Quantcast Hurricane Sandy - Page 3

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Hurricane Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Starting to hear that at least a couple Intercotees came home to devestation after ICOT15.

Let's all send out tons of Pixie Dust and Prayers to our members who have suffered losses from this storm.

Hopefully we will hear from them soon, although we all know that their priorities right now will keep them away from posting here. It's going to be a long road to recovery for many folks.

Intercotees: Shout out if you need assistance! Our community is strong and far reaching.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I was vey, very lucky to only lose power for around twelve hours. Seeing the news and driving around Central Jersey yesterday shows me just how lucky I am.
    Quote Originally Posted by BrerGnat View Post
    Intercotees: Shout out if you need assistance! Our community is strong and far reaching.
    One way I can think of is if anyone lives within driving distance from the affected areas, let us know if you have open gas stations with not too long of lines. The few stations open here have 2+ hour long lines with tempers flaring, and most of those are going to run out if they havn't already. I know most people here would gladly spend a few hours on the road and spend a few gallons of gas to fill up containers and not have to wait on line for hours, without even a guarentee that the station will still have gas after the wait.
    Jeff

Post Thanks / Like

I'm about 4 hours away from the worst hit areas here in Ithaca, NY but if ANYONE needs help, clean clothes, water, food, etc. please let me know and I will drive down this weekend. I'm only 2 hours from Clarks Summit, PA or 3 hours Monticello, NY if anyone can make it out there to meet me. Do not hesitate to send a PM. My prayers are with you all.
    ~Nikki~
    Last Trip: February 2024
    Next Trips: April 2024

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Ed View Post
    What town was that, Dulcee? I've got family in that general area.
    Ed my parents live in the Lavallette/Seaside/Mantoloking area.

The area is destroyed. Beyond total belief. Of the three towns it appears Lavallette has faired the best. Seaside and Mantoloking are complete and total losses. The Mantoloking bridge has been deemed dangerously unstable due to a house lifting off its foundation and striking the bridge. My parents are still on island, they have connections to supplies from my brother who was able to get on island via a boat.

They've been checking on pets left behind by those who've evacuated and are staying as strong as possible. This cold spell thats starting may drive them off island in the next few days.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maleficent's Dad View Post
    Thank you, Chris. My concern? The SURGE of water coming up... I'm on the
    Long Island Sound side of things, so there's not a whole lot of room for the water to go.
    Does anyone that knows Frank know how he fared.

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Ed my parents live in the Lavallette/Seaside/Mantoloking area.

The area is destroyed. Beyond total belief. Of the three towns it appears Lavallette has faired the best. Seaside and Mantoloking are complete and total losses. The Mantoloking bridge has been deemed dangerously unstable due to a house lifting off its foundation and striking the bridge. My parents are still on island, they have connections to supplies from my brother who was able to get on island via a boat.

They've been checking on pets left behind by those who've evacuated and are staying as strong as possible. This cold spell thats starting may drive them off island in the next few days.
    My prayers are with your family. Friends of mine from Ortley that did evacuate we're told they're considering shuttleing home owners in so they can see if they still have homes but will not be allowing them to stay yet. Maybe your parents can hook up with one of the shuttles for a way out.
    - Lynn -
    INTERCOT Staff: Theme Parks, DVC

Post Thanks / Like

Default Red Cross/Springsteen/BonJovi Telethon

For anyone able to help out, Bruce Springsteen and Jon BonJovi have spearheaded a telethon for the Red Cross. Others are jumping on board to help too.

Airs Friday, NBC, 8P est
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

I hate to hear so many of our Intercot family are impacted, but glad so many of you are safe. I was definitely hoping to be wrong on this forecast!

I'm working with UMCOR arranging relief efforts through the United Methodist Church. Any of you that want to give financially, UMCOR uses 100% of donations to help survivors. None of the money donated goes to overhead. The spot is at umcor.org
    Chris, aka Strmchsr
    INTERCOT Staff: Vacation Planning, Guests with Special Needs, and Weather Guru

Post Thanks / Like

My thoughts are with everyone in our Intercot family affected by Sandy this week.

My boyfriend and I live in Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, and we are on our 4th day without power. Luckily, the power outage seems to be the only damage, as there doesn't seem to be any damage to our house, or our property. I am quite surprised considering we are surrounded by tall trees that could have easily come down on us during the storm.

We live in an old farmhouse that was built in the 1850's and the house was built so solidly that we couldn't even hear the storm while we were sitting in our living room. It wasn't until we looked out the window that we realized just how bad it was. I was so worried about getting flashlights and candles ready that it didn't even occur to me to bring in the patio furniture on our front porch. Luckily, all it did was tip over. We got a little water in our basement, but the floor slopes into a drain so there was no clean up required.

Our power company said we should have it back by 11pm tonight, so we'll see if that actually happens. Stay safe, everyone!

Post Thanks / Like

The storm was horrible we still do not have power but everyone is safe. My parents have a home in beach haven west and they have flooding and mud inside the house. Someones boat is in their driveway and someones hot tub knocked down the fence.

Schools are closed for the entire week and it doesnt look promising for next week. We dropped some donations at the storm shelter today and Jon Bon Jovi was there visiting the evacuated residents which seemed to brighten their day. This is his home town and there was alot of devastation of houses along an area of the Raritan River.

We were planning on leaving Saturday morning for Disney but are not sure power will be back and dont know about the gas situation along the way down. No TV or internet access just my husbands phone.

BWV & HH

Post Thanks / Like

Question Gas availability

Quote Originally Posted by Scar View Post
    I was vey, very lucky to only lose power for around twelve hours. Seeing the news and driving around Central Jersey yesterday shows me just how lucky I am.One way I can think of is if anyone lives within driving distance from the affected areas, let us know if you have open gas stations with not too long of lines. The few stations open here have 2+ hour long lines with tempers flaring, and most of those are going to run out if they havn't already. I know most people here would gladly spend a few hours on the road and spend a few gallons of gas to fill up containers and not have to wait on line for hours, without even a guarentee that the station will still have gas after the wait.
    ***My sister & her family live in Orange County NY-[Middletown/Goshen area] there are some areas w/o power but I know there are open gas stations with gas in that area***

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Missymouseworld, once you get out of your area south you will be able to get gas. While the storm followed the east coast, from baltimore/dc south we are ok. If It were me, I would definatly get out of town asap. When we were hit by Isabel several years ago, we did not have power for 14 days, gas and food were scarce and we were very lucky to live in a great neighborhood were we all pitched in to help one another. Good luck.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by missymouseworld View Post

We were planning on leaving Saturday morning for Disney but are not sure power will be back and dont know about the gas situation along the way down. No TV or internet access just my husbands phone.
    If you are able, I'd still plan on leaving. The 95 corridor wasn't hit too hard and you should have no issues finding gas outside of your immediate area. If you have enough gas to get a couple hundred miles out, you should run into no issues on the drive down. Just make sure you dispose of any food that was in your refrigerator/freezer before you leave!
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We fared fine here in Northeastern MD, as most people who I know that live in my immediate area (Elkton, MD, Newark, DE, Landenberg, PA and Oxford, PA) never lost power. Hardly any trees fell. But everyone else I know lost power, and they were in multiple states (NJ coast and inland, Philly area, Northwest NJ, and Bel Air, MD). The odd thing is that the center of the storm passed over my house shortly after 11 p.m. on Monday (no wind or rain right then).

We lived at the NJ shore up until last year and I'd still rather be there now, no power and all. Even though half my old town had to evacuate (but not at my old house). It is home. Many people with whom I work didn't move when their jobs moved to MD and they commute, some stay for the week, others commute every day. Everyone there is stilll without power and still aren't at work.

There was a lot of devastation at the shore, and many places that I love were severaly damaged or destroyed (the Spring Lake boardwalk - gone, the drive along Route 35 from Bay Head to Seaside (damaged or destroyed). However, many other places that I love had little damage or were unscathed. Pier Village in Long Branch survived, Jenkinson's Aquarium in Point Pleasant Beach was OK, the 100 year-old carousel in Seaside survived, Cape May only had minor flooding and most people there had power throughout the storm.

So if you need anything, let me know and I'll do what I can to get stuff to you. I'm only two hours away.

By the way, if you need gas, a friend back home told me that the rest stops on the GSP have power and are being replenished with gas. So you may want to check it out.

Good luck.
    Amanda
    Mom of Jay and Sam

'Please stand clear of the doors. Por favor
    mantengase alejado de las puertas'

CR - Jun 76, 85 & 89
    BLT - Nov 11 & 13
    Poly - Jun 80 & Jan/Feb 07
    WL - Jun 97, Sep 05 & Dec 08
    Next - Jersey Week 2015 Baby!

Post Thanks / Like

There are no gas shortages here in South Jersey. The further away from NY/North Jersey you get, it should not be a problem to find gas. I am continuing to pray for all those who lack food, shelter, clothing, and other essentials. The news is so awful.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy

Now they're saying a possible Nor'Eastern next week for NY/NJ. I don't think the area can bear it.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VWL Mom View Post
    Now they're saying a possible Nor'Eastern next week for NY/NJ. I don't think the area can bear it.
    Yeah, I see what's being spoken about in the models. However, most of the reliable models keep the system just off the coast. NY/NJ would be on the western side of the system and have minimal impact. Also, most don't develop it into a full blow nor'easter until it gets closer to the Canadian Maritimes. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, etc could see a definite impact, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned for another big impact for NY/NJ. I'll keep an eye on it, though.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Yeah, I see what's being spoken about in the models. However, most of the reliable models keep the system just off the coast. NY/NJ would be on the western side of the system and have minimal impact. Also, most don't develop it into a full blow nor'easter until it gets closer to the Canadian Maritimes. Nova Scotia, Newfoundland, PEI, etc could see a definite impact, but right now I wouldn't be too concerned for another big impact for NY/NJ. I'll keep an eye on it, though.
    Thanks for this. I just got a call from my mother (who's still out on the barrier island sans gas, electric and water) frantic over the threat of another storm system.
    "One little spark of inspiration is at the heart of all creation, right at the start of everything thats new, one little spark lights up for you!"

șoș

Mom to our little Prince Everett and Princess Adelaide
    August 2020 Caribbean Beach!
    Not all treasure is silver and gold, mate.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Strmchsr View Post
    Thanks for that info Chris.
    - Lynn -

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dulcee View Post
    Thanks for this. I just got a call from my mother (who's still out on the barrier island sans gas, electric and water) frantic over the threat of another storm system.
    Local media is really hyping it.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PirateLover View Post
    Local media is really hyping it.
    Which is really frustrating. That's emotional manipulation to get ratings. There is a possibility of a storm and mid-Atlantic and New England coasts will probably get some rain, maybe some snow, and a little wind. Nothing major. Nothing you would even think about had Sandy not happened. It would be a non-issue normally. The evening models still have the worst impact off shore. So, yeah, there will probably be a storm next week but it's NOTHING like Sandy. It'll hamper some of the repair crews for 24 hours, but that should be about it. At least that's what it looks like right now. Should it come closer to shore, the impact will be a little greater, but still nothing out of the ordinary.
    Chris, aka Strmchsr

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: