Quantcast Norm nowadays? Or no?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Norm nowadays? Or no?

We received an invite to a child's birthday party...4 months from now. Turning 2. There was also a gift registry included. Is this typical now? I was surprised to recieve an invite this far out for a birthday and also a registry. I thought that was usually for weddings or showers. Just curious! I don't know what I am doing 4 weeks from now let alone 4 months!
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Proud DVC Members since 2004!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, the 4 month thing doesn't bother me as much as the registry, although I too think 4 months out is a bit much for a child's
    party. But a gift registry for a 2 year old??? I think that is pretty tacky and I've never heard of it.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of such a thing either. Most times when we are invited to a birthday party, the parents ask that gifts NOT be given ... they just want to celebrate their child.
    Jennifer (aka Mickey'sGirl)
    INTERCOT Staff: Guests with Special Needs, Dining and Disney Characters

Last trip: March 2016 - Fantasy
    Next trip: Aug 2017 - Aulani

I am a Galactic Hero once more!

Post Thanks / Like

Not the "Norm" in my book. I would have been floored if that was sent to me.
    Jodie

Post Thanks / Like

That's definitely not the norm in my neck of the woods. I actually find both the 4 month "notice" and the registry extremely tacky.
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

LOL, whew, I'm glad I wasn't the only one who found this bizarre! I was floored, but I thought well maybe this is what people are doing these days. I guess not LOL!

The registry especially surprise me because I remember my kids at 1 1/2 or 2... they were happy with anything they were given. Heck they loved crayons and cardboard boxes more than any toy. And, it's an at-home party so it's not like at a venue or Chuck E. Cheese or any place where you might need to know a headcount in advance.
    Trips: Too Many to Count! Last Trips: April 2013 CSR; July 2013 Aloha Aulani, The Sequel, Hawaii. Multiple trips to WDW, DL, DCL!

Coming up: September 2013 "Scary September" at Disneyland/DCA/Universal Hollywood.

Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, that's seems very tacky to me. You never mention gifts in any invite: bridal shower, birthday, wedding, or otherwise. If there is a registry that information is shared by word of mouth to those that inquire. A registry for a 2 year old seems very over the top and I've never heard of a 4 month prior birthday invite. What's next, save the date cards? I'd probably decline just because those two things are so off putting.
    Michelle

Where there is kindness there is goodness, and where there is goodness there is magic.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow. Just wow.

Post Thanks / Like

that seems a little tacky to me and not anything I've seen or heard of in our area...and a registry four months out really just doesn't make much sense, because in four months who knows what a child will really want (thou I suspect the registry might be more what the mom wants, than what they want).
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Cool

Very tacky and totally not the norm. Not even in the wacky Northeast where we take crazy to a whole new level!
    Ian ºOº
    INTERCOT Senior Imagineer

Veteran of over 60 trips to Disney theme parks and proud to have stayed in every Disney resort in the continental United States! º0º

Next trip:

April 2018 - Saratoga Springs Treehouse

Help support INTERCOT's sponsors!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I have to agree I have never heard of an invite sent that far in advance. Seems like the mom wants to make sure she has lots of people, thus lots of gifts. Tacky

Also the registry is very odd, and I actually find it very rude and greedy.
    I had a cousin though that sent an invite for her son's birthday ( on facebook) when he turned 3 or 4, she said he needed a new big boy carseat, and he liked cars and pringles chips.
    I found that rude too, I would never ask people to buy my child their carseat, that is part of being a parent.

My daughter will be 2 in January, and I would never think of doing a registry. If people ask what she wants I always offer some ideas, but mainly because she has Down syndrome so toys that are fun and serve a PT/OT need or goal are always good. "Purposeful Play"
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

We just got my DD married off in May; there is a specific time line for sending invites...something like 4 or 5 weeks prior to the event. Four months is a bit much...but for a birthday party...for a 2 year old! Give me a break!

No way I'd go. I have to agree that this is mommy wanting special gifts for her little darling...who won't care one way or another.
    1980 Disneyland
    2004 & 2006 Pop
    2008 AKL
    2010 CBR
    2011 POFQ & WL
    2012 CSR & Contemporary
    2013 Villas @ WL Christmas Family Trip
    2014 YC 25th Anniversary Trip
    2015 AoA Spring Family Trip
    2016 Move to Florida and AP Holder

Post Thanks / Like

This parent needs to receive an anonymous email or letter in the mail from any of the 'miss manners' or 'miss etiquette' or similar advice columns (you can google 'gift registry for a 2 year old etiquette' and get plenty of them) explaining that what they're doing is universally tacky.

Some people are just unreal these days.

Post Thanks / Like

I have never heard of such a thing. Wow! That seems over the top and ridiculous to me. I would have laughed to get that invitation. But maybe they're new to this and over enthusiastic. I think I would gift the child with a charity donation in his name and a polite "we can't make it" to the party.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

That's really strange. I have had less notice for weddings! Four months seems excessive.

And the registry...that's just not cool.
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

I have seen and heard of some crazy things.

And I might sound like a twit saying this seeing it is not the two year olds fault, but the parents, however, I think I would purposely not go and not buy a gift at all. Just for the sheer principle. I might lose a friend for it but I think I would write on the RSVP card a note after check marking the no, and write "just because this is absurd". In my Italian family who has been known to be a little over the top with parties and get togethers, I would be lucky to receive the invite via phone two weeks before. Heck, we have planned literally last minute-day before-parties as birthday parties. I just cannot even express the issues I have with this lol.

But to answer your original question, no, not the norm lol.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Yes I agree that if someone asks for ideas for what the child wants it's totally OK to offer up some reasonable ones (i.e. he likes Star Wars or she's into arts and crafts or Barbie), because people just don't know sometimes what the kid likes or ideas to look into...but I thought the gift registry was a little much. To actually have gone around the store with that scan gun picking stuff out -wow! I looked at the items and I can't see any child that age going around a store "picking" out stuff. It has to be mommy.

Speaking of asking what a child likes, I remember a relative of mine used to ask us for very expensive, specific items for birthdays or Christmas for her child. We would be told very specifically she wants a Barbie Dream House (over $100!) or My Size Barbie (also $100), so get her one of those! I would tell her politely, but in a direct way, that we appreciated the input but it was out of our budget so we would find something else she would enjoy. Like someone said above when they were asked for a big-boy car seat for a birthday, that and these high priced items are for parents to buy! I would never dream of telling people, relatives or not, that my kid wants a Playstation 3 or whatever (or any other expensive item). Sheesh! That's for me to buy as a parent.

Post Thanks / Like

I thought I'd seen it all when I saw some of those parties that the "Real Housewives" have had for their little ones, but this just takes the cake.

I really hope this is not a good friend of yours, because she needs to be told how horribly tacky and out of control this all is...
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

never ever heard of a gift registry for a birthday party of any age, let alone a 2 year old
    Contemp '78
    Offsite '84 & '88
    GF 11/02
    Beach Club 11/04
    GF 7/05
    GC DL 7/1-7/4/07
    BWV 11/3-11/07
    SSR 5/15-20/09
    BLT 11/6-14/10
    BLT 5/9-13/11
    BLT 6/23-7/1/12
    BLT 8/17-25/13
    BLT 8/23-31/14
    BLT 6/20-28/15
    GC DL 6/21-25/16
    BLT 8/26-9/3/17
    BLT 8/25-9/2/18
    BLT 8/24-9/1/19
    GF 8/28-9/5/21

Post Thanks / Like

I've got an 8 year old and a 3 year old and about two weeks prior to their birthdays I get hammered with questions on what they want for their birthday by friends and family. I would say, I get asked by about 90% of the people who get invited. I am usually stumped on what to tell people. I'm learning to keep a list of things to tell people all under about $20 and keep track of what I've told people. Once I didn't and my daughter got 3 or 4 of the same things. I'm learning that people really do need to be told what to buy, despite how tacky it is I'm really tempted to do a registry. It is stressful to get the ugly looks from the parents at the party when 2 or more of the same things are opened at the party.

There is a toy store in our area that lets you go in and put things in a Birthday box. Your guests then go to that store, pick from the box and then they get a 20% discount on the items in the box. This has become a popular option to the traditional registry. It saves time and money.

Another thing that is becoming popular at parties, is not opening presents during the party. Many times, the party will end and the presants will remain unopened and taken home and opened later. That's a weird one to me.
    Melissa

Disneyland - too many times to count
    Poly 2007
    3 day Cruise Wonder 2007
    4 day Cruise Wonder 2000-2001 (New Years Cruise) Honeymoon
    Beach Club 2000 Honeymoon
    Poly 98
    3 day Cruise Magic 98
    Tokyo Disneyland 1994

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: