I've been here so I won't be offended if this gets "bumped" to the proper forum

I'm returning to Disneyland after a 4+ year absence. I'm taking my daughter and my girlfriend so I wanted to make it special..so I reserved Premium Viewing seats for Fantasmic.

After doing so, I've read mixed reviews. I'm not really concerned about getting my money's worth; I'm more concerned about the quality of the viewing.

Can you regular's give me your opinion and any tips a rusty DL visitor might need for August?

Thanks to All!!

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 2Epcot View Post
    I laughed at Mickey in a "Golf Cart" boat at the end of the WDW version. So much better at Disneyland!

Quote Originally Posted by CogsworthWest View Post
    I'm returning to Disneyland after a 4+ year absence. I'm taking my daughter and my girlfriend so I wanted to make it special..so I reserved Premium Viewing seats for Fantasmic.

After doing so, I've read mixed reviews. I'm not really concerned about getting my money's worth; I'm more concerned about the quality of the viewing.

Can you regular's give me your opinion and any tips a rusty DL visitor might need for August?

Thanks to All!!
    We are also considering the Premium seating.

I have only seen the show from the Gallery Balcony, back when that used to be the premium seating.

I have heard that the new area is not as good, so any feedback from someone with first hand experience would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done the new premium seating -- and the old. I don't think it's the best place to see the show -- and it's really expensive now! The dessert box is yummy, free drinks and you don't have to wait with the crowd to see the show -- kind of worth it but honestly I am not sure I would spring for the premium again -- for $70 I would rather eat at Steakhouse 55.
    Michael aka: NotaGeek

INTERCOT Insider Live Podcast Staff
    WDW 1/6/16 - 1/11/16 - BRING ON THE COWBELLS!

Please s
    upport INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, my - Fantasmic! is INCREDIBLE at DL. The scene with the fighting on the ship... just... wow. Go.
    CMCTxMom

Next trips - Disney Cruise December 2013; WDW April 2014 offsite

Previous trips:
    BC Club level June 2013
    BCVillas Jan. 2013
    DLR - 2010, 2011
    Offsite-2007
    CSR-2006
    Offsite DLR, CA-2003
    Disneyland Paris - 2001
    Beach Club - 2000
    Multiple trips in the '80s and '90s

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

Still debating sitting and waiting, or the premium seating. We will see the show, just not sure about the details yet. I want to make sure Ryan (who is seeing it for the first time) has a good experience, and we only have three days at the Resort, so time is an issue.

I have to wait till 30 days out to book, so I have a week to brew.

They quoted me $60 when I called, which is still expensive.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for your input everyone. I agree that $60 per person is expensive. My rationale was that I didn't want to camp-out to reserve seats and "waste" time not experiencing the park. I know the later showing of Fantasmic is not as crowded, but I'll be struggling to stay awake at that time so the earlier show is my only option. So, by paying the money, I can enjoy the park for a couple of extra hours before I need to check-in and I'll be awake to enjoy the show!

I will definitely report back and let you all know my thoughts!