Quantcast Am I the only one that chooses the "Value" resorts over all others?

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Am I the only one that chooses the "Value" resorts over all others?

I have stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (including Club.) I have now decided that I do not want to stay in anything other than a Value resort. I have gone so far as to refuse upgrades now. Am I insane? Am I the only one?
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you are nuts, you have just found what you like and are sticking with it.

I like the values, and am planning on staying at AoA in January, but other than that, I'm kind of done with the values. I find myself spending more and more time enjoying the resort, so I'm choosing the deluxe resorts now.

I say to each their own. If you know what you like, enjoy!
    Meg

40 trips (plus two to Disneyland, and one to Disneyland Paris) and counting!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that vote of confidence Meg! I just seem to have more fun and meet the best people from all over the World and all different walks of life. I have many friends now that I have only met at a resort and we keep in touch years after the trip.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13

Post Thanks / Like

No, you are neither insane nor alone. For my upcoming trip, I plan on staying at Pop rather than my beloved POFQ. The reason: is $$$$. I can't justify all the extra money of a moderate because, unlike you, I don't spend much time at the resort. Even if I did, I'm not exactly rolling in dough, so that is a factor as well. For whatever reason, Disney resort prices seem to be getting very bloated to me. I compared what I paid for Coronado on my last trip (2010) and it won't even cover my upcoming trip to Pop. However, I would not refuse a free upgrade, but as my Mom says, whatever floats your boat.

-Josh

Offsite (4x) and Polynesian (1x) 1988-96
    Pop Century May 2005
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2008
    Pop Century December 2008
    Port Orleans French Quarter May 2009
    Coronado Springs March 2010
    Pop Century December 2012!!

Post Thanks / Like

The single thing that I miss when at a value is a hot tub....I love sitting in the hot tub after a long day. Otherwise I really spend so little time at the resort on most of my trips that it makes sense to go value and spend my money in other ways. AoA - see you in December

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you are crazy at all! Like others have said, you've found what you like. Just think of how much easier you've made booking your future trips to be!

My husband is kind of like you, except that that is his position on the moderates. So whenever we book a trip, I only have to say "CSR or PO?" (He won't try CBR for some reason, either.)
    -Laura
    Engineer by Day... Imagineer in my Dreams!

Post Thanks / Like

Nope not crazy. We generally rent points right now because we find we have worked with the same persone several times and have a good price, (often cheaper than Value depending on season) and we like the Boardwalk too... plus walking to EPCOT and DHS is convenient with 3 kids and 2 strollers. But if we could not get the points... We would be just as happy back at the POP. The once my youngest turns 3 we will have some number crunching to do to see what works out best for us! We do love POP though.
    Trish

Next Trip Jan 2015 1 night POR, then BWV renting points
    Sept 2013 BWV renting points
    Nov 2012 BWV renting points for my big 4-0
    Sept 2011 BWV renting points
    Sept 2009 POP
    Sept 2008 POP
    Sept. 2007 POP
    Sept 2003 ASMu

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Josh.

Thanks Ginny.
    I'm at AoA LM rooms Dec 9-14.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Laura.

Thanks Trish,
    Love the EP resorts. Only prob I have with them is the lack of CS options.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

not crazy...it just depends on what your looking for...If I were going with kids in the six to thirteen range who were prone to do the park commando thing the values are perfect...I love the over the top theming, especially the giant icon/wienie things.
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow
    CR 74, 7, 11 Offsite 79,80,98,00,8 (2) Sports 94 DD 02 AKL 05, 08 AKLV 8 WL 6, 10 POP 07, 13 Movies 08 CBR 08 Swan 08 POFQ 08,11 CSR 08,13 FWC 09,13 Music 09 SSR-Tree 09 POR 10 12 Poly 10 (2) YC 10, BC 10, GF 10, AoA 13, OKW 13, Dream 11, next fwc 1/2014

Post Thanks / Like

Not crazy at all. If it works for you why change it???
    Denise

Resorts we've stayed at in 20+ trips: ASMo, ASMu, ASSp, PC, CSR, CBR, POR, POFQ, WL, AKL Jambo, AKL Kidani, Poly, Contemporary, BC, YC, BWV, OKW, SSR, Swan, Shades of Green, Vero Beach, Disneyland Resort

Next Trip: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think you are crazy at all.

We tend to stay values or deluxe. but my kids are younger and resort time is just as important to them as park time. We pretty much have to have a pool slide so values is usually out for us. And we often have 5 of us which pretty much forces us into a deluxe. But I've stayed at POP and think the values are fine. We all have our own preferences.

I am trying out AOA too. I'll be staying (without the kids) at the end of the month.
    Cindy aka AgentC
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations, Dining, Movies, TV, Music & Musicals

Post Thanks / Like

I prefer value prices and I really can't see the big deal over a few more square feet and about 10 inches larger bed, a slide for a pool I don't use, and a hot tub that is not hot enough to help my aches and pains.

but my family prefers the slide, hot tub and buses of the moderates.... and I travel with them so there you go..
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

If it was completely up to me, I would stay at Pop Century almost every time. I love it there in the 50s area. If I didn't have a plan to stay at every resort or if the people I was going with didn't care, I would stay at Pop every time.
    I'll meet you at the Rainbow Bridge.

Post Thanks / Like

We have only stayed at the Values, & for us it comes down to "Value"! We are not at WDW for the resort, we are there for all the magic we experience everywhere, but most concentration is on the parks! We spend so little time at our resort, so it would be preposterious to spend more $ to spend a couple of hours at a pool or for the bed we sleep in or where we park our luggage! But I must add, Pop is a beautiful & lively resort, we want for nothing!

Lucky for us all, that WDW offers so many choices! To thyself be true! To each his own! And many thanks to Disney Glutton :Whatever floats your boat"! Here, Here!
    Shari
    -"There's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow..."

'02 - All Star Movies
    '04, '05, '06, '10, '11, '16, '19, '21 - Pop Century

'08 - Offsite/Pop Century
    '13, '21 - Offsite
    '17 - Port Orleans/French Quarter!

Post Thanks / Like

Of course you're not crazy. There is a reason the Values are SO big and SO popular. Lots of people love them.

There is no reason to feel that you have to justify it.

Some people HAVE to drive a BMW or Mercedes, but some people are just fine driving a $5,000 used car. DIfferent strokes for different folks.

I can tell you, if you love the values in general, you will probably really love the Art of Animation!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks again everyone for the support

I have heard some people say that they would not even go to WDW if they had to stay at a "Value" resort. I just wondered if there were others that liked the "Values."

As far as pools go: I rarely even get in one while I am at Disney and I have never gotten in a hot tub on Disney property.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74

Post Thanks / Like

When we have our kids, we choose a resort that has queen size beds due to our son being so very tall. When it is just the two of us, we choose the values as we are never there -- just to sleep and the beds are fine with just us.

No, you are not crazy. You just know what you like!!
    "Girls, come on. Leave the saving of the world to the men? I don't think so."
    - Elastigirl

Post Thanks / Like

We love POP. We have stayed at CBR, POly & ASMo.

I had wanted to book AoA for our next trip, but we would be in LM and the big blue pool was too far to take a quick swim.
    We have always stayed in the 80's at POP and love it there. We are close to the computer pool & it is a quick walk across the parking lot to the bus stop.

So we are booked with 2 rooms at POP for next year. Something about POP just feels like "home= comfortable" and I couldn't imagine not staying there again.

So for us, we too love a value resort, we aren't there enough to justify the cost of anything bigger and with 5 now ( baby will be 2 next year, but need the room) 2 rooms are cheaper.

With that said I wouldn't turn down an upgrade, I don't think?
    1999 off site- July
    2001 All Star Movies- Sept
    2004 CBR-Oct
    2005 Poly won free from Disney-Jan
    2007 POP-Oct
    2010 POP-Oct

2013POP - Oct First trip /all 3 kids- DD's 1st
    2014 All Star Movies-Nov / Mother son 2 day visit, after college tours
    2016 POP-Sep

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all. We prefer the Value resorts. I do not get my money's worth if I am paying $300+ a night for a room. If I were spending that much on a room, I would not need park tickets. I would have to stay in the room for 18 hours to think I am getting my money's worth. If I spent that much time in a room, I might as well stay home and save the $300 a night.
    1 Week at Wyndham Bonnet Creek 06/17/17 - 06/24/17; 1 Week at Orange Lake Resort 06/24/17 - 06/30/17; 1 week at OKW 12/03/17 - 12/10/17

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: