Quantcast Where would you never go again?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Where would you never go again?

We all have the occasional disastrous trip, but what destinations were so disappointing that you would never return and you warn others away? For us, there are two.

The first would be the Wisconsin Dells. We spent 4 days there. We were going for the scenery and really expected some outdoorsy activities. What we found was an incredibly tacky town and separate tours that you had to take to see the scenery. There was probably a better way to do it. Perhaps my it was just my research that fell short, but man we were disappointed. We stayed at one of the water resort hotels which we were really looking forward to as well. Someone we know recommended the Polynesian so we booked there. Ugh. It was just this side of seedy, the employees had a dismal attitude and the water was freezing.

I'll have to post later about trip two.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

We've had two trips that were a bit disappointing too. Not so much so that we'd never return, but these just didn't "wow" me like other vacations we've taken.

First off was Gatlinburg, Tennessee. We loved all the nature type stuff we did, but there was one part of the main town that was so "tacky tourist" and we really didn't like it. We did a ghost tour that was a complete waste of time and money, and I was actually embarrased to be seen on the tour. You could tell there were people looking at us thinking "SUCKERS!". Also the photo of our cabin looked like it was nestled way up in the mountains, it was not, it was almost on flat ground. We still had a great little pond and the cabins were spaced well so we had privacy. Not a big deal, just not what we were expecting. We also visited Asheville, North Carolina and drove the Blue Ridge Parkway on that trip, stopping many times along the way, and that part of the trip was amazing, so the whole trip wasn't a waste. I was just a little disappointed in some of what we did in Gatlinburg and Piegon Forge.

The other place that I had high expecations for was San Antonio, Texas. We had been wanting to visit there for years, but kept putting it off. Last summer we visited with my SIL and her family. We had a really fun time, but it also was not what I was expecting. Now to be fair there is a ton of stuff we didn't get to do, and I'm sure if we went again and did other things my opinion may change, but it didn't wow me at all. Every person I know that has been to San Antonio has talked about how much they LOVED it, and I just didn't get it. We went in the middle of June and it was hotter than anything I've experienced before, and I live in Southern Louisiana. I know hot! It was really too hot to enjoy anything that wasn't water related, so we spent most of our time at the waterpark, tubing, and our hotel pool, with outings in the early morning or at night, and it was still too hot! The day we spent tubing was by far the highlight of our trip! We'd like to go back in the spring or fall to do the caves and hill country, and get to spend more time on the riverwalk when it's not so hot. I think we'd enjoy San Antonio much better at a different time of year, doing some of the other things the area has to offer.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I was a litte put off by my visit to Gettysburg a few years back. Wasn't what I was expecting at all, but maybe it was to time of year we went.

Not so bad I wouldn't go back, but it was quiet the opposite of what I wanted to get out of it. It would be [short] part of another destination for sure.

Post Thanks / Like

I would have to say Provincetown MA. I didn't hate it but it wasn't as interesting as I thought it would be.
    Rita (aka NJGIRL)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Ditto to pigeon Forge!!!!

We went to pigeon Forge several years ago. I will never go back! After a 14 hour drive with a 3y/o and 1y/o (we did stop in Savannah), I cried when we got there. it was the tacky touristy strip that set me off."14 hours for this????" Once we got up to our cabin in the mountains I was better. but I will never go back. There are much better places to go to experience The Smokies than Pigeon Forge.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    I was a litte put off by my visit to Gettysburg a few years back. Wasn't what I was expecting at all, but maybe it was to time of year we went.

Not so bad I wouldn't go back, but it was quiet the opposite of what I wanted to get out of it. It would be [short] part of another destination for sure.
    Oh that makes me sad. I grew up taking trips to Gettysburg and ended up doing my undergraduate education at the the college there. I love that town.

If your a history buff make reservations for a hotel way in advance of the July 1-3 anniversary. The reenactments and such are really awesome!
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We camped once on Assateague island (Virginia). The whole trip was pretty much a disaster. Camp ground areas were packed, crazy humidity, and the horse flies. OMG the flies.

I'm not really camping fan to begin with but this trip was just horrific. Maybe I'd go back if we stayed in a hotel the next time.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a couple as well.

Probably our worst has been to Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg like some of the others. It is just an overpriced tourist trap. There are a few attractions that are ok but overall the place is just a ripoff. There were also some sort of scam artists that had little stands set up that would scream and I mean literally scream at you and follow you along yelling trying to push whatever they were selling. It may have been timeshares they were selling but can't remember for sure because I got angry the second time it happened and I started going off every time after that and used quite a few curse words while I was screaming back. I got an ovation from the other tourists when I let one of them have it. That actually turned out to be the highlight of the trip as far as time in Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge and the family still jokes around about it. That has been probably around 6 years ago and we still have absolutely no desire to go back.

The next worst trip sadly was to Disney World during 4th of July week. The allowed way too many people in magic kingdom and we couldn't even move because it was literally shoulder to shoulder all the way down main street and in the courtyard. It took us over an hour and a half to get from the entrance to the spoke that goes over to tomorrow land. All the while, cast members were yelling at everyone (us included) that we could not stand in the street and we needed to move. I snapped and yelled back that everyone was trying to move but we couldn't and instead of yelling at us they could be attempting to help the situation before someone gets hurt. I guess a supervisor heard me because they all stopped yelling at the guests very soon afterwards, got down and started assisting everyone move and clear a path to the outlets from the courtyard. Basically a lot of people had came early and were trying to claim a spot in the courtyard to watch the 4th of July fireworks show and it had caused pedestrian grid lock.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    We camped once on Assateague island (Virginia). The whole trip was pretty much a disaster. Camp ground areas were packed, crazy humidity, and the horse flies. OMG the flies.e.
    One of my least favorites was Ocean City Maryland. We were there for a week for a dance nationals. To escape Ocean City we drove to Assateague and got a two day pass so we could escape OC another day. We weren't camping so that probably made it nicer. It was the middle of July and we liked the island a lot better than the beach area, which I thought was tacky.

Also, Gaitlinburg for 2 different dance nationals. That is a real tourist trap. But loved that the Smoky Mountain National park was right there.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=TheVBs;2274635]

The first would be the Wisconsin Dells. We spent 4 days there. We were going for the scenery and really expected some outdoorsy activities. What we found was an incredibly tacky town and separate tours that you had to take to see the scenery./QUOTE]

Agree with you on tacky town. We're campers and found a wonderful campground up there right on the Wisconsin River - the owners are great (Holiday Shores). However, the stores and a lot of other things downtown are tacky. Not sure why people are attracted to the Dells but it certainly gets crowded.
    23 times since 1993 and still counting

Post Thanks / Like

Hershey Park.

NEVER again.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

New Orleans...once was enough...saw things in public I hope to never see again...and no I wasn't on Bourbon Street, nor was I there for Mardi Gras. lol.

Myrtle Beach...tourism gone awry.

Gatlinburg...love the Smokies, but the town has become myrtle beach in the mountains. (The Townsend area is still rightly advertised as the quiet side of the Smokies but does lack mainstream eateries...though it does boast one of the top restaurants in Tennessee.)
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    Myrtle Beach...tourism gone awry.
    Some friends of ours have a beach house in Myrtle Beach North (or is it South), anyway it's the quieter part of Myrtle Beach. We visited them a few years ago in late June and it was so calm and enjoyable. The beach was super clean and it was just a lot of families enjoying beach time together!

Now we did go to some little tourist shopping area for the kids to go to MagiQuest. That was a disaster for me. First off I hate that MagiQuest game. We've let the kids do it in the Great Wolf Lodge resorts, which is fine, they can go off on their own. This was a free standing MagiQuest place and there was nothing for me to do, but follow the kids around helping them find stuff. It was one of the worst few hours spent on any vacation!!
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Post Thanks / Like

You know, I can't really think of anywhere we've vacationed that I wouldn't go there again (and I've been pondering this for several minutes). The closest destination would probably be Miami. Many years ago we had a weekend or two there that were fun--Biscayne Bay, South Beach, etc. But the last time we were there I was with my husband on one of his business trips and I was put off by the attitudes and pretentiousness of so many people, especially in South Beach. Many of them may have been tourists or C-list celebrities trying to appear more than important than they really were, but I decided it just wasn't my kind of city anymore.
    Beth
    INTERCOT Staff--
    Theme Parks and Accommodations

Take a look at what INTERCOT's wonderful sponsors have to offer!

Post Thanks / Like

South of the Border
    Didn't vacation there, but stopped there a couple trips ago. I remember stopping there in the past and it not being as bad as it was.
    Bern

WDW - 85,88,89,96,08,10,12,13,16,18,19
    Universal - Cabana Bay, May 2019

August 2020 - Port Orleans Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

Universal Studios.... The park crew are rude, and very unprofessional, and scream at the folks getting on rides. They are always in a hurry, even when there are no crowds. I will never return to Universal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MNNHFLTX View Post
    ...But the last time we were there I was with my husband on one of his business trips and I was put off by the attitudes and pretentiousness of so many people, especially in South Beach. Many of them may have been tourists or C-list celebrities trying to appear more than important than they really were, but I decided it just wasn't my kind of city anymore.
    I agree with you on South Beach. Spend a ton of money to be treated like garbage. I'm ok with spending money If i am getting good quality and service.
    Mar'14 DCL..Nov '13 POP..Jan '13 CBR..Mar'12 Swan/Dolphin..Nov '11 Universal/legoland, one night @ WDW..Oct '10 POP..April '09 Swan/Dolphin..Jan '09 AKL..Apr'08 offsite..Jan/Feb '08 offsite..Dec '08 HiltonHeadResort..Oct '07 Pop.. July '07 VB..May '07 DCL.Oct '06 FtWcabins.May '06 POP.Jan '06 POFQ

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Mousemates View Post
    New Orleans...once was enough...saw things in public I hope to never see again...and no I wasn't on Bourbon Street, nor was I there for Mardi Gras. lol.
    I live about an hour and a half with traffic away from N.O. I refuse to go there. Both before and after Katrina it was and still is just a mess. A real shame too. There are some fantastic restaurants there.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

I am not a fan of Panama City Beach or Myrtle Beach. Both too tacky/touristy for me. If I go to the beach, I want to spend time at the beach, not at a bunch of tacky souvenir shops.

Kristin
    Momma to two sweet boys: Myers and Jacob
    36 trips and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by barnaby View Post
    South of the Border
    Didn't vacation there, but stopped there a couple trips ago. I remember stopping there in the past and it not being as bad as it was.
    Is this the place between South and North Carolina? If so, how could I forget that place. Definitely a place I would never stop at again. We stopped just for the novelty of it, but we were back in our car and leaving rather quickly. The place was such a dump!

DH was stationed in Fort Bragg, North Carolina back during his Army days and he and his friends would stop there when going to Myrtle Beach. For some reason he thought it would be a cool place to stop with the kids. NOT!!!!!
    Denise

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: