Quantcast Mother's Day Luncheon Vent

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Mother's Day Luncheon Vent

OK. For those who complain how pricey TS and character meals are, here's one for you.

The cast: Me, DH, DS4, DS1, SIL, BIL and MIL.

My BIL picked the restaurant, which was at the track (Monmouth Park Racetrack). When he's up visiting from Texas, he's at the track every day it's open, so it's no surprise that's what he's pick. Anyway, we eat there normally once a summer, and the food is decent and reasonably priced given the location. BIL said that there was a new owner of the track and they brought in a new restaurant vendor.

We'll, after traveling 2+ hours to get there (and packing for two kids for a day trip), since we now live in MD, we sit down and look at the menu. You could choose from about four different appetizers (like shrimp cocktail) and maybe six entrees (including French Toast). While perusing the menu, I finally saw at the bottom in tiny letters a price of $45, excluding tax and tip. Also, only until after the bill came did I find out that beverages were not included and cost $3 each. So if you had a soda and coffee, that's an extra $6 on top of the $45, so that's $51 for lunch BEFORE tax and tip. I actually said out loud a couple of times, "Forty-five dollars? For this? Forty-five dollars?"

They - MIL, BIL and SIL - had already eaten before we got there, or else I would have left as soon as I saw the prices. It's normal at the track that you get the table for while, that's why they ate before us. I was about to ask my SIL to take my son to get a hot dog (which is what he'd asked for anyway), but DH asked if there was a children's menu, which there was and they could get chicken fingers, or scrambled eggs, or something else. Of course, it wasn't until later that I found out that they cost $14. So my four-year old got chicken fingers and milk (an extra $3 - so now we're up to $17) and we paid $14 (plus tax and tip) for scrambled eggs for my 1 year-old. I had a chicken sandwich and DH had the salmon over salad greens.

So normal convention is that BIL shouldn't pay because mother's day was also his birthday, so my (now) poor husband picked up the tab at a final cost of $355 (including a mandatory 20% tip for parties of 6 or more, which wound up to be a $60 tip) for five adults and two children for lunch. I will never eat there again.

We went to two character breakfasts ('Ohana and CP) in November, so I'll pay for something when I think that it's worth it. But this was ridiculous. This meal would have paid for both 'Ohana and CP combined when we were there (four adults and one child over 3 for our last WDW visit). I'm still angry and I probably will be for quite a while.

I actually dislike going out for Mother's Day and Valentine's Day. I'd rather wait a week and have a better meal that's not overpriced and not crowded. So instead, I'm in a car for 4-5 hours and we paid for a ridiculously overpriced meal that was good, but not worth the price. Happy friggin' Mother's Day. They most enjoyment that I got out of the day was spending time with my boys and I could have done that at home. My mother and father actually visited us on Saturday and we had hot dogs and burgers on the grill at home. Both Mom and I were cool with that.

I'm not being unreasonable, am I?
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

All I can say is WOW!! I would be upset too.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

I'm with you on the Mother's Day letdown. Sorry yours went so badly, and overpriced. It doesn't sound like the day was about you at all, which is also usually my problem with Mother's Day. I'm a daughter, daughter-in-law, and a sister, too, and Mother's Day inevitably is about my mom, my mom-in-law, and my younger sister (she was born on a Mother's Day). And I love celebrating my mother, so that's fine.

But, in my case, our tradition has been to do Mother's Day Brunch at the campus restaurant of my alma mater (Willits Hallowell at Mount Holyoke College) and it's always lovely and very affordable. This year, my older sister wanted to host a barbecue at her vacation house and my mother-in-law also wanted us to come to dinner at her house. I'm still covered in rashes from the stress of leaving one to see the other and the inevitable family drama. I get stress rashes. I just wish we could go back to our brunch instead of visiting at people's houses. It's still not how I would choose to celebrate me if it was all about me, but it's pleasant and stress-free unlike this Mother's Day for me.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Ugh! My family asked if I wanted to go out yesterday and I opted to stay home and order sandwiches for lunch. LOL. I told them I appreciated the thought but we can go out another night. I told my own mom that as well, who was in complete agreement. I think Mother's Day, NYE, Christmas, Valentine's etc are all over priced when it comes to eating out. Especially the all you can eat brunches. I really don't want to pay upwards of $45 for eggs and waffles, but that's just me. Some places downtown Chicago are even more. Also, we're not big eaters so I know we never get our money's worth either.

Sorry your day was not that great!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh, I can't even imagine. I would have been really upset, too.

Post Thanks / Like

WOW...I don't mind paying for something as long as it's what I would like and worth the money. Sorry you had such a horrible experience.

My family asked what I wanted and we ate at my favorite hot dog place. 40.00 for 4 of us and it was just what I wanted...made me very happy.

I think you should get a do over...your way!

Post Thanks / Like

I agree mother's day brunches (and valentines dinners) are outlandishly priced. Around here we are lucky to find mothers day brunch for $45 per person.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry that you had to spend your Mothers' Day that way. I hope that next year you are able to get the nice quiet day that you want. We usually have an "un-Mother's Day" with my mom and MIL on an alternate weekend in May- perhaps you can do that next year?

Yes character meals are a little pricey, but from what I can tell, there aren't any "hidden" charges to them. I don't mind paying for something if I know about it beforehand. I think that is the part that bugs me most about your story. Most people will drink more than one cup of coffee out. And $14 for eggs for a one year old?!
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Oof. We do the Freehold track quite often in the summer (originally from coastal NJ). But we stick to the picnic areas and bring our own in.

That was ridiculous.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

1. We don't eat out on holidays, ever. Overpriced and too crowded to be enjoyable.

2. Mother's Day is a time I spend with my DH and kids. I appreciate my mom and all other mother's in my life, but now that I'm a mom I should get to enjoy my mother's day without catering to everyone else.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow, you do have a right to be upset, I would be too. My DH asked me if I wanted to go out for brunch on Mother's Day. I told him no. I, like youself, would rather stay home and enjoy the day with my DD. I don't like paying for overpriced food all for the sake of it being a holiday. We never go out for Valentine's Day or New Years for the same reason.

You should have a 'do-over' for Mother's Day! You didn't get to spend it the way you really wanted to.

Visits:
    1997 - day trip
    Sept. 2006 - WL
    May 2007 - WL
    May 2009 - WL
    May 2010 - WL
    May 2012 - WL
    May 2015- WL Girls Trip!!!
    May 2017 -POR Girls Trip!
    May 2018 - WL Girls Trip
    May 2019 - WL Girls Trip!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Princess'Mom View Post
    You should have a 'do-over' for Mother's Day! You didn't get to spend it the way you really wanted to.
    That sounds like a good idea.

The main thing was that the cost was unexpected and I would have rather eaten elsewhere for that price. To paraphrase a fellow Intercottee, it really steamed my cheese.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13

Post Thanks / Like

Nope, you aren't over reacting. And who's decision was it that your BIL shouldn't have to pay? Shouldn't that have been discussed beforehand? I really hate when other people make decisions about how I should spend my money, especially if I didn't have that much to play with! And since you are a mother as well, it should have been about you too! Next year spend it how you want to, and invite others to do it with you but make it clear to whomever where you are going and how the payment will be handled.

And I agree, you should get a do over. Unfortunately it will probably have to be a low budget do over since others spent your money for you.
    ºoºKathyºoº TimeShare 12-12
    GKTW June 2011,Off site Feb/March 2011
    Dolphin and POFQ 8/10
    POFQ Sept 08
    ASMu Aug-Sept 07
    Dolphin & CS-12/05. Mousefest & Dis Cruise
    Dolphin & POR July 04,WDW-Dolphin June 02Dolphin 6/2000
    Swan 6/99 -Dolphin March 98, March 94
    +many more times offsite

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    Nope, you aren't over reacting. And who's decision was it that your BIL shouldn't have to pay? Shouldn't that have been discussed beforehand? I really hate when other people make decisions about how I should spend my money, especially if I didn't have that much to play with! And since you are a mother as well, it should have been about you too! Next year spend it how you want to, and invite others to do it with you but make it clear to whomever where you are going and how the payment will be handled.
    I learned this the hard way. Years ago we went out to eat with my husband's family and some extended relatives (as in 12 of us, including two sets of aunts and uncles) for my in-laws anniversary. As the meal ended, my husband said to his parents that he wanted to pay for their meal since it was their anniversary. Immediately all the other members of our party chimed in with "Thank you so much, that is so nice of you!" Yes, they all jumped on the bandwagon to get us to pay for their meals too, including an aunt and uncle that are millionaires (and obviously also cheapskates). There was no graceful way for my husband to get out of it so we paid the humongous bill, but I was livid. Ever since when we go out with his family members, we make it clear ahead of time that we are all going dutch (unless we say otherwise).

I agree that it is much more relaxing on Mother's Day to dine at home. My husband usually makes something special on the grill, which suits me just fine.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PAYROLL PRINCESS View Post
    And who's decision was it that your BIL shouldn't have to pay?
    It was more of a propriety issue, you know. You don't ask someone to pay when it's their birthday.

And the thing is that this was the second mother's day in a row that stunk. Last year we had just moved not even a week earlier to a new state and I was just miserable. It was the second mother's day with my 16 month old and both mother's days to date since he was born have stunk, and that in itself stinks.

Next year I'll put my demands in early (which will probably involve people - except my kids - leaving me alone) and if someone has a problem with it, that's their problem.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13

Post Thanks / Like

I grew tired of paying way too much for lame food on Mother's day too. This year, we did a KFC picnic with dishes to pass. My loved it more than any restaurant and all the kids had fun running around.
    Jill

14 visits (WDW)
    Offsite: Caribe Royale,Best Western
    On: POFQ, CBR, BC, WL, Dolphin

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: