Quantcast Am I the only one that chooses the "Value" resorts over all others? - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

For the cost savings and the food courts, the Value resorts are our choice. If we would spend more time at our resort when we're there, we'd probably stay at a Moderate or Deluxe.
    Steve (aka brownie)
    INTERCOT Staff: Accommodations & Mousellaneous
    ASMv 4/00, 10/01, 11/03, 5/21
    ASMu 8/12, 11-12/22
    AKL 6/18
    BC 9/94
    CSR 8/14, 3-4/22
    POP 11-12/10, 3/12, 10/12, 7/17, 4/22
    POFQ 10/01
    POR 9/04, 1/16, 11/19
    WL 12/03
    Disneyland 6/07, 1/15
    Disney Dream 8/14

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Love, love, love the Values!!!! I have been saying it for years. They are the only (imo) DISNEY resorts that actually feel like Disney to my family. The kids can run around and have fun without worrying that they are bothering other guest. The only problem is we have out grown the smaller rooms and opt now to rent condos off property. I need at least two full rooms and having the kitchen with washer and dryer helps a lot. We might not stay for a week or more, but I just need more space and cheaper prices then what Disney can offer in a larger room. There are so many nice resorts off property for our price point that we can actually stay longer. When the kids were little the All-Star resorts were the best money could buy. And we sure did get our monies worth... Awesome memories and met great people from all over the world
    Been there, done that and going back!!! See ya real soon !!!

Post Thanks / Like

Well, I think you're crazy. I've stayed at moderates on 4 trips, AKL on 1 trip, and AllStarMov on 1 trip. I'll never stay at a value again after my experience. The rooms are just way too small. No slide at the pool for the kids. Bus service is sloooooow, not to mention everyone with an ECV stays at the Values. The deluxes are a bit too much for me. But I love the moderates. It's more money, but you get more bang for your buck. The resort isn't all important, but it's still a big factor in my vacation. I'll always go moderate... until my 1 year old grows up and I'm forced to stay at AoA suites with a family of 5.
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Disney Hungarian View Post
    I have stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (including Club.) I have now decided that I do not want to stay in anything other than a Value resort. I have gone so far as to refuse upgrades now. Am I insane? Am I the only one?
    Here's my thought. First off, you should do exactly what you like, whether it is staying at a deluxe, moderate, value, DVC, or off-site. If it works for you, you should do it.

As for me, I'd much rather stay at a deluxe or moderate, but the sticking point is price. If I can stay three nights at a value for one night at a deluxe, that may be what I'm going to choose. There's no way I'd have been able to save up for a 14 day trip if I wanted to stay at a deluxe, so this year we went value. In 2010, we went for 10 days and stayed at a moderate. If at either of these, I was offered a free upgrade, I'd have likely taken it, depending on the choices, but I've never gotten that lucky. We were also offered great bounce-back deals during our stay, which it killed me to pass up.

The moral of the story is, no, you are not crazy!
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify my position on upgrades:
    If I had wanted to stay at another level, I would have booked it that way. I have been blessed with so many trips now that it would not be the "magical upgrade" that it would be to someone else. Since it truely would not make or break my trip to accept or decline the upgrade. I choose to pass on one in the hopes that another family may enjoy it more fully.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

No

Post Thanks / Like

Not at all wierd. The value resorts are great, you only spend limited time there anyway. (People who "wouldn't go to WDW if they had to stay in a value" are the ones who are nuts!)

Would I love to go moderate? Sure, just because they are a little better in certain ways (more choices of food places, fancier pools, etc.) So if budget were not an issue, I would probably go moderate all the time, but that's my upper limit.

I have stayed at a deluxe (on someone else's dime), and honestly, it was TOO fancy for me. Nice to visit for a special dinner, but I don't see myself ever staying a whole vacation at a deluxe even if I could afford to.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

That's not nuts at all. You gotta go for what you want. It doesn't matter what anyone else does!

We happen to stay at the AKL because we LOVE the theme and just can't get enough of the ambience. We end up spending alot of time at the resort, so in a way the price is more justified for us. But I can see where staying at a moderate or value would be a good option for someone who is not at the resort alot. Or even if you are, if that's what you like, then go for it!! I do think that Disney resort pricing has gotten a little high, so we only go when we can get a good deal on the room. I've never paid full price for the room. The deluxe resorts are very cost prohibitive.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

If I had wanted to stay at another level, I would have booked it that way. I have been blessed with so many trips now that it would not be the "magical upgrade" that it would be to someone else. Since it truely would not make or break my trip to accept or decline the upgrade. I choose to pass on one in the hopes that another family may enjoy it more fully.
    It's so heartening to know that people like you exist! Thank you for being so giving...I wish more people had that attitude.
    1980-2001 CR;CBR 2001 AKL 2002 AKL 2003 AKL 2004 AKL; CB; AKL 2007 WL 2008 AKL 9/09 AKL Jambo 12/10 AKL Kidani 9/11 AKL Kidani 9/12 AKL 12/12 AKL 5/13 AKL 12/13 SS 9/14 BLT 12/14 SS 2/15 Aulani DVC 7/15 CBR 10/15 Yacht Club 12/16 DS 7/17 Aulani 01/19 POR 08/19 Yacht Club

Post Thanks / Like

Smile

I'm at AoA LM rooms Dec 9-14.
    We will also be spending part of our Dec.stay at AoA [Dec9-15]

Post Thanks / Like

No. I love POP. When we want more space we can get 2 rooms for the price of a moderate and be really comfortable. 2 queens in a moderate does not compete with 4 fulls and 2 baths.
    Boardwalk
    Animal Kingdom Jambo
    Coronado Springs
    POP
    POP
    POP
    POP
    Riverside

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know if you're CRAZY (has your mother had you tested? ;-) but I must admit the only reason I would stay at a Value is to save money and I would never turn down an upgrade

Post Thanks / Like

It seems every year we talk about going Moderate or even a shorter trip and stay at a deluxe. when i was a kid i always wanted to stay at the Contempary. In fact that is still in my top 50 things to do before i die.
    but every year we go back to the Value. For me, it doesn't make sense to upgrade. We're never at the resort very long, just to clean up, and sleep.
    I'd rather spend money on shirts, mouse ears, and other trinkets....
    someday though i will stay at the contempary. maybe when i have kids.
    Have A Magical Day-1970-1989-offsite, 2002-DLR, 2003-DLR, 2005-Sports, 2007-All Music, 2008-POP, December 12-21 2009-Pop, January 16-18, 2010-Disneyland. Disney Sports-Feb 1-6, 2012, Disneyland-December 7 and 8, 2012, DIsney Pop-Feb 1-5, 2013 (my son's first trip.)

Post Thanks / Like

I think if you like something so much, stick with it. I prefer the deluxe (Poly mainly) for the convenience of them to the parks. But I like moderates too and will be trying a new moderate on our next trip. I have yet to try a value resort. If I have the $ to do so, I will always book moderate, as we feel it gives you more resort to relax at for the $.
    Tara

"It's a Small World after all..."

Post Thanks / Like

I like Pop, and it is my preferred resort, but have not stayed at any of the All Stars resorts.

I have stayed in a BWV studio room and also at Caribbean Beach.

I liked them all, but since I do not spend much time at the resort, the cost involved with Moderate and above accommodations doesn't make sense to me. I would much rather save the money and stay longer.
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

I can understand only wanting to stay at a value. They're pretty sweet, actually. Even though we haven't stayed there for years, we still love ASMovies. We have never tried POP.

However, that will change! My wife has declared that we will stay in *every* resort at least once. We've done all of the All Stars, and now we need to try POP and AoA.

That said, the reason we don't stay at the Values anymore is because there are five of us, and we don't fit (and i've never seen it when two values are cheaper than one mod.) Plus, we love having a fridge, we do enjoy the pools/hot tubs/water slides and we think that the food courts at the mods have better options than the values (but, again, we've never tried the POP or AoA food courts).
    2002 - 2022: 20+ visits (POR, BW, All Stars, VWL, CSR, BLT, BC, SSR, CB, Dolphin, OKW, Poly, offsite x8)
    DL - 1996, 2019
    Next up - January 2023 short trip! We just want to try that 50th Anniversary chocolate monstrosity at Mexico!

Post Thanks / Like

remember values now have refrigerators and I know Pop has a curtain separating the sleep/dressing areas.

do the all-stars have the curtain yet??
    first visIt: November 1973
    next planned visit: October, 2013 with friends
    resident Fairy Godmother

hearts are warmed when friends meet

see ya real soon

~*~*~*disneydeb*~*~*~

Post Thanks / Like

I have stayed at all levels of WDW resorts (including Club.) I have now decided that I do not want to stay in anything other than a Value resort. I have gone so far as to refuse upgrades now. Am I insane? Am I the only one?
    Not at all! I don't go to DisneyWorld to stay in nice hotels; I don't plan to be in the hotel for terribly long stretches of time. So it doesn't make sense to pay more for something that doesn't really matter that much to me. Stick to your guns. You're not crazy, and definitely not alone.
    EJ in Houston

3-16 -- Port Orleans Riverside
    11-12 -- Pop Century
    11-11 -- Animal Kingdom Lodge
    11-09 -- All-Star Sports
    11-07 -- All-Star Sports
    11-05 -- All-Star Sports
    09-95 -- Off Property
    3 prior visits as a child beginning in '72 -- Polynesian/Contemporary Resorts

Post Thanks / Like

I definitely get what you are saying here, though perhaps for a different reason. I'm a planner, and one of the first things I decide when I plan a trip is the resort at which I'm going to stay. When I was sitting at home and contemplating the possibilities of an upgrade, I was torn. Of course I would have preferred to spend 14 days at Wilderness Lodge, or even Port Orleans, but a last minute resort change may have thrown me off for the whole trip. Again, I'm a real planner, so a small part of me would have been a little disappointed not to have stayed at Pop Century after almost two years of planning and anticipation. I really wanted that Tie-Dye Cheescake!

Still, I think if I ever get offered a free upgrade, there will be a good chance I'd consider it, especially if it's a resort I might never get to stay in otherwise.
    Viva Darth Macho!
    APR '98: Wilderness Lodge, 9 days, Honeymoon
    OCT '99: Coronado Springs, 8 days, Halloween
    AUG '03: All Star Music, 8 days, Summer Fun
    AUG '10: Port Orleans Riverside, 10 days, Summer Celebration!
    AUG '12: Pop Century, 14 days, My Dream Trip!
    AUG '17: Hoping!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by disneydeb View Post
    remember values now have refrigerators and I know Pop has a curtain separating the sleep/dressing areas.

do the all-stars have the curtain yet??
    I was just at AS-sp the end of August. I have been trying to remember. Then it hit me. I stay in the rooms with the roll-in shower and they have a sliding door seperating the whole bathroom from the room. Sorry I couldn't answer this one.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: