Quantcast Snakes and gators in the park

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Snakes and gators in the park

I'm just curious about something.

I am sure that being in Florida, snakes and gators are all over the Disney Area. I would assume in the more less populated, wild areas.
    At least i hope....lol

But as anyone actually had an experience w/ a Snake or gator in an actual park or resort area (lakes not included).

thanks.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I have seen a snake or two crossing the road in Fort Wilderness. Haven't ever seen one at a hotel, but I'm sure they are around. WDW was built in what you would basically consider a swamp. Critters are everywhere, but they do a good job keeping human contact with the dangerous and scary ones to a minimum.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

We have not seen any gators, but have seen snakes--one near Pirates and one at CSR. I think they do a good job of keeping the wild life at bay!

Post Thanks / Like

... let's not forget bear in the Lake Mary area...
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

We saw a gator in one of the ponds outside of the resort once. We were on the bus and the bus driver pointed it out. I believe we were staying at POP that time.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

I've seen plenty of snakes over the years. Closest and most startling encounter(s) were both at the water parks; once at Typhoon Lagoon heading toward the stairs at the Crush-n-Gusher, I practically stepped on a black snake that was about an inch in diameter and another time in a similar setting at Blizzard Beach heading toward the stairs to the Runoff Rapids slides.

No gators.

Coming up! WL Villas, August 2 - 9 2013

WL Villas Aug 9-16, 2010
    POR Aug 4-11, 2008
    POR Aug 22-29, 2007
    POR May 4-9, 2007
    POR - May 2006
    POFQ - Dec 2005
    POR - May 2005
    POFQ - May 2004
    OKW - May 2003
    AKL - May 2001
    CBR Annually 1995-1997

Post Thanks / Like

Ok, its time for my Disney gator story! Yea!

Here goes: About ten years ago I was at the Magic Kingdom with my wife early one morning. We caught the first ride of the day on the Liberty Belle (which I recommend, by the way) and as we were peacfully cruising along a gator swam up beside the boat. It was a pretty big one, between three and four feet long. Anyway, there was a couple next to us watching it and the wife said "Is that a real alligator???" The husband laughed and said "Of course not, this is Disney!" They actually thought it was part of the ride!

By the way, I told the CM on the bank about it when we got off and he said that he would call animal control. Apparently they get into the Rivers of America overnight and have to be removed...
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

On one trip, we saw a gator several times hanging around just under the boardwalk by Frontierland - pretty good sized critter as well.

The last time we stayed at Coronado Springs a gator came swimming up to the ouside lounge area and hung around in that general area for a while - probably a regular as folks were feeding him.

On our trip last month, we saw a gator twice - once one swam by by waterway (We were at the Beach Club) behind the bus stop and another day we saw - probably the same one - in a different area of the waterway over by the Beach Club building.

I don't recall seeing any snakes - have seen otters, armadillos, deer, lots of lizards, a huge owl, and a bald eagle.
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by faline View Post
    I don't recall seeing any snakes - have seen otters, armadillos, deer, lots of lizards, a huge owl, and a bald eagle.
    Us too! And bunnies! We see tons of bunnies! lol
    "There's a great big beautiful tomorrow shining at the end of every day..."

1973- Disneyland
    1981- WDW- OS
    1991- WDW- OS
    1995- WDW- CBR
    2000- WDW- DLR
    2001- WDW- ASM
    2009- WDW- POFQ
    2010 (November)-WDW POR
    2015 (December...with the grandkids)WDW ASM
    2019- WDW- POR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Stu29573 View Post
    Us too! And bunnies! We see tons of bunnies! lol
    Forgot about the bunnies - they seemed to be everywhere on our most recent trip!!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Many years ago on a trip with my parents we were staying Club level at the Poly. All of a sudden from our room we heard a women screaming, everyone rushes out and there is this snake slithering down the hall.

I kid you not when I tell you a man came running out of a room in his boxers with a gun.

Me, being the little know it all naturalist at the ripe old age of about 10 proceeded to pick it up and inform everyone it was a harmless garter snake. The receptionist women working club level even got me a balloon for saving the floor.

My family still talks about that one a good 16 years later.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

şoş

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Our most recent encounter was on our last trip to WL in 2010. We were waiting at the dock for the boat to MK and noticed something moving in the water. When we looked closer, there was a small gator (about 4-6 feet long) swimming about 15 ft.' from the side of the dock, just about 5 ft. from the shore. (And I have a couple of pictures, but can't figure out how to put them in this post.) When the boat arrived, another lady mentioned the gator to the boat captain and he said, "Oh yea, we see 'em all the time." (The captain also said he'd seen deer & large predator cats swimming across to Discovery Island.)

Later that night, we were sitting on the beach at WL watching the electric light parade and a couple was letting their small children (looked to be 3-4 years old) lean over the small edge wall to splash & play in the lake. A gentleman sitting near us politely told the couple that it wasn't safe to let the kids that close to the water, especially in the dark, due to gators. The couple laughed and said, "oh yeah, right...". At that point, I said, "Sir, excuse me but this isn't a joke or exaggeration. We saw a gator over by the boat dock earlier today." And what did the father do/say? "Oh well."

~Michelle~
    1980, 1983-1986, 1988, 1992, 1993
    1995 -Disneyland
    July 2001 -POFQ
    May 2006, May 2008, May 2010 -Wilderness Lodge
    Dec. 2011-Port Orleans Riverside
    Sept. 2012 - Port Orleans Riverside Royal Room
    May 11-25, 2013 - Polynesian Resort
    Next trip: Dec. 14-20, 2014 - Wilderness Lodge

Post Thanks / Like

1. Gators - we have seen two small gators at WDW, one was from the walkway looking down into lake at Coronado Springs, the other was while paddle boating at Caribbean Beach.

2. Snakes have been a bit more freqeunt though all but one have along the road...but the one that wasn't was inside the park (in some foilage by the sidewalk) at Typhoon Lagoon.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

We've seen gators in the lake by Shades of Green. They always seem to have a gator in that lake.

We've also encountered a few snakes. The first time was at CBR, there were several snakes swimming in the lake. We saw them while walking from the pirate room section to Old Port Royal just about every day. They appeared to be water moccasins, although we couldn't be 100% sure since we weren't close enough. I also know of a little boy who was bit by a water moccasin at CBR. He dropped his Buzz Lightyear toy near the landscaping at the bus stop. When he reached down to get it something bit him. His dad then saw the snake and called 911.

We also had a long, black snake in the pool at POR. We had just arrived in WDW. We had dinner at the foodcourt at POR, then went meet my SIL and her family at the pool. My kids were in the pool for a few minutes when we heard shouting about the snake. The CMs got the snake out and everyone continued swimming.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen several snakes, the largest being black snake of around 4 ft slithering across the main path into Typhoon Lagoon. The smallest was a tiny baby - a 3 inch garter snake at CSR. There were several small ones - a foot or so, at OKW a few years back. For years now, I have searched high and low for a gator (yes, I want to see one) and finally saw one sunning himself last year in the pond near the alternate entrance to DHS. He was probably between 3 - 4 ft. Last year, I was wading in the lagoon at the Poly after dark one night and scared myself silly at the thought that a gator was going to come nibbling on my toes. I don't want to get THAT close!
    Kathy şoş

LET'S GO BUCS!

Next trip - June '14

Past trips:
    6/13, 4/13, 7/12, 7/11, 1/11, 8/10, 7/09, 3/09, 8/08, 8/07, 12/06, 9/05, 7/03, 7/98, 5/96, 8/93, '70's X 2

Post Thanks / Like

We have seen many snakes at POP! I especially have seen them on my early morning walks. Also we have seen a small gator in Hourglass Lake at POP. In August my DD and I rented a sea racer in Disney and on the banks of the Lagoon there was about a 4 foot gator resting!!

Kim

1984 MAY- OFF PROPERTY Senior Class Trip!!
    1985-86 May- OFF PROPERTY
    2005 MARCH- OFF PROPERTY
    2007 FEBRUARY - POP
    2008 AUG.- POP
    2009 MARCH - POR
    2009 AUG.-POLY
    2010 AUG. - POP
    2011 AUG. - POP
    2012 APRIL - All STAR MOVIES
    2013 DEC.-POP
    2014 AUG.-AOA
    2015 APRIL- CSR

Post Thanks / Like

Saw a small-ish gator in Animal Kingdom in the river around the tree of life. We had a small debate about whether or not it was supposed to be there - after all it is Animal Kingdom.
    FW '88 • FW '89 • CBR '91 • POFQ '92 • WL '93 • WL '94 • DLH '95 • ASMu/PR '96 • DLH '97 • CBR '98 • FWC '99 • FWC '00 • POR '01 • AKL '02 • FWC '03 • POR '06 • ASSp '07 • PC '08 • PC '09 • DL '10 • PC '11 • POFQ '12 • CBR '12 • POR '14

Next up: Universal Orlando - September 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We were staying at ASM and were walking to tge pool after dark and a snake was laying on the sidewalk in front of us...A little girl was ahead of us and almost stepped on it! I can't stand snakes!!!
    Amy
    80 Camping şoş
    89 Offsite şoş
    05 ASM şoş
    06-07-08-09-10-10-11-12-13-14-15 POR şoş

Post Thanks / Like

Saw one by the Liberty Belle too !!

We caught the first ride of the day on the Liberty Belle (which I recommend, by the way) and as we were peacfully cruising along a gator swam up beside the boat.

Post Thanks / Like

While I have never seen one myself, I have to say if my Dad could ever see a gator on Disney property (that wasn't on the Safari or Jungle Cruise), he would agree to far more trips. He's absolutely facinated by those critters!

Lots of snakes though...just about stepped on one coming back from the bus late at night in January. I'm generally not afraid of them, but this one kinda snuck up on me and made me shreek a bit.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: