Quantcast Wdw>dl???

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Thread: Wdw>dl???

Post Thanks / Like

Default Wdw>dl???

Ok this topic has arisen again for me. I have been going to WDW for the past 24 years of my life (im 27). I love it so much and am always booking/planning the next Disney trip.

So here is my concern. I would like to see DL but am nervous that I will be disappointed. Mainly I am curious as to, am I spoiled with going to WDW all the time and is DL going to be alot smaller and I will be able to do it all in a short period of time? I have seen some of the rides on youtube of DL and they look terrific and exciting (Indiana Jones to name one). I just dont want to plan a huge trip only to be disappointed and feel like I should have just stuck with WDW in the end.

As soon as I return from my September WDW trip I will be persuing the career of a flight attendant. So I am thinking I might just get myself a job doing that and then just take a free flight out to DL and test the waters. But I would like some input from the professionals who know both Disneys!

~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~șoș~~~~
    Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

If you can see DL, you should see DL.

IndyJ is my favorite ride at any park.
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

They are very different places, and as a huge DIsney fan, I have to say that Disneyland REQUIRES a visit at least once. I used to feel the same way you do. DIsneyland is smaller, but that's about it. It's better in every other way, IMO.

Definitely take a trip out there. You can always go back to WDW if Disneyland was not your cup of tea, but then you can say you actually went. I'll bet that if you go once, though, you'll want to go back.

Disneyland made me a convert. I was all about WDW until I moved to Southern California. I lived there for over 10 years, and I moved away a year ago and not a day goes by that I don't wish I was back there again so I could go to Disneyland. We went to WDW (again) in December, but it wasn't the same.

We're heading back to Disneyland in November and I CANNOT WAIT!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Have been to Disneyland twice now and hope to get back there again. Yes, it is smaller than Walt Disney World but it is also more intimate.

Our first trip was a long weekend so we rather rushed through the highlights. Our last trip was a week long. I don't feel that we needed all that time in Diseyland but it was nice to take it in small doses. We did a tour, Walking in Walt's Footsteps and did the Fantasmic dessert party. We also took a day trip to Universal Studios and one to Sea World (though I wish we had gone to the San Diego zoo instead).

I'd definitely suggest giving it a try. Do not go with the attitude that you're going to compare each minute of each day to Disney World or you may, in fact, set yourself up for disappointment. Take Disneyland on its own merits!
    Linda aka: Faline
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning,Trip Reports and Disney Camping
    [email protected]

Post Thanks / Like

Oh thank you all for your thoughts on this subject. I think I may begin to plan a little something for myself. I feeling like I owe it to Disney to see the rest of what we have in America kinda. And then you mentioned 'Walt's Footsteps'. I would like to go to HIS park so I guess I will be definatly going. I would like to be where He was in a couple of postcard pictures I like of him. Ok my mind is made up! Thanks!

Stayed: Contemorary (1), Polynesian (Many), Old Key West (Many), Floridian (1), Yatch Club (!), Boardwalk (1)

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up in L.A. and I went to DL many times from birth to high school. I try to get there every few years.

I prefer WDW now primarily because I like the warm Florida weather, especially when I'm getting away from the cold and wet of the Pacific NW.

DL & DCA are smaller. WDW was just built to accomodate more people; you'll notice that as you compare things from park to park. The accomotations at WDW are bigger, better and more varied.

There are still some things I prefer at DL over WDW. Here's a few:

POTC - Much better at Disneyland. Bigger drops, the bayou scene to begin. The queue isn't as nice, but I far prefer the ride.

HM - I just like the look of it better, the stretching room is a working elevator and I like the seasonal Nightmare Before Christmas version.

SM - On-board audio, smoother ride.

IASW - Ride istelf is better at WDW, but the front and load area are nicer IMHO. I like the topiaries.

If you are a fan of the parks it would be nice to do DL at least once.
    Past Visits:
    1984 & 85 Off Site
    1999 CBR
    2003 BW/GF
    2009 WL
    2011 Poly
    2013 YC, WL, CR (good year!)
    2014 AKL
    2015 GF, CS , Poly, SSR
    2016 YC, Universal Portofino, GF, Waldorf

"Some people never go crazy. What truly horrible lives they must live." - Bukowski

Post Thanks / Like

I did a trip to DL a few years back, and it was hard not to compare the two. I don't think I spent enough time to really judge (we spent 2 days in the parks, then 4 days doing other things in CA, including the San Diego zoo, which I LOVED!), but I don't regret visiting the other coast one bit. In fact, I really want to go back to see it again (especially Cars Land) to spend some more time just checking it all out.

The only thing I really did not like is that it is smack dab in the middle of everything. I know there is nothing that can be done, but for me it was harder to enjoy my resort time (stayed at Disneyland Hotel) knowing that the real world was just outside my door. I like the feeling of escape that WDW brings.

But there are many things that are way better in DL. Space Mtn, Pirates, and HM. Plus they have The Matterhorn, Nemo and Mr. Toad!!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

They are VERY different experiences, but there are truly exceptional moments in each. One thing I love about DL is being able to walk out of my room (if you stay and Disneyland Hotel or Grand Californian) and being RIGHT THERE in Downtown Disney. It is definitely a shorter trip - I'd be hard pressed to spend more than 3 days, or at the most 4. I'll still pick WDW as my first preference, but I certainly wouldn't turn down another short jaunt to DL. I TOTALLY beleive all true Disney-o-philes need to at least try it once :-)

Post Thanks / Like

I think you'll gain more from a visit to disneyland than another visit to wdw, disneyland is smaller but there is a lot to see there that you can't see at wdw. If you can, try to go oct-dec for the haunted mansion holiday.
    1988- Off site
    1989- Off site
    1990- WDW Hilton & Swan
    1997- Dixie Landings (now Port Orleans Riverside)
    2005- Shades of Green
    June 2006- Pop Century
    Jan 2007- Disneyland- Disneyland Hotel
    Jan 2010- Disneyland- Double Tree Orange
    Oct 2010- Disneyland- Off site
    Sept 2011- All Star Sports

Post Thanks / Like

I grew up going to DW with my family and now for the past 6 years, we have taken our children to DW. Well, this June, we splurged and booked a trip from NJ to CA to see DL. Everyone kept warning us how it's such a smaller park. Well, I have to say that all 5 of us LOVED it!

Once you are in the parks, there are no buses to take to get to any other park. You could walk to the other park in minutes! We were in DL one morning and had an 11:30 lunch reservation in DCA and we left DL at 11:10, walked over to DCA and sat down by 11:30! Now you know that would NEVER happen in DW. You have to leave like 2 hours to make it from one park to another in time for a reservation.

The ONLY reason we look forward to going back to DW now is Epcot. Other than that, if we lived closer, we would always return to DL over DW. If you have the chance, definitely go and do DL.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments green ranger!

If you have time to do a Trip Report for us that would be great.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green ranger View Post
    The ONLY reason we look forward to going back to DW now is Epcot. Other than that, if we lived closer, we would always return to DL over DW.
    That's how we feel too, but we also like WDW for the waterparks. Sadly, it's really the only thing "missing" from the entire DLR experience, for us.

Thanks for providing your experience. Glad it was a good one!!!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Dallas, TX (1424.06 miles from the Disneyland Resort)
    Post Thanks / Like

The fact the the Disneyland Resort is smaller, is a positive IMHO.

You spend more of your time actually doing fun things as apposed to spending time on a bus.

Post Thanks / Like

Wow this topic is definately a borderlined. It seems like DL has so many pros but also has its cons. And WDW has pro's and compared to DL it gets cons. I am going to try it out at some point once I come back from WDW in 42days. Thanks for all of the great info!

Post Thanks / Like

I love both WDW and DL. If you dont compare the two then its a no brainer. Neither of the parks are perfect. but there is no place I would rather be than at either park be it California or Florida..
    TRACEY

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by green ranger View Post
    I grew up going to DW with my family and now for the past 6 years, we have taken our children to DW. Well, this June, we splurged and booked a trip from NJ to CA to see DL. Everyone kept warning us how it's such a smaller park. Well, I have to say that all 5 of us LOVED it!

The ONLY reason we look forward to going back to DW now is Epcot. Other than that, if we lived closer, we would always return to DL over DW. If you have the chance, definitely go and do DL.
    Yes Green Ranger where are those trip reports!? I have been waiting for months! Green Ranger was also there during the opening of CARS LAND!
    (I seriously have been telling her for months to do her reports-she is my sister)

As for the OP, i have also been to DL and again grew up going to WDW. If you have never been to DL go see it. There is nothing like the feeling you get there knowing Walt was there. That feeling alone made me fall in love with that park. Yes Magic Kingdom is smaller there but they have more restaurants and rides than it's Florida counterpart. I wasn't too thrilled with Cali Adventure park but I was also there BEFORE the refurb and of course the new CArs Land so I cannot really focus on that park....although it was fun even when I was there.
    I too wish DL was closer. I miss it and would love to go back! Afterall, they still have Mr Toads!!!!
    First Trip '77
    Disney Cast Member WDW '98
    1st yr Anniversary Trip '02
    DVC mem '04
    Family Reunion '05! & Dads 70th '11
    Found out we were having a baby' Disneyland, CA March '08
    1st TRIP for DS 7/09 BIL WDW Wedding!
    Found out baby #2 was coming WDW 5/11
    #2 1st trip Sept'12 & Son#1 5th trip!

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: