Quantcast Splash Mountain Literally Is Falling Apart

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Splash Mountain Literally Is Falling Apart

Yes, we have all commented on the sad decline of a once glorious attraction known as Splash Mountain... Broken AA's, broken effects, etc...

Well, now there seems to be even a bigger issue... The attraction is literally falling to pieces... yes, that is right, the attraction is now falling apart... On October 18, rock work fell off the attraction and landed on ride vehicles (as people were in them) either on or near the control booth... Tarps have been put up over the queue and also in the ride itself... Why in the ride??? Well, the mountain has sprung a leak...

Where is the maintenance? And really, tarps being installed is the answer? Remember the temporary netting for Tree of Life (which still hasn't had any work done to it to fix the problem of branches falling off)? Well, they are still up... Are we supposed to really believe that Splash Mountain will be fixed when the ride goes down in January? I'm doubtful...

So, rock work or branches fall and the response is TARPS and NETTING... Yes, I feel so much safer...

Now, THIS is an issue we need to be discussing and blasting Disney for, not Starbucks sponsoring the Bakery... So, take to it people... Email WDW, call, post on their heavily edited and pixie dust filled Parks Blog, hit their Facebook and Twitter... Let them know we know about their lack of maintenance and how we all know they are not fixing issues that can cause serious bodily harm (or worse) to guests....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

I saw that story too definitely disconcerting to say the least
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

I have avoided this ride due to the "laughing place" fountains not working for 2 years. I hope Disney can get their priorities sorted. It is very difficult running a business of this size. Having to be accountable to stock holders and the public. It is not an easy position to be in. They seem to have gotten away from the fundamentals lately. I hope they can get it sorted soon. There was also the lamp post on EE striking a train car in the news recently. I want WDW to be here forever and am concerned with the current management in place that this may not be the case.
    Sean
    DL - '72, '74
    WDW - '84, '85, '86, Honeymoon '90, '93, '96, '00, '01, '03, '04, 2x '05, '06, 2x '10, 2x '11, 10x'12, 2x '13
    Booked for February 22-27

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post
    Don't worry... You'll be paying a heck of a lot more when prices increase drastically next year (to make up for the lack of any growth in WDW) for the right to have rock work fall on your head!!!!

And they wonder why attendance is stagnant at best to down in WDW....
    I predicted stagnant to down attendance a few years ago when they continued to raise prices while at the same time cutting services and amenities during the worst economic downturn since the great depression. They have to constantly run promotions discounting pricing in an attempt to raise attendance. I would think that some "genius" working for Disney would point that out at a meeting and say "Hey, do you think we have shot ourselves in the foot with reductions in quality and services and at the same time priced ourselves out of the market?"

I have personally observed the decline in quality at WDW and I am one of those that has greatly reduced my attendance in response, not because I can't afford it but because I am not satisfied with the lack of value I am receiving. We went from two or three trips to WDW per year to one every two years and are visiting other destinations instead. We actually stayed offsite in Orlando this past trip and only visited WDW two days. The other days we visited Universal, Busch Gardens and Sea World and that is unprecedented for us; we have always stayed onsite and visited WDW parks for at least five days. The magic that once was, has been diminished with mediocre restaurants, lack of maintenance and careless staff.

We are skipping WDW again this next year and instead are going to Washington DC and then to Williamsburg VA and visiting Busch Gardens. On a separate trip we are visiting the beach next summer. No WDW plans in the works for us right now.

We don't have to hammer their websites and as you pointed out, they will just delete or edit to their liking anyway. The way you get their attention is by posting your honest opinions on these types of forums where they have no control. They actually review these forums for trends in customer sentiment.

Post Thanks / Like

The condition of Splash Mountain (our family's favorite WDW attraction) makes me sad. It has been neglected for too many years now. But I think the absolute best way to get their attention is by voting with your wallet. That's what we have done. No visits to the parks since 2008. I miss it, but don't know when we'll be back.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I'd get on Disney if Splash had had its annual refurb but it wasn't done because of BTMRR 's lengthy refurb. It's almost two years since a scheduled refurb was performed and we are seeing the effects of missed maintenance. All the stuff would likely have been found in its annual maintenance.

It would have been a tough decision whether to take it down in peak tourist season this past summer. There would have been howls and what complaints would we have seen it the various forums. Complaining now but think of how people have complained about it being down for its regular maintenance. Lots of angry threads about that over the years. Glad I don't have to make those calls. Much too easy for people to criticize regardless of what's done.

But maybe they'll learn from this and consider a short downtime for BTMRR since it could miss its annual refurb this coming year.

As for tarps, I'm no engineer so wouldn't presume to know what's feasible to get the ride through to January.
    26 years staying at the Polynesian
    There's a great big beautiful tomorrow, shining at the end of everyday...
    Twenty six straight years staying at the Polynesian
    Next trip: October 2018

Post Thanks / Like

I have to concur... it is my favorite ride but it needs MAJOR attention. We rode during ICOT15... I think it was Friday the 26th. It was closed for 3 hours and then reopened. We got to ride once and then shortly after it closed again. That ride was a bummer. We got stuck for two minutes on one of the lift hills, I noticed missing AAs, the lights were flickering the entire time, and the audio cut out for a full minute while we drifted through before slamming into the stopped boat in front of us. The Laughing Place was a sad place. Not only were the water features not working (and have not been for a while) but nothing else seemed to be working in there either. I was so sad.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

1Disney and jooy, you are both right... One way we are going to get their attention is by not spending money there... I refused to head down this year... And I refuse to spend the time or money I used to spend there... I have cut the time I spend there from 10 days to maybe 4.... I refuse to buy their cheap merchandise or eat on property as much as I used to... My money is being spent in places where I am WOW'D... WDW just doesn't give us any of that WOW anymore... Even New Fantasyland is eye candy and little substance...

And 1Disney is right by voicing our displeasure... We have to... We need to flood FB and Twitter and fan forums... Problem is, there are too many people who will try to shout you down and scream from the mountain top that you are a hater or you are negative and ruining the forum... These people can't see that WDW is losing major ground and will defend Disney's mediocrity only because it is Disney... They can't seem to understand that some of us aren't happy with the product and that we are allowed to voice our opinions just as much as they can voice theirs...

We have to keep bringing the short coming up so management knows we are paying attention to the product and we aren't happy... Next year you'll probably be paying over $100 a ticket BEFORE tax... But, what are they giving us to justify the raise in cost? Poor maintenance, bland food, cheap merchandise, and cost cutting in entertainment and show ready rides...

I just wonder what it will take before TDO wakes up and realize their cheap ways is destroying WDW....

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

Post Thanks / Like

Billion dollar profit. Tree of Life branches and Splash Mountain rocks falling down. Regulators might find it hard to understand the state of maintenance once someone is injured due to this.

Post Thanks / Like

Wasn't there also some big safety issue with Rock n Roller Coaster? I seem to remember a quick fix going on with something there that needed more attention? I can't imagine why they would be taking risks with guest safety, and if so, I think it's going to take a lot more than "voicing our displeasure" to make a change. Unfortunately, and I hope not. But this doesn't sound good at all.
    Sherri
    Next: Aulani Celebration 10/2018 (50th)
    Past Stays: Contemporary, GF, Poly, BC, POP, POR, Dolphin, AKL Kidani, BLT
    1990 August Honeymoon- GF
    Delighted Disney Return Guest since 1981, DVC (BLT) since 2014

Post Thanks / Like

Hmmm....

http://www.intercot.com/discussion/s...d.php?t=192929

Let's not forget the the previously mentioned Tree Limbs from Heaven Walking Trails at AK, Big Thunder Mountain Demolition Derby at MK. These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For RnRC problem, it seems the list goes on, and on... What else did I miss?

Anyone noticing a pattern yet?

Post Thanks / Like

The state of disrepair for Splash Mountain really upsets me. It is our favorite ride. I see that the refurb schedule has it listed as down for 2 1/2 months, more than the normal January schedule, hopefully, they can really fix what needs to be fixed.

Karen

10/97 Dolphin w/ friends
    02/00 Off-site w/ DH
    09/06 POFQ w/ DD and friends
    09/07 AKL w/ DH, DD and DS!
    09/08 POR w/DS and friends
    05/10 CR w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/11 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    05/13 Royal Pacific US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS
    02/16 Hard Rock US/IOA w/ DH, DD and DS

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MizMissy View Post
    The state of disrepair for Splash Mountain really upsets me. It is our favorite ride. I see that the refurb schedule has it listed as down for 2 1/2 months, more than the normal January schedule, hopefully, they can really fix what needs to be fixed.
    Yup, it's going down for most of the late winter - hopefully things will look better after that.
    CMCTxMom

Next trips - Disney Cruise December 2013; WDW April 2014 offsite

Previous trips:
    BC Club level June 2013
    BCVillas Jan. 2013
    DLR - 2010, 2011
    Offsite-2007
    CSR-2006
    Offsite DLR, CA-2003
    Disneyland Paris - 2001
    Beach Club - 2000
    Multiple trips in the '80s and '90s

Post Thanks / Like

As was pointed out by another poster, the ride did not have its annual maintenance this year, so it is no wonder that the problems are greater this year. Consequently, Disney is taking the ride down for an almost 3 month refurb instead of the usual one month so as to have more time to address the increase in work which needs to be done.

So, remember this next time the post comes up about this ride's annual refurb. THIS is why it can't be skipped any year.
    Christine ºoº

Intercot Staff-Accommodations, Dining, Guests with Special Needs

Please support Intercot's Sponsors

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling that this refurb will start as a three month refurb and then about a month in they are going to realize it needs way more than a three month refurb and we will all see the refurb time extend once it starts. Mark my words. This ride is in desperate need of a year long refurb. And I never even rode it till January and it was barely working.
    ~*~Tonya~*~

1st = 1992
    ASMo = Jan. 6-12 '07
    POP = Jan 5-11 '08
    BWV = Jan 6-16 '09
    BCV = Jan 12-22 '10
    BWV = Jan. 21-29 '11
    BWV = Jan. 21-28 '12
    BWV = Dec. 8-15 '12
    BCV/BWV=Jan. 24-Feb. 1 '14
    BWV = Jan. 16-24 '15
    BWV = Jan. 29-Feb. 6 '16
    BWV = Jan. 20-28 '17
    BWV = Jan. 26-Feb. 3 '18

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    These Aren't the Droids You're Looking For RnRC problem,
    What was that one?
    Trista and Jeffrey
    Happily Ever After 10-30-11
    Disney Wedding Pavilion

Post Thanks / Like

Do the apologists actually believe that the TDO style maintenance would have detected rock work/cement falling issues? And are we actually defending a very dangerous situation because Splash Mountain didn't have its annual refurb? Really? I mean, I know Disney online community members have clouded judgments, but really? Wow... good thing none of you were in the ride vehicle when the cement came crumbling down....

We are talking about the same management group that 1) has not fixed the branch problem with the Tree of Life, thus making sure an accident like that doesn't happen again (no, they fix it by placing theme destroying nets that wouldn't catch one of those heavy branches anyway); 2) placing tarps over the Splash Mountain queue; 3) not fixing the cracks in the branches in Swiss Family Treehouse; 4) refusing to upgrade and update the 1970's track in Space Mountain because it was too expensive; 5) continuing to put off a Jungle Cruise refurb when it needs it, so much so that if they keep pushing it off, well, they will have new swamp land, let us not forget the deck where the queue is needed a complete overhaul long before they actually did it, and yes, the deck was collapsing and posed a major safety issue long before they actually did something about it... And you all think a minor few months will take care of all the issues that face Splash Mountain? Don't hold your breath...

Post Thanks / Like

Actually netting and tarps have been holding the upper deck at Wrigley Field for the past 5+ years. There has been no additional reports of falling debris (just a falling record lol). I know this isn't a apples to apples comparison but there might be some validity to using the nets.

That being said TDO needs to expand the budget for maintenance and stop putting band aids on things that need stitching.
    04 Honeymoon ,Swan and off property WDW
    05 1st Annivesary, off property WDW
    07 at All-Star Music WDW
    08 Disneyland
    09 AKV-Kidani Village WDW
    10 AKV-Jambo House/Boardwalk. 11 Kidani Village
    September 2012 Jambo House
    December 2013 Grand Californian

Post Thanks / Like

IF anyone from Disney is reading this please understand I love Disney but I am probably not going to visit anytime soon. I want to, I really do. But to visit and see my favorite place in the world falling down would break my heart. Please Disney fix Disney World, bring it back to that magical place where dreams come true. I miss being wowed walking around the Magic Kingdom. I miss the sparkling clean parks, Happy CMS and rides that made me want to stand in line for an hour to see it all again. Bring back the Magic Please.
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by seanyred View Post
    Actually netting and tarps have been holding the upper deck at Wrigley Field for the past 5+ years. There has been no additional reports of falling debris (just a falling record lol). I know this isn't a apples to apples comparison but there might be some validity to using the nets.

That being said TDO needs to expand the budget for maintenance and stop putting band aids on things that need stitching.
    TDO's losing streak is getting to be as long as the Cubs... LOL..

But, in all seriousness, yes, they do need to expand the budget for maintenance... Band aids do not make the problems go away...

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: