Quantcast Netflix or Hulu plus

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Post Thanks / Like

Default Netflix or Hulu plus

We have had Netflix for a few years- we pay for both the live stream and the movies that are mailed. It used to be cheaper but now we pay almost twice as much for both services.

Is Hula Plus a better choice? I like the tv show choices but can you get recent release movies with this? I dont want to pay for both but I could watch the 2nd season of Downtown Abbey if I get Hula!
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Surely someone can comment on this as I am wondering the same thing.

Thanks
    Scott C
    Aug 73 - Jun 74 Off Site
    Jun 75 - Jul 84 Dutch Inn
    Oct 78 - Nov 88 Poly - Honeymoon(88)
    May 97 - May 99 - Jul 00 - Jun 05 - Sep 11
    Sep 16 - Sep18
    Dixie Landings
    Feb 02 CBR
    Feb 03 WL
    Jun 07 POP by MJ
    July 09 POFQ through Magical Journeys
    Sep 10 OKW MNSSHP by MJ
    Sep 13 Poly

Post Thanks / Like

I don't think hulu + is where you'll want to look for movies... unless you like documentaries, foreign films or older movies. A lot of the money that they charge for their premium service goes to the TV networks to keep them happy. I know it takes a while to get certain TV shows on Netflix this is because they make deals with the networks and movie companies. I hope this helps in your decision. I have Netflix and use hulu for recent shows (before it becomes a premium episode)
    92 Fort Wilderness.
    96 Disney Institute
    2000 Off site
    2009 all star movies.
    2011 Port Orleans FQ
    2013 Port Orleans FQ
    2016 ??

Post Thanks / Like

Neither serves my need... Streaming content just isn't the direction I want to go in. I like the on demand aspect, however with ISPs capping service at pretty low amounts, using it as a alternative to cable isn't working. But that's he plan.

I cut the cord over a year ago and my DVR cup still runneth over.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Capt_redshirt View Post
    I don't think hulu + is where you'll want to look for movies... unless you like documentaries, foreign films or older movies. A lot of the money that they charge for their premium service goes to the TV networks to keep them happy. I know it takes a while to get certain TV shows on Netflix this is because they make deals with the networks and movie companies. I hope this helps in your decision. I have Netflix and use hulu for recent shows (before it becomes a premium episode)
    Thanks. I don't think I will switch. My daughters are happy with the instant play Netflix and if I can't get a good assortment of new movies it doesn't sound like it would be worth the change.
    We'll Go On....Off To Neverland

Wishes!

It's A Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow....Where Dreams Really Do Come True

Never Forget It was All Started By A Mouse....TTFN

Post Thanks / Like

I have both services streaming only. I find neither to be particularly great for newer movies unless you are in Canada. When I go to visit my inlaws up there I notice Netflix tends to have more newer movies. My biggest issue with hulu plus is i find shows tend to go "web only" either mid season or shortly after this season. This is frustrating because to me if I am paying for something, I shouldn't be blacked out of it where as people that just go to hulu.com can view it without paying a dime.
    -Chris R.

"We now face the danger, which in the past has been the most destructive to the humans: Success, plenty, comfort and ever-increasing leisure. No dynamic people has ever survived these dangers." --John Steinbeck

Post Thanks / Like

There will always be a lag until newer movies are available for streaming. It's something like 90 days from the time it's released on DVD. That is some sort of contractual thing with the studios/distributors because they want people to go out and actually purchase the discs rather than watch them streaming.

I personally really like Netflix. It has more than enough content to keep us all happy, and we are okay with waiting awhile until stuff is available to stream. Just find something else to watch in the meantime. And, if we really want to watch something sooner, we just get the disc via mail.
    Natalie
    INTERCOT Staff: Disneyland Resort-California, The Water Cooler

Post Thanks / Like

We have Roku and subscribe to both Netflix and Hulu Plus, along with some other channels. It's a great alternative to network or satellite TV.
    DD is headed back this summer for a 2nd tour as a CP Intern!
    Time to renew our annual passes.

Last trip was Mar 2015
    Next trip is Aug 2015
    Began with day trips in 70's
    Too many trips to count

Post Thanks / Like

We have streaming-only Netflix and I'm also very happy with Amazon Prime free instant videos. There's some overlap between the two, but not for all the shows I like to watch. For example, Netflix streams The King's Speech, but on Amazon you have to pay for it, and Amazon Prime has the entire West Wing series for free and Netflix doesn't stream it, etc.

You can watch Amazon prime videos on XBox too.

When I was researching HuluPlus I didn't find the content compelling enough for me to pay for.
    Many visits over 35+ years!
    DVC member since 2004 (SSR)

Stayed at: Bay Lake Tower, Polynesian, Contemporary, Wilderness Lodge, Boardwalk, Beach Club, Dolphin, PO Riverside, AS Sports, AS Movies, Saratoga, Vero Beach, Hilton Head, Aulani, Disneyland Hotel, and Grand Californian.

Post Thanks / Like

I have had netflix streaming for a long time, and am pretty happy with the selection. I tried a free trial of hulu plus and found it more difficult to navigate, and couldn't find much I wanted to watch there. Definitely nothing for movies.

If I want something newer, I just go to Amazon Instant Watch or to Redbox, both of which get movies quicker than netflix. Yeah, you pay, but $1-$3 is better than the theater or what blockbuster used to charge.

I don't find the delay time from theater/DVD to mass rental markets a big deal because anything I "can't wait to see", I probably have already splurged and gone to the theater.
    CBR - February 1992
    CBR - April 1993
    AS Music - February 1994
    AS Movies - February 2000
    Contemporary/DCL - April/May 2001
    AS Movies - January 2003
    CBR/DCL - September 2005
    Pop Century - May 2007
    Art of Animation - May 2013
    AS Movies - September 2013
    Pop Century - April/May 2015

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Epc0tphr34k View Post
    I have both services streaming only. I find neither to be particularly great for newer movies unless you are in Canada. When I go to visit my inlaws up there I notice Netflix tends to have more newer movies. My biggest issue with hulu plus is i find shows tend to go "web only" either mid season or shortly after this season. This is frustrating because to me if I am paying for something, I shouldn't be blacked out of it where as people that just go to hulu.com can view it without paying a dime.
    That's interesting. I live in Canada and I don't find Netflix offers us much - I renew my membership when we are in the US and cancel it once our vacation is over. I find Netflix USA offers so many more choices than in Canada. I don't even think we can get Hulu in Canada, never heard of it before!
    Lea-Ann
    The Creative Mind that Never Rests . . .

Dreaming of Disney.......
    Last Trip - Dec 14-21, 2012 AKL!!! Next Trip - TBA!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flower View Post
    That's interesting. I live in Canada and I don't find Netflix offers us much - I renew my membership when we are in the US and cancel it once our vacation is over. I find Netflix USA offers so many more choices than in Canada. I don't even think we can get Hulu in Canada, never heard of it before!
    A VPN located in the USA would allow you to watch the US version of Netflix. I did that for the Olympics, got a VPN in the UK and watched real coverage online through the BBC not the watered down version most Americans got to watch.

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: