Quantcast Miniature Golf, etc.?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Miniature Golf, etc.?

We have an extra day at DLR and wondered if anyone had any comments on things like miniature golf, go-karts, etc. in the Anaheim area. I've looked at Golf Land and Golf n Stuff online, but just wondered if anyone had been there personally or if anyone has any other suggestions. Looking for something to do for part of the day - not an all day thing. It could possibly be too cold to swim at the time of year we're going, so just looking for other ideas besides shopping at DTD. Thanks!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    2016 - Universal (Royal Pacific)
    Next up - Beach Club!

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Mary, I wish BrerGnat weren't away from the boards for a while. She would probably have some good suggestions.

When I go to the DLR I usually just stick around and don't venture out much and it's been too many years since I lived in the LA area to give up to date ideas.

I don't remember from your other posts whether you will have your own transportation or be using a taxi? Also, what time of year will you be there?

Do your kids like the beach? Huntington Beach is maybe 20-30 minutes away. Even if they don't want to go in the water there is a pier you can walk out on. That's where we always went when I was a kid.
    Linda aka tinkwest
    INTERCOT Staff ~ Disneyland Resort

Come On Everybody - Here We Go!!

“To all who come to this happy place: Welcome. ...”

Support our INTERCOT Sponsors!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the comments Linda. Yeah, Brer Gnat was giving me a lot of great tips a while back. I really appreciate the responses I'm getting on the DLR topics - since I know there aren't many people on this board with DLR information.

Yeah, we like the beach, but going in late November I wasn't even thinking about that b/c I wasn't sure what there was to do besides swim. I may check into that option now. We're really up in the air on what to do - we are considering picking up a rental car from Downtown Disney for this one extra day we have so we aren't limited to the immediately surrounding area. We thought about another theme park, but the expense of that was stopping us. I read some things about some Legoland discounts, so we were considering that as well. But also considering ideas of things that we can do just for a couple hours/half day.
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

I've always thought Legoland would be a neat place to go. My kids were beyond the age of being interested in that when they opened so I've never gone. Someday.

It would only be about an hour drive for you, but there is the added expense.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

There is the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana about 5 minutes from DL. They have a website you can check out. There is also a zoo in Santa Ana, nver been to the zoo but the science center was fun for our girl scout troop.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyLandMomma View Post
    There is the Discovery Science Center in Santa Ana about 5 minutes from DL. They have a website you can check out. There is also a zoo in Santa Ana, nver been to the zoo but the science center was fun for our girl scout troop.
    I didn't even think of the Science Center (which I pass each time I go to DLR!). Good input DisneyLandMomma.
    Linda aka tinkwest

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, I'm back! I can give you some suggestions.

You have two boys, 5 and 10 right?

Legoland would be my first suggestion. You can usually find "Buy an adult ticket, get a child admission free" deals in the off season. If your kids are even slightly into Legos, this is a no brainer. My kids love Legoland. We have been there numerous times. In the off season, park is usually open only 10am-5pm, but that's more than enough time to do everything. FWIW, Legoland also has a small aquarium that is right outside the park gates, and requires a separate admission (about $10 per person or thereabouts). The immediate area adjacent to Legoland has some good restaurants, among them one of our favorites, Claim Jumper!

The Discovery Science Center is fun and very close to DLR. You'd have to rent a car or take a cab. It's about 5 miles south of DLR. This place can provide about 2-3 hours of fun, if your kids are into hands on stuff. There are always specialty exhibits here that change throughout the year. Google it to see what might be going on in November.

There is a nice Aquarium in Long Beach, and the area where the Aquarium is (a harbor area) has a lot of restaurants/shops to walk around and see, as well as a lighthouse and some ships.

The local golf/amusement places in the Anaheim area are sketchy and, essentially, rip offs. I wouldn't recommend any of them.

If your kids simply enjoy really elaborate playgrounds and just want to run off some steam and be kids for a couple hours for free, head to Irvine, which has over 50 parks/playgrounds to explore! Irvine is also home to some very nice shopping centers, such as the Spectrum center which is a huge outdoor mall. Lots of good restaurants can be found here as well. We lived in Irvine for 7 years and are also heading back to CA in November for a wedding. We have decided to make Irvine our "home" for 5 nights, while we attend the wedding and do Disneyland for 3 days. Our kids (boys, 6 and 8) miss their favorite parks SO much, and we are all dying to eat at some of our favorite places again. If this option appeals to you, PM me and I can give you more detailed information about the good parks and places to eat. Everything in Irvine is very easy to get to from the major freeways. Irvine is approx 15 min south of DLR, directly off Interstate 5.

I would avoid the beaches in November. Your boys will likely want to swim in the water and it's just not possible. It will be COLD and they will likely end up disappointed. If you want to simply SEE the ocean, and let your boys play, Laguna Beach would be my suggestion. There is a beautiful public beach with a HUGE playground right on the sand. Lots of shopping and dining here as well as art shops (Laguna is a huge art town).

Hope this helps! Of course, there is also ESPN Zone at Downtown Disney that has an entire floor upstairs with video games, bowling, etc. You could spend a couple hours there easy, and the food at ESPN Zone is really good too!

Don't rule out swimming either. We've stayed on property in November a couple times and the pools are so warm they have steam coming off them! It can be quite warm in November. I recall more than a couple 80 degree Thanksgivings in recent years.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks so much, BrerGnat, for all of the wonderful ideas! I'm really going to have to think about Legoland. I know for sure my 5 year old would love it - and I think my 10 year old would like it as well. He's still pretty entertained at Disney, so it might be okay to do for a day. I keep seeing people mention buy an adult, get a kid free promotions, but when I go to the website, there is no place to enter the promotion code. And I don't want to pay full price. It does look like a very interesting park, though.

Thanks for the input about the golf places - I just couldn't see enough about them to make a decision on them. I suppose the discovery science center is an idea - and ESPN Zone - for a couple of hours' entertainment. I won't rule out swimming, but we are staying at Carousel Inn and their pool doesn't look all that appealing anyway. Only staying there because it's inexpensive and right across the street adn the hotel looked somewhat decent. We'd only swim if it were hot. I guess it's just going to come down to cost on what we decide to do. Right now, we just got done paying for the flight, hotel and tickets and bought a bunch of gift cards for meals - so we're feeling a little broke. Hopefully we'll be able to scrape together the little bit of extra to do Lego land.

Thanks again for all the DLR information! It's so hard to find DLR information and I am the type who has to research/plan every last detail of my Disney vacation!
    Nov 2003 - Off -site
    Nov 2004 - POFQ
    Nov 2005 - AS Movies
    Nov/Dec 2007 - CSR
    Nov/Dec 2008 - CBR
    2009- 2011 Trips - CSR
    2012 - DLR
    2013 - CSR
    2014 - CSR
    2015 - AS Sports
    Next up - Beach Club!

Post Thanks / Like

Honestly, if it's going to be a stretch, financially, don't do Legoland. It is expensive, even with B1G1 promotions. Adult tickets are close to $80 each. Parking is $20. Food is pricey. You're looking at over $250 easy for a day there considering a rental car and gas.

You can take a cab to the science center. Admission there is around $15 per person, or thereabouts.

You can also just plan to watch a movie. There is an AMC theater at Downtown Disney as well. A movie, some lunch or dinner, and an hour or so at ESPN zone will be a lot of fun for your kids.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: