Quantcast Short Fall getaway ideas - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

So many great suggestions!

Natalie, that's what I was also thinking about the foliage, might have better luck in DC since it's a bit farther south. And thanks for the heads up about the different airports. I may be able to find a better price at one of the others.

Tinkerbell, we wouldn't be able to be there for Columbas Day weekend, my kids fall break is the following week. Rhode Island sounds like such a cool place to be in the fall! If we go with Boston, we will definitely find a way to drive there one day!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I love October trips! Especially when it is not Columbus Day weekend, the crowds are non-existent.

For my kids' fall break, they have Friday and Monday off. We either take them out of school on the Thursday or Tuesday to have an extra day (last year, we discovered Tuesday works better because they usually missed tests on the Thursday before a long weekend). In the last three years, we went to DC, NYC and the beach. If you fly out early the first morning to the NE, you still can enjoy most of the day (all afternoon).

We LOVED DC. Other than the Bureau of Printing and Engraving, we did not participate in any tours. Like other places, arriving as soon as the museums open allows you your best, least crowded touring times ... air and space on Friday at opening, Natural Archives at opening on Saturday and Natural History at opening on Sunday. I think we stayed at a JW Marriott two blocks from the White House and walking distance from the Smithsonian and Mall. Also, we flew into Baltimore. Much cheaper flights, then took a train into DC. My son was so excited over the planes, trains and taxis! I kept looking for a boat ride to make things complete for him.

We also LOVED NYC. This trip was decidedly more expensive than DC, but we hit all the major touristy stops and saw the Lion King ... my kids loved it. We stayed at the DoubleTree suites in Times Square ... we had a king sized bed and the kids slept in the other room on the pull out sofa. Two tvs, two rooms, a decent sized bathroom and space to move ... a wonderful and rare thing in NYC hotel rooms.

Also, if your plans fall apart (like my WDW trip last year because of work), you can always hit the beach. The beach in October is wonderful because it is empty and usually cooler so you can sit on the beach all day and not fry!

My DH wants to take the kids to Chicago and while I would like to go ... I'm worried it's a little too much like DC and NYC - big city, touring museums. I really want to take a trip to San Francisco with the kids this fall, but with the time change for the West Coast and longer flight times, I'm concerned about them being too tired when returning to school. Of course, I still haven't given up hope for an October WDW trip this year, but I'm scared of even suggesting it to DH (he says he is done with WDW ... )

Let us know what you decide.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and years ago, DH and I went to DC to visit friends. One day, we took a drive into Virginia, drove the Skyline Parkway (I think?, had a picnic near the top), and toured Monticello, and I think we had dinner and spent time walking around and shopping in Annapolis on our way back to DC.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Karen,
    Good luck bringing up the Disney trip for Oct. To be honest it crossed my mind too. Not like we need another trip to WDW, but we've never done F&W festival since my kids didn't ever have a fall break before now. I would love to go in Oct. for the halloween party and F&W, but with us going in July/Aug. it would feel silly to go back again in Oct.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Not sure what we are going to decide, but flying with the kids may be put on the back burner till next year. We are going to Big Cedar Lodge at Table Rock Lake in Missouri (near Branson) for Thanksgiving with DH's sister and her family. This will be a new place for us and we are excited about it. Since we are going somewhere new this year with the kids DH would rather us take an adult only trip in Oct. So looks like DH and I will take a nice little trip instead of another family trip in the fall. The last time we traveled without our kids was for our 1 year anniversay, and our oldest was just a baby. This fall we'll be celebrating our 13th anniversary. We feel it's time for a bit of "us" time.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I consider Rhode Island a hidden gem! So if you decide what you are doing feel free to PM me or if you are on FB you an send me a message there and or friend request if you need any ideas
    Last edited by TinkerbellT421; 06-27-2012 at 09:23 AM. Reason: Correction
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

My suggestion would be Salem MA. There is so much to do there for kids and it really is a cool walking town. It has a trail layed out of all the historic stops and witch related attractions.

Boston is less than an hour away so you could always drive there for the day too.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

I highly recommend Philadelphia and the countryside (as Fodor's guides call it.) If you want to see fall colors, take a ride out to Lancaster, which is Amish Country. It is beautiful out there in the fall. You can hit Valley Forge in between Lancaster and Philly. See Washington's Headquarters (and shop in King of Prussia.) Philly has Indendence Hall, the Liberty Bell, the country's first zoo, Franklin Institute, the Philadelphia Museum of Art (run up the "Rocky" steps...SOOOOO much to do!

Post Thanks / Like

Do a search for a map of normal peak times for fall colors. Looks as tho your best bet is the Appalachians. New England could be too early.

New England also might be crowded/expensive as many folks like to tour during fall foliage time.

A possible strategy would be to get plane tickets for some place like Philadelphia or Baltimore (depending on cost, etc). Keep an eye on the foliage maps as October gets closer. If the foliage peaks are looking like being north of Philly, go into New York or maybe western Mass. If the colors are early, then head south from Philly, maybe into Shenandoah or West Virginia in the higher elevations.

Pretty much anywhere in the northeast and mid atlantic areas you'll find interesting things to do.

Good luck!

Jan

Post Thanks / Like

Have you ever considered a cruise? I know they do short fall foliage cruises on the east coast.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: