Quantcast Splash Mountain Literally Is Falling Apart - Page 2

INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Planning Guide Walt Disney World Disney Cruise Line Mousehut Mail WebDisney News INTERCOT: Walt Disney World Vacation Guide
News Discussion Theme Parks Resorts Info Central Shop Interactive Podcast INTERCOT Navigtion
Site Sponsors
  magical journeys travel agency
  INTERCOT shop

INTERCOT Affiliates
  disney magicbands & accessories
  disneystore.com
  disney fathead
  disney check designs
  amazon.com
  priceline.com

News
  site search
  headlines
  past updates
  discussion boards
  email update

INTERCOT Other
  advertising
  sponsors
  link to us
  contact us

INTERCOT Ads

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Hammer View Post

So, remember this next time the post comes up about this ride's annual refurb. THIS is why it can't be skipped any year.
    I get so sick of hearing this fallacy. People don't complain about it being refurbed. They complain about it being refurbed the same time very year (right before marathon weekend) and only announcing it after most people have made their plans.

2.     Please Support INTERCOT's Sponsors:
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Quadstriker View Post
    What was that one?
    Late 2010 RnRC was closed unexpectedly for a couple of days twice in two weeks. Rumors it was pretty big safety problem, but mums the word. This was only a few months after it actually reopened from a rehab.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyRox View Post
    Late 2010 RnRC was closed unexpectedly for a couple of days twice in two weeks. Rumors it was pretty big safety problem, but mums the word. This was only a few months after it actually reopened from a rehab.
    I remember this... I believe the issue was the shoulder harnesses... I don't recall if one broke in the middle of the ride or if they weren't locking in while the ride was running... I'm sure there is info on fan sites if anyone really wants to research...

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    I get so sick of hearing this fallacy. People don't complain about it being refurbed. They complain about it being refurbed the same time very year (right before marathon weekend) and only announcing it after most people have made their plans.
    And people complaining that rides are down for refurb is why WDW is now literally falling apart... Instead of feeling entitled to every attraction being open, people need to grow up and realize rides need regular maintenance... And TDO needs a set to tell these whiners to bad, so sad, bye bye if you don't like it instead of being scared and not refurbing their attractions the right way....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

I'd like to find out why this attraction is always having problems, and please don't give me the usual "Disney is cheap" answer. I keep hearing that a water ride is hard to maintain, and that's why it needs a month off every year. But PiratesOTC is a water ride, and the AAs seem to work just fine in that ride everytime I ride it. The same goes for the Jungle Cruise. So why do some water rides consistently work well, and the other not so well? Again, I dont want to hear that Disney doesn't care about us - they spend 1 of every 12 days of the year fixing SplashMt, and far less on POTC. What's really up with The Laughing Place?
    My name is Gator. You killed my Sorcerer's Hat. Prepare to die.

DL 2-17,8-17, 11-17; DL 2016; DL 11-2015; DL-DL-Hotel 2-2015; DL 2014; DL-Paradise Pier 2013; POFQ Dec 2012; CSR - Jan 2011; AKL-Kidani - Jan 2010; A.S.Mov - Dec 2008; CSR - Dec 2006; DL Feb 2006; CBR - Feb 2004; POR - Jun 2002

Post Thanks / Like

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by waymickey View Post
    IF anyone from Disney is reading this please understand I love Disney but I am probably not going to visit anytime soon. I want to, I really do. But to visit and see my favorite place in the world falling down would break my heart. Please Disney fix Disney World, bring it back to that magical place where dreams come true. I miss being wowed walking around the Magic Kingdom. I miss the sparkling clean parks, Happy CMS and rides that made me want to stand in line for an hour to see it all again. Bring back the Magic Please.
    I have to jump in here...

I totally agree that it is frustrating to see/experience rides being down - I got walked off Splash Mountain 3 weeks ago, and wasn't too thrilled about it. Our last trip, Space Mtn went down numerous times, we were ushered out of line twice. I am saddened to hear about the numerous other occasions of malfunction and the disrepair people are seeing. I, too, have seen my fair share, although not the instances mentioned here.

But really - I just had one of the nicest trips I've ever had, and although it may have been b/c I was also with some of the coolest Disney fans out there , I didn't find the parks to be filthy, the CM's I encountered were friendly, kind & helpful, we had MANY wonderfully magical moments and I walked away loving my vacation as much as I ever have. Now, granted... I haven't been going as regularly as some on here. But I do feel that 9 trips in 7 years give me a pretty decent perspective.

Yes, Disney needs to get some work done... and not just for asthetics sake, but more importantly, to be sure their patrons are safe. Yes, new CM's need a bit more customer service training - learning to think/act like many of us have come to enjoy and expect from Disney CM's is NOT a natural attitude, I'm sure, for many of the folks hired, even if they think it's "easy breezy" to be happy all the time. It's not. I agree with the people who think that DHS needs an update and some new life built into it, beyond just what they've recently done, and that that goes for ALL the parks.

But I confess to being WOWED by the new Fantasyland... not Storybook Circus, I admit I was a bit underwhelmed for however cool I DID find the concept of a "dueling Dumbo" ride. But everything else I found to be just beautiful - beautifully done, beautifully engineered. Maybe it's just b/c it's been SO long since I've actually seen something new at Disney that it just felt great to be REALLY looking at all the artwork and architecture for the first time... but regardless, it made me happy. It was a "feel good" place, and that for me makes it work.

In fact, an awful lot of our trip made me completely happy - silly grin happy - and I can say that w/o any reservation for all of our trips. Yes, we've had our issues w/ customer service... yes, we've missed out on rides that are having issues... yes, we've seen things that need to be worked on... but has it ruined our trip? Has it made us desire any less to go back? No. Have the increased costs held us back? Yes. I will admit that - and I agree that the increased costs while other things are being taken away is a GREAT frustration. But I still love to be there while I'm there, even if it has to be less often... and I still walk away happy.

So... please, let's not "throw the baby out with the bathwater", so to speak. Yes, I think we all agree Disney has a lot of work to do. But I hate to think that anyone can't find magic there, that it would come even close to be viewed as a place that is "falling down around us", regardless of the recent mishaps.
    Blythe

Past trips -
    3x offsite,May 06 CBR,Oct 07 I'cot 10,Dec 08 CBR,Jan 09 ASMu,Oct 09 CBR/AKL,Jan 11 AsMu,Aug 11 CBR, Oct 11 AKL,Oct 12 I'cot 15,Aug 13 CBR,Aug '14 mini AKL trip

Next -
    May '17 DL OR June '17 CBR

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gator View Post
    I'd like to find out why this attraction is always having problems, and please don't give me the usual "Disney is cheap" answer. I keep hearing that a water ride is hard to maintain, and that's why it needs a month off every year. But PiratesOTC is a water ride, and the AAs seem to work just fine in that ride everytime I ride it. The same goes for the Jungle Cruise. So why do some water rides consistently work well, and the other not so well? Again, I dont want to hear that Disney doesn't care about us - they spend 1 of every 12 days of the year fixing SplashMt, and far less on POTC. What's really up with The Laughing Place?
    I know you don't want to hear it but, honestly, it is shoddy maintenance due to cuts in the maintenance budgets... It is debatable about POTC looking good and Jungle Cruise working too... The issues with Pirates though really isn't water based (though some of the issues are)... And Jungle Cruise, well, like I said, if they don't fix what needs to be fixed, they will have a new swamp in Adventureland...

But, I am not sure it is due to the fact that Splash is a water ride... A lot of their rides are broken and not even close to show ready... We all know about Everest... Dinosaur has a ton of effects that have been either shut off or just never fixed... Soarin's film is dirty and the projectors are never cleaned so black spots appear all over the film...And those are only a few attractions....

So, I know, you don't want to hear it is because they are cheap but, well, they are cheap... Cutting maintenance staff and budget is the cheap way out... and as far as not caring, well we all know they don't... The Rizzo factor plays into their minds (they are tourists, what do they know?)... As long as people still come to the parks despite the condition and as long as people defend the mediocrity, why should they change? Though, upper management (not in Orlando but in Burbank) have finally acknowledged WDW's attendance has and is declining... So, it would be interesting to see how many of the TDO mis-management team is around when the house cleaning begins... I know we can say goodbye to Meg... I think we'll also be saying bye to Phil Holmes... Just wonder who else will be "retiring" when the time comes for the shake up....
    Son of Jor-El.. Kneel before Zod...

TRICIA JONES: I heard that you were going to propose to Brandi Svenning at some theme park. When are men going to learn that women want ROMANCE, not Mr. Toad's Wild Ride...

BRODIE: Hey, now, be fair. EVERYONE wants Mr. Toad's Wild Ride.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=DizneyFreak2002;2317296]TDO's losing streak is getting to be as long as the Cubs... LOL..

Best line I've read in a long time!

Next trip - New Years 2018!

Post Thanks / Like

Noooooooo.....not my fav MK thingy! This thred is more depressing than "Sophie's Choice" and "The Notebook" back-to-back, on a gloomy fall afternoon. I'm on my way now with a bucket of paint.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DizneyFreak2002 View Post

And people complaining that rides are down for refurb is why WDW is now literally falling apart... Instead of feeling entitled to every attraction being open, people need to grow up and realize rides need regular maintenance... And TDO needs a set to tell these whiners to bad, so sad, bye bye if you don't like it instead of being scared and not refurbing their attractions the right way....
    That is silly, and dare I say disingenuous. Once again, and I'll type slowly, the complaint is not that SM goes down for a refurb. It is that it goes down the same time every year. Specifically, right in the middle of marathon weekend,,,,,after most people have made their plans. What don't you get about that?

Post Thanks / Like

SM goes down at what is probably the coldest tie to go down, meaning there's probably less riders than any other time. Taking down a water ride at the height of the summer makes no sense.

Budgets have been slashed, maybe it takes a month because there are now 4 people doing the work of 8. Working for the mouse taught me a few things. One of them is, they think it's cheaper to let things break than prevent them from breaking. And when they do break, guest impact is evaluated before a fix is applied.

It's been evident to me for years there is less being spent on maintenance. Grass isn't cut as often, stuff that was done after hours is now done during normal hours, right in front of guests. I've seen trash inside rides for days (like the guest shoe that was in the underwater diving scene in Mexico for a full week). Call it whatever you want, I fully believe that the reason for these problems boils down to profits.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by A Big Kid View Post
    That is silly, and dare I say disingenuous. Once again, and I'll type slowly, the complaint is not that SM goes down for a refurb. It is that it goes down the same time every year. Specifically, right in the middle of marathon weekend,,,,,after most people have made their plans. What don't you get about that?
    Doesn't it make sense to close a water ride during the middle of the coldest part of the year? And let's be honest, by now are you really surprised that's its closed when you normally go? Come on guys, you've got choices, if you want to ride splash mountain, then you have 11 other months out of the year to ride it.

It's apparent with everything that's going on with splash, that a lengthy downtime for maintenance is required. When it is closed, are the same people complaining about it being in such bad shape going to complain about it being closed also?
    82 - Offsite
    85- Fort Wilderness
    88- Polynesian
    96- Offsite
    97- Offsite
    98- Offsite
    08 - French Quarter
    09 - Coronado Springs
    09 - All Star Sports
    09 - Pop Century
    09 - Off Site
    10- French Quarter
    11 - All Star Sports
    14 -Coronado Springs
    15 - All Star Sports
    17 - TBD

Post Thanks / Like

i would like, if I may, to take this conversation in a different direction....Way too much battling back and forth going on right now....

Since the New FantasyLand will be "officially" open as of December 6th, would it not behoove TDO to use this as the perfect time to do an extended rehab on Splash Mountain? Since there will be a number of new, and in their newness "crowd eating", attractions, the loss of Splash for a full year might upset some people who planned well in advance for their trip, but in the long run would be beneficial to the park.

It is not that long ago that Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean were all down for extended periods......Yes, people complained, but their trips weren't ruined.....
    -Bud

Walt Disney World:
    9/03 - CBR
    1/09 - BWV
    9/05; 2/07; 12/07; 9/08; 9/09; 9/10; 9/11; 12/13; 12/17; 4/18; 10/18, 4/23 - PC
    5/15 - POR
    1/22 - ASMO
    10/22 - ASMU

Disneyland: 12/15 - Paradise Pier Hotel

Next up: ???

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by PopPhan View Post
    It is not that long ago that Space Mountain, Haunted Mansion and Pirates of the Caribbean were all down for extended periods......Yes, people complained, but their trips weren't ruined.....
    Exactly. As we discuss quite often here on INTERCOT, it happens and is a necessity. Can't please all the folks all the time.

With that said, let's stay on track with the original purpose of this thread, which is the mess that is Splash Mt. and the fact that the lengthy upcoming rehab is greatly needed.

The back and forth at each other needs to cease.

Post Thanks / Like

I just read yesterday online that Disney has made a big profit over 2011. All parks saw an increase except for Disney World which saw a decline in attendance. Also the resorts had a loss with only 70% or the rooms filled. Disney said this was largely because of the new resort with 2000 additional rooms.

My point is that Disney is making money and raising prices. They will continue to do this and not fix things that need to be fixed as long as people continue to come. Is my vacation ruined because of broken rides and less then spotless parks no. However My vacations have gotten shorter and I don't go as often. I work hard for my money and I expect a certian level of entertainment when I go to Disney. They themselves set that bar so high from the begining and watching them lower the bar and raise the prices just rubs me the wrong way. Do I still love Disney ? Of course but I am starting to like other places a lot more than I used to.
    Last edited by waymickey; 11-14-2012 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling
    Disney Cruise 2017
    AKL 2016
    PORR 2015
    Beach Club 2013
    POP Century August 2011
    Disney Cruise Dream 2011
    Cruise Disney Wonder 2006
    Wilderness Lodge, 04, 06, 08, 10
    Allstar Movies 02
    Allstar Sports 96. 98, 00
    Offsite 2015 x2, 90,89, 85

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post
    Doesn't it make sense to close a water ride during the middle of the coldest part of the year? And let's be honest, by now are you really surprised that's its closed when you normally go? Come on guys, you've got choices, if you want to ride splash mountain, then you have 11 other months out of the year to ride it.

It's apparent with everything that's going on with splash, that a lengthy downtime for maintenance is required. When it is closed, are the same people complaining about it being in such bad shape going to complain about it being closed also?

That sums it up perfectly IMHO.
    Ed
    Senior Imagineer Emeritus

Welcome to the INTERCOT forums !

Post Thanks / Like

One thing I have to speak up on is the comparison to DL Splash Mountain. It may not be crumbling but it's not in great shape, either. The AA's look shoddy and drab and the whole thing smells like mold.
    ~M.~

All our dreams can come true, if we have the courage to pursue them.
    11 Trips to WDW
    1 Trip to Disneyland
    Many more to come
    Someday we'll find it, the rainbow connection, the lovers, the dreamers, and me.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing to remember is that Splash Mountain is one of the largest, longest and most complex attractions at WDW. It has many components , animatronics and features, and is also the most heavily ridden attraction at MK. That does not excuse management from doing proper maintenance, but it is an indicator of how much money it takes to keep this attraction in top operating condition. Splash was the most expensive attraction ever built by Disney at the time of its construction, and it probably takes the most money to maintain, being that it is so complex. So when budget cuts come, they affect Splash dramatically. And it is especially noticeable since so many guests love it and ride it so often. It is a shame that Disney has allowed the best attraction in WDW (IMO) to become so dilapidated and worn down that it is now falling apart. I hope they will make the effort to fully restore it to its original glory.
    1971 (age 15) MK was new!
    1974 off-site (Senior Trip)
    1982 off-site
    1988 off-site
    May 2002 AS-Sports, with DW & kids
    May 2004 Pop Century
    Feb 2005 Wilderness Lodge
    Oct 2006 Pop Century
    Oct 2008 Camped at Fort Wilderness
    Feb 2010 Cruise on the Wonder
    Dec 2014 POFQ for Christmas!

Post Thanks / Like

I'm not an engineer, nor do I play one on tv... but could it be that Splash has more problems than POTC, or Jungle Cruise, etc. because a lot of the water is "above" the ground?

What I mean is, Jungle Cruise's water is built into the ground, like an inground pool, right?

Whereas, Splash Mountain's rivers sit on top of each other, and on top of open air spaces, etc. All that water flowing through the ride track, plus the boats going through the rivers must weigh A TON. And structurally, I'm only guessing here, but I'm sure it's an engineering feat to hold all that weight of water when there's only open-air spaces underneath it all. So I can understand how parts might crumble on this ride more than on other rides where the water is built into the ground.

As I say though, this is just a rough guess. I could be totally wrong.
    ~ Carolyn ~ aka "CANADA!"
    Every year since 1979! Annual Passholder in CANADA!

* Old Key West
    * Saratoga Springs
    * Boardwalk
    * Coronado Springs
    * Contemporary & Bay Lake Tower
    * Caribbean Beach
    * Port Orleans Riverside
    * Fort Wilderness
    * Pop Century
    * All Star Music Movies & Sports

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ChipNDale79 View Post

I always travel in winter, and hate that sometimes rides are being rehabbed while I am there, but I know it is for the good of the ride, and the safety of the visitors. I too find the issues with the rides troubling, but hopefully they will get the ship righted quickly. I always have more hope than normal when it comes to WDW. I just keep thinking about POP Legendary Years rotting away being hidden by a thin row of trees and hope it doesn't get worse before it gets better.
    Last Ride Ridden - Test Track
    Last Eatery Visited - Tangerine Cafe

July 1984 (off WDW)
    June 1995 (off WDW)
    July 2005 (Pop Century)
    April 2008 (offsite)
    Feb 2009 (All Star Music)
    Feb 2010 (POP)
    Sept/Oct 2010 (Sports)
    Jan/Feb 2012 (ASMovies)
    Sep/Oct 2013 (offsite)
    Feb 2015 (POFQ)

Post Thanks / Like

Yes Disney needs to make sure that their guests are safe. No one is claiming that Disney is intentionally putting people in harms way.

Having been in the construction industry form more than 25 years I would bet that what is happening is "spalling". This is where concrete "overhardens" and cracks. The branches on ToL and SFTH are meant to move. There is water on all levels of SM. These are 2 things that cause concrete to crack, movement and water. Combine that with the hardening of concrete and you have what is happening.

Is Disney really cheep? I think not. I think they could prioritize their spending better. If I need to reshingle my roof I can not repaint the kitchen. Sorry the kitchen looks shabby. The roof takes priority.

There are realities that budgets dictate.
    23 Trips in 21 Years, Including 5 Disney Cruises, From Chicago
    Hopefully DisneyLAND summer 2014!
    DVC Member

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Share This Thread On Social Media:

Share This Thread On Social Media: