Quantcast Working in Disney for the summer

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Working in Disney for the summer

Hey all I have a few questions about working in Disney for the summer,

First off is it even possible for college kids to go to Disney for the summer and work?

Second off how do I go about doing this?

Third, will I be able to get housing since I'll only be 20?

Thanks!!
    My laughin' place is a doom buggy

12 times at the world and counting!
    Next trip: June 20 2013

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Yes, it's possible. You would need to do the Disney College Program (which includes housing). Google it and you will see the full application process. It's a great experience for College Students.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

It is possible to work just over the summer. However, to be seasonal, you will need to complete 150 hours to stay with the company. Also, you will need to find your own housing.
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

I thought the Disney program was for working in the summer but when I looked into it it talked about internships so I wasnt too sure thanks helping!

Post Thanks / Like

You don't have to do it through the Disney College Program. They hire people seasonally all the time. My cousins who live in Orlando have friends who work at all the theme parks seasonally, but their families live there. You'd have to pay for your own housing though. Essentially, you'd have to live down there, so it's not really worth it. You won't make any money doing it if you have to pay for housing, utilities, food, gas, etc. on minimum wage, part time.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    You won't make any money doing it if you have to pay for housing, utilities, food, gas, etc. on minimum wage, part time.
    Yeah, that's why I suggested the DCP since it provides some of those things. I don't think you could just do seasonal employment and survive. The only folks I know who do that are retired snowbirds doing it for fun and not the money.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by xo0ally View Post
    I thought the Disney program was for working in the summer but when I looked into it it talked about internships so I wasnt too sure thanks helping!
    Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Yeah, that's why I suggested the DCP since it provides some of those things. I don't think you could just do seasonal employment and survive. The only folks I know who do that are retired snowbirds doing it for fun and not the money.
    There is a program just over the summer. However, you have to do the full CP first to be able to do the program (it's just for CP alumni now). Also, they don't do it every summer- they aren't doing it this summer
    Cruises:
    Feb 12-16, 2012 (Dream), Oct 20-27, 2012 (Fantasy Eastern), Sept 8-12, 2013 (Dream) Jan 20-24, 2014 (Magic) Sept 14-18, 2015 (Dream) Sept 25-29, 2017 (Dream) Sept 22-29, 2018 (Fantasy Eastern) Sept 23-27, 2019 (Dream)

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help everyone it really cleared things up!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm Canadian so things are a little trickier as far as getting seasonal employment in the USA.

My mom has a place in Florida, not too far from WDW and she stays there 6 months out of the year just as snowbird. I'd like to do the same thing when I retire -- get a nice place in Florida to spend the winters, only I'd also like to get a seasonal job at WDW just for fun. I wonder if they sponsor Canadians to work there on a seasonal basis, or if they only hire US citizens...
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I'm Canadian so things are a little trickier as far as getting seasonal employment in the USA.

My mom has a place in Florida, not too far from WDW and she stays there 6 months out of the year just as snowbird. I'd like to do the same thing when I retire -- get a nice place in Florida to spend the winters, only I'd also like to get a seasonal job at WDW just for fun. I wonder if they sponsor Canadians to work there on a seasonal basis, or if they only hire US citizens...
    When I worked on the CP, I knew a couple Canadian CM's. More often than not, you'd become a cultural rep and work in the Canadian pavilion. It's similar to the CP, but its a year commitment.
    -Andy

Many trips to the world!
    Disney College Program alumnus Aug 2011-Jan 2012 Electric Umbrella in Epcot

Post Thanks / Like

Internationals don't have to only do the year-long program (there are shorter programs as well).
    Cruises:

Post Thanks / Like

Also - speaking as a Dad - the last of May is a little late to be inquiring about a summer job at Walt Disney World. Especially on the College Program. My daughter did this and it takes weeks if not months of planning to get the College Program under way. Plan ahead!
    "I wanted something alive, something that could grow. Something I can keep plussing with ideas. You see? The park is that. Not only can I add things but even the trees will keep growing. The thing will get more beautiful every year."

Walt Disney

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: