Quantcast How old before you let kids on their own

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default How old before you let kids on their own

At what age do you let your kids go by themselves in the park? How long do you let them go?
    WORK TO PAY FOR DISNEY
    2020 June SOG
    2017 MNSSHP POP
    2014 August Shades of Green
    2012 August POP
    2008 September POP
    2007 April Shades of Green
    2004 April Shades of Green
    2001 March Shades of Green
    1998 December Shades of Green
    1995 March off site

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

The first time I tried it with my oldest two, they were 14 (DD) and 12 (DS); this was back in about 2003. We were gonna sit down for the parade and fireworks at MK, so my (ex) wife and I decided to try and let them go off on their own so they didn't have to sit for two hours. Told them, "Be back here by 7:30".

7:30 comes around...they don't show up. 7:45...8:00...still no sign. They finally came back around 8:15, after the parade had started and the east side of Main Street/the Hub was a *mess* with people. When asked why they came back late, my oldest says, "Well, we got in line for Pirates, and it was a 40-minute wait."
    "What *time* did you get in line?"
    "7:20..."
    :-/ Kids...LOL...

Oh - we didn't have cell phones back then, either.

With pre-teen/early-teen kids and letting them go off on their own, I'd make sure that:

1) They *know* the park *very well*.
    2) They know *where* and *when* they're supposed to meet up with the adults/rest of the group.
    3) They know *what* to do in case they can't find you. Either have cell phones, or know how to talk to the Cast Members and how to get to the "Lost Children" center (if needed) in each park.
    4) They know NOT to talk to, or walk off with, any strangers (the creepy kind).

Set a few rules, and you should be good to go
    Former WDW Magic Kingdom Cast Member (2001-2010): Main Street Parades/WDWRR Engineer/Conductor; Frontierland Attractions; Tomorrowland Attractions

Last: Sep '14 (Coronado Springs)
    Next:Oct 2015: MNSSHP

Have you ever dreamed the dreams of the children...?

Post Thanks / Like

This really depends on the kids. Mine were 12 and 14, but we started small, same park, same park area, they had to stay together, and it was a short separation with a pre-arranged time and meeting place. As they got older, we expanded a bit. They were finally able to explore parks without us by 17 and 15, but even then we preferred they stayed together and we all had phones.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

We began around 14years also. So far it's been in the same park as me. Additionally, he had a cell phone. I'm not sure how I would have felt had he not had the phone. However, I was 13 when I first did this. It was on a school field trip. I guess the primary difference was there were groups of us.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

10 with sibling. 12on own. They've closed park on emh at 13.
    12/1987 Off site
    12/2000 All star movies
    7/2001 Coronado springs
    7/2001 Animal kingdom lodge
    12/2001 All star music
    7/2003 Port Orleans
    7/2003 All star sports
    7/2004 Pop Century
    7/2010 All star movies
    7/2011 Pop Century
    3/2013 Pop Century
    4/2013 All star movies

Post Thanks / Like

It always worries me to see people relying so heavily on cell phones in these situations with teenagers. Teens constantly play with their phones and run the battery dead without thinking ahead about possibly needing it in an emergency or not being able to find their parents.

We always have a prearranged meeting point whether someone is going off on their own or just in case one of the smaller children get lost or separated from us somehow. We use the focal point of the particular park (front court yard of the castle at Magic Kingdom, under the hat at Hollywood studios, spaceship earth at epcot, tree at animal kingdom). We actually had to use this once and it worked out perfectly.

With all that said, around 14 or 15 is when we start letting them wander on their own.

Post Thanks / Like

*I* personally was allowed free reign of WDW when I was about 14. There were no cell phones. No two way radios. There was trust between our parents and my sisters and I, and we knew the property VERY well by that point, having visited WDW often.

We'd spend entire days on our own, only meeting up with our parents for dinner at a prearranged place/time. We had our own hotel room (parents next door). We came and went as we pleased, for the most part.

I think 13/14 is around the time most kids are ready for the responsibility.

I'd honestly argue that if you feel your child NEEDS to have a cell phone on them at all times when they are apart from you at WDW, they are probably not ready to be given that much freedom.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

I would say around 12/13 for my kids only because we always traveled with a large group. The older kids liked to go off on their own so my two older ones got to go. We didn’t have phones at the time either, but they knew the park well enough to be ok wondering. I guess it would depend on the child too. We always made sure they were together at all times no going to different rides and it worked out. It's funny now when we go and they are older 20/16/8 they want to hang with us more...lol. As soon as we enter the park I’m already giving them the "stay together" talk and they look at me and say "why?" we are staying with you guys... It's nice to know they still like us

As far as the phones. I always have everyones number in the group just incase someone doesnt answer (if they decide to go alone)
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Visiting as often as we did, we allowed our kids to go off without us when the oldest was 13 and the youngest was 11. They had phones, and we were always in the same park.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    I'd honestly argue that if you feel your child NEEDS to have a cell phone on them at all times when they are apart from you at WDW, they are probably not ready to be given that much freedom.
    To me, a cell phone is like having car insurance. I don't NEED it full time for myself. I have car insurance primarily because of the other nut jobs out there. And accidents do happen, even for responsible adults.
    Genna
    Always Enjoy the
    ¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨Magic¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨)¸.•*¨

"Now approaching, Mickey's Star Traders"

If You Can Read This...
    ...Thank The Phoenicians!

Post Thanks / Like

We tried to get our girls to go off on their own; but they always considered our Disney trips to be family time and spent just about every minute with us.

Good thing we like them!
    Officially too many trips to list here!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by magicofdisney View Post
    To me, a cell phone is like having car insurance. I don't NEED it full time for myself. I have car insurance primarily because of the other nut jobs out there. And accidents do happen, even for responsible adults.
    I guess my point was more along the lines of, if your kid is not resourceful enough to know how to contact you or seek help in an emergency without use of a cell phone, then they are probably not ready to be out and about exploring WDW on their own. What if they lose the phone? They need to be able to fend for themselves without that crutch, IMO, before I'd let them out to explore.

Remember how "new" cell phones are, in the grand scheme. When I was 14, they didn't exist yet.

If there is a true emergency, your kids will be able to contact you on WDW property, even if they don't have a cell phone on them. But, they need to know what to do/who to find, etc.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

The DW and i were just discussing this yesterday. Our older kids (15 and 12) are actually not going with us this year. But the next time that they do, we would let them go off on their own if they wanted. We decided that we would have to give them a cell phone, though. We'll see. We usually go during the fall, when school is in session, and now that the older one is in high school, we feel more and more like he can't be out of school for a week.
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    If there is a true emergency, your kids will be able to contact you on WDW property, even if they don't have a cell phone on them. But, they need to know what to do/who to find, etc.
    Even with cell phones and even with you in the same park, you want to know they could get help and ask the right people when needed, of course. It's not always the strangers that seem or look creepy that turn out to be creeps. Also, I think it helps that Disney has a great transportation system. Knowing that your kids would know how to get back to your resort and the room without you alleviates some of the stress of missing meet-up times.

But also, I think you need to know what your kids are like without you around them. We've all seen those kids in the park that make us wonder what their parents were thinking in letting them go off alone. And none of us think our kids are like those kids, but sometimes, yes, they are.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

I know I will be the only one saying this!! My DDs are 14 and 13 and the age that I will let them off on their own will be 18. Disney or not, it only takes seconds for something to happen and I'm not willing to take that chance.

Post Thanks / Like

Sister was 9 I was 14. And never totally "alone." More the parents were on one side of the park and we we're strictly told DO NOT LEAVE THE PARK. lol My parents were over protective.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

ºoº

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

We were talking about allowing our kids to go off on their own on our next Trip. But we will give them a cell phone. One reason for the phone is because if they have a question or want to meet up sooner, they can call us.
    07/95 FW
    12/96 Off Prop
    11/97 CBR
    12/98 ASM
    12/01 ASMo
    11/03 Off Prop
    12/04 ASMo
    12/07 ASSp, Pop
    12/09 ASM
    09/10 FW, SSR
    11/11 SSR
    02/12 POR
    05/12 OKW
    01/13 SSR

Post Thanks / Like

The first time I was totally alone I was 16... like different park
    5/98- CB
    5/00- DL
    5/03- POR
    5/05- POR
    5/06- SSR
    11/06- BIRTHDAY TRIP! SSR
    7/07- OKW
    5/08- SSR
    12/08- YBC
    11/09- SWEET 16! SSR
    7/10- PC
    7/11- SSR

Post Thanks / Like

Last trip DD was 17 and DS 14. I didn't feel well one late morning whie at MK and really needed to go back to the WL. I felt soooo bad so we let the kids stay at MK ONLY and we met them for dinner. They had an absolute blast but we would not allow them to leave MK nor did they ask.

Anything younger than this age would be a no go for us.

Next trip they will be 20 and 17 and we're fine with them going wherever they'd like and now we have the response, "isn't this a family vacation? Why would we want to go our own way?" I'm sure by the time next summer rolls around they will love to do SOMETHING on their own.
    May/1999....CBR - Jamaica
    May/1995....CBR - Martinique
    May/1998....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2002...Wilderness Lodge
    June/2005...Wilderness Lodge
    Aug/2007....Wilderness Lodge
    June/2010...Wilderness Lodge CL
    July/2013 ...Wilderness Lodge CL Celebrating Our 25th Anniv.!

Post Thanks / Like

I would say this would depend if you plan on letting them charge on their room keys.. If yes, I'd say 46 is a good age to let your children alone. If no, younger

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: